ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dingers CSCC Tin Top Build

182cup & 172 racecar
Dave, Ians got a bonnet he said you could have, offered it to you over on TA forum. I thought I had one, but don't.

clio cup
I missed that Tony. I managed to get one yesterday but thanks for the offer Ian.
If I said I am tired that would be a understatement! Now got man flu so hopefully be fresh for next weekend.

Only a couple of little bits to do now

clio cup
Some more pics of the almost complete car taken on Friday, I've not amaged to do anything on the car over the wekend due to weddings and mothers day so will be continueing tommorow night, Its booked in for geometry on Thursday so hope nothing is too far out,
List of jobs to do now are
Finish sponsor decals
Wire aux gauges
wrap bonnet
bolt bonnet catches in
Corner weight and geo
Think thats about it, I'm then off to Rocking early Friday morning for testing.

1962695_613902145353065_1294907316_n_zps6a0f9b62.jpg

1779809_613902282019718_1557202734_n_zpsd7e31219.jpg

10154210_613902175353062_1235720647_n_zps0af1d263.jpg

1978760_613902432019703_1534383010_n_zpsd4af4bc4.jpg

clio cup
Little update as there are only 1 day left to test the little blighter!
Geo was done yesterday and to my surprise the rear beam is straighter after the roll than it was before, lol,
Camber was perfect as was toe, The fron took us a while but can also confirm that I have nothing bent on the front, We replaced the subframe and wishbones, I bought some genuine cup wishbones which I thought I had on origonally as these were the ones on the car when I bought it, However, It seems to have a lot more caster than before, so I suspect my origonal ones had been replaced with non cup items at some point in its life.

Jobs left to do.
Wrap bonnet
wire gauges

C8DA806C-08DD-4FAF-A03C-747D4E0FF236-891-0000010D7DBD1171_zps4d099b8d.jpg

clio cup
Annoyingly Sonny, the units are slotted but cant get enough camber with standard bolts, so have fitted some eibach camber bolts which slop around in there but give enough to hold it,
Last year James had issues with the camber moving when taking too much kerb but we'll see how we get on, The long term plan is to get some KW camber bolts which have off set washers welded on to the bolt and work like a cam lobe on the outside of the shock mount, but will need to weld something on there for it to work.

182cup & 172 racecar
Or, just get a file in there like I did and use the original bolts. Camber bolts will move, mine did at Mallory, ended up with 5 one side and 1 the other.

Just saying.

clio cup
PHEW!!!!!

All loaded up and car packed ready for a couple of days in Northamptonshire.

And the CF card for my data logger has just currupted!!!!!!!

Well done mate to you and your team, done a splendid job getting it all together for the deadline. Hope tomorrow goes well, will see you tomorrow evening mate for a catch up.

P.s do you need a SD card? I should have a spare

clio cup
Thanks James, not sure at the minute whether its the card or the reader so going to try and get to maplins in the lunch break tommorow, be handy if you could bring both James, much appreciated.

Thanks Sonny, it's been a journey to say the least!
Looks like your doing some last minute mods too. See you tommorow, think we are going for a curry.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah but not enough mark.
Russ
I reckon mine would give me about 5-6 degrees mate! When you take into account the 5mm per wheel extra you've got from the hubs and the 10mm I've got from my set, achieving that much camber should be easy. Yours are maybe done different to mine then and didn't have such a large slot. Strange!

clio cup
Wow, Not updated this for ages!!!!!!!
I wont play catch up but will put the latest Snetterton stuff up, The try to keep this going with updates over winter

Race report from the Track Attack all comers season finale,

Got to the circuit for mid day on Friday to set up camp and get everything ready, the plan was for Mumbray Motorsport to arrive shortly afterwards with their Newly built BMW 330 Saloon,
This wasnt to be as logistic issues with parts meant the car was still not finished, So me and Carl set about erecting the huge new pit garage?hospitality suite on our own,
A few phone calls throughout the day and the guys from Mumbray motorsport still hadnt left and it was getting dark. That meant we would be working into the night ready for race day.
The boys with the BMW arrived at 9pm but we quickly realised that something was not right with the clutch on the BMW, some smoke and James telling us that it was slipping was not good news and the only solution was to take the gearbox out to see what was going on, Initial inspection only found a friction plate that was visabliy getting hot, all measurments were ok but with no spare clutch our thinking caps were on. Paul decided that they would go back to Mumbray Motorsport HQ and get the origonal flywheel and clutch. A few hours later and a hybrid clutch/flywheel set up saw the car back together but only qualifying would tell as we could not run the car till 8 am.

