ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio v6 to buy or not to buy??? your thoughts please

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I honestly don't care one way or the other. You're either telling the truth, and seem to have some sort of chip on your shoulder that someone likes a car, for very valid reasons, that you do not. OR: you're just spouting crap.

I dont care what reasons others have for liking a car, was just giving my own opinion not intending to give anyone elses, its a discussion forum so I was just entering the discussion to say that although I dont like them as standard I do actually think they have a lot to offer in terms of a platform to start with for modifying.

Either way I wouldn't be in the slightest bit interested in reading anything you have to write in a magazine for this fact alone.
Thats fine, if you only like standard cars then just buy EVO magazine, its great and is full of them :)

Evo 5 RS
I dont care what reasons others have for liking a car, was just giving my own opinion not intending to give anyone elses, its a discussion forum so I was just entering the discussion to say that although I dont like them as standard I do actually think they have a lot to offer in terms of a platform to start with for modifying.

You reckon? They're a nightmare to modify. You'd be better of starting from scratch

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You reckon? They're a nightmare to modify. You'd be better of starting from scratch

I disagree, at least you already have a decent rear end suspension setup in place, and gearlinkage etc.

Once you take the engine and box out and modify it out of the car I dont think it would be a big issue to do, but it all depends on how big a project you are prepared to take on or not, one mans nightmare is just a couple of months enjoyable fab work for someone else.

Evo 5 RS
Well true you'd need to either know someone or be cad handy, but theres big problems with heat dispatch I think as well - nothing is readily available n' so on

You've obviously got your head in the right place, why don't you buy one and try it ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Well true you'd need to either know someone or be cad handy, but theres big problems with heat dispatch I think as well - nothing is readily available n' so on

You've obviously got your head in the right place, why don't you buy one and try it ;)

I dont currently have the inclination really (or more to the point spare funds or time to do so as I am already involved in a few other projects like my mk mk1 clio and probably going to compound charge the nova next year), but I might one day, especially as they are available in yellow which saves money on a paintjob :) (im rubbish at painting/bodywork)

If one came up cheap with a blown engine though, I'd certainly consider it as that then makes much better financial sense than buying a working one.

An orange one
Agree :) buy a cheap mk1 and get it done, I'm sure the end result will be interesting to see,

Just don't do it to a nice mint low miler one or a rare colour...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Agree :) buy a cheap mk1 and get it done, I'm sure the end result will be interesting to see,

Just don't do it to a nice mint low miler one or a rare colour...

If I did it, it would be to a black or yellow one, as thats the only ones that me and my mrs both like the colour of.
I prefer the phase 1 looks wise, and she prefers the phase 2 though.

Wouldnt start with a low miler or even a working one, would be money wasted if the first thing I would be doing is removing the engine to rebuild it anyway!

Not really something on my radar at the moment though, as TBH an elise or a VX220 makes more sense as a trackday car than a hatch, plus I already have a 500bhp mid engined hatch anyway at the moment.

Certainly one of those "maybe one day" ideas though, so will see if the right one comes up at the right money to tempt me into it!

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I nearly bought a yellow Phase 2 2 weeks ago-

Mr Nick trott seriously let me down- :(
S

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
i still cant believe he sold it already

/half arsed vee owner that one lol

PI$$ed me off jeremy rung me to see if I wanted it- I said yes & never heard a thing again- worrying thats the brand manager for renault with poor communication skills

S

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
PI$$ed me off jeremy rung me to see if I wanted it- I said yes & never heard a thing again- worrying thats the brand manager for renault with poor communication skills

S

He's not a brand manager he's the director of press and PR. He has people to communicate for him - busy man!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cant get a yellow phase 1 ;)

3559686015_d2119a8de9.jpg

Still look good though :)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
In the past this thread would of got my hackles up...However, i've now learned to ignore any and all opinion from Cliosport.

The V6 is car that gets under your skin first and foremost; i've had mine since 2007 and have no intention of selling.

The V6 doesn't do anything particularly well for the money.

Handling - for 12k a Lotus Elise would of been a better buy.

Performance - for 12k an M3 would of been a better buy.

Interior - for 12k just about anything would be a better buy.

So why do people buy and love the V6... www.v6clio.net Pop over here and we'll tell you.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Great post Ali. I really do think the Frp and the Vee have so much in common.

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Ive driven both phase 1 and phase 2 as I was seriously considering buying one, but was really dissapointed with them so have never owned either and TBH I doubt I ever will unless its as a project to go forced induction with, The straightline performance really was nothing exciting at all in either case.

They really do need somewhere around the 500bhp mark up them IMHO to be interesting to me.

