ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MX5 Number 2.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
The switch for my lights on the right hand stalk now does a full 360degree spin - it's quite the lottery as to when any lights come on... Quite exciting actually, especially when you're late for work FFS!

It's still not low.
Just ticked over to 120K and it's running fine. Pretty sure the brakes are binding slightly as there's a fair bit of drag going on. Got 30.1MPG over the last 260 miles too, which isn't great... Meh. Need a proper exhaust too, heard it from outside for the first time today.. sounds s**t. And I'm growing to really hate the rear bumper now, stupid POS.

8288385462_97be1b22d2_c.jpg

DSC_2175 by j0eyD, on Flickr

8288383662_548223eb42_c.jpg

DSC_2186 by j0eyD, on Flickr

8288384212_e9c291b42d_c.jpg

DSC_2184 by j0eyD, on Flickr

8287325241_7fef57d132_c.jpg

DSC_2181 by j0eyD, on Flickr

Listerine & Poledo
It takes twisty roads like a f**king hero though. Seriously, best handling car I've ever owned. Just needs a V8 tbh.

See, lows do not make for handling, only spinal injuries and lost bodywork.

It looks such a piece-meal shed.... I love it.

One day, a CS-based MX-5-a-thon is required.

Oh, and the alternative to a V8?

JDM-spec MX-6 Engine, mounts straight to the MX-5 gearboxes (5- and 6-speed)

Or, or course, crank-driven boost.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Classic thread, haha! Gotta love old fucked cars you can just rag the s**t out of. Mine is awesome too, we must have similar rear tyres, makes every roundabout an event, even at normal driving speed and low throttle...

Glad you finally agree about that exhaust! I couldn't believe my ears when I was in MediaCity that time. 'Oh, Joey's home...'

The thing for me was the sound it made rather than the actual volume. I think it was Turkish who said earlier in this thread that it sounded like a leaf blower, which is spot on really.

Must have done 1000 miles in it since the shell swap now and the only thing that's really letting it down is the brakes. I'm leaking fluid from one of the lines and annoyingly the new rear calliper I bought at the start of this thread has started sticking already FFS. Not ideal. Other than that, its fine really! I'm also finally getting used to not having power steering, so I'm having a bit more fun with it in the wet!
Got 4 new tyres waiting to go on (185 section of course) and a new throttle cable as my current one is absolutely disgusting in the way it operates.
Still love it. But at the same time, I can't stop looking at other silly cars that I want to buy. Don't know why I can't just be happy with one car!

Oh, and yes I know the rear bumper looks crap. It's a bit of fun. Christ.

Got 4 new tyres fitted today, so I had a bit of a play around with the wheels since they were off the car trying to make them sit where I want them along with the ride height.

8315102838_fbff4ca265_c.jpg

Wishful thinking by j0eyD, on Flickr

8314057827_8b7eb62f12_c.jpg

8314049765_7705e904ab_c.jpg

8315095032_7be40bd493_c.jpg

Front's a bit naff, but I'd be fairly happy with that. Probably about £300 worth of parts I need to get it sitting like that though, FML.
Fitted a new throttle cable too, and that's absolutely brilliant - feels amazing in comparison to the old one - literally no play in the pedal and it's a proper weight again.
Lastly, I got a small powder fire extinguisher for Christmas, purely because I do not trust my wiring one bit. So that'll get fitted sometime soon too. Better to have that with me than going up in flames I guess..

Massive spacers and shorter, stiffer springs. Not tried with the coilovers yet - I need to have another day on it with Seb just fixing little bits and bobs. New brake lines are going to be needed too, desperately!

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Sorry if I've missed it, but why can't you get low? Are the coilovers stuck or is it something else stopping the lows?

Coilovers are seized currently. But I think even when we get them loose and all the way down to the bottom, it's still going to be very high. So I'll be ordering some shorter Faulkner springs when I know how big they need to be. I'm just enjoying the way it drives at the moment though, it's brilliant fun!