ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 5 or Samaung Galaxy S3?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
What sort of customisation is offered? I've never used an Android device properly.

literally anything you want to do, you can do. I don't need to do half of the changes I make to my android devices, it's just fun. I leave modding new mainstream devices alone though personally, and stick with downloadable apps. You're still not heavily restricted by that though.

2014 Focus Titanium
Wait a week or so and there will be new Android devices that aren't crippled by design.

You'd have to be mental to buy an S3 right now.

I wouldn't say mental, I mean if a flagship phone comes out tomorrow it doesn't exactly make the S3 crap. Right now the S3 is (arguably) the best phone on the market, the only thing anyone could say it's missing is 4G and for those who don't care (like me) it makes no difference.

I've just put the stock JB firmware on mine a week ago and it's a fantastic upgrade. Google Now is awesome.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I wouldn't say mental, I mean if a flagship phone comes out tomorrow it doesn't exactly make the S3 crap. Right now the S3 is (arguably) the best phone on the market, the only thing anyone could say it's missing is 4G and for those who don't care (like me) it makes no difference.

I've just put the stock JB firmware on mine a week ago and it's a fantastic upgrade. Google Now is awesome.

I'd agree with you if it ran stock Google firmware, but it doesn't. I'd never buy an android phone that didn't run a stock firmware, and ie. Nexus device.

Shame., and because I'd have replaced my 4s with an s3 months ago if it was a nexus device.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Samsung will be bringing out a S3 with 4G when 4G Is actually available

Its already out.

Agree with sn00p for the most part. I'd want something better built (and a few other things) before i made the switch, but a stock device is the way to go.

Last edited:
  2014 Focus Titanium
I'd agree with you if it ran stock Google firmware, but it doesn't. I'd never buy an android phone that didn't run a stock firmware, and ie. Nexus device.

Shame., and because I'd have replaced my 4s with an s3 months ago if it was a nexus device.

I know what you mean. I'd like to see what stock Android would look like on this, but to be fair I don't mind Touchwiz. It has some handy little features, but also lacks some features of Sense 4.0. A mixture of both would be great.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I know what you mean. I'd like to see what stock Android would look like on this, but to be fair I don't mind Touchwiz. It has some handy little features, but also lacks some features of Sense 4.0. A mixture of both would be great.

For me it's not even a case of what crap they may or may not have added, it's about having access to the latest release of Android.

To be in a situation where you buy a brand new phone but have no idea whether it does or will ever run the current latest revision of the OS is unacceptable - at least for a top of the range phone.

I don't care for whatever third party ROM may or may not be available, I want stock!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Thats up to you (and you may not even be aware there is an improvement - Project butter being an example) and yes it is.

Mito Sportiva 135
That's my one gripe with Android vs iPhones is inconsistent roll-out of firmware. I still don't even have ICS yet on my GS2.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
That's my one gripe with Android vs iPhones is inconsistent roll-out of firmware. I still don't even have ICS yet on my GS2.

Your gripe isn't with Android, it's with your hardware manufacturer.

Remember that once that phone is sold, there's zero further revenue to be made from it. Back porting newer versions of Android would basically come out of their profit margin for previous phones (i.e their pocket), there would be no new revenue to be made - so it's basically a no brainer to not do back ports.

Only ever buy phones and devices that run stock Android.

Your gripe isn't with Android, it's with your hardware manufacturer.

Remember that once that phone is sold, there's zero further revenue to be made from it. Back porting newer versions of Android would basically come out of their profit margin for previous phones (i.e their pocket), there would be no new revenue to be made - so it's basically a no brainer to not do back ports.

Only ever buy phones and devices that run stock Android.

Actually that's wrong.

The Manufacturer locked phones actually get releases quicker, while the Official (aka Samsung in this case) are out much later.

For example, all of the carrier-specific ROMs for JB have been out a few weeks/months now, and the Samsung-own one has literally got released about 2 hours ago!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Actually that's wrong.

The Manufacturer locked phones actually get releases quicker, while the Official (aka Samsung in this case) are out much later.