Qualifying
Damp would be an understatement! not wet as it hadnt rained for a couple of day but the damp air meant a cold,damp greasy track, A mistake by myself into Riches saw me spinning across the grass at about 90mph closing in on another stranded car in the corn field, luckily the car stopped 20 yard short of this but on its way there I caught a rut in the grass sideways which had either put the geometry out or bent something, I could not improve on my times after that as something was clearly wrong.
Back in the pits the wheels were off but all paint marks were fine and visually it looked right, a quick camber measurement showed that the camber on the drivers side was 1 degree less than the passenger side so this was changed and hoped that it would be ok for race 1.
Qualified 7th out of 35 cars and fastest lap was 2.34.493
Was pleased with that as I'd done 2 laps less than most others

No video footage as I'd forgot to turn the camera on!!!

James in the Mumbray Motorsport BMW qualified in a respectable 17th place, this car had not turned a wheel since build!

A half decent start saw me on the inside of Riches but the Honda in front of missed his braking point, locked up and pushed the subaru sideways, meanwhile the Blue 106 though he'd try driving round the outside of everyone on cold rear tyres, This didnt end up well for all involved but I manged to get away without damage, but it was a close call and nealry got caught up in someone else accident,
I pushed on and needed to gain back the few places I had lost, I did manage this but the safety car was brought out,
We had a briefing before the race and the main point of topic was about safety cars and keeping a tight bunch of cars whilst on the slow lap, I have edited the video as this didnt happen and the cars in front were leaving big gaps so the front runners would be way off when we went green flag again, (im sure you dont need to see me waving my hands in the air and swearing at people who cant take instruction)
On tyres which were still cold and what would of been a much faster entry into Riches I took it on the cautious side, got through thi infield ok but with an MR2 on the inside for Oggies I broke too late on cold rears and lost the back end, shooting onto the grass and losing a few places, The rest of the race was spent making up time I'd lost from my mistake, Some good lap times though and once again improvement in my driving and the car performance.
Finsihed back where I started in 7th, 5th in class, Couldnt keep with those quick Honda's!

Race 1 Video footage

clio cup
As promised Here is my Race 2 report

Once again starting 7th on the grid meant the inside line for Riches, Everyone was a little less eager this time so cleanly through and up to the hairpin, Coming past an MR2 before Palmer but not quite in front to take the racing line I had left myself too wide and on the pebbles, with cold tyres the rear end broke away, I did catch it but was now on the grass heading for the tyre wall, I needed to get back on the throttle to slow my forward speed down, luckily this worked but had trouble getting back on to the track as this was Palmers exit point,
This put me in last place, not a great first lap,
Got my head down and set about gaining back a few places which in fact didnt seem to be an issue, I spent nearly 3 laps behind Andy in his Swift which was a little frustrating as his straight line speed is incredible but the Clio can out brake and out corner the little Swift, An almost coming together on the exit of Palmer saw me nearly throw all my hard work down the pan again but managed to save it and only lost a place to Mathew in his Peugeot 106,
Had a good clean battle with Mathew over the next lap and found my way back past ready to chase Andy in the Swift again,
A frustrating race as I was in 35th place on the first lap and to gain 26 places over 6 laps and finish in 9th!

Race 2 video footage

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
That swift is an absolute menace, its actually comedy fast in a straight line the way it takes off!
How hard do you try to get heat in your tires, esp. the rears on the green flag lap Dave? I never have a problem with stone cold tires on mine, not to the extent you seem to anyway.
Russ

Renault Clio 172
That just showed how quick you passed me! you flew! Like Russ said, that Swift can't have move in a straight line.