ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio v6 to buy or not to buy??? your thoughts please

MCS R56
All the V6 hate is jealousy. They are faster than a 172/182, are more rare and look special. The same people who hate the V6 also hated the 197 when that came out, its all just bitterness. There is no good reason to dislike a V6.

Jealousy - what complete BS. Yes, they are faster than the 172/182's but looks are based on someone's opinion, you imbecile! Laughable comment.

LY V6 & Fiesta ST
To the op, you'll just know whether you want it or not.
If i had to lose one of my cars today, the 200 would be gone in a heartbeat.

PH1 V6
Do it. Its certainly not the quickest car, nor the best handling.... but it is exciting to drive and puts a smile on not only yours but everyone elses face too!

There is just nothing else like it on the road, its why they retain their value.

The attention it gets is great, everyone seems to take an interest. A real future classic, if not one already!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That really is quite a funny statement IMHO. Don't get me wrong, forced induction IS the way if your not satisfied with the stock feel of the car in a straight line but a figure as random as 500??? YOU WOULD s**t YOUR PANTS IN THE WET/DAMP MR BIG b****cks!! No question!

No I would simply treat it with respect in the wet like I did when driving my nova with MORE than 500bhp and an all up weight of 1060kg and the same mid engined layout!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S8O-Eoaprw

Some of the people in this thread have clearly never driven a quick car if they think its got to be so terrifying, just cause a car is capable of making 500bhp doesnt mean that you have to use it even if driving in the wet or snow etc, its just nice to have the choice to use it when you want to.

I've looked through the tax disk on a straight road before so 500bhp really isn't needed to get you heart fluttering. Infact, if someone dug out MikeT's old 0-60 figures etc etc at half throttle with wheelspin I'm sure you would realise 400 is quite enough. lol

Depends what you are used to, compared to my nova for example a car with only 400bhp and weighing 300kg more is going to feel quite slow for example, but that said it would certianly be a massive step in the right direction compared to the standard power output that just doesnt do the chassis justice IMHO

The fact that very few people have ever played with them and the few that have can't fault them speaks wonders. Buy a ph1, bang some Kw's on it, a set of manifolds and assosiating back box, ph2 inlet manifold and gearbox and you will have a very decent track car on your hands.

Depends how you like to drive, I like rwd cars to have enough power to make them loose, so a set of 888s and only 255bhp in a 1400kg car isnt what I personally like, but we arent all the same obviously.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Great post Ali. I really do think the Frp and the Vee have so much in common.

Like what?
One is a completely off the wall mid engined car, the other is a set of slightly wider arches, slightly hotter cams, a different inlet manifold and a lick of blue paint?
Really cant see much similarity at all TBH!
RS200 is the only thing from the ford stable that seems of the same mindset.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
No I would simply treat it with respect in the wet like I did when driving my nova with MORE than 500bhp and an all up weight of 1060kg and the same mid engined layout!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S8O-Eoaprw

Some of the people in this thread have clearly never driven a quick car if they think its got to be so terrifying, just cause a car is capable of making 500bhp doesnt mean that you have to use it even if driving in the wet or snow etc, its just nice to have the choice to use it when you want to.

Depends what you are used to, compared to my nova for example a car with only 400bhp and weighing 300kg more is going to feel quite slow for example, but that said it would certianly be a massive step in the right direction compared to the standard power output that just doesnt do the chassis justice IMHO

Depends how you like to drive, I like rwd cars to have enough power to make them loose, so a set of 888s and only 255bhp in a 1400kg car isnt what I personally like, but we arent all the same obviously.

Listen.

No one really cares about your Nova; your point was made some 5 pages ago.

Powerful motor, small car - Well done you've engineered something that is utterly useless on the road and is nothing more than a demonstration of your ability as a mechanic. High five.

In the real world where you don't have to wear ear defenders and worry about decapitation by flywheel, 500bhp in a road car of this nature, with reliability, drivability and servicing via your local spanner monkey is hardly likely.