That really is quite a funny statement IMHO. Don't get me wrong, forced induction IS the way if your not satisfied with the stock feel of the car in a straight line but a figure as random as 500??? YOU WOULD s**t YOUR PANTS IN THE WET/DAMP MR BIG b****cks!! No question! I've looked through the tax disk on a straight road before so 500bhp really isn't needed to get you heart fluttering. Infact, if someone dug out MikeT's old 0-60 figures etc etc at half throttle with wheelspin I'm sure you would realise 400 is quite enough. lol

The fact that very few people have ever played with them and the few that have can't fault them speaks wonders. Buy a ph1, bang some Kw's on it, a set of manifolds and assosiating back box, ph2 inlet manifold and gearbox and you will have a very decent track car on your hands.

Listerine & Poledo
140hp in an MX-5 can be dangerous enough.
hell, 170hp in a front drive clio is too much for enough people.

Finally, hell, 150 in a FIAT can have clownshoes barrel-rolling through fields

Vee 6
I see it's kicked off again. You either like it or you don't.

I started with a phase 1 172 and now own both. It's not a practical car, It's not a fast car by todays standard and eats up cash when it go's wrong.

But every time i drive it out it puts the biggest cheeser on my face............ So job done.

It's not always about the numbers lads.

An orange one
Exactly! It's all about the smile factor,

You also have to remember that 255bhp from a hatchback in 2003 was huge power, the s3 of the day only had 225 and it's taken Renault 8 years to make a more powerful car (265 trophy)

It's like saying in 10 years time that the Audi rs3 or focus RS is underpowered,

D

DFB

I love mine to death.

Speed wise, it's prob a little faster than my old Cooper S (supercharged) yet feels faster as it is so raw. Also, I can put the Vee in 5th gear at 10mph and it will still poodle away with absolutely no judder at all. The torque is amazing.
When you do give it some welly, it pulls hard and fast in any gear. It will safely go beyond 60 in second gear if you need it to and it will carry on to 140mph with ease. Performance is just fine.

What adds to the experience is having the engine in the car with you, not behind you in like, say an MR2. The sound is all around you and you also get a kind of cabin pressure in your ears. It's ace and adds so much to the package. Hearing all the clinks and clunks of the gearbox below and to the side of you is another bonus and another reminder of what a special car you are driving.

The shape of the car is like no other and looks aaaaaamazing from so many different angles and elevations, nothing looks as good for the money. (admits to be a little biased)

Don't worry too much about running costs either (insurance aside), it has a Laguna engine which is basic enough and the car is as solid a car as anything else Renault have built. It's a mechanical beast. Mine is a daily driver and I've never had a murmour from it. In fact, I honestly believe that to be good for it.

I'm not going to wax lyrical about it looks, instead I'll post a few of the pics I have taken of it on my phone recently.

If you do take the plunge, good luck, enjoy and I promise you, you won't regret it.

Brentwood-20110925-00175.jpg

Brentwood-20110925-00172.jpg

RenEye.jpg

One a lovely guy on here took for me

web.jpg

VeeAss.jpg

An orange one
Oh and I'm with Brett in saying that even with only 255bhp, the Vee can snap on you quicker than you can say "0h 5hit" even when accelerating hard in a straight line!!

Vee 6
Exactly! It's all about the smile factor,

You also have to remember that 255bhp from a hatchback in 2003 was huge power, the s3 of the day only had 225 and it's taken Renault 8 years to make a more powerful car (265 trophy)

It's like saying in 10 years time that the Audi rs3 or focus RS is underpowered,

No they won't....... Because nobody will have the balls to release these mad / concept cars again ( Renault over the years had the balls to make a few ).

We'll all be talking about high output electric battery cells...... Enjoy them while you can..........

White clique
All the V6 hate is jealousy. They are faster than a 172/182, are more rare and look special. The same people who hate the V6 also hated the 197 when that came out, its all just bitterness. There is no good reason to dislike a V6.

D

DFB

That sounds beautiful.

Like a crack whore being made to cum again and again and again...

Why does it have to be love or hate? Why can't people like and dislike different aspects of the same car?

Love it or hate it is a bellend thing to say. I don't especially like the looks, but as a petrol head I appreciate them. Does that make me a hater? Probably. Same story with anything PS3 related. Fanboyism is probably the single most irrational and retarded internet trend.

Lionel Richie
So what is this one running? It can't be far off 500 and looks to do straight lines fine...

"about" 380-400 berries there, with a ££££ traction control system onboard, £80K that car cost

anyone who says a V6 is naff is full of s**t, if you driven one on a test drive your opinion is worthless! It takes months to really understand wha-gwan

Last edited by a moderator: