ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 5 or Samaung Galaxy S3?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Late with 4G?

If you lived in the USA maybe, but LTE is barely available in europe. So whats the point in having it when its not there?

And thats without going down the whole "well the s3 doesnt have LTE either" road

Panorama mode has been in 3rd party apps for years

Original iPhone had a 2 megapixel camera, the only thing you did get right was the 3G not having video. (although it gained it via third party apps)

And you think the USA doesn't make up a huge percent of the market?

I was always under the impression that it had no camera :/

And my point being apple don't bring these things out. You shouldn't have to get a third party app to get video on a phone. It was old news

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
That's just rubbish imo.

Is it? Rhys claims Apple have always played catch up yet they shaped the whole smartphone market... fact!

Sigh, Tom is there a thread to do with Apple that you don't have to push your Apple fanboy views to?

It seems every single time you have such a narrow-minded opinion and everything you say has to be fact.

Threads like these on CS are boring, always goes the same way rofl. OP if you want unbiased reviews try other forums to be honest.

Any counter argument?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Is it? Rhys claims Apple have always played catch up yet they shaped the whole smartphone market... fact!

iOS shaped the market. The phones themselves (aside from the only well timed release of the 4) have always been lacking and playing catchup. Like I said, this is a hardware debate for me more than anything.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Ok, thats fine. So why is the hardware superior?

And i dont mean a list of numbers i mean, what makes it superior and why. (taking into account the differences in software requirements and geographic relevance, for example when including something like NFC you need to take into account the UK/EU adoption rates to make it worthwhile)

Then i'll respond.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
iOS shaped the market. The phones themselves (aside from the only well timed release of the 4) have always been lacking and playing catchup. Like I said, this is a hardware debate for me more than anything.

Well that's where you're going wrong!

Buying a phone should not be a hardware debate, which is what this thread is about (what phone to buy).

I'm sure you didn't buy the Fiesta because the engine was the best you could get for the price.

Phones are about the whole package (more now than ever before).

Years ago, phones could be horrendously slow, or crash, or have crap charging points or similar, now, everyone has got to a certain level, where things do work and don't take 20 minutes to do so.

With that in mind, you're now essentially looking at the whole package. For me, there's still too many plus sides to the apple handsets to move away.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Catch up? Are you mental! I'm out, you're pretty much claiming the Samsung phones are better made than the iPhones. That's hardware and you're smoking crack.

It's not a fanboi thing, genuinely. The 4 was my first iPhone, the missus had a 3gs, they pissed over the competition. The S3 is the best Samsung have made, how long did it take them to get this close to Apple mate?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Not for me I'm afraid.

And I got the fiesta because I'm a deluded fool :) much like apple fan boys. ;)

Android has taken a long time to get to a level they are at now, which IMHO opinion has surpassed apple in all but the build quality.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Rob you move from android phone to android phone fairly easy. All backed up via your gmail account.

I wish I had got the S3 instead the iphone I ended up with last week. There's a lot I miss about Android tbh. However Apple's customer service is sublime! That's what really makes it hard for me.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
That S3 ad was an attack on Apple was it?

You must have watched something different then because I didn't see that. I saw a light hearted poke at the fanaticism that exists around the build up and hype of a new Apple product. It did not attack Apple. It did not attack the iPhone 5. It highlighted some features of the S3 and made those that queue look a bit silly.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
That S3 ad was an attack on Apple was it?

You must have watched something different then because I didn't see that. I saw a light hearted poke at the fanaticism that exists around the build up and hype of a new Apple product. It did not attack Apple. It did not attack the iPhone 5. It highlighted some features of the S3 and made those that queue look a bit silly.

Yeah.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I'm still waiting on a list of things the iPhone 5 has brought to the table that other older android phones don't already have...

Nothing rhys. Zero. (Actually sorry there is something, the screen/touchscreen technology. But other than that nothing)

You're up.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Was that a tactical way of avoiding Tom's question to? ;-)

Nope. I've already stated my points. It's geeky facts and figures from benchmark tests.

Toms response to the fact it varies upon different versions of android is invalid. Surely the purpose of new version of an OS should be to extract maximum capabilities from a phone rather than to fix things they couldn't get right the first time.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
No you misunderstand, the processing capability shouldnt be changed with the OS. Its like a fixed point.

Geekbench was producing odd results with the S3's running ICS and JB which made no sense, thats all i was saying. Its also not capable of producing benchmarks with the A6 properly all the results ive seen are with the A6 running at 1.0Ghz when we know it can run higher than that when required. (this may have changed recently, im not buying the app to test it)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
No you misunderstand, the processing capability shouldnt be changed with the OS. Its like a fixed point.

Geekbench was producing odd results with the S3 which made no sense, thats all i was saying.

My apologies. And upgrades to how an OS works can always have a positive or negative effect on the processing power of a device, that's fact.