The V6; i agree could do with more power, not denying that at all, but not anywhere near in the region your talking about. 300bhp would be sufficient, and is achievable, after spending about 10k+

I'll just enjoy mine as it is. Ta.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Listen.

No one really cares about your Nova; your point was made some 5 pages ago.

Clearly it wasnt if people are saying a 500bhp V6 clio would be undriveble, it absolutely wouldnt if done correctly, Ive driven LOTS of 500bhp RWD cars, and its not a problem at all if you treat them with a bit of respect, thats the thing people dont seem to be getting, rwd cars make awesome road cars at that sort of power level!

Powerful motor, small car - Well done you've engineered something that is utterly useless on the road and is nothing more than a demonstration of your ability as a mechanic. High five.
Its not utterly useless on the road though, its fantastic fun!

In the real world where you don't have to wear ear defenders and worry about decapitation by flywheel, 500bhp in a road car of this nature, with reliability, drivability and servicing via your local spanner monkey is hardly likely.
Well I service myself obviously so not an issue, and I dont need ear defenders as there is double glazed perspex between me and the engine, its not actually any noisier than when I have had similar engines in the front of cars in fact.

The V6; i agree could do with more power, not denying that at all, but not anywhere near in the region your talking about. 300bhp would be sufficient, and is achievable, after spending about 10k+
You really dont need to be spending that sort of money if you are capable of doing the work yourself, all these numbers people keep coming up with are just nuts. And none of you seem to be considering the option of an engine transplant either, there are loads of good engines and boxes that would fit relatively easily into that space, it doesnt have to be the original engine still to make great use of the fantastic platform renault have created. Obviously you wouldnt want to take a mint one and change the engine, but a cat c one or one with a blown engine or something would make a great project!

I'll just enjoy mine as it is. Ta.
Sounds good, they're great quirky little cars that are immensely cool, so im sure you will.
I havent said anything to slate the car itself at all, I really like them I just think they need a lot more power before I would want to have one personally thats all.

Not sure why so many people are getting their Y-fronts in a twist with this Chip fellow. He hasn't slated the V6 at all. Far from it in fact. He's stated that he feels it could do with 500hp. Considering his apparent background with cars, it's hardly surprising. Just because he would personally like to tune up a bonkers V6, doesn't mean everyone has to agree. He's not forcing his opinion down any throats, he's just just discussing his viewpoint. Petrol heads unite and all that. A lot of this just comes across as "how dares you tunes a mighty V6!!"

/PS3

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not sure why so many people are getting their Y-fronts in a twist with this Chip fellow. He hasn't slated the V6 at all. Far from it in fact. He's stated that he feels it could do with 500hp. Considering his apparent background with cars, it's hardly surprising. Just because he would personally like to tune up a bonkers V6, doesn't mean everyone has to agree. He's not forcing his opinion down any throats, he's just just discussing his viewpoint. Petrol heads unite and all that. A lot of this just comes across as "how dares you tunes a mighty V6!!"

/PS3

Exactly that!
I'm complimenting the chassis by saying how much I feel it would cope with double the power!

Its a bit strange the way people seem so defensive that it apparently shouldnt be tuned :S

I feel exactly the same way about the FWD clios, the chassis is way better than the standard power output, the FWD ones need about 250-300bhp to really work well IMHO, and the RWD ones (which are best part of half as heavy again and have a lot better weight distribution etc) need about half as much again to really get the most from them.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

/PS3

Exactly that!

I'm complimenting the chassis by saying how much I feel it would cope with double the power!

Its a bit strange the way people seem so defensive that it apparently shouldnt be tuned :S

I feel exactly the same way about the FWD clios, the chassis is way better than the standard power output, the FWD ones need about 250-300bhp to really work well IMHO, and the RWD ones (which are best part of half as heavy again and have a lot better weight distribution etc) need about half as much again to really get the most from them.

