ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MX5 Number 2.

Basically, about a month ago after attending a CS meet in Bury and getting to drive Sebs insane MX5, I decided there and then that I wanted another one, so the 306 went right up for sale. This weekend that was sold and I had already told Toby that I wanted his MX5. After a bit of a panic that I might well lose my job (which I didn't in the end) I came up with the funds to take a trip down to Nottingham and pick it up.
This one's red, but other than that it's exactly the same as my old white one that got pinched. It's got a gay boot spoiler and some mud flaps that will both be coming off at some point and I'm not going to lie, it's going to need a lot of work! I think Toby would agree, the exterior leaves a lot to be desired... The engine, however, what a peach! So eager to rev! There's barely any torque, and the gear ratio's are a little strange coming from my GTi-6, but it's absolutely brilliant. It's a car you can drive at 9/10 and still be well within the speed limit, which is ultimately way more fun than a faster car. This won't be getting forced induction; no turbo, no supercharger because it just doesn't need them. At the most, I'll be adding a cheap throttle body set up and leaving it at that. It's not a quick car, and it's staying that way tbh.
The interior was also another surprise. A quick hoover revealed that the seats are in amazing condition, being 20 years old. There's literally NO wear on the bolsters at all! The hard top is very handy; it's been really p*ssing it down today, and I've only felt the smallest amount of fine spray which probably came through the windows. Just a shame that it's missing a clip really, as you can't replace them easily.
Externally, like I said, it's in pretty tatty condition - the front drivers arch now has a hole in it (couldn't resist having a poke) so that'll be replaced with a new (possibly used) one. The wingmirrors are both knackered - the drivers one is falling off, and the passenger one has no glass in it, so I'll be ordering a brand new pair (£90 sprayed from MX5parts). The rest of the arches are all bubbling in various amounts, but the sills seem okay which is a plus. I'm still deciding where to go with it - whether to sort out all the rusty arches and have it looking mint, or just slam it, weld the diff and have it as a drift missile. We'll see... I suppose it depends on funds in the coming months.
I've already had one sideways moment. Completely unintentional and I did s**t myself a little. Small, wet roundabout, 20mph the back end just let go completely! Managed to save it, (Dab of oppo :cool:) but I don't think my girlfriend was too impressed LOL. :eek:

Anyway here are some honest photo's. There's been a lot of cars posted up that look amazing in photo's, but up close, in real life they look a bit s**t. I've been guilty of it myself, I'm sure Gaz would agree. (sorry mate!)

7349813062_6f3a079299_z.jpg

DSC_1471 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7164602129_d6c2a45cca_z.jpg

DSC_1466 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7349812170_66ae4b60cb_z.jpg

DSC_1473 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7349818658_3c71ce8868_z.jpg

DSC_1455 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7349818086_cb37b0e5d8_z.jpg

DSC_1456 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7164605493_c9d3ce55e6_z.jpg

DSC_1458 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7349817474_305dcdf02f_z.jpg

DSC_1457 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7349816438_0e5847c92b_z.jpg

DSC_1459 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7349815872_51061b8d82_z.jpg

DSC_1460 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7164603965_073ced0933_z.jpg

DSC_1462 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7349814862_de5fc179e2_z.jpg

DSC_1463 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7349814246_bb59d92114_z.jpg

DSC_1464 by j0eyD, on Flickr

Oh, also going to fit a boot release in the centre console. After having owned it for about 10 minutes, I panicked and thought I'd left some money at Tobys house - so was searching in the boot and running around like mad searching for it; I left the keys in the boot and, forgetting there's no way of getting in without the keys, shut it like a bell end. After an hour waiting around for the RAC to show up, he took a crowbar to a panel inside the car protecting the fuel filler tube to gain access to the boot and hook my keys... FFS! Shan't be doing that again in a hurry!
I think that just about covers everything... I just want to say to anyone considering one of these, but fearing they're too slow or they'll look gay in them, Please just go and try one out!! They're mental fun, even in standard trim like this one. Soft, wallowy suspension and an underpowered engine makes everything so much fun!
I absolutely love this. It will be staying for a long time!

Feel free to criticise etc. I'm dead happy with it, and that's what matters to me!
Thanks for looking :)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
YAY! A car with more rust than mine :D

Seriously though, it shouldn't take too much to sort out, hopefully anyway. Can't believe that you drove Seb's MX5 at the last of the Bury meets and had sold the GTi-6 and bought another MX5 by last nights. Mental.

Will keep an eye on this one, and just give me a shout if you need a hand with anything :)

f**king lol, cheeky b*****d!

Do her proud dude, sort the rust and get her looking baller. I've been seeing epic MX5 kind of fitment stuff kicking about. Once I get on the mac I'll throw you some links.

Aye, I shall do Rhys :) Let me know if you want to have a sesh prepping your arches or anything... Rust friends FTL! LOL

It's a couple of wing mirrors and a wing away from being half decent! Just depends how much I actually want to spend on making it look nice, rather than slamming it y0.

