ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 5 or Samaung Galaxy S3?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
you have the option to expand memory with an SD card so don't have to pay over the odds for increased memory...

This one snippet I can't shake...why can't they engineer a Micro SD slot into a handset?

Because it would deny them huge revenues from individuals who seem to think that £70 for 16gb or £170 for 48gb of memory is a good thing?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Yeah i'm 90% sure thats the reason.

That and the complications of having more than one source of internal memory, be it due to software or hardware.

That and the complications of having more than one source of internal memory, be it due to software or hardware.

It's not complicated at all, it's there to limit the end users as you know Apple like the devices nice and locked down (which I can see the benefits and drawbacks before you ask).

As others have said, it's purely a money maker and a limitation.

The thing that makes it most obvious is that even in an iPad they still haven't added one in, so it's nothing to do with size limitations etc!

ios vs andoird threads are basically dick waving over anything. either could kill puppies by default and either sides fanboys would boast it as a feature.

and then of course benchmark who can kill puppies the fastest.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

You surprise me with that response.

You really genuinely think with all their technical expertise, experience, and knowhow, that to engineer that into one of their handsets a Micro SD slot is too much for them?

Seriously?

The complication of having more than one source of internal memory? computers have multiple sources and we add more temporarily all the time e.g. phones, usb sticks.

with iPhone there are 2 reasons why we dont have SD Cards, it makes the platform more open and more open to hacking, but also iphones are getting thinner, an SD Card slot takes up a fair bit of space.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
You surprise me with that response.

You really genuinely think with all their technical expertise, experience, and knowhow, that to engineer that into one of their handsets a Micro SD slot is too much for them?

Seriously?

I agreed with you.

I think they can do it, but they wont because;

• One source of memory is easier to manage both for the OS and the Consumer (Early android users will know what i mean)
  • Warranty issues because of faulty hardware from third partys
  • Potential security issues
  • The previously mentioned lack of control of the hardware

It would be nice to expand the internal memory, but i can see why they dont allow it. Lots of you fail to remember that iPhones are sold to normal people too. They don't want to mess about with SD cards, they just want things to work.

Space isnt really an issue with a micro SD. even on a tightly packed iPhone 5 it could be done.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
SD cards have been used in handsets for years. If an inferior OS such as android can do it, why can't apple? Simply because they don't want to.

As for "normal people" not being able to use it. My nan has a Nokia with an SD card, she doesn't know what it does nor does she need to, it knows to dump photos etc and music on there due to the lack of internal memory.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I agreed with you.

I think they can do it, but they wont because;

• One source of memory is easier to manage both for the OS and the Consumer (Early android users will know what i mean)
  • Warranty issues because of faulty hardware from third partys
  • Potential security issues
  • The previously mentioned lack of control of the hardware

It would be nice to expand the internal memory, but i can see why they dont allow it. Lots of you fail to remember that iPhones are sold to normal people too. They don't want to mess about with SD cards, they just want things to work.

Space isnt really an issue with a micro SD. even on a tightly packed iPhone 5 it could be done.

Apologies, thought your previous post was sarcasm through and through!

Let's say 90% (?) of rival handsets out there have expandable memory...that doesn't stop the entire populous owning them and coping with having a slot in their phone (be it used or unused) does it?

Last edited:
SD cards have been used in handsets for years. If an inferior OS such as android can do it, why can't apple? Simply because they don't want to.

As for "normal people" not being able to use it. My nan has a Nokia with an SD card, she doesn't know what it does nor does she need to, it knows to dump photos etc and music on there due to the lack of internal memory.

Don't forget cameras, games consoles, tv's, mp3 players, computers (in general) and a tonne of other electronic devices that "normal" people use every day!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
And?

What is your point?

My point is that here's something that should be in an Apple product.

It could be in an Apple product.

But it's not because of the financial revenues it generates for Apple from the apparent blindness of its customers who come up with every reason under the sun why it's been excluded other than the real one as 'Apple would never do that to their customers'!

So, actually, that's not really a point, more of a rant LOL

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Apple fan boys will defend it to the death. Like maps

"It's s**t"
"Yeah but give it time and it will get better"

If its not up to scratch then it shouldn't be released.

