ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dingers CSCC Tin Top Build

Cup In bits
As said gutted for you, hope you get out soon again.

I have had my old car snap/yaw like your video twice before bit I couldn't find anything wrong. I thought the brake pads fell out both times.

clio cup
We had just done the alignment which was spot on, (other than the wheel not being in straight position).

Its fair to say the alignment is out now!

clio cup
Until I get them off Sonny I couldnt say, but just a quick look yesterday they didnt show on damage, so fingers crossed mate,

I'll start stripping the car on Monday so will know more then,

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Bloody hell! Looks like the back just let go with no warning! Its only tin though, hope you can get sorted

clio cup
Thanks Danny,
I missed third gear coming down the box, ran out of room and just unfortunate that I caught the sauasage

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
Thanks Danny,
I missed third gear coming down the box, ran out of room and just unfortunate that I caught the sauasage

"caught the sausage" ..... is it too innappropriate to make a joke about that??

p.s. glad to see you're okay, I'm on the look out for those sausages this season!

Clio Trophy #343
Looked to be going well before hand too, the main thing is you are alright :) hope the new shell comes together ok :)

Out of interest, why did your steering wheel come off? Is that a design or was it an issue?

clio cup
Thanks Ian,

Collecting a shell on Monday and will crack on with it as soon as I can, Ive emailed Steve to see what the latest I can send my entry in, However, if there is any damage to the AST's then its game over for a while.

Can someone with eagle ears go back and have a listen to the video, Just before I go over there is a noise which you wouldnt expect to be there, If I didnt hit the "sausage" then something broke!

I'm trying to get my brain round the fact that if anything didnt break and I didnt hit anything then I'm concerned this will happen every time I spin!

WRX
Watched it in slowmo Dave and you can tell that the back end goes way before the kerb, I just think it's a case of it being wet and the back going light due to "the gearbox fault"

Do you mean the screech?

clio cup
Watched it in slowmo Dave and you can tell that the back end goes way before the kerb, I just think it's a case of it being wet and the back going light due to "the gearbox fault"

Do you mean the screech?

Gearbox fault, Its the driver that had a problem, lol,

You should have gone to specsavers Adam, The track is dry!

I know why the back end broke away, I can deal with that, I can deal with the back end going light, My issue is, If I didnt hit anything or nothing broke then why is the car so unbalanced in a spin that it wants to roll over......

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Really sorry to see this Dave, glad your getting stuck into the rebuild though, and it's good to see the club spirit with folk offering parts and help.

I was also a bit taken aback at how easy it went over, so like you, it would be nice to understand exactly what, if anything caused it, or if it was just bad luck.
I've watched the video dozens of times now, it's hard to tell if you caught the kerb or not but if you did, it must have been by a bawhair! Granted that's all it would take though given the situation the car was in.
It looks like you have some sort of data logger on the car, does it have a 3axis accelerometer? if so that may be able to shed some light on things.
If something did break that would certainly explain it and would make it a bit easier to come to terms with.

Regarding the steering wheel coming off, that is quite scary! Was it a welded on quick release boss?

182cup & 172 racecar
From what I can see Dave, is that without the car being straight, you miss a gear, back end goes light and starts to come round on you.
This then takes you to the inside of the track towards the kerb, now the car is already on the lean due to breaking away, so you have 80-90% of the weight already on the off side, it didn't take much persuasion for it to go over, like standing on tiptoe and somebody giving you a nudge.

Just unfortunate circumstances.

clio cup
Really sorry to see this Dave, glad your getting stuck into the rebuild though, and it's good to see the club spirit with folk offering parts and help.

I was also a bit taken aback at how easy it went over, so like you, it would be nice to understand exactly what, if anything caused it, or if it was just bad luck.
I've watched the video dozens of times now, it's hard to tell if you caught the kerb or not but if you did, it must have been by a bawhair! Granted that's all it would take though given the situation the car was in.
It looks like you have some sort of data logger on the car, does it have a 3axis accelerometer? if so that may be able to shed some light on things.
If something did break that would certainly explain it and would make it a bit easier to come to terms with.

Regarding the steering wheel coming off, that is quite scary! Was it a welded on quick release boss?

Hi Kenny,

The steering wheel didnt break, and in the past I've tried my hardest to pull it off without pulling the release.
Its a lifeline style quick release which are ultra reliable so can only think I didnt put it on properly,
I did have one of those weld on ones and within a week the pin that secures it flew out, sent it back and swore I'd never use one agian!

TBH, the day was never supposed to happen, I'm not supersticous but the events leading up to that day had "give up" written all over them. something was telling me not to do the test day.

clio cup
From what I can see Dave, is that without the car being straight, you miss a gear, back end goes light and starts to come round on you.
This then takes you to the inside of the track towards the kerb, now the car is already on the lean due to breaking away, so you have 80-90% of the weight already on the off side, it didn't take much persuasion for it to go over, like standing on tiptoe and somebody giving you a nudge.

Just unfortunate circumstances.

These are my thoughts too Tony,

it would just be nice to be certain that touching the kerb pushed what was already an out of balance car to go past the point of no return. Rather than a mechnaical fault ( albeit I put that car in that situation)

Dont get me wrong, Its part of motorsport that can happen at any time so just a small set back

The annoyance is that tracks around the country are introducing these (sausages) in order to keep you in track limits, But designed to damage the car if you accidently get out of shape and have to take avoiding action,

Thanks for everyones input

see you tommorow Tony

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I've been trying to work out which direction the front wheels were facing when you went over. Looks to me like you tried steering into the slide but were already turning left so the wheels were in effect straight so at the perfect angle to dig in and tuck under

clio cup
So I finally got to look at the Clio today, Plan was to assess the AST's and go from there, First inspection shows that there is no damage to the strutts and all that has been damaged is front subframe(which just kissed the engine sump) off side wishbone, hub and ball joint,
We shot off to collect the new shell which was a 80 mile round trip., No problem getting it on the trailer.

B0C3A13A-B77B-4173-9018-95665F997EF0-1466-00000228726E1B85_zpscfdeb415.jpg

646FF10E-4450-4A3B-9F14-5AC9386C30DD-1466-000002288452564F_zps2b29f824.jpg

Then back to the workshop to start stripping the bent car, Luckily when I built the car I went on the basis that it needs to practacle but minimal, so the strip down wasnt bad and within a couple of hours I was left with this

ED0A0B9B-6C9F-451A-BFC9-10F98447AB54-1466-00000228271277EF_zps8ada3777.jpg

1560E53B-C969-4740-BCAE-B88952D66E7D-1466-000002282E09AA23_zps45f76718.jpg

Tommorow we will cut the old foot plates out ready for welding in on Thursday, Hopefully have it painted inside by the weekend.
Who'd of thought that the AST's are stronger than cast Iron?????

B819AEC3-1C5A-4A23-BA4B-63925690EFEB-1466-0000022834BDF1D4_zpscd0dac53.jpg

All in all a productive day and looking even more promising for Rockingham!!!!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Will be good to see that ole shell live on.

You camera is bloody terrible though lol.

f**king good pics for a potato though, I assume thats what it is anyway ;)

Always wondered about reusing a cage after a roll, is it ok so long as its not been bent or is it heading for the bin?

clio cup
I'm re using the cage as its not damaged, it never hit the roof,
I'm re shelling it due to the inner quarter damage where it landed on its arse on the passenger rear quarter. If there was any danger that the cage took a hit I would bin it.