ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dingers CSCC Tin Top Build

clio cup
Well, I had the tester from Hell! 25 minutes of watching that DVD, then the guy rambled on for 90 minutes about preparing for a race day, Passed ok but never going to get the time back, lol

My last ARDS test went like this,,,,

Tester " Hi guys, here's the DVD, I'll put it on while you fill out the question paper, have a chat amongst yourselves for the right answer and I'll be back in 20 mins once I have finished my cup of coffee"

Driving test,,,,

Tester,, "Slow down mate, its not a race"

Passed, lol

clio cup
Still no Diff Tony, Spoke to the company today but not overly helpfull and have not had a responce from them since 10am, If they had said from the start that it would be 2 months lead time then I would of put the engine and box back in and finished the car,
All I have got from them is strung along saying it will be within 7 days every two weeks!

Anyone got the number for gripper direct as a google search only leads me in one direction:(

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
It has cup master cylinder (4 port) and cup load valve with abs servo ( cup one gives different assistance)

What's the thinking with the ABS servo Jay? Not seen the Cup servo. Is it slightly larger same as the one used on the Clio 2 Racer?

Nice build Dave, looking good :)

Well, I had the tester from Hell! 25 minutes of watching that DVD, then the guy rambled on for 90 minutes about preparing for a race day, Passed ok but never going to get the time back, lol

My last ARDS test went like this,,,,

Tester " Hi guys, here's the DVD, I'll put it on while you fill out the question paper, have a chat amongst yourselves for the right answer and I'll be back in 20 mins once I have finished my cup of coffee"

Driving test,,,,

Tester,, "Slow down mate, its not a race"

Passed, lol

Second test?

My BARS test was like your first ARDS:

tester: I think there are some dodgy questions in here and it's just a license for them to print money, so after you've watched the video we'll have a little chat then you can fill out the test ;)

172 Race Car
What's the thinking with the ABS servo Jay? Not seen the Cup servo. Is it slightly larger same as the one used on the Clio 2 Racer?

Nice build Dave, looking good :)
Im not sure what the differnce is to look at, but have read in several places that they are different. we would of fitted one had I thought about it when i was robbing the crashed cup for bits

Lotus Elise
Still no Diff Tony, Spoke to the company today but not overly helpfull and have not had a responce from them since 10am, If they had said from the start that it would be 2 months lead time then I would of put the engine and box back in and finished the car,
All I have got from them is strung along saying it will be within 7 days every two weeks!

Anyone got the number for gripper direct as a google search only leads me in one direction:(

Give Fred@BTM a ring he was down there the other day.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
The ABS servo is slightly larger diameter than the Cup one.
I've not checked but i'm pretty sure the master cylinder on the ABS cars will be a larger bore than the Non-ABS cars. This is to ensure there is sufficient fluid flow left to re-apply the brakes in the event the ABS is activated, without the pedal hitting the floor.

I believe the Cup Racers used the larger one with the small bore cup master cylinder which will make the brakes feel sharper.

clio cup
Second test?

My BARS test was like your first ARDS:

tester: I think there are some dodgy questions in here and it's just a license for them to print money, so after you've watched the video we'll have a little chat then you can fill out the test ;)

I have ahabit of not keeping up my licence when not racing, Had left it more than two years without renewing so had to take it again,,

I think if you fail an ARDS test you should not even consider taking another, your clearly not suited to driving a car fast, My instructer even wanted me to demonstrate toe and heel this time!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
The ABS servo is slightly larger diameter than the Cup one.
I've not checked but i'm pretty sure the master cylinder on the ABS cars will be a larger bore than the Non-ABS cars. This is to ensure there is sufficient fluid flow left to re-apply the brakes in the event the ABS is activated, without the pedal hitting the floor.

I believe the Cup Racers used the larger one with the small bore cup master cylinder which will make the brakes feel sharper.

Cheers Kenny, ive not seen the one from the 172, be interesting to see how its different from the other two. The MS on the racer one is the biggest of the three ive sourced. From memoey ones 20.6 mm, ones 21.3mm and the Racer one is 22.3mm. Think Andrewclio said it was orig from a pug 406 v6.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
I cant remember what bore the master cylinder is from a road 172 Cup, sure someone will know but i'll check what I've got when I get home out of curiosity.
I thought the Racers used a small bore master cylinder but maybe not.

Clio172cup rally car
The cup racers uses a larger bore cylinder. It's 23.81mm, I've just fitted one to mine and it works perfectly only have to change 2 of the brake line fittings to fit it to a 172 cup. Can't remember if it was m10 to m12 or the other way round.

clio cup
Havnt updated this thread for a couple of weeks, however, not alot has happened, I'm still waiting for my Diff but hope for this to turn up this week, If not then I'll be canceling the order and contacting my credit card company.

