ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Considering a clio diesel

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
and the modding bug sets in...

are you not familiar with my 172??? lol
i always planned to haggle the hell out of the owner and use the remains of the passat money to pay for wheels and suspension as the commute i will be on is pretty epic. however he didn't knock much off...

i don't want to play with this too much, its meant to be low cost at the end of the day, i just want it to handle a little better, i have my 172 for being really silly

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
are you not familiar with my 172??? lol
i always planned to haggle the hell out of the owner and use the remains of the passat money to pay for wheels and suspension as the commute i will be on is pretty epic. however he didn't knock much off...

i don't want to play with this too much, its meant to be low cost at the end of the day, i just want it to handle a little better, i have my 172 for being really silly
OEM+ is where it's at.

DCi 100
Anything you can with any other clio really!

If your looking at engine stuff though just remap and done. No point in making it unreliable.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I would personally go for:

Service
Thorough detail
Remap
Coilovers/lowering springs
Spacers
Refurb alloys in different colour/different wheels
Colour code
Silvatec's

Optional:
Sport xenon's
172 rear
Sport interior

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
keep it standardish and just enjoy the cheap motoring. best bit of cash i spent on mine was a decent service, done it myself but changed oil, filter, gearbox oil, coolant, brake fluid, cabin filter, air filter. i found with a panel filter (think it was a K&N i had) it spooled that wee bit quicker and lower in the revs, that made a nice difference at the same time i fitted the 80 cooler (obviously i had a 65, never got round to mapping it though)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
I would personally go for:
Service
Thorough detail
Remap
Coilovers/lowering springs
Spacers
Refurb alloys in different colour/different wheels
Colour code
Silvatec's

Optional:
Sport xenon's
172 rear
Sport interior

you can keep the Sport xenon's, 172 rear and Sport interior, however i do fancy a new steering wheel as this has the general wear and melting on it....
I have gone through the documents and service book tonight and last night and it will shortly need a service so will probably get that done over the next 2 weeks.... only a minor one as its been well looked after, the timing belts been done twice, the accessory belt once and the water pump once.

otherwise i think you hit the nail on the head with the mods, service and a super clean first being priorities, always keeping my eyes open for bargains though

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
awesome, its surprizing how many people overlook cambelts! id look into fitting something like a mk3 steeringwheel doesnt have to be a RS one just the normal dynamique ones, i never understood the issue with mk2 wheels (thats why i had my ph1 one retrimmed) until i bought my mk3 and now im having to change the 172 wheel for something smaller as its ruining the drive for me!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
awesome, its surprizing how many people overlook cambelts! id look into fitting something like a mk3 steeringwheel doesnt have to be a RS one just the normal dynamique ones, i never understood the issue with mk2 wheels (thats why i had my ph1 one retrimmed) until i bought my mk3 and now im having to change the 172 wheel for something smaller as its ruining the drive for me!

do many mk3 wheels come up?
sash offered me some 40mm apex springs but i did a search and i see your (just) springs lowered DCi wasn't great, i think i will hold out for some coilovers to come up....

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
im not sure to be honest never really looked into it, id imagine they will pop up on ebay not sure on whats involved to retro fit though, i know they use the 197 ones on the 172/182's

yeah to be honest especially if its a runabout and you want a bit of comfort, infact not so much comfort just a bit of bodycontrol, the -60's were pretty bouncy and harsh, even the eibachs on standard dampers felt like a bit of a miss match on my 100

when i bought the apex you couldnt get vmaxx coils and the other cheaper ones at the time so my cheapest option was really FKs at £450+

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yeah nothing wrong with FK's i had Silverline X's on my 1.2 i just mean at the time i wanted cheap lows and couldnt get cheap coilovers like Vmaxx, but now their is no reason not to go for cheap coils unless your on a very low budget.

i was torn between Vmaxx or eibachs that i already had and a set of dampers, so i went with that and got some Koni STR-T dampers (the orange ones) - AVOID THEM!!!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I know it's wrong but if your budget is tight the raceland coilovers are cheap as chips and aren't that bad apparently, think they go for 170 ish new. That's of the bolt spacing on the dci is the same as the non sport petrols.

I will be getting a set next month money dependant.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
iirc in west renaults thread it was a few screws and a little bit of the orange plug for the airbag need filing off.

I'm sure that the mk3 wheel struggles to auto correct( probably the wrong phrase) itself on a mk2 as it's a tighter fit.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
not sure on raceland coilovers but i had vmaxx on the passat and they were fine for what i used that for,
have FK's on the 172, have we covered that the bolt pattern will be different?... otherwise i would switch them straight over and save for some KW's on the 172...

as for the steering wheel, its not vital

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
dci will be 58mm bolt spacing. go the full hog and fit 172 bottom arms, hubs, ARB, and brakes :D

that way your getting awesome big brakes, the FK's and getting rid of the issue with the rubbish drop links on non RS cars!

Megane dci 130
Mines running just standard shocks with 172 springs all round. Handles awsome with some sticky rubber. Cost me all of nothing and puts a smile on my face in the corners still!

Obviously how far you go is how deep your pockets are, mine wernt very deep!

This is how it sits.

DSCN0969.jpg

I had a 406 Hdi and that was faultless.
Ok so it's like driving a silent fart where everything is all quiet and fluffy ;)
The ride is cushioned, the pedals are light, the spec is good, the steering is light, they are pretty economical.
Mine only needed glow plugs and glow plug relay in 4 years and never once let me down.
If they are good enough for taxi drivers going to the moon and back then they are good enough for most ;)
I actually miss the cosetting ride and comfort everytime I drive my lowered Clio with 17s - although the Clio is slightly faster, better handling and more fun ;)

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
dci will be 58mm bolt spacing. go the full hog and fit 172 bottom arms, hubs, ARB, and brakes :D

that way your getting awesome big brakes, the FK's and getting rid of the issue with the rubbish drop links on non RS cars!

I have all those ;)

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Iv got the subframe, ARB, shocks, springs, bottom arms, hubs.

Make me and offer :)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Iv got the subframe, ARB, shocks, springs, bottom arms, hubs.
Make me and offer :)

pm me if you are serious about selling it (with a price) and i will tell you my thoughts...lol

Any update on how this is going yet?
I may soon be changing Jobs and have to travel a lot more, so might be looking into 1 myself now.

have a look at this thread mate (gives you a little bit of an update)
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...totally-OE-DCi-content)&p=7867521#post7867521

however i haven't actually driven it properly yet, after getting it home 2 weeks ago i went on holiday the next day. It got a good clean up this weekend ready for its dive straight into the big commute this week, it has been averaging 69MPG on the little pottering trips over the weekend though....

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1323.jpg

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Love that colour on clios ph-reebone, looks a nice tidy example hope you enjoy it.

thank you.
now it may just be me, but does anyone else find the seats uncomfortable?

i am currently seeing a chiropractor for back problems after wiplash, as said it could just be me as i haven't been in a car really for over 2 weeks.... just a thought

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
The seats in my Old dynamique had lumbar support - does yours?

Mine might be going up for sale soon :)