I meant the Scottish Gaz who bought my 306!! :eek: You documented your S14 very honestly. lol
And I was apologizing because the pictures in my for sale thread were a bit misleading.
All I've been doing for the past three weeks is scowering ClubRoadster and drooling FFS! Got a few ideas at the moment... we'll see. Any ideas are much appreciated though!

Last edited:
Ah, I do enough buying cars described by dishonest c***s or previously owned by morons that it seemed fit to be me!

LOL!
I didn't mention that there was some lacquer peel on the doors, so he was rightly a bit miffed about it. Although they also spotted some things that I genuinely hadn't noticed, so we decided on a price accordingly.
Pretty much all the cars I've bought (other than the red 106 which was totally mint) have been worse in real life than the photos, I've just come to expect it now - especially when you're dealing with sub 1k cars.

100% call in sick. I've got the Friday off work prior to it for it's final once over.

Flol. Does 'final once over' mean filling it back up with oil? ;)

BG 182
love how honest this is! id be inclined to sort body work first, then do mods. the only place ive seen modded mx-5's is on here and they look awesome with some lowz and wheels. so look forward to seeing this progress

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
It looks a state? Fair play if it's what you wanted but i dont get buying one like that when you can get a fairly tidy one for peanuts? Maybe it's just me.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it though. :)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
You weren't kidding about the work involved!

Will be a cracking project though mate, I'll have a nosey when I'm back from LM.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Quality. Every time I see one I want one more!

Keep it rusty. Weld the diff. Buy banded steelies. Get low.

Never clean it. Ever.

Octavia VRS LE
Agree with Toby. Nice base for a project, will look forward to updates, got a soft spot for these.

Edition 30
Just enjoy it Joe, I'm guessing you already know what you want from it.

I want it back!

Well, I got it cheap and its the exact spec I wanted other than the colour. The body work really isn't going to be an issue; I've a family member who'll be able to sort out the rear arches and paint work and the rest I can do myself.
The engine is mint, as you can see from the picture - lots of new parts and its ridiculously quiet on idle.
There's a bit of a rattle when letting off the accelerator, but that could be anything; heat shield, clutch related, who knows. But I'm absolutely in love with the thing!
I'm just hoping a pair of wingmirrors will see it through an MOT. Perhaps the hole in the front arch might be an issue, but its not structural!
I can understand why people might think I've lost the plot a bit, but I've been dying for a full on project for at least two years now. And if this isn't a good base for one, I don't know what is!
It's going to be a long one, but the best ones always are ;)

Arctic Blue FF 182
Could be a great project! Been doing some work on one recently. Euros with supercharger conversion, coilovers and few other bits and pieces, now the owner has offered me the chance to buy it! So tempted as it's in great condition, no rust, I'v just refurbed the brakes all round. Decisions

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
BTW I wasn't knocking it, I like it, just needs to start being worked on.

One way or the other will get it looking good (tidier body or badman lowz etc), just not as it is ;)

That's the steering wheel that was on it! Pull the centre cover off and voila ;)

It's alright Rob, I know it's scruffy! I just need to get a years ticket on it, and then I can start spending money on improving stuff.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Well, I got it cheap and its the exact spec I wanted other than the colour. The body work really isn't going to be an issue; I've a family member who'll be able to sort out the rear arches and paint work and the rest I can do myself.
The engine is mint, as you can see from the picture - lots of new parts and its ridiculously quiet on idle.
There's a bit of a rattle when letting off the accelerator, but that could be anything; heat shield, clutch related, who knows. But I'm absolutely in love with the thing!
I'm just hoping a pair of wingmirrors will see it through an MOT. Perhaps the hole in the front arch might be an issue, but its not structural!
I can understand why people might think I've lost the plot a bit, but I've been dying for a full on project for at least two years now. And if this isn't a good base for one, I don't know what is!
It's going to be a long one, but the best ones always are ;)

Surely it needs the rear arches cutting out, new front arches, sills...and god knows what else you find?

Oh I forgot to say last night. If you want to borrow that Bilt Hamber hydrate 80 for your car, you can do, Me and Rhys have both used it on our cars and seems to work well. Although Rhy's looks like a shed ATM.

Give us a shout and I can bring it out anytime.

Surely it needs the rear arches cutting out, new front arches, sills...and god knows what else you find?

Yeah, quite possibly!

I'll see if there's anywhere that would be treatable with just that Jon. Pretty sure most of it is beyond just bubbling now though tbh! I'll have a look :)

Might be worth a try then! I think the rear arches have become a weird shape (although I'm hoping that's just the paint.) We'll see anyway, that's not quit the highest priority at the moment.

I've just ordered a pair of brand new wing mirrors, ready sprayed in black, a brake seal kit for the rear calliper thats sticking, and I'm about to order a new key from somewhere as mine looks like it's about to snap!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Nice, only a small amount of rust at the bottom (which could be treated and filler applied) and it looks like a little bubbling on the lip towards the top right.