ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dingers CSCC Tin Top Build

clio cup
After a few years away from racing, last year I decided to get back to the fold with a Clio 172, My choice of car was the 172 Cup as origonally I decided to keep it a simple build with not too much hard work involved to get it ready for race.
I quickly realised that it wouldnt be that simple and kept seeing areas on the car that could be improved and would kick myself if I hadnt built it properly from the outset, so the car started to get smaller as bits came off and the list began to grow,
So far I'm about three quarters of the way through with most of the leg work done, I'm not gong to bore you with the progress over the last 6 months but will post some pictures to date and continue with progress updates from here on,

So a story in the life of my 172 Cup tin top racer build up to now.

photo36_zps1c8e9195.jpg

photo37_zpsea3b05c7.jpg

photo42_zpsea156b18.jpg

photo34_zps8024871c.jpg

photo39_zps0b2bb561.jpg

photo45_zpsefeb338a.jpg

photo47_zps254deb19.jpg

photo44_zpsfacac6da.jpg

photo51_zps00a0294a.jpg

photo55_zps9867dc88.jpg

photo56_zps8796efe7.jpg

photo69_zps3a6d5253.jpg

photo70_zpsfe663dd3.jpg

photo75_zpsbe0484f9.jpg

photo74_zpsff174375.jpg

photo80_zpsf7cd9e5c.jpg

photo81_zps71567841.jpg

photo88_zps09e0fb87.jpg

photo90_zps1b6977f0.jpg

photo92_zps30430632.jpg

photo89_zpsb5f62148.jpg

photo91_zpsae20b56d.jpg

45EF174F-14F8-4B6E-866F-C6A3E573D6A1-2891-000003BDA7D282A5_zps2d24645e.jpg

So Thats where I am up to now, Still waiting for some parts to arrive so I can bolt the gearbox back on and re fit the engine after an overhaul.

Thanks

182cup & 172 racecar
Interesting. Ever thought of the new series French Trophy,with Track Attack club, free registration atm. I shall'nt be doing many CSCC rounds this year.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Nice! Storm Grey?

(I can't take you seriously unfortunately. The tyre/exhaust place I use has a full blown r****d there who goes by the name of Dinger! LOL)

But yeah, Storm Grey Mk2 ph2's...

837deb7b.jpg

clio cup
Is that not a time attack style format Tony?

Wouldnt be interested if it is, been doing some sprint races in my Kit car and it bored the pants off me!

clio cup
Its not storm Grey Dan,

Its just a solid grey I chose from a colour chart, As for being retarded! I could work in an exhaust place,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but dont, lol

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
FLOL!! You can type coherently so you're way out of his league mate.

Keep us updated with the build. Loving the progress so far. :D

clio cup
Engine spec wise, I've blown all my budget this year on suspension and drivetrain so the engine is internally standard apart from arp bolts, new dephaser,pulleys and belt, Next winter will be another engine refresh with more power and stronger internal,cams and ITB's

Sorry for the multiple posts

clio cup
Looks interesting Tony, entry fee's are not bad either, will see how things pan out as the year goes by and progress on the car.

I think your mate Jay has sussed me out though, lol

clio cup
Looking good so far! Have you gone for KW's variant 2's?

Yes, they are Variant 2's, on the look out for some rear "proper" coilovers though and remove the inboard spring.

Managed to get the comp brake solid top mounts fitted this eve, will get some pics up tommorrow

clio cup
Thanks for the heads up Tony but the wallet is dry till the end of the month and I think they are provisionally sold

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Thanks for the heads up Tony but the wallet is dry till the end of the month and I think they are provisionally sold

Have a word with Josh from Cooksport about his Ast kits I have just fitted mine but kept the original spring location but as they use the rear coilover damper i dont think it would cost too much to convert to a coilover set up.

clio cup
Thanks Gents,

No progress this weekend due to the weather, the wife has had enough of holding the umbrella whilst I work

clio cup
Ok, so I am in the middle of removing the power steering pump and using a saxo electric pump, I've dont this many years ago on a different race car but not a 172.

Below is a pic of my present temp setup but if anyone else has ideas then it would be most appreciated

681AE3E6-CDEB-437E-BA85-117914774C87-2891-000004F6F820265A_zpsc9ce04a3.jpg

What cage is that you have fitted mate? Had a quick read through but apologies if you've already said and i've missed it. Cheers

clio cup
Tomo,

Its the OMP bolt in, Its had some mods to it, the first being a bulkhead bar across the two front legs that also attach to the steering column and a harness bar welded in, Also drivers side cross bar instead of single bar. Bought from balance motorsport although I think all the OMP stuff comes through Demon thieves.

clio cup
I'm hoping to be out for the June meeting. will be entering the new French Trophy.

Still lots to do but have all the parts so if I can get the time it may be done sooner

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Ok, so I am in the middle of removing the power steering pump and using a saxo electric pump, I've dont this many years ago on a different race car but not a 172.

Below is a pic of my present temp setup but if anyone else has ideas then it would be most appreciated

681AE3E6-CDEB-437E-BA85-117914774C87-2891-000004F6F820265A_zpsc9ce04a3.jpg
What parts did you use for the Saxo pump mod Buddy?

Car is looking excellent.

clio cup
Thanks Fred,

Jay also pointed me in the right direction, Amazing what you miss when your engrosed in something, woods and trees come to mind, lol

clio cup
A small update,

Made some progress on the dash today, Not as simple as it seems as I have a 40mm cross bar running across the bulkhead attached to each side of the Roll cage and also to the steering comlumn,
Not decided where my gauges or switch panel will go yet as I'm waiting for a panel to come from the fabricators, Ignition switch will be infront of the gear lever but only for the purposes of the immobiliser as I dont want anyone driving the car away.

I have alot of bits waiting to go onto the car but am still waiting for my gripper diff to arrive and can only do small thing till the engine and gearbox are in, once that happens its full speed ahead and should be ready within a couple fo weeks afer engine install.

photo94_zpsbd673bc6.jpg

photo95_zps8eb18066.jpg

photo96_zps9d988da6.jpg

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Hi

I have a couple of questions regarding your cage , does it clear the fuse box ok or does it need to be moved ? and the rear stays that go down to the rear floor, did you raise the plating up as opposed to welding the plate direct to the floor to allow for anything as some of the other Omp cages look like they are welded flat , if you know what I mean ?

​Thanks.