I agree on the touch screen front, the iPhones technology is superior in that respect but the Samsung isn't as far off as you'd expect, it's very responsive and works very well.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
My apologies. And upgrades to how an OS works can always have a positive or negative effect on the processing power of a device, that's fact.

I agree on the touch screen front, the iPhones technology is superior in that respect but the Samsung isn't as far off as you'd expect, it's very responsive and works very well.

Have to disagree there. My sisters s3 opened an app up yesterday and I touched the screen a good inch away from the icon.

iphone please... Ta

Geekbench was producing odd results with the S3's running ICS and JB which made no sense, thats all i was saying. Its also not capable of producing benchmarks with the A6 properly all the results ive seen are with the A6 running at 1.0Ghz when we know it can run higher than that when required. (this may have changed recently, im not buying the app to test it)

Are you saying the benchmark result should be the same regardless of what version of an OS a phone is running?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
All replies are skim read and analysed for grammatical errors before words get twisted.

I've made points for the S3 being superior and I've also admitted the iPhone 5 has superior individual parts like the touch screen. No apple fan boy will admit the S3 is superior in any way.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Are you saying the benchmark result should be the same regardless of what version of an OS a phone is running?

Nope, im saying people were seeing strange results.

There isnt a version of geekbench optimised for armv7s yet, when that does happen it will be interesting.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
All replies are skim read and analysed for grammatical errors before words get twisted.

I've made points for the S3 being superior and I've also admitted the iPhone 5 has superior individual parts like the touch screen. No apple fan boy will admit the S3 is superior in any way.

So what makes the s3 better for me? Honestly.

I'll reply, honestly, to what you say. If there's one thing on there that makes it better for me I'd be surprised TBH. (I don't know what camera it has, so that may be better, but that's about it).

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I gave an iPhone 4. Not really tried any android phones. I have seen the Samsung and it looks good.

I am committed down the apple route purely due to now being quite reliant on it. I have a lot of apps, iTunes music everything linked into my mbp, iPad and iPhone.

Now moving to android would cause significant disruption and for me to write off my apps etc. I don't really care for the whole debate if I am honest. I find it interesting to read but ultimately the choice is yours.

I find myself sticking to apple as I like the way it works and I find it slick. Having so much reliance is an issue but I imagine it would be similar whether android, apple or windows.

E39 530i
You guys are funny its a personal opinion end of. Apple are masters of marketing a product making its seem like every man and his dog need one. But they do make excellent quality and easy to use stuff. Which is why for me they are so sucessful. Give a 2 year old an iphone he'll find his why around it in no time, give a kid a Samsung Galaxy S3 and no doubt he'll be able to use it as well, as kids love smart phones.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
So what makes the s3 better for me? Honestly.

I'll reply, honestly, to what you say. If there's one thing on there that makes it better for me I'd be surprised TBH. (I don't know what camera it has, so that may be better, but that's about it).

No one can say what is better for anyone. It's all just opinion.

Which is why my argument for is based purely on spec alone. Whether you prefer android or iOS is entirely down to you as a person. In fact the current performance results show that the Samsung is the better phone unless you're an avid mobile gamer.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
No one can say what is better for anyone. It's all just opinion.

Which is why my argument for is based purely on spec alone. Whether you prefer android or iOS is entirely down to you as a person. In fact the current performance results show that the Samsung is the better phone unless you're an avid mobile gamer.

Or browse the web.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Eh???

I'm genuinely asking, other than the numbers on the chipset, what do you think makes it better?

If I said, "why should I buy the Samsung?" What would you say other than "The specs say it's better".

Eh???

I'm genuinely asking, other than the numbers on the chipset, what do you think makes it better?

If I said, "why should I buy the Samsung?" What would you say other than "The specs say it's better".

Because it does the same as an iPhone for less money. Only real reason I got my S2 instead of iPhone.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
If there are tests which prove on the uk 3G network that the iPhone is faster then fair enough.

Personally I've used both and thought the S3 was faster.

No, because thats rediculous. I meant browser benchmarks.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Eh???

If you want my opinion rather than facts then its because the screen is bigger, it's not full of glitches as standard which will only be fixed by the time the next phone / full OS is released at which point the vicious circle will start again, the onscreen keyboard I find easier to use, apps that you pay for on the iPhone are free on the android market, you don't have to jail break it to get great features which should have been in the OS so you don't void any warranty, you have the option to expand memory with an SD card so don't have to pay over the odds for increased memory, and I prefer the OS after spending a fair amount of time using it.

Then again some people might not find any of the above a positive.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You can't use 3G speeds or wifi unless done at the exact same time under same conditions.

These "speeds" you speak of Rhys are probably impossible to tell to the standard user also!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Why is it ridiculous?

UMTS is a standard. Theres very little in terms of vairation between speed from one device to another.
Then you have to account for signal strength, antenna performance, geography.

If we were both on the same network in the same place and ran a speed test the difference would be negligable.

Browser performance however is much easier to test.