I was out recently in a 500bhp VX220 that only weighs 875kg for example, if that manages not to kill its occupants the moment they set foot in the garage to get in it then surely a 1400kg clio with the same power is a viable option.

clio 182
i owned a v6 clio for two year and miss that car,look at my pics on facebook all the time it had a private plate v66 clo anyone own this????

i bought the car coz i fell in love with them and never had so much fun in a car and ive driven some nice cars
its a proper driving car rear wheel drive sounds awesome and has the stance to match

lets not forget jeremy clarkson saying if he had a top ten car garage not based on price he would have a v6 in it!!!

has soon has my house is finished ill be buying a black phase 2 and be stored in my garage because years down the line these will go up in value

I bet if the V6 had been a boosted from the factory with some proper internals, at least 50% of owners (certainly younguns) would have had theirs tuned up to way over 400hp and would be on here going on about how awesome it is.

On another point, I do smile when people say "this power or that power will kill you". It's not KITT. You have to drive it. The throttle is a tap, not a switch. In the wet, my car will spin up in 4th if I drive like a helmet. So I don't drive like a helmet.

clio 182
tune it to 500bhp??? is that even possible???

mine was standard and was a handful at times specially in the wet,arse end everywere!!!

could that kind of power even be put planted down????

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I bet if the V6 had been a boosted from the factory with some proper internals, at least 50% of owners (certainly younguns) would have had theirs tuned up to way over 400hp and would be on here going on about how awesome it is.
Absolutely.
Its easy to see from the attitude of V6 owners that its unlikely many FI ones will ever exist, which is a real shame I reckon.
I am toatlly aware of the need on a cherished example of maintaining originality to keep it as a sound investment, I dont think for a minute that it would be good for the value of the car to mess about turbo'ing it, but there are ones at the cheap end of the market (guy on the ford forum has just bought a perfectly useable repaired cat c phase 1 for 4k!) that are never going to be in a collection anyway which could be modified.

On another point, I do smile when people say "this power or that power will kill you". It's not KITT. You have to drive it. The throttle is a tap, not a switch. In the wet, my car will spin up in 4th if I drive like a helmet. So I don't drive like a helmet.
LOL
It does depend a bit on the functionality of the ECU and how its mapped.
My nova on autronic with throttle angle related boost control was completely driveable, but my sierra on much cruder management can be a real handful as even at 25% throttle it will still hit full boost, Ive left it like that just cause its part of the character of the car though and I realise its not as quick as it would be with more useable power but I just enjoy it anyway its a road car not a trackday car so ultimate pace isnt the b-all and end-all.
Horses for courses at the end of the day :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
tune it to 500bhp??? is that even possible???

Its certainly possible to fit a 500bhp engine, wether its economically viable to tune the V6 rather than replace it with something else though I couldnt tell you as I havent tried, I would be surprised if you cant get that power from one though, there isnt anything fundamentally wrong with the renault V6 particuarly to stop it being tunable.
Its only the same thing that nobel did with the ford mondeo v6 after all, and people manage to get some good numbers out of those.

mine was standard and was a handful at times specially in the wet,arse end everywere!!!

could that kind of power even be put planted down????

If you mean in the wet coming out of a bend could you plant the throttle in the carpe and expect the rear tyres not to light up then of course not, but if you use the power to match the condition then yes of couse.

Clio v6
i owned a v6 clio for two year and miss that car,look at my pics on facebook all the time it had a private plate v66 clo anyone own this????

Yes #408 has been put back together and now lives in Northern Ireland.
Was on Ebay May 2011 Accident damage but HPI clear
parts required to complete repair are drivers side wing, drivers side alloy and tyre and repair to front bumper

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
f**k me, enough with the Nova.

Lol @ the nova hating, just using it as an example of a car I have currently that disproves all this nonsense about if anyone ever dares to put an extra horsepower in a v6 clio it will instantly repay them by selling their children into slavery and setting fire to their gran.

Lionel Richie
^that's me fucked then!

