ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 5 or Samaung Galaxy S3?

2014 Focus Titanium
Snoop - totally agree. When I first purchased my 3GS I was a full on Apple convert, looking at purchasing a Macbook and iMac when I could afford.

I know what you mean about wanting the proper Android experience. I bought my S3 about a month before the N4 was unveiled and I considered chopping it in (which I could easily do as my S3 is probably worth about £300 to sell) to get the N4, BUT the S3 (for the time being) is being continually updated fairly quickly. In the middle of October I got 4.1.1 Jellybean and 4 days ago I got 4.1.2 which added features such as multi-view, new gallery, more camera features, customisable notification panel etc. So we're not that far behind the N4, just wish we could have a pure Android ROM rather than Samsung's.

More chance of the world ending this month.

True!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I still wouldn't consider anything other than Macs for my "proper computing needs", I love unix and I happen to think that Apple still make awesome computers. (I ran my old powerbook into the ground, it was still my main home computer up until 2 years ago when it got replaced by a MBP).

They've been caught napping/revelling in their own hype with regards to phones/tablets though.

Clio 172 cup
Lots of love in here. I'm counting down the days to the end of my contract on my Galaxy then I'll grab myself a Nexus 4.

Should we now have an 'Android Chat' sub-forum? Or would that be really really really really really really sad?

Sadly most Admin are apple fanboys, but even they are getting itchy fingers

Galaxy S4 with wireless charging looks epic

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

I now have a Nexus 4 and it's brilliant.

I wouldn't get an S3 purely for the fact that it's not a Nexus device and therefore there are ramifications for major operating system updates and I want to be running a pure android device and not something that the manufacturer has been pissing about with.

Bingo.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I can understand getting bored because they do a lot so well but i've been using an S3 a lot more recently through work and I much prefer my 5 still. It has more finesse. The Samsung still feels very mass market and still built like Samsungs of old. Just a personal observation.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I can understand getting bored because they do a lot so well but i've been using an S3 a lot more recently through work and I much prefer my 5 still. It has more finesse. The Samsung still feels very mass market and still built like Samsungs of old. Just a personal observation.

Nexus 4 is a whole different kettle of fish.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

It is. Agreed.

However, (there's always a however) its Eco system does not fit my needs. This could of course change, but not for a while and for me it represents a problem far greater than the lack of progress that iOS has made from 5 to 6.

2014 Focus Titanium

Are you saying the Nexus is genuinely much better built than the S3? I haven't had chance to hold one yet.

It is. Agreed.

However, (there's always a however) its Eco system does not fit my needs. This could of course change, but not for a while and for me it represents a problem far greater than the lack of progress that iOS has made from 5 to 6.

Totally agree. Had I gone toward the whole Mac > iPad > iPhone back when I had an iphone I wouldn't have probably changed so easily, but due to me being a geek and enjoying building PCs etc and using Google for everything, changing from iOS wasn't really much of a fuss at all.

Last edited:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
It is. Agreed.

Yeah, there isn't as much high quality software for Android as there is on iOS, but there is just as much junk on both platforms - it's actually a problem that both have when trying to find new software - you pretty much find stuff that's trending or because you're specifically searching for an app by name.

However, I really didn't have that much installed on any of my iPhones. I don't play computer games and generally I use my phone as a tool for getting through my day, calendars, alarms, web surfing, tube/rail times etc, weather - and in those fields android wipes the floor with iOS. I love the fact that I have my train times for getting home on my homescreen, I can see if my train is late and I can see my connections inside London. I don't have to start another app, it's just there, straight in my face.

Who knows, in 2 years time (iPhone 6) they might be back on the ball and iOS8 might be driven by user feedback and not Apple egos.

I still can't believe that Apple stood their in a keynote and trash talked their competition. Competition is good, trash talking about them is not so good.

Btw, on my "potential for pure evil" scale, google still ranks much much much higher than Apple.

Edit:

The wife still has a iPhone 4 and iPad, but even she refuses to update to iOS6! I told her the other day I'd done it for her and she was not happy.

Last edited:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Are you saying the Nexus is genuinely much better built than the S3? I haven't had chance to hold one yet.

It feels as quality to hold as my iPhone 4/4S ever did. (I would say any iPhone, but my 3G was a bit plasticky/shoddy by todays high standards)

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
It's hard work going from an iPhone to another phone. for some reason, my outlook emails haven't synced with it like it did with the iPhone and i lost a lot of other bits from my iPhone which is abit annoying.

The Samsung S3 is a very good phone and i'm starting to get used to it but my biggest issue is that my case still hasnt turned up yet so it's not getting much use.
I much prefer the way it's shaped and how quick it opens everything.
I miss how easy the iPhone was but it will take a while to get used to.

Anybody want to buy a 4S 16GB in white? (mint)