ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new MX5 (Shed Content)

I'm going to do the wheels on my silver one anthracite, the unpainted ally (i presume they come like that?) looks well worn on mine!

They're garbage! TA Technix ones apparently. They're exactly like ones you'd fit to the front of a Clio - I'll grab some photo's tomorrow when I chop up the bump stops.

My brown wheel fail is awesome. I think the next ones will just go satin black - can't seem to find a decent bronze colour anyway...

Homo spec mazda
How you are coping on those coilovers il never know, my friends got some racelands on his (which looks identical to your car) and its the only car ive been a passenger in and actually left the seat over a small bump.

To be honest Alex, its quite rusty... up close the sills could do with a bit of attention - you can see on my first set of photos that there's filler on there etc, but I don't think it'll require work for some time. Bear in mind mines a UK car, which are supposedly the worst for rust, and its 21 years old - I don't think its so bad. If you're getting one (which I highly recommend!) I'd get an import 1.8 with an LSD and just get classic car insurance or something if you can. I got this one because it was the cheapest I could find in reasonable condition and it was a UK car - so a bit cheaper on insurance.
But definitely get one! Big difference from French hatches in the best possible way!

Ohh the coilovers are terrible! Utter garbage. I was pissing myself on the way home from picking it up - kept getting thrown out of my seat over the slightest bump. And I've developed lower back pain... LOL. Going to chop as much off the bump stops as I can; its ridiculous! Need to invest in some decent coilies at some point, but they'll do for now I guess.

DCi 100
Which coilovers are on it Joe the ebay special 200 quid ones?

FYI a DCi100 is as fast as a 1.6. Still lurking on getting one but will see on mileage wise when I'm back at college come september. I doubt I can squeeze 120 miles out of £10's worth of petrol in one so.

Which coilovers are on it Joe the ebay special 200 quid ones?

FYI a DCi100 is as fast as a 1.6. Still lurking on getting one but will see on mileage wise when I'm back at college come september. I doubt I can squeeze 120 miles out of £10's worth of petrol in one so.

Yeah, just height adjustable cheapo ones. They're So much better now I've cut like 2 inches out of the bump stops.

I don't know about 1.8's or newer 1.6's but mine emptied a tank in about 250 miles on the way back from getting it... which is not great! Lol

Toyota MR2
Just bought one in white myself ;) Pretty much standard but big plans. Mines same age and everything. Only issue I've got is it has a Glass rear screen in the hood which someone decided it would be clever to just throw back. Thus f**king up the zip. But I cant complain as the car was a steal. There so much fun to drive so much feedback through the steering wheel its unreal. I wont even consider a clio sport anymore. Turbo conversion on an mx5 hell yes!

Just bought one in white myself ;) Pretty much standard but big plans. Mines same age and everything. Only issue I've got is it has a Glass rear screen in the hood which someone decided it would be clever to just throw back. Thus f**king up the zip. But I cant complain as the car was a steal. There so much fun to drive so much feedback through the steering wheel its unreal. I wont even consider a clio sport anymore. Turbo conversion on an mx5 hell yes!

White is for Hero's iirc ;)
Ahh, better than having a s**t plastic one - I can't see a thing out of mine. I believe you can just buy a new zip if you're any good with a sewing machine? Lol
Completely agree about the Clio comment - I'd never dream of owning one now. That seating position is just dreadful after coming from an MX5!
I think either a Turbo conversion or a rotary swap is the way forward... That's where my Student loan's going anyway! LOL.

Listerine & Poledo
Wheels look great like that!

May i suggest you get a new roof though. That vinyl one is starting to look a bit past it.

new mohair roof > Coilovers / Turbos / Other go-faster bits that may result in Pro-street ditch-finding

CBR1K, F21 125D
Don't bother with Mohair unless your really bothered about a show winning car, newer vinyl ones are great and as proven on many a topic on the owners club last / outlast the mohair.

Easier to keep clean too.

Its top down motoring, get a plastic window - it's lighter and just remember to fold it out before dropping the top, which is why they crease / crack.

Also alot of the decent half cages wont allow for the glass varient.

you can pick up near mint genuine vinyl ones for £100 and fitting is a pig but not impossible, or even easier if you get one on a frame!

Listerine & Poledo
Vinyl is alright, but if you want your roof down in the winter (you will), you'll just end up cracking it.

MOhair is easy to keep clean too, a horse-hair clothes brush sorts everything out.

As for the rear screen, true point that the glass ones dont go well with some roll bars (Mad Dog ones work fine though), but if you get the Mk.1 version of the mohair roof it can still have the zip-out screen.

FInally, on the easthetics. Why lower it, de-everything it, spent bucket loads on fancy trim, just to ruin it with a cheapo hood? Mohair looks far better and does last longer, without having to get precious with it.

