ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio v6 to buy or not to buy??? your thoughts please

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Surely by that rationale, 172bhp is also a waste of power? Or do you drive everywhere absolutely flat out?

Firstly we all know it probably hasn't got 172hp lol

No I don't drive anywhere flat out, it doesn't need the power it has for what I use it for, but it doesn't mean it's not nice to have. Conversly I wouldn't spend a penny (or a minute of my time) on the engine trying to make it go faster as it's money/time I'd never see again, and that doesn't make sense in my head.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Firstly we all know it probably hasn't got 172hp lol

No I don't drive anywhere flat out, it doesn't need the power it has for what I use it for, but it doesn't mean it's not nice to have. Conversly I wouldn't spend a penny (or a minute of my time) on the engine trying to make it go faster as it's money/time I'd never see again, and that doesn't make sense in my head.

Again it depends if you enjoy doing it or not, personally I like building up project cars and i dont expect to see my money back.
Just like I enjoy doing trackdays even though I have to pay to do them.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Doesnt affect me at all, why would you think it would?
We're both just discussing our points of view on a discussion thread on a discussion forum, neither of us is expecting to change the others life surely?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Perhaps.

Just like your take on things, and it's nice to hear someone that doesn't mind going balls out on a project without all the 'what ifs'.

Also makes a change from the usual modifying 'yer bruv' lot.

Chip, I like you.

Seems like a stand-up guy. Proper petrol head too, by the looks of things. We could do with more of his type on here. Too many keybaord racers who think they know everything because someone from The Internet told them about a review in Evo.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG

I like him, I love you though. Feel special now?

Seems like a stand-up guy. Proper petrol head too, by the looks of things. We could do with more of his type on here. Too many keybaord racers who think they know everything because someone from The Internet told them about a review in Evo.

Exactly, too many self proclaimed genius' on here.

Driven a 500hp v6, no? f**k off then.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
this is still going on!

and its all over a bloody clio with an espace engine in the back :S

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I like him, I love you though. Feel special now?

Exactly, too many self proclaimed genius' on here.

Driven a 500hp v6, no? f**k off then.

What a moronic statement. Other than a GTR I can't think of many 'common' V6's with over 500Bhp...So on your basis, nobody is entitled a view on the matter?!

Point is, the lad had put a motor in the back of a Nova, it's a demonstration of engineering ability. It doesn't make him any more or less of a Petrohead than anyone else on here...let’s be honest we all share a common interest; be it trackdays, detailing or meets.

What amuses me and has always amused me most about this forum is that the folk that moan about the keyboard warriors/racers and indeed the keyboard warriors/racers.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Moronic, yes obviously. I bet there are a few round with that power and they are the only people who can comment, I didn't say otherwise.

Who was being a keyboard warrior?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Not sure i follow. But i'll let it fly.

"The what if's" as per your previous post are made by people who have some common sense. I think 500bhp in a v6 is a ridiculous idea. Would i want 500bhp in a clio. No. Would i want 300? - Yes. That's a realistic figure. I beleive i'm in a decent position to make that comment.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
It was sarcasm love.

Thats your opinion, and yes you do have some idea as you've got a v6. You haven't got a 500hp one so you can't actually comment on one having 500bhp being ridiculous.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Power to weight is addictive, the more you are used to it the more you want to a certain extent.

Porkies westfield at 800bhp per tonne (ie about the same as an 1100bhp v6 clio) is no doubt going to feel utterly mental to me the next time I go in it (was only 500bhp per tonne last time I did) and yet he's probably getting pretty used to it by now.

For me, 300bhp per tonne is about the optimum generally, thats about average for the turbocharged cars that I tend to map for others or build for myself I would say, so to me that feels relatively normal, and thats the 400-500 ballpark for a car the weight of a V6 clio.
For some people the figure that feels right to them will be far more than that, for others it will be far less, thats a figure that many manufacturers cars make though, like ferraris and top end porsches, so I dont really see how anyone can consider it inherently too dangerous for the road.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
We could gas all day about power to weight and performance. The simple fact is, and it was lost on page 1 is the Clio V6 does not have 400-500Bhp. Very few people have modified them due to the sheer cost, and before you comment on that, the people that have are technically very smart.

Like I’ve said, www.v6clio.net is a decent source of info, infact the only source of info. You only need to mention v6 on here for the topic to go off in tangents!

Time for breakfast.

Evo 5 RS
Should get back on topic, and Chip can come back when he's successfully tuned a Laguna engine to 500bhp in the space of a nats ****

I think Mike's was only 450bhp anyway, btw. I say only in reflection of how much it cost

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Should get back on topic, and Chip can come back when he's successfully tuned a Laguna engine to 500bhp in the space of a nats ****

I think Mike's was only 450bhp anyway, btw. I say only in reflection of how much it cost

how does your 172 in current form compare to a V6 pace wise??

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

No reason it needs to be a laguna engine still to make good use of the platform.

I could transplant the engine from my nova into one potentially for example, or use a K20 honda engine like some of the kit cars have started to, £5K is plenty to get an engine at 500bhp, a gearbox that can take it and a limited slip diff.
so although im sure it wouldnt be the end of the world trying to get that power out of the existing engine, its not the only option anyway.
Likewise an evo engine will do that power with minimal spend and can be run on a fwd gearbox for the right layour, or an mr2/celica engine, or loads of others.

Its quite amusing how difficult you guys seem to think something as relatively routine as getting 500bhp from an engine is.

Evo 5 RS
Not tried! If you're going by book figures probably not much in it. My cars 'quick' it's not a 500bhp Nova ;).

No reason it needs to be a laguna engine still to make good use of the platform.

I could transplant the engine from my nova into one potentially for example, or use a K20 honda engine like some of the kit cars have started to, £5K is plenty to get an engine at 500bhp, a gearbox that can take it and a limited slip diff.
so although im sure it wouldnt be the end of the world trying to get that power out of the existing engine, its not the only option anyway.

So now you're talking about a transplant as well? Nah, I'm out.. that's cheating ;)

Absolute dream car for me. Along with an RSi beetle. Surely there is better out there but an individuals opinion is their own, end of. The balls it took for Renault to do them, brilliant, and they pedal too, heard about that Ali on here running one round the ring well and I've seen/been in a few on track to know they are top fun/lairy.

There's some tragic Internet attitudes in here mind, 99% know jack s**t and shoot down someone with real technical knowledge, if the lads wrong, discuss, not b**ch like f**king kids on whose got the biggest pixel **** on WOW...

Anyway, I want Fred's vee or magpies, would of had chris's acid but he sold it, grrrr.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So now you're talking about a transplant as well? Nah, I'm out.. that's cheating ;)

I was talking about a transplant as an option pages ago mate, its just the platform that I think is awesome, the engine is pretty average and if I bought one with a blown up engine which is only way im likely to buy one, I would very possibly decide that the best engine for it wasnt the one that came out of it.
Hence my nova has a saab engine, and my clio mk1 im building with a vtec engine, and I have a half built mini with a vauxhall engine in, Im not one for sticking with an engine if its not the right one for the job!

I'm not really sure what this is about anymore.

We know it didn't come with 500hp, but there's no reason to take it personally because someone would like to tune it so that it does.

Seriously, you could replace "V6" with "GT5" in every post in this thread, and it would still make sense.

/PS3

CBR1K, F21 125D
M3
Winter tyres
PS3
Wages
15"
Twistez
Silver vision
Turinis
Troll
DK