Its pointless, you have all that power and you can only manage a 1min lap of Mallory?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
^that's me f**ked then!

Its pointless, you have all that power and you can only manage a 1min lap of Mallory?

Lol, that lap was on some worn out wets on the back as I had a blow out on the drys earler in the day mate. Agreed though on the laptimes I can do quicker than that in a standard williams (although having nowhere near as much fun!) but I was just demonstrating that just cause a car has a lot of power doesnt mean it will kill you the moment you drive it.
Also if you watch it around gerrards you will see what I mean further up in this thread where I mentioned about the bump steer on the old setup before I altered the suspension geometry totally to eliminate it, which again is why its such a good example of how a v6 which handles far better than my car did at that point in time would be perfectly useable.

Wasnt putting it forward as an example of how to do the fastest lap possible, merely to show that lots of power in a mid engined car is good fun.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
i dunno R500's still scare me!

R500 is the same power to weight ratio as a 750bhp or so V6 Clio would be.

And anyway, although it might scare you, I bet it does so in a good way not a bad way!

Ive driven a few 300-400bhp westfield turbos and they are awesome, and Ive also been out passenger in a 500bhp one at Snetterton and that was insanely fast.

Its weird seeing peoples views in this thread as so different based on different experience, to me a 500bhp V6 clio would make perfect sense as a "moderately fast" car compared to some of the other stuff Im used to going in, and obviously the same for yourself if you have been out in the likes of R500s etc, where as to some people in this thread it would be some totally mental thing with power they had never experienced before.

All just about folk's having different backgrounds and different uses for cars.

God knows what the people in this thread would think of some of the time attack evos and scoobys etc with 800bhp and 300kg lifhter than a V6 clio, thats literally double the power to weight ratio that a 500bhp V6 would be!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Ok, I’ll concede, if you have the technical ability than anything is possible.

At the end of the day modifying is a mugs game when the gains are not tangible. We all recognise this, hence why very little people even bother trying to tune the V6.

If the car was originally Turbo Charged then yes, maybe the owners would of considered tweaking them. But that is not the case, nor will it ever be. Case closed?!

You definition of fun is at the opposite end of the spectrum to mine, but i equally applaud your efforts on the Nova.

The V6 as a car has never scared me, i've done countless trackdays and been round the ring BTG in 8:51, the car could easily take more power; but my interest in doing so is absolutely nil. My daily driver is quicker, faster in oem trim than the V6.

If you want a faster car, buy a fast car.

Jew, Chapter 1 Verse 1.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ok, I’ll concede, if you have the technical ability than anything is possible.

At the end of the day modifying is a mugs game when the gains are not tangible. We all recognise this, hence why very little people even bother trying to tune the V6.

If the car was originally Turbo Charged then yes, maybe the owners would of considered tweaking them. But that is not the case, nor will it ever be the case. Case closed?!

You definition of fun is at the opposite end of the spectrum to mine, but i equally applaud your efforts on the Nova.

As an investment I agree totally, modifying is totally a mugs game, but some people ENJOY doing it so dont need it to be financially viable.
If you go snowboaridng for a week its a poor investment in terms of anything other than enjoying it, same for going to the cinema, same for modifying cars, if you enjoy it then do it, but dont expect to see your money back :)

The V6 as a car has never scared me, i've done countless trackdays and been round the ring BTG in 8:51, the car could easily take more power; but my interest in doing so is absolutely nil. My daily driver is quicker, faster in oem trim than the V6.

Well at least we all seem to agree that the car could indeed easily take more power, and we just differ on if getting it to have more power would be a fun challenge or a waste of money :)

If you want a faster car, buy a fast car.
But what if you want a faster car but really like the looks and idea of the V6 clio, you cant just buy one then, you have to build one.
Same as all the peolpe fitting throttle bodies and cams to a 172 or turbo'ing one, none of them are going to see their money back, its a rubbish investment, and especially so if they pay someone else to do the labour, but they end up at the end of it with what THEY wanted and didnt already exist for them to just go and buy.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I look forward to seeing your pals build thread for the Ph1.