That's only my first hand experience though

Wheels look great like that!

May i suggest you get a new roof though. That vinyl one is starting to look a bit past it.

new mohair roof > Coilovers / Turbos / Other go-faster bits that may result in Pro-street ditch-finding

Yes, a new roof would be ideal. It gets kind of boring sitting in a puddle everytime it rains... I'm going to try and seal it for now and cover it in chemical guys vinyl stuff so it looks acceptable, but its difficult to see where the water actually gets in... its just comes from everywhere! LOL.
Perhaps new tyres would be a good investment too... wet weather handling is Ermm interesting!
This thread is due an update anyway.

Listerine & Poledo
I always used Goodyear F1's on mine, but you're running the original 14's aren't you?

Looking at the picture of your interior (feat. roof), I'd imagine it's coming in over your windows. Mine looked very similar then during the winter I made the error of dropping the roof when it was cold and BOOM! fresh new splits.

Sealed it with various types of cover-over (not very well) and although it stopped leaking, it just looked awful.

THe Mohair roofs breath better too, seemingly, so less stuffy when you come backto it after being parked in the sun.... primarily though, they just look a lot better.

I lioke your how it is, in fact I'm about to show a mate who has an M-plated 1.8, just for some inspirations. No matter if they turned out right or not, those wheels do look tidy.

I always used Goodyear F1's on mine, but you're running the original 14's aren't you?

Looking at the picture of your interior (feat. roof), I'd imagine it's coming in over your windows. Mine looked very similar then during the winter I made the error of dropping the roof when it was cold and BOOM! fresh new splits.

Sealed it with various types of cover-over (not very well) and although it stopped leaking, it just looked awful.

THe Mohair roofs breath better too, seemingly, so less stuffy when you come backto it after being parked in the sun.... primarily though, they just look a lot better.

I lioke your how it is, in fact I'm about to show a mate who has an M-plated 1.8, just for some inspirations. No matter if they turned out right or not, those wheels do look tidy.

Yeah, standard 14's. They've got Firestones all round atm which are actually not bad - predictable in the way they lose grip etc in the dry, just in the wet you've got to be dead careful as there's not much tread left! Lol. Almost understeered straight into a curb on a wet roundabout when I first got it, then on the same day and the same roundabout I spun it! Being used to French hatches FTL.

Ohh thanks! I think the pictures flatter them somewhat though.. lol

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
They're perfect for a first RWD car IMO. I think if I'd have hopped straight into an S13 or a 328i I would have ventured into a hedge by now. Easily!
Awesome things.

I was suprised how nice it felt to drive tbh.
It was an import mk 1, 1.8, and in a dark blue colour. Had a mazda speed exhaust I think it was.

Agreed over an s13/14, i would probably be in a hedge too!

Wee bit of an update:

I ordered a JDM plate recess a few weeks ago, and that came this week, along with a new set of plates and front plate holder. So I think I'm Kind of legal now... lol

Before:

6045671631_a41a9fb2cb.jpg

MX5 by j0eyD, on Flickr

After:

6096434584_9fc7721858.jpg

DSC_0638 by j0eyD, on Flickr

Rear before:

6045675379_beaa68a967.jpg

MX5 by j0eyD, on Flickr

And after:

6096433966_7d436b41ea.jpg

DSC_0635 by j0eyD, on Flickr

Going to do a rear bumper chop soon to get rid of that gash fog light - just wire it up into the reverse light. Then I neeeeeeed some wheels!!

Listerine & Poledo
you've got wheels! :)

Do prefer the JDM number-plate set-up.

My Mk.2 always looked silly with the plate on the nose. When it came off, it was time to vinyl the numbers to the bonnet instead

I've made the decision to take it off the road for winter, save up a bit of cash and send it for a respray in January. Then I'll set about buying Proper coilovers and a good set of wheels.
So this thread will probably stay quite quiet until the new year, unfortunately...

I've made the decision to take it off the road for winter, save up a bit of cash and send it for a respray in January. Then I'll set about buying Proper coilovers and a good set of wheels.
So this thread will probably stay quite quiet until the new year, unfortunately...

You're just scared of the weather aren't you? f**k it, Just use and abuse it and and deal with the rust in spring. That's my plan.

Nah, I just can't afford £70 a month to keep it parked up in Manchester where I'll barely use it! I can use my dads garage to keep it stored for a few months FOC which is ideal! And that way, I know it's not going to get crashed into and written off.

Unfortunately wrapping isn't really an option - all the paint has started flaking, cracking and peeling, it's in horrible condition. I would definitely use it over winter - snow drifting would be awesome :D
But, I'm just about to move into a new flat and I need to be able to afford to live for the first three/four months, until I know how much I've got left to spend...

I'm doing this properly! It's just going to take time... I'm not a CS Millionaire :( lol