ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Considering a clio diesel

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Clio Dci probably a good buy. The Pug 106 is a flimsy car in comparison and the 1.5 non turbo engine is noisy and slow. The 306 is a good car to look at and drives well. it has passive rear steering same as Citroen ZX.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
yeah i think i have written off the 106
deffo between the clio and 306 although i am slightly leaning towards another clio,

little things like knowing the car a bit more, and the fact i already have a set-up for the roof rack for a clio beens lower costs in the future

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I would to with the 306 doing that amount of miles. If you go for clio try and get one over 100k as most bits by then have been replaced. A low m8leage one is expensive and will have loads of bits ready to break

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
I would to with the 306 doing that amount of miles. If you go for clio try and get one over 100k as most bits by then have been replaced. A low m8leage one is expensive and will have loads of bits ready to break

thats an interesting way to look at it, i spose by default you tend to look for lower mileage but thats a very good point,
thank you

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Mine just got better with age tbh. Obviously make sure there is lots of history and receipts but from my experience (2 dcis) they seem to go wrong between 70k and 100k

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
not too clued up on the dci range. i havent heard anything bad about them to be honest, the dci 80 has the intercooler and bigger injectors, returns better MPG (believe west renault are getting up to 80mpg in their dci rep) and then the 100 it less economical and i think has a bigger turbo.

all i know though sorry.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
heres a breakdown Neil.....

65 bhp -
No blue letters in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
No intercooler.
Turbo is a 5435 970 0000 Borg warner K series.
JB3 gearbox pretty much same as 1.6 16v.
Engine codes - K9K 704, K9K 700
OVAL PLATE CB07 (Inside of drivers door)
Standard Turbo Boost Pressure = 1 Bar (14.5psi)
Standard Fuel Pressure = 1400psi
No intercooler

80 bhp -
Blue I in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
Large Intercooler located infront of the radiator.
Injectors 15% more efficient than 65's.
Slightly different turbo to 65 (5435 970 0002 Borg warner K series).
JC5 gearbox pretty much same as 2.0 16v. From 2004 onwards JH3 and JR5 boxes were also fitted.
Engine code - K9K 702
OVAL PLATE CB08
Standard Turbo Boost Pressure = 1.2 Bar (17.4psi)

100 bhp -
Blue CI in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
Small fat intercooler (17% more efficient than 80 ic). Located infront of the radiator at the bottom.
Same injectors as 80.
Same fuel pump as 65 & 80 but runs at 1600 bar
Again, more efficient, variable geometry turbo (5439 970 0030 Borg warner K series)
Different block and head and different injection set up to 65 & 80 with the 100 having a stronger crank, stronger rods and pistons.
Inlets on the head are bigger, different cam and ex manifold.
Gearstick, reverse is down and right as opposed to up and left with the lift.
Gearbox is a JR5 120. (5 Speed box as fitted to petrol lagunas, no renault 6 speed box fits!)
Engine code - K9K 712.
OVAL PLATE CB2G
Standard Turbo Boost Pressure = 1.25 Bar (18.1psi)
Standard Fuel Pressure = 1600psi

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
heres a breakdown Neil.....

65 bhp -
No blue letters in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
No intercooler.
Turbo is a 5435 970 0000 Borg warner K series.
JB3 gearbox pretty much same as 1.6 16v.
Engine codes - K9K 704, K9K 700
OVAL PLATE CB07 (Inside of drivers door)
Standard Turbo Boost Pressure = 1 Bar (14.5psi)
No intercooler

80 bhp -
Blue I in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
Large Intercooler located infront of the radiator.
Injectors 15% more efficient than 65's.
Slightly different turbo to 65 (5435 970 0002 Borg warner K series).
JC5 gearbox pretty much same as 2.0 16v. From 2004 onwards JH3 and JR5 boxes were also fitted.
Engine code - K9K 702
OVAL PLATE CB08
Standard Turbo Boost Pressure = 1.2 Bar (17.4psi)

100 bhp -
Blue CI in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
Small fat intercooler (17% more efficient than 80 ic). Located infront of the radiator at the bottom.
Same injectors as 80.
Same fuel pump as 65 & 80 but runs at 1600 bar
Again, more efficient, variable geometry turbo (5439 970 0030 Borg warner K series)
Different block and head and different injection set up to 65 & 80 with the 100 having a stronger crank, stronger rods and pistons.
Inlets on the head are bigger, different cam and ex manifold.
Gearstick, reverse is down and right as opposed to up and left with the lift.
Gearbox is a JR5 120. (5 Speed box as fitted to petrol lagunas, no renault 6 speed box fits!)
Engine code - K9K 712.
OVAL PLATE CB2G
Standard Turbo Boost Pressure = 1.25 Bar (18.1psi)
Standard Fuel Pressure = 1600psi

You win.

