ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recommissioning 2003 172, would like some advice

bren172

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Not sure this is the right section, (feel free to move if needed admin)

I'm recommisioning my 172 after being off the road for a few years again. I still start it regularly etc but it's time for new tyres so I might for the first ever time change to 15" wheel and tyre setup. I also want to do the standard belts, pulleys, water pump. The current dephaser has been on for about 6 or 7 years, not making any noise but should I change it anyway and buy the whole kit? It's done about 300 miles in 6 years.

I also want to do the engine mounts as they are tired and cracked badly. Where is the best place to purchase these?

The reason it's been off the road is I employed a mechanic to fix a brake mc issue. He had the car 45 days and when he gave me it back the bonnet was a state as he had clearly shut it on his tools then bashed the hell out of it. Killed my enthusiasm for the resto. Has anyone got a good silver bonnet for sale or is there a poly upgrade nowadays?

I would appreciate as much help as possible on this as I've had the car a long time and i want to start using it again.

Thanks

Hopefully I'll get some replies?

Bren

Depending on when the belt was done, how the cars been stored and whether you're paying for the work to be done or doing it yourself, I'd just do the belt, it's time expired, not mileage. Certainly I'd leave the dephasor (plenty will disagree). Tensioner and idler rollers I'd inspect for rust but otherwise leave. That said, nothing to stop you just changing the whole lot if you're keeping the car long term and don't want to revisit it for a good long time.

What do you want to do with the car? Use will influence the wheel and tyre choice.

I've had aftermarket engine mounts on a couple of cars from reputable manufacturers which have been fine. The yelllow powerflex infill on the drivers side mount is also a nice addition for a road car.

Bonnets are becoming scarce, especially in the correct colour but there are always cars being broken. Whereabouts are you based?

bren172

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Depending on when the belt was done, how the cars been stored and whether you're paying for the work to be done or doing it yourself, I'd just do the belt, it's time expired, not mileage. Certainly I'd leave the dephasor (plenty will disagree). Tensioner and idler rollers I'd inspect for rust but otherwise leave. That said, nothing to stop you just changing the whole lot if you're keeping the car long term and don't want to revisit it for a good long time.

What do you want to do with the car? Use will influence the wheel and tyre choice.

I've had aftermarket engine mounts on a couple of cars from reputable manufacturers which have been fine. The yelllow powerflex infill on the drivers side mount is also a nice addition for a road car.

Bonnets are becoming scarce, especially in the correct colour but there are always cars being broken. Whereabouts are you based?
Its too good to turn into a track day car to be honest so it'll be something in-between as it always has been.
All belts etc were done when the dephaser was done.
I saw on Mr Underhill's restoration he used yellow "strongflex" bushing and said he thought they were fantastic on his build.

I'm based in South Lincolnshire, Bosto

Thanks
Bren