I have manged to get fitted my EPAS which was relatively easy, used a controller kit from a guy in Portugal which is very handy and the effort rate can be adjusted to suit. All the brake lines are finished and ready to be blead, and interior wiring is all done apart from the horn,

I'll stick some pics up in the week, Once the diff is here its full steam ahead. so fast progress should be made.

I've decided to hold out racing till August as my holiday is looming and want to get a good shakedown with the car before its driven in anger. SO it looks like Mallory will be my first meeting. SAtill have a few bits to buy and money doesnt come easy when the wife and kids want a holiday. lol

clio cup
Mallory!! Come on Dave.

I'm running out of time for Combe Tony as the diff isnt even with me and is only 20 odd days away, cant commit to anything until its in my hands.
I think its pointless putting the engine and box back in and then do some testing as the final drive will be different making testing a waste of money. I was also planning to fit the doors and tailgate between races but will now fit them before any testing is done. Again pointless racing a car that weighs 40KG lighter than when I tested it.

I'm gutted but looking at the bigger picture.

clio cup
Keep going Tony, it gives me inspiration to carry on, lol, I even fitted the "french trophy" sunstrip so it looks like a race car,,, Not sat in the drivers seat yet and made engine noise. (still time)

clio cup
In that case, I'll put a tick next to wiring on my "things to do" list, LOL

Seriously? I'm sure I read somewhere that you needed a fully working horn.

clio cup
I read the right part but it seems I'm stupid!

I missed the part saying "Exceptionally when taking part in an event held totally

off the public highway, need not comply with DfT

Statutory Requirements regarding lighting or horn.

clio cup
Ok, Its been a few weeks since I have updated this so a small photo bomb required,

So, My Diff finally turned up, not with the ratio I originally ordered as this was the problem in the first place, The company I ordered it from wasn't exactly being truthfull with my updates and a quick call direct to Gripper revealed that the only thing holding up the order was the ratio I had ordered was not in stock and would be for some weeks due to a machining issue. Gripper kindly offered me other ratio's which they had on the shelf, this could of been sorted out 3 months ago if only the guy I ordered it from asked me the question!

In the meantime I've managed to get my fibreglass doors and tailgate on, no real problems here, Also polycarbonate windows fitted.
1761B0A1-3C8E-49D3-BEFB-8C9C85481E17-3111-00000273983F69D3_zpsf90fc243.jpg

FE847716-3B8C-4361-891D-E1162D1FCC46-3111-00000273A913F0F0_zps083554ec.jpg

DD708627-2865-4A7B-B3AA-C6F764080C60-9997-000009C06BD843A4_zps170245c8.jpg

DD708627-2865-4A7B-B3AA-C6F764080C60-9997-000009C06BD843A4_zps170245c8.jpg

Most importantly is the front screen sticker!
634E5358-1DCB-4A58-A97D-AEAFA497A5AF-9997-000009C0DBECD4AB_zps4a4dc5c0.jpg

Also got my brake ducts finished

059EEBFD-C26F-4153-AE8B-C44B2A486AB6-9997-000009C0A9145D82_zps8b12594a.jpg

Don't even think of fitting a gripper diff with crown wheel and pinion yourself if you've never stripped a Renault gearbox before, My hands now look like the inside of a JC5 including synchro's! However, the box is now back together with new bearings and seals, Will be "suck it and see" regarding ratio though.

CBCEB67D-ABA2-4A64-8992-6DFC3EFF01C1-9997-000009C05CAE4D4F_zpsc4fdc86e.jpg

As you can see the gearbox is now on the engine and almost ready to be dropped in, All that's left in the gearbox is to fit a modified 5th gear retaining bolt and washer as the mainshaft is slightly different to original.
These should be here tomorrow and engine should be in place by the weekend. Getting close now and starting to have trouble sleeping now!

Vinyl wrap has been ordered and sticker scheme yet to be decided.

Ph1 daily & ph2 race
Looking good, think I will do the French trophy, be fun mixing it up with other clios as well as some jap.

clio cup
[h=5]
[/h][h=5]I got busy this evening and the engine is in! Electric plumbed and driveshafts, wishbones brakes back on,
Its really starting to take shape now, should be rolling Saturday afternoon and oil cooler pipe work should be completed next week, Then its time to start the bugger,
Its certainly felt like a long journey, hope its over soon and can enjoy mine and others hard work.

photo116_zps9dd42532.jpg
photo115_zpsffe88091.jpg

No progress for ages and now to this!

[/h]