What are the MPG figures as im sure that will be the deciding factor, aswell as initial purchase price

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
My dad has had the engine stripped out of my bro's 65 and the turbo and pipes were totally caked with sh!t. the only way to really find this out is to strip them down! Just make sure it hasnt been driven like a granny all its life - this will cause the build up. I aim to give at least 2 full rev range blasts each drive (one the engine oil temp is up obv)... just to keep it as clear as possible! I prefer my 100 over the 65 mind...

The only downside I've encountered with my 100 is trying to source 2nd hand/recon CV joints... its got the laguna jc5 box (the only clio to have this box) and because there aren't many 100's around, trying to course these parts is like rocking horse poop. Oh and the laguna shafts dont fit, and I refuse to pay £190+VAT from renault for a new one!

EDIT: just seen Ali's post... Mine doesn't have any dCi badges, just 16v ones :rasp:
Im doing 63/4mpg (mainly motorway btw)

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
as sash said, these engines get coked up, i use the mrs 65 once a week, it will get a good thrashing in second gear on the limiter for a few seconds. doesnt smoke one bit and its done 130k. when they plod around town all day thats when they become smokey, egr vlaves get blocked etc.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Thank you again guys for the info. Super helpful. So am i alot better off looking into 80's and 100's?

If i hadn't asked for info i would be looking for totally the wrong thing (a low miler thats been driven conservatively... Lol)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Thank you again guys for the info. Super helpful. So am i alot better off looking into 80's and 100's?

If i hadn't asked for info i would be looking for totally the wrong thing (a low miler thats been driven conservatively... Lol)

i wouldnt bother with the 65, slow as s**t and ive heard they arent great for motorway use either.

www.cliodci.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54

this might be of some help, havent read it myself as the site appears to be down at the moment.

100 is tax band c with slightly less MPG
80 is tax band b with slightly higher mpg and as you will be doing long journeys in it you should be seeing some impressive figures.

see below

Been away to for the long weekend and I am just gobsmacked at the DCI economy - even after a year of ownership!

500+ miles to about 2/3rds of a tank and after 200+ miles this was my average MPG!

P1000468.jpg

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
i wouldnt bother with the 65, slow as s**t and ive heard they arent great for motorway use either.

this might be of some help, havent read it myself as the site appears to be down at the moment.

80 is tax band b with slightly higher mpg and as you will be doing long journeys in it you should be seeing some impressive figures.

see below

the tax on my 100 is £30... one of the 3 versions is £35 iirc.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

i won't be doing any motorway miles sadly, and i hope this super-commute won't be for too long but it would be real handy to have a very economical car (even if it has got little character...lol)

will start focusing more on 80's then

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
No mention of service history...?
Fairly tidy, no A/C - if that bothers you, that is - Steering wheel is a bit minging...

Worth a look I spose, just get someone to stand behind the car on tick over to make sure it doesn't smoke, also when you give it a little rev.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Id ignore this one... http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/6?logcode=p its been serviced at s**t-fit!
Ive noticed not many cars on AT list service history, although saying that the last few you've listed do mention it but no details on cambelt etc...

if i can afford to be picky i really don't want black to be honest...
out of all of those this one stand out to me - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../radius/1500/postcode/ba44pd/page/8?logcode=p

sounds like someone who knows about the car, just a shame about the marks on it.

another thing that really really annoys me about autotrader is people just autofill the text using basically a brochure spec...ffs

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
that silver one looks decent and as said it looks like he knows his stuff, egr has been replaced and belts done. keep in mind billabong models have a horrible interior, well actually its not to bad still sports seats just a weird colour.

80s are £20 to tax now iirc

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
that silver one looks decent and as said it looks like he knows his stuff, egr has been replaced and belts done. keep in mind billabong models have a horrible interior, well actually its not to bad still sports seats just a weird colour.
80s are £20 to tax now iirc

i was going to argue with your statement of a horrible interior as i own a phase 1 172, but i noticed you do also.... can't be worse than the god awful blue dash...lol
still need to sell the passat first however

Ph1 172
Im kind of in the same boat at the minute and considering my options

i did think of the clio and maybe a 306 like you but have you considered a VW lupo diesel?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my sister has a lupo, dont know if the diesels are better but hers is a piece of s**t, im pulling the head off it this week to rebuild the top end as its drinking oil.

interior is terribly made, gearbox is terrible, brakes are crap, handles rubbish. i dont like them!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
so i still haven't got one... but that is because the passat hasn't sold yet
HOWEVER i do seem to have someone very interested so i maybe able to go proper shopping soon,

it has got me thinking though, in the past week myself and the gf have confirmed a new place, this will mean my commute is halved. but better still the road i will be commuting on is epic, i was wondering if the diesel was still the best thing,
although i imagine with some sticky tyres and some good suspension it will be just as good as anything else.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
they have the sports suspension package in Dynamique trim on the diesel as standard and handle very well, or at least a lot better than 1.2 16v's etc do, ive said it before on here i think, the DCi Dynamiques handle closer to a 172 than they do a 1.2 16v! nice heavy steering etc.

my mapped 100 @ 130hp 190lb/ft with sportlines and koni dampers with T1-R's all round was seriously quick at covering ground!