Tell him to sign up on v6clio.net.

clio 182
Yes #408 has been put back together and now lives in Northern Ireland.
Was on Ebay May 2011 Accident damage but HPI clear
parts required to complete repair are drivers side wing, drivers side alloy and tyre and repair to front bumper

so sum idiot smashed it up lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I look forward to seeing your pals build thread for the Ph1.

Tell him to sign up on v6clio.net.

Not my pal, in fact TBH he seems a bit of a knob jockey TBH, and doubt he has any intention of bulding a project from it, I was just giving an example of the sort of base car that I think would make sense for a V6 project, just in case people thought I was talking about what I would like to see done to a mint 30K miler in pristine condition, which isnt what Im saying at all.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I really don't know why you're drawing this out Chip-Mk1. No one is stopping you modifying a V6. I think the only negative comments you've received here is that it will cost a fortune if you can even manage it. If you're happy to spend your own time on it then fair enough, but it's not really free is it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Am not drawing out anything other than I think its a good car to modify, Im not saying anyone else has to do so, merely thats what I would do if I had one, and that I think people saying it would be totally undrivable lack experience of similar cars to gauge that from.

Apologies if it came across different to that when you read it Jeff, wasnt my intention.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Am not drawing out anything other than I think its a good car to modify, Im not saying anyone else has to do so, merely thats what I would do if I had one, and that I think people saying it would be totally undrivable lack experience of similar cars to gauge that from.

Apologies if it came across different to that when you read it Jeff, wasnt my intention.

No worries, maybe you're just more mental than everyone on here. I've never driven a V6 but if the media is anything to go by then I understand they're quite snappy at the limit (understandable for a short wheel base, midengine, RWD car). So I imagine that would be highlighted with double the power. As you say, you don't have to use ALL the extra power all the time, but surely it's a waste of power if you can't utilise it unless you're on a dry and straight road (much like your Nova I imagine).

But I guess this is why I have a 172 and not a 500hp V6..

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No worries, maybe you're just more mental than everyone on here. I've never driven a V6 but if the media is anything to go by then I understand they're quite snappy at the limit (understandable for a short wheel base, midengine, RWD car). So I imagine that would be highlighted with double the power. As you say, you don't have to use ALL the extra power all the time, but surely it's a waste of power if you can't utilise it unless you're on a dry and straight road (much like your Nova I imagine).

But I guess this is why I have a 172 and not a 500hp V6..

When the 204bhp RWD ford sierra came out the media said all the same things about it being too quick and potentially lethal etc, but personally I find the standard ones totally boring to drive these days (same power to weight as a phase 1 v6 roughly) but I love driving them with double that power, so do lots of other people I know, in fact one of my mates has over 800bhp in a rwd saph and still hasnt managed to kill himself yet.

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Worst 'I drive high powered cars' thread ever.

He does though... and he only bought it up as people with no experience of fast cars were thinking he was a crazy man for suggesting a 500bhp Clio v6

He has driven almost everything I have ever owned for a start.

I would trust him with anything.

He is a complete petrol head and gets just as enthusiastic about my Clio172 as he does my 800bhp per tonne Westfield. He even liked a car of mine that he expected to hate and find ghey.... showing he isn't afraid to change his mind and change his opinion on a car after driving them

He is very knowledgable and ridiculously helpful and would spend hours helping you trying to fix a problem with any car you had and won't accept money!

He is an all round nice guy and top bloke.... and you will never meet a bigger petrol head!

Evo 5 RS
Somethings just have to be done though don't they. Even if it's just for the sake of it...Modifying is a mugs game if and when you decide you've had enough...If you condone it to be pointless - you could ask yourself wtf is the point in putting a V6 engine in the back of a short wheel base car in the first place

It's quite simple really, because it's f**king awesome(ly ridiculous)