ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 5 or Samaung Galaxy S3?

Renaultsport Clio 182
Which one is best? What are the advantages / disadvantages of one over the other?

ive been rocking a iPhone 3GS for the past 3 years so time for a big upgrade!

E39 530i
Was thinking this the other day? My head is saying Samsung 3, but the brainwashing media is saying iPhone.

Renaultsport Clio 182
Yeah I know what you mean. My mate has the S3 and reckons its awesome. The only negative he poi ted out was that it wasn't compatible with the inevitable 4G?

Best? Surely that will depend on what you personally want from a phone. Asking on here will only get a load of people bickering because they think their phone is better than the other.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I really like the S3 however have an iPhone 5. I've only had a play for a few days with an S3 and from what I could tell it was an awesome little phone.

why do I have an iPhone then? I'm to into the Apple Eco-system (iMac, MacBook, iPad, Apple TV etc) to go for anything but an iPhone.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
There bringing out a S3 which has 4G in the next month or 2

im in the same boat 5 or HTC One XL 4G compatible, mines due this December

Mercedes
I am a massive apple fan I got my 4s and the mrs got her Samsung at the same time, that now feels crap and freezes all the time. That's the issue I have with Samsung phones the backup and perceived quality are rubbish. I vote 5

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
For your average Joe Bloggs users, they're probably much of a muchness to use. Build quality however, the iPhone has that hands down.

Whenever I have looked in to buying an Android phone the same things always pop up: How long are software updates gonna come through for, is the OS really as polished as iOS, will it feel like a bag of w**k in 12 months once the internal memory is full up and why do they have to be made from such cheap materials. I've yet to find one that can give me a positive answer to all of those which is why I went for a 5. I couldn't deal with the cheap feeling nature of an S3, Samsung really need to invest in that area the most.

Renaultsport Clio 182
My only experience of a Samsung phone was years ago (thin phone with slide up screen). It looked good but to this day has been the only phone I've had to send off to get repaired cos it was basically built using tissue paper! I've had my 3GS for 3 yrs now and it still has the original screen & back case so I know Apple stuff can stand the test of time. Maybe I should just stick with what I know and get the iPhone 5

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
My only experience of a Samsung phone was years ago (thin phone with slide up screen). It looked good but to this day has been the only phone I've had to send off to get repaired cos it was basically built using tissue paper! I've had my 3GS for 3 yrs now and it still has the original screen & back case so I know Apple stuff can stand the test of time. Maybe I should just stick with what I know and get the iPhone 5

I think you've answered your own question TBH.

182 Trophy
Why ask on here? Cliosport is a forum full of sheep who will dry hump apple till the cows come home, go try them both without any of this build quality bs in your ear and see which you prefer. The gf had a 4s and upgraded to an s3 and thought the s3 was in a different league, I have an iPod an iPad and was just about to buy an iPhone 5 u till I spent anour using her s3, it's fantastic. So I bought one.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Yeah its great, i love the skin they put on android, touchwiz isnt it?. Svoice, Sthis Sthat. Its so ground breaking, s**ts on the iPhone.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Great Review.

Anyway to answer the OP.

It all depends on how you use your phone, do you like your 3GS? if you are happy with the way it works then the 5 is ideal, its software is basically the same, so everything will work as it did but faster and clearer than it did before. You get a few new bits and bobs but nothing overly complex.

All your apps and content will also just transfer to the new phone with minimal fuss.

If you are fed up with the 3GS then get the S3, sure its not as well built or supported but its different and a good handset. Its also substantially larger which is either a good or bad thing. Best thing you can do is use them side by side and see which one suits you best.

Last edited:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Another good suggestion. As are the HTC 8x windows phones.

But as with all windows 8 phones, they aren't out yet.

Last edited:
  E39 530i
just checked out the Lumia 920, and wow. I sold my iPhone 4 , 9 months ago and got a samsung gt c3530 just because I was annoyed with all this apple crap.

iPhone has the build quality and the quality apps. I miss Tweetbot especially.
Screen size +/-, depends how you look on it. Tried using my sisters 4S the other day and the screen is tiny to what I am used to now.
Samsung has the battery life (to the 4S, not used a 5 to compare), Android eco system which allows you to do anything with your phone. This is both a pro and a con.
Removable battery and an SD card in the Samsung.
Polish and prettyness is miles ahead on the iPhone.

If you were to decide on an Android - wait for the nexus towards the end of the year. Samsun over here are having a diminishing developer support due to Samsung being faggots with their chip drivers.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Someone in work asked to see my 5 when in got into work yesterday. As soon as I got it out 4 people felt the need to pull out their S3's and start an assassination of my new phone. It seems to me that people with S3's are very quick to go on the offensive lol

S3 is just too big for me. I've got an iPad if I want to watch something on a big screen. I just couldn't walk around with a phone that's almost the size of my first ever mobile phone.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The S3 is not a bad phone, but it still echoes a tocco in some ways to my feel, still a bit behind, again the materials and design i'm not a fan of but hey people want different phones for different reasons.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
The S3 is not a bad phone, but it still echoes a tocco in some ways to my feel, still a bit behind, again the materials and design i'm not a fan of but hey people want different phones for different reasons.

Yeah I totally agree. Horses for courses. I just found that yesterday that those with S3's were very quick to try and defend the fact they had gone for the S3 when I really couldn't give a monkeys what phone they bought lol

I went for an S3 just after i5 announcement (after wanting to know specs etc), and couldn't be more happy.

It's what I wanted, and not being tied to iTunes is a big bonus.

Have a play with both, check reviews of both. Basically it will come down to which OS you prefer - iOS or Android.

2014 Focus Titanium
Some good views in this thread. It's quite nice that many people are giving Android the respect it wasn't getting two or 3 years ago.

I've just bought an S3 after owning a HTC Sensation for a year and a 3GS for two years previous to that. The 3GS was a great phone, by far the best at the time. I then moved onto the Sensation which in my opinion was better than a 4/as good as a 4S, however there were still some reliability issues with the software (which I fixed by flashing a new ROM on but I can't deny they were there beforehand), having said that I had issues with my 3GS back in the day (randomly turning off, got WSOD and had to claim on insurance).

Now I'm just got the S3. Wow, I will say that I've not been this happy with a phone out of the box, period. My mate asked me when I'm going to root it (I'm a fan of tweaking, ended up JBing my 3GS and rooting my sensation) and I've told him that I really don't fancy it! It just works extremely well right now! I had swapped phones for an hour with my brother in law the other day with his brand new ip5 and afterwards he said he was going to ask O2 if he could swap it lol. The ip5 to me feels tiny, the screen is just way to small (smaller than my year old sensation) which is a big thing for me.

As people have said Samsung still aren't building phones as quality as Apple are, they are getting better but still not there. The quality of plastic on my S3 is great but the phone is too light really, too easy to lose grip of. Not a big fan of the power button on the side of the phone either but that's a personal preference.

Fact is you're never going to get an iPhone and think "god this isn't smooth at all" or "this isn't a pleasant user experience" because the UI is so established, and you won't return a good value from a non-Apple phone a year later, it you won't get better build than Apple. BUT, if you are a after a great phone with lots of innovative features then the S3 will never disappoint you, especially with the imminent release of Jelly Bean. I love the things like the bigger screen, auto-panorama images (yes, that did exist before iOS6, and refreshing updates to the OS's which is inherent with Android).

Go for either one and you won't be disappointed.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
You can use a number of program's to transfer music. The rest of what iTunes does can be done on the device or with other software. You aren't tied to it.