ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dingers CSCC Tin Top Build

clio cup
That swift is an absolute menace, its actually comedy fast in a straight line the way it takes off!
How hard do you try to get heat in your tires, esp. the rears on the green flag lap Dave? I never have a problem with stone cold tires on mine, not to the extent you seem to anyway.
Russ
Yeah, its comical,
He came over to me after race 2 with a backhanded apology as to why he holds me up every corner, Then asked me why it doesnt handle or brake very well.........
Main reason is that he's squeezed 280BHP out of a 1.3 over head valve engine that was never meant to hit those speeds, he runs Gaz coilovers which are clearly not up to scratch.
I told him he needs to drop the power to meet its handling capabilities and he looked at me as though I'd just told him I'd shagged his wife!!!!!! One more meeting being stuck behind him and the situation needs to be sorted, it dangerous for everyone, You saw the near miss mid corner I had with him due to the corner speed difference which put me into a near spin!

clio cup
What the f**k is in that Swift! Takes off like a stabbed rat :anguished:
Its a turbo'd 1.3 overhaed valve engine James,,,,, Goes like stink in a straight line but cant brake or corner for toffee,,,,, His mate last year got banned from the club for the exact same car, but at least this guy keeps it on the tarmac!

clio cup
That just showed how quick you passed me! you flew! Like Russ said, that Swift can't have move in a straight line.
Thanks Andrew, Its taken me a lot of hard work and trial and error getting the car to where it is now, Just need more power!!!!!

My JMS inlet set up is for sale if you didnt have the funds to go down the throttle body and Stand alone ECU set up/

clio cup
How hard do you try to get heat in your tires, esp. the rears on the green flag lap Dave? I never have a problem with stone cold tires on mine, not to the extent you seem to anyway.
Russ

I work the tyres quite hard on the green flag lap Russ, When I ordered the AST's we went with something different to the Norm spring rate wise so perhaps its a little too stiff on the rear,
The car performs better after 4 laps and am nearing top laptimes with what in reality is near standard power, Perhaps a little softer on the rear will heat the tyres up faster and give me better ci
confidence the first few laps

clio cup
Race 3 Report
This by far the least eventful race of the day, starting in 9th position myplan was to gain a couple of places and keep out of trouble, I was never going to catch the 240BHP Hondas at the front but just need a race where I didnt throw it all away on the first lap!
This I did without problems and just kept it clean throughout the race, I got awarded 2 places when James in the BMW had a coming together with the red Subaru so I just kept the times down and finished in 8th,
Although not so good finish positions I certainly had fun in race 1 and 2 running through the pack and again the car has been reliable!
16 races so far and 16 finishes. Roll on 2015 where we will see the car with more power to attack the front runners!

Race 3 video footage

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Its a turbo'd 1.3 overhaed valve engine James,,,,, Goes like stink in a straight line but cant brake or corner for toffee,,,,, His mate last year got banned from the club for the exact same car, but at least this guy keeps it on the tarmac!

Yeah, you really caught him in the corners! Nice driving.

Cup In bits
Just watched race one, some good racing Dave but whats that weird pinging/wobble board sound out of the corners and into braking zones with steering angle on?

clio cup
Thanks mate,
In qually I took to the grass and caught a rutt sideways and put the geo out. When we checked it there was a very small amount of play in the bearing so suspect this is the noise heard on the camera. Although it sounds terrible on the audio the noise was not heard by myself inside the car so must resonate through the chassis/roll cage where the camera is mounted.
All bearings will be replaced over winter though.

Cup In bits
That would make perfect sense, I thought Rolf was in there at times haha. It loved doing it at the seen of the last cars demise, good to see you get over that demon and have a good weekend.

clio cup
Thanks Morgan, Watching the video back and wondering about the noise" can you guess what it is yeeeeet?"
I drove Snetterton in June so had to find my legs again round Corham and almost re learn the corner, Looking back at the crash footage its very clear to see now that I was just carrying too much speed too far around the exit of Corham leaving me no room to slow the car,
That corner is a little bit like a game of snooker, you have to think further ahead and slow the car earlier than feels natural, get it right and there is lots of room for mistake, get it wrong and it costs dearly!