"Signal drops when you hold it"
"Don't hold it that way"
"Put a bumper on it, it will work then"

Granted apple gave everyone a bumper that bought it before a certain date but let's he honest, each one probably cost them less than 1p to make.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Which one is best? What are the advantages / disadvantages of one over the other?

ive been rocking a iPhone 3GS for the past 3 years so time for a big upgrade!

Go into a shop, play with both, buy whichever you prefer.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
nyta6ybe.jpg

Doesn't bode we'll for my argument eh.

2014 Focus Titanium
There are so many stupid points from both sides in here it really has become a pointless thread so I'll make my last reply this one, merely to point out people making stupid claims.

Doesn't bode we'll for my argument eh.

LOL Rhys.

It's inferior because its coated cheap plastic, it will peel off, it will separate at the seams, if will go wrong and it will need to be sent off for three weeks for examination before they tell you that you evidently let it rain on the handset whilst using the phone outside so the warranty is void.

You can tell me that the magic numbers inside the phone make the s3 better, but will I really care about that in 7 months when my quality product is still going strong and you're using a 5110 as a temporary phone whilst samsung "look into your problem"? No.

Forgetting the issue with iphones when they had loads of consumers going to watchdog about iPhones apparently suffering from water damage when they had never been near water? Guess what, that happened to me. My 3GS randomly got WSOD for no reason, sent it for for repair and 10 days later it came back with "water damage" and I have to claim on insurance. It had never ever been near any water, i never even used it in the rain. So to conclude, your point is massively invalid. See here: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/iphone-water-damage-indicators-leave-users-seeing-red-49305888/

Late with 4G?

If you lived in the USA maybe, but LTE is barely available in europe. So whats the point in having it when its not there?

LOL. So it's late then, being that USA is the biggest market and they have had 4G across there for ages.

Hi first post, bit of a lurker.

Everyone saying how pathetic the Samsung ad is, seem to be forgetting this little doozy of a ad campaign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5z0Ia5jDt4

I find it hilarious how everyone has ignored this post. Roy Munson must be disgusted with these Apple ads because they are apparently desperate.

It's not a fanboi thing, genuinely.

This is also comical, saying you're not a fan boy is like saying the Pope isn't religious. Some of the stuff you have come out with in the past, at least Tom makes (mostly) valid points and backs it up with knowledge and facts.

I gave an iPhone 4. Not really tried any android phones. I have seen the Samsung and it looks good.

I am committed down the apple route purely due to now being quite reliant on it. I have a lot of apps, iTunes music everything linked into my mbp, iPad and iPhone.

Now moving to android would cause significant disruption and for me to write off my apps etc. I don't really care for the whole debate if I am honest. I find it interesting to read but ultimately the choice is yours.

I find myself sticking to apple as I like the way it works and I find it slick. Having so much reliance is an issue but I imagine it would be similar whether android, apple or windows.

One of the most sensible posts I've seen.

I'm genuinely asking, other than the numbers on the chipset, what do you think makes it better?

If I said, "why should I buy the Samsung?" What would you say other than "The specs say it's better".

For me:

- Bigger screen (how anyone can say this is a negative is beyond me, unless a)the phone is too big to comfortably fit in your pocket but with the ergonomic shape of the S3 i honestly can't even feel it's in my pocket any more than I can an iphone and I've actually tested this because I'm massively sad or b)the phone was so big you couldn't comfortably reach the keys on the keyboard, again even in landscape mode the GS3 is fine)

- NFC (not necessarily used yet but from what I have read two of the large bank corporations are going to be pushing this on phones soon so it's handy to be future proof for the nest 2 years or so, also good for ticketing etc)

- SD Slot (as said before this is useful, my phone comes with 16GB of memory but I can whack SD card to double or quadruple that at any time at a comparably small price. However, I can see why Apple haven't done it - if people will pay extra, let them!)

- Better front camera (negligible but i just noticed the other day that the front camera on the S3 is actually excellent quality, by far the best I've seen)

- Widgets (I like to have email/music widgets on my home/lock screen so I don't have to go into the apps to control them. Admittedly the more widgets I had on my old sensation the slower it would get so I settled with two, but on the GS3 it smashes them without problem. People may say they "don't want" widgets - absolutely fine! But I really like having the option, I'm sure there's plenty of Apple users who would use them if they could)

- Flash support (Moot point for some people but not for me. I realise they are stopping official support in the JB update but there is already an app on the Play store which will replace the official one, so I understand)

There are other little bits too but I've said enough on this. There are also some nice features on iPhones which Android doesn't have so it works both ways, such as: iCloud for syncing all your s**t across platforms very easily (this is doable on android but its not as seamless and the average joe would struggle), having the power button on the top (a feature I dislike about the GS3 is it being on the side), app support (this gap isn't anywhere near as big as it used to be but it's still there, Sky Go is one example - it only works on a few devices), build quality.

