ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new MX5 (Shed Content)

Well, the GTI went on Monday and I've been hankering after a MK1 MX5 for a long time now. I spotted this particular example on PistonHeads going quite cheap, so yesterday I made a 400mile round trip to go and pick it up.
It's a 1990 UK model fitted with a set of budget coilovers which are rock hard!
So far, I've learned it needs fresh paint, a new clutch and the roof could do with some attention. But it's absolutely brilliant to drive - love it.
I kind of like that it's not mint - don't have to worry about leaving it in car parks waiting to get scratched.
Looonnnggg project ahead!

6014426789_7062f01cc0_z.jpg

DSC_0809 copy by j0eyD, on Flickr

6014976968_3ed82cf565_z.jpg

DSC_0814 copy by j0eyD, on Flickr

6014430551_9b59614c46_z.jpg

DSC_0816 copy by j0eyD, on Flickr

6014980520_ea02b947f3_z.jpg

DSC_0820 copy by j0eyD, on Flickr

6014982170_4b22392edc_z.jpg

DSC_0823 copy by j0eyD, on Flickr

6014983932_07c9c5508c_z.jpg

DSC_0825 copy by j0eyD, on Flickr

6014985794_371855484e_z.jpg

DSC_0826 copy by j0eyD, on Flickr

6014973660_cf510127e5_z.jpg

DSC_0819 copy by j0eyD, on Flickr

C&Cwelcome.

Oh and the numberplate isn't off by choice - the bracket had broken off apparently.

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Yeah i'd go for white if I wanted one aswell!
This is going to make an awesome car.

What's on the mod list? ;)

p.s. are they your tyre marks on the ground? LOL

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Awesome mate, glad to see you've got one at last! I really quite fancy one.

Nice bit of overspray on the sideskirt? Should be a good project.

Well, I've ordered a Clutch this morning - so I'll get that done firstly as it slips in 3rd and 4th. Then sort the front end out as the paint's flaking off... and the brilliantly painted sill! haha.
Eventually I'll sling it on a set of wide 13 or 14's and buy an LSD... I'd love to turbo it, but I'm not sure it would be worth the cost tbh!

VX220
mine has been off the road for nearly two weeks while i have had a custom decat made which arrived yesterday! now i just need to get it fitted and some fresh photos up. also loving the white, great base for a project!

Looking forward to the updates :) these look so fun.

They are awesome fun!

Awesome. My Dad's is a white one. Best colour.

Agreed, love white.
Awesome, what are the plans then?

Fix it up a little, lower it some more and find some nice wheels!
LSD and some practice drifting will follow when money allows Haha

looks to be an awesome project, i've also been looking at these, how much did you pay if i can ask?

£950. Which I thought was alright considering it had coilovers and is pretty much sound mechanically.

Yes! About time you did this, good fun arent they?

Awesome fun! So glad I bought one, this has to be my favourite car so far by a long way

Handles better than the gti?
Different cars entirely I know...

In the dry it's ridiculously grippy at the front end. In the wet it understeers quite alarmingly - probably down to the garbage tyres...
My GTI felt more chuckable - but I suspect that's down to the rock hard coilovers more than anything

mine has been off the road for nearly two weeks while i have had a custom decat made which arrived yesterday! now i just need to get it fitted and some fresh photos up. also loving the white, great base for a project!
Oft, will keep my eye out for that
Aye, dead pleased with white!

Listerine & Poledo
1.6 is a brilliant little engine!

Just find a rolled Eunos (harder than finding a rolled RS Clio!) and asset strip that for the bits you need.

Wouldn't worry about going silly with 'lowz', if you actually want to drive it.

Very nice machine though. When you get the roof replaced thoguh, go Mohair. A lot harder wearing and looks far better too!

So when we having a CS JDM owners meet, surely enough of us now to have a decent number of cars! Lol

CS Jap meet ftw!

UKspec JDM FTW! In for that.

Welcome to the club! lol

:D

1.6 is a brilliant little engine!

Just find a rolled Eunos (harder than finding a rolled RS Clio!) and asset strip that for the bits you need.

Wouldn't worry about going silly with 'lowz', if you actually want to drive it.

Very nice machine though. When you get the roof replaced thoguh, go Mohair. A lot harder wearing and looks far better too!

It is a great engine! Feels much more eager than my GTi did, although ultimately not as fast. It just sat at 100jellybeans for about an hour and a half last night driving home - didn't break a sweat. Only thing I'm wary about is that it's the got the old style crank which are prone to knackering... but I guess if it's not gone by now it'll never go!
I don't know where to go with it... I quite like the nose-down stance it's got now tbh, but when I get other wheels I'll probably have to adjust the height a little.

Adz

Work van
love it :D looks like it will be an awesome project, a set of SSR MK2/3's on mx5 is just pure p**n lol

5784587077_d9b6b97115_o.jpg

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Ah, no way! He said someone had arranged to view it and didn't turn up - I thought I'd proper missed out. lol

I never arranged but I emailed him about it, he gave me the info but added he had someone seeing it haha!

Offft, a uk 90. It'll be as floppy as a dead fish. Get some braces on it and turbo it you big girl.

Welcome to the cool club.

looks nice base to start with mate
I'm certainly hoping so; it's only the exterior that really needs sorting, which is ideal
love it :D looks like it will be an awesome project, a set of SSR MK2/3's on mx5 is just pure p**n lol

Cheers Adz! :D Yeah that's lovely - fancy 13 or 14's though, like:

6007420818_cb665fabdc_z.jpg

4235167607_384485a14b.jpg

<3
You lucky b*****d.

I will have one of these next!
Do it! You will not regret it - awesome cars.
I never arranged but I emailed him about it, he gave me the info but added he had someone seeing it haha! [/FONT][/FONT]
Ohh! He said he was going to take it back off sale after this week and keep it, so I was lucky tbh!
Offft, a uk 90. It'll be as floppy as a dead fish. Get some braces on it and turbo it you big girl.

Welcome to the cool club.
Heh Heh! All in good time. I need to read into turbo-ing alot more first, get a rough list of what's needed, what needs to be upgraded etc..
And yeah, I can feel/hear it all flexing when I go up my driveway :eek:

Made some progress today, Sorted out the horrible horrible overspray on the drivers side sill.
Just used a mixture of hammerite satin, hammerite smooth and lacquer... it's not perfect, but so much better than before!

Before:
6014980520_ea02b947f3_z.jpg

DSC_0820 copy by j0eyD, on Flickr

After:
6018187629_24ef6b8e77_z.jpg

DSC_0831 by j0eyD, on Flickr

Also tried removing more of the masking tape that's stuck all around the car. Unfortunately a load of paint peeled off the front wing, so I just did a quick fix for now; going to ring round and get a price on a front end respray, as that's the worst - the rest of the car can wait tbh.

Edition 30
Looks really nice mate.

What's the insurance like mate, I've been getting quotes over £1500 quid on the 1.8's.

nice job tidying that sill up.
Clio sport JDM meet would be awesome :)

I would like a mk1 1.6 mx-5 for track, stick some rota grids on it, a roll cage, zaust, and coilies :)
I'd get a hardtop, and not have worry about any holes in the softtop, and when your using it just take the hardtop off.