Renault Clio 172
Thanks Andrew, Its taken me a lot of hard work and trial and error getting the car to where it is now, Just need more power!!!!!

My JMS inlet set up is for sale if you didnt have the funds to go down the throttle body and Stand alone ECU set up/

I'm going to go ITB's I think, rather than a half way point. I'd only be diserpointed

Renault Clio 172
Didn't finish typing then!

I'd only feel disappointed if I didn't go the whole hog. Think I'm going to get it to RS Tuning and let them do there magic! Then spend a while paying the card off:)

clio cup
"I can teach you but i'd have to charge!"

Haha,

On a serious note, My tyres that I've been using are way beyond what should be used, They should of been change 4 meetings ago so this wont help, Like I've said in other posts, To keep up in the first couple of laps I need to drive the car at 11/10th, this is due to the lower power, If the power was there I could afford to back off 5% and avoid the risk of oversteer on cold tyres.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
For reference my rear springs are 750lb, pm's rear bearing and stiffening kit + last year ran the Whiteline arb, will be running the pms arb this year but I might also try a stiffer rear spring again something like a 900lb depending how pre-season testing goes. Iirc my old cup car used to run 1000lb rears but was so unforgiving.
Russ

I was looking for your thread the other day Dave and here it is!

Genuine Lol at the 'shagged wife' comment.

Didn't know you ran a JMS inlet? Thought you were totally standard. Any upgrades planned over the winter???

Last edited:
  clio cup
I was looking for your thread the other day Dave and here it is!

Genuine Lol at the 'shagged wife' comment.

Didn't know you ran a JMS inlet? Thought you were totally standard. Any upgrades planned over the winter???
I thought you had a look at it over the Oulton weekend mate, Its now off the car and sold, Plans over the winter are
Throttle bodies
Omex
Cams
head work
Gearbox refurb
all new bearings on the driveline

Going to be busy I reckon, lol

I thought you had a look at it over the Oulton weekend mate, Its now off the car and sold, Plans over the winter are
Throttle bodies
Omex
Cams
head work
Gearbox refurb
all new bearings on the driveline

Going to be busy I reckon, lol

No I didn't get a chance to have a proper look at it really.

Yep you are going to be a busy boy, nice shopping list there though!

Looks like I am going to be the only clio in class A with a standard engine at this rate!

clio cup
Winter mods are already under way with the head removed ready to be sent for re work,
Camshafts sourced
ECU sourced
Phase 1 Fuel pump housing sourced
Phase 1 throttle pedal and cable sourced
Uprated fuel pump sourced
Full body and engine loom sourced

Just need to rob a bank now and get my throttle bodies ordered.

Gearbox needs to be sent of for a rebuild and the diff checked and then its just get it bolted back together and get it mapped.

Hopefully be back together around the end of January for some testing.

Clio, Nova, Astra
Just read full thread pal.
Brilliant read some really useful info for a beginne like me well done on getting in another shell and starting again so to speak I will be following this one keep it up pal

clio cup
Winter mods are already under way with the head removed ready to be sent for re work,
Camshafts sourced
ECU sourced
Phase 1 Fuel pump housing sourced
Phase 1 throttle pedal and cable sourced
Uprated fuel pump sourced
Full body and engine loom sourced

Just need to rob a bank now and get my throttle bodies ordered.

Gearbox needs to be sent of for a rebuild and the diff checked and then its just get it bolted back together and get it mapped.

Hopefully be back together around the end of January for some testing.

Well that didnt go to plan,

Only addition to that list are the throttle bodies, so just need some time to put everything together. will update soon when the car is out of the garage

clio cup
Me neither James but once I'd put the clips together and started to play around with the gopro studio it sounded ok, if it was the full race in its entirety then a big no no.

clio cup
Happy days, 3rd in class for last seasons efforts, well chuffed with that
10592790_10206085405556981_7649017315288506463_n_zpse8xgvrvx.jpg