At the end of the day all the above is personal preference, but at least I have answered your question Rob.

UMTS is a standard. There's very little in terms of variation between speed from one device to another.
Then you have to account for signal strength, antenna performance, geography.

If we were both on the same network in the same place and ran a speed test the difference would be negligible.

Browser performance however is much easier to test.

Very true, saying that one phone was quicker over 3G than another is immeasurable and invalid, however browser tests would show real world differences.

I think that's about all I can be bothered to say! Now will you all STFU and agree that we all buy our phones because of personal preference!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Forgot about the "I'm a mac" adverts. I await Munson saying "it's not the same"

Iirc everyone thought those adverts were great, which they would, as it was apple who made them.

A ANIMAL
This thread is both pointless and frustrating.

I bought an iphone 5 because my 4 was perfect for me - so the 5 was a logical step.

I've seen and contemplated android and certainly think it is much much better than it was, but i personally think its not quite as slick as iOS, but i havent used too many handsets so i'm sure it varies.

As per Seb i have itunes so it just makes my life easier to stay with apple.

TBF the look of the phone is probably more importnant than all the specs (as long as everything billed works well, which it does) - which is something for me Samsung, HTC Etc will never quite get.

This is my only apple product FYI.

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I don't understand the 5 being late on 4G then? 3 months isn't late if that's fact.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Dude, you are f**king annoying.

Its fun winding you up, but give it a rest.

I'm annoying you because I have differing views to your own?

Look I've given a valid argument. Yours consisted of "You just don't get it".

I even stepped up and said that the iPhone 5 does have its redeeming features and is better than the S3 in some instances. Something which you as a iPhone lover can't bring yourself to do the other way round.

And lol at winding me up. I feel, seeing as you're the one that's got all moody all of a sudden that in fact I'm actually winding you up.

Rather than you just saying "yeah the S3 processor out performs the A6" you'd rather moan about the fact that its not the same based on various tests on different versions of android and it should be "fixed".

The A6 isn't performing to its full capabilities and may well be capable of a higher clock speed than the current meek 1ghz, but you'll have to wait till future releases of iOS to see that probably. Although perhaps apple will do the usual trick of releasing a 5S with the same processor but running the clock speeds its actually capable of to entice single track minded people to buy it.

But that's all my opinion.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
This thread is funny...

It's also funny how when Markcup created a not dissimilar thread in the "Apple" section the other week it was removed because certain people on the admin team don't like to see any Apple bashing going on in that section yet anyone and everyone is free to bash Android all they like:rolleyes:.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
There are so many stupid points from both sides in here it really has become a pointless thread so I'll make my last reply this one, merely to point out people making stupid claims.

LOL Rhys.

Forgetting the issue with iphones when they had loads of consumers going to watchdog about iPhones apparently suffering from water damage when they had never been near water? Guess what, that happened to me. My 3GS randomly got WSOD for no reason, sent it for for repair and 10 days later it came back with "water damage" and I have to claim on insurance. It had never ever been near any water, i never even used it in the rain. So to conclude, your point is massively invalid. See here: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/iphone-water-damage-indicators-leave-users-seeing-red-49305888/

LOL. So it's late then, being that USA is the biggest market and they have had 4G across there for ages.

I find it hilarious how everyone has ignored this post. Roy Munson must be disgusted with these Apple ads because they are apparently desperate.

This is also comical, saying you're not a fan boy is like saying the Pope isn't religious. Some of the stuff you have come out with in the past, at least Tom makes (mostly) valid points and backs it up with knowledge and facts.

One of the most sensible posts I've seen.