For example, all of the carrier-specific ROMs for JB have been out a few weeks/months now, and the Samsung-own one has literally got released about 2 hours ago!

What a pointless post. He just getting a phone which runs a stock android rom is better. What you've said was just rewording his post in a retarded manner.

work for BMW
I'm an iPhone lover bought the 5 but wanted to see the fuss with galaxy so bought a galaxy too, after using the galaxy a week i could see some of the attraction but it was clearly nowhere near iPhone level in terms of just general fluency , smoothness , scrolling , simplicity , iPhone feels more durable , longer battery. Samsung kept freezing.

i think that the galaxy's are getting better and better but they are still not quite there to top iPhones

Mito Sportiva 135
My sister just got an iP5 and can't see anything on it which is a step up from iP4s - or even iP4 for that matter - except being slightly quicker.

Hopefully by the time I get an upgrade next year there will be the iP6 or GS4 - or even the new gen of W8 phones - to make the decision a bit more interesting than it is today.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Just cancelled my iPhone 5 order for an S3. I have a 4s at the moment which is great but i just have the itch to try something else because the iPhone 5 doesn't make me want to change.

If i can't get on with the S3 then i will send it back and get the 5.
Going to be hard work which is the main reason for being so hesitant about it.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
No she had the s2. I've had a go and it's great especially watching videos, quality is tv standard. I'm sure you won't be disappointed

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'm getting bored off the iPhone to, been itching to give the HTC one X+ a try, they loved it on the gadget show.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
I'm getting bored off the iPhone to, been itching to give the HTC one X+ a try, they loved it on the gadget show.

I thought i may aswell give it ago. Worst case scenario, i have to wait another 2 weeks for the 5 to be delivered but i can live with that.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Just sold my S3 and using an Iphone 4s whilst i wait to get my hands on the Nexus 4.

The only good things about the Iphone are its build quality and the screen. Everything else is awful compared to the S3.

Can't wait to get back to android.

Focus
I hate apple as a company, no idea why just think the whole faff surrounding new models every year a tad sad.

However even ill admit, IMO, the 5 is far better than the s3 (having owned both iPhones and the galaxy's). Everything just seems to work, my old galaxy s2 constantly froze, and felt like a half finished product, software and build quality.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
First iphone ive owned and the 5 is superb for me. Simple and it just works, its highly unlikely id go back to anything else tbh.

2014 Focus Titanium
I hate apple as a company, no idea why just think the whole faff surrounding new models every year a tad sad.

However even ill admit, IMO, the 5 is far better than the s3 (having owned both iPhones and the galaxy's). Everything just seems to work, my old galaxy s2 constantly froze, and felt like a half finished product, software and build quality.

I think the hype they surround around each product is actually the best thing that Apple do, it's what they're experts at.

Also, you're saying that the iPhone is better than the S3 because you had a completely different phone that froze all the time. Doesn't really make sense.

My mum and two sisters (and about 58 mates) all have iPhone 5s and the are two things that I love about them. The build quality really still is by far the best, and they fit in my hand easy. Then again I hate the small screen, and you can't have a big screen in a small phone so ultimately I prefer the big screen compared to easier handling. Couple of things that anger me are the lack of back button (I nearly threw my mum's phone at the wall the other day due to this), and the unaltered-for-5-years UI - it really does need a refresh.

Horses for courses, both excellent phones.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
While apple have been adding exciting new features to iOS (Passbook, Maps, umm, erm, umm, other stuff) google have breezed past them with Android - I thought I'd never say that and I thought Apple would remain at the top of their game and that I could only see myself owning iPhones in the long term future....

I now have a Nexus 4 and it's brilliant.

I wouldn't get an S3 purely for the fact that it's not a Nexus device and therefore there are ramifications for major operating system updates and I want to be running a pure android device and not something that the manufacturer has been pissing about with.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Lots of love in here. I'm counting down the days to the end of my contract on my Galaxy then I'll grab myself a Nexus 4.

Should we now have an 'Android Chat' sub-forum? Or would that be really really really really really really sad?