For me:

- Bigger screen (how anyone can say this is a negative is beyond me, unless a)the phone is too big to comfortably fit in your pocket but with the ergonomic shape of the S3 i honestly can't even feel it's in my pocket any more than I can an iphone and I've actually tested this because I'm massively sad or b)the phone was so big you couldn't comfortably reach the keys on the keyboard, again even in landscape mode the GS3 is fine)

- NFC (not necessarily used yet but from what I have read two of the large bank corporations are going to be pushing this on phones soon so it's handy to be future proof for the nest 2 years or so, also good for ticketing etc)

- SD Slot (as said before this is useful, my phone comes with 16GB of memory but I can whack SD card to double or quadruple that at any time at a comparably small price. However, I can see why Apple haven't done it - if people will pay extra, let them!)

- Better front camera (negligible but i just noticed the other day that the front camera on the S3 is actually excellent quality, by far the best I've seen)

- Widgets (I like to have email/music widgets on my home/lock screen so I don't have to go into the apps to control them. Admittedly the more widgets I had on my old sensation the slower it would get so I settled with two, but on the GS3 it smashes them without problem. People may say they "don't want" widgets - absolutely fine! But I really like having the option, I'm sure there's plenty of Apple users who would use them if they could)

- Flash support (Moot point for some people but not for me. I realise they are stopping official support in the JB update but there is already an app on the Play store which will replace the official one, so I understand)

There are other little bits too but I've said enough on this. There are also some nice features on iPhones which Android doesn't have so it works both ways, such as: iCloud for syncing all your s**t across platforms very easily (this is doable on android but its not as seamless and the average joe would struggle), having the power button on the top (a feature I dislike about the GS3 is it being on the side), app support (this gap isn't anywhere near as big as it used to be but it's still there, Sky Go is one example - it only works on a few devices), build quality.

At the end of the day all the above is personal preference, but at least I have answered your question Rob.

Very true, saying that one phone was quicker over 3G than another is immeasurable and invalid, however browser tests would show real world differences.

I think that's about all I can be bothered to say! Now will you all STFU and agree that we all buy our phones because of personal preference!

This is the most sensible post in this thread.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Why does it always have to be a competition? It's personal choice at the end of the day. It still surprises me that some people can't see the extreme irony in mocking Apple fans for being fanboys.

You're missing the point that I'm not an "android fanboy" I much prefer apple products on the whole. I'm sat here typing on my MBP and I've been posting from my iPhone 4 all day. I just think that recently. The iPhones have been seriously lacking over the last few releases which is why I'll be going for an S3, because I'm not deluded and can see the benefits.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
You're missing the point that I'm not an "android fanboy" I much prefer apple products on the whole. I'm sat here typing on my MBP and I've been posting from my iPhone 4 all day. I just think that recently. The iPhones have been seriously lacking over the last few releases which is why I'll be going for an S3, because I'm not deluded and can see the benefits.

But, if you use other apple products then sure it makes sense to get an iPhone?

The way my iPhone/iPad/MBP sync with iCloud is really handy. And I've got loads of apps that I don't want to have to repurchase on android if I changed etc.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
But, if you use other apple products then sure it makes sense to get an iPhone?

The way my iPhone/iPad/MBP sync with iCloud is really handy. And I've got loads of apps that I don't want to have to repurchase on android if I changed etc.

It would be handy if I used iCloud. It annoys me so I don't use it. I'll lose some apps but tbh, there aren't many I actually use.

The thing is the S3 will sync with my gmail. Which is just as handy for me and the main deal breaker is the memory. The fact I can get a 64GB Micro SD to put in it completely out weights the iPhones memory capabilities which is one of my main gripes. I have virtually nothing on my 16GB iPhone and it's almost full, I don't want to be selective with my music choice on my phone as I like different stuff at different times so this makes perfect sense for me purely because I don't want to be bent over for extra storage space.

Also you'll find the majority of the apps you've had to pay for on your iPhone you'll be able to pick up for free on the Android Market.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Also you'll find the majority of the apps you've had to pay for on your iPhone you'll be able to pick up for free on the Android Market.

I've found some are when messing about on my dads phone, but they usually have ads, and you have to pay for the app to go ad free. So they aren't really free.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I've found some are when messing about on my dads phone, but they usually have ads, and you have to pay for the app to go ad free. So they aren't really free.

Fair comment. I didn't find that personally on the apps I was looking at all depends on what you're using though.

The other big seller for me is the screen size. I have fat fingers so needed a bigger screen.