ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio v6 to buy or not to buy??? your thoughts please

Evo 5 RS
I was talking about a transplant as an option pages ago mate, its just the platform that I think is awesome, the engine is pretty average and if I bought one with a blown up engine which is only way im likely to buy one, I would very possibly decide that the best engine for it wasnt the one that came out of it.
Hence my nova has a saab engine, and my clio mk1 im building with a vtec engine, and I have a half built mini with a vauxhall engine in, Im not one for sticking with an engine if its not the right one for the job!

I wasn't really being sincere fella, would just love to see you try lol. Although theres something wrong about putting a k20 where a V6 used to be

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I wasn't really being sincere fella, would just love to see you try lol. Although theres something wrong about putting a k20 where a V6 used to be

Lighter, stronger box, 9000rpm on tap. All sounds like an improvement to me, lol

I understand what you mean though in terms of ruining it as a clio v6, its not something you would ever want to do to a cherished example.

If I can find a cat d repaired properly thats then had the engine blown up though, it would be the ideal starting point!
Given that ones on the register tend to be down at around the 5K mark anyway even once repaired well from what I have seen, one with a blown engine would probably only be a 3K car, thats the sort of starting point I would like.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
PMSL at a Type R Clio! Piss right off!!!

And 5k to get 500bhp -How? 5k will get you around 350bhp on a K20A? Not sure if you were talking about another motor given that your punctuation is worse than mine!

Oh and this is the V6 (2up) vs a "Lighter, stronger box, 9000rpm on tap. All sounds like an improvement to me, lol"

Last edited by a moderator:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
PMSL at a Type R Clio! Piss right off!!!

And 5k to get 500bhp -How? 5k will get you around 350bhp on a K20A? Not sure if you were talking about another motor given that your punctuation is worse than mine!

How? Well in the case of a K20 you would get that power by turboing it but would need a bigger budget than 5K for that particular engine (considering its best part of 2K to buy the negine and box in the first place)
What 5K would easily get you though is:
Saab B204 engine + all rebuild bits to freshen it up, including T5 springs : 1K
Custom manifold and exhaust : 500
bigger injectors, unlock ecu : 300
Turbo : 1K
VX220 gearbox + quaiffe LSD : 1k
(Those prices are a lot more than I paid for the same, but I got lucky with some secondhand bargains like the turbo for 600 and the box with diff already fitted for 500 quid)
Thats 500bhp for 3800 quid so you then just need to sort out intercooling and pipework and driveshafts etc with your remaining 1200 quid, which is perfectly realistic if you are doing most of it yourself.
I personally would go for a large chargecooler for this as with it being mid engined you'll struggle to get the airflow for a decent sized intercooler.

Oh and this is the V6 (2up) vs a "Lighter, stronger box, 9000rpm on tap. All sounds like an improvement to me, lol"

Im not sure what you are trying to achieve with the video?
I was saying that as a basis for a 500bhp build the fact that the K20 is lighter, can rev further, and has a very strong gearbox are all improvements, I wasnt claiming that a standard sub 200bhp engine should beat a standard 255bhp V6 engine, not sure how you managed to get that wrong an impression if you thought that was what I was saying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Like i said, i have no idea what your battering on about...The angle of your arguement changes every two minutes, i can't keep up!.

The K20A is relatively hard to tune. 240bhp seems about right with Kpro, manifolds, exhaust and Gruppe M etc. thats a 20ish Bhp gain for 3k+ The Clio with similar mods will yield about the same...

If i see one more mention of 500bhp or Saab i'm going to shoot to the lavy and rip the heid aff it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The K20A is easy to get power out of when turbo'd, I wasnt suggesting N/A tuning it at any point, so no idea why you would think otherwise.

Clio V6
Amazing cars and simply can't get them out of my system.

Ignore the Phase 1 bashers, they are more raw and hardcore than the Phase 2 and offer great value for money at them moment (£7k will get you a decent one with modest mileage). I think people diss them purely because they don't have xenons :)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Wow this is fairly painful to read through.

If this thread hasn't put the OP off buying a V6 it defiantly has put him off asking any more questions on CS regarding it!

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
buy one if you have the money to buy AND maintain one as some parts if not all are going to be expensive..glad my dad has one you cannot get bored of the looks of it

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
I put my say in ealier on in this discusion that in my opinion, it is pointless to have 500+bhp in the back of a v6 clio to enjoy it fully. HOWEVER, I wouldn't tell anyone not to do it! The fact of the matter is a few of us here are indeed used to exremely quick cars. You'll find me in the summer months in road legal Pro ET drag cars so 500bhp is childs play in my grand scheme of things. But that doesn't mean I haven't had moments in my 230bhp clio with fraction of the power/weight where I have thought "s**te that was close!".

I've argueed with people on cliov6.net that ITS NOT impossible to tune our cars to a much higher power level at a reasonable costs. I too agree that basic tuning methods and solutions will work well. Hell, I've even got a Holset HX40 Turbo, Trophy inlet manifold and a few other things sitting on the bench. Thats for when I get bored of flinging mine around. Truth be told, its took me a couple of years to get very confident in driving it as hard as I can, as sideways as I can without worrying I'm going to write it off. I'm sure you will appriciate the v6 is not a car you can jump into and extract the most from first time. This is why test pilots and people who have drove one around the block have pretty invalid opinions about their handling as standard. Because of that, I can confidently say that with out significant chassis upgrades and even a decent aero package (bigger than any engine upgrade), 500bhp would be crap in a clio v6. It would simply be a dyno queen or youtube warrior than track day hero. Thats just my opinion, so if you feel otherwise thats fair enough.

Last edited:
  clio 182 cup
as an odd bit of motering bonkersness there pretty good, but there not that much faster than the front wheel drive versions, are eye warteringly expensive to run, ( body pannels are a 1000 quid a piece if your looking to crash yours) and are about as practical as a teabag sized suitcase, that said, its horses for courses, and if its a weekend blaster that will live in your garage for 6 days of the week, then it aint so bad, but be warned, theres no such thing as a cheap v6, be very warey of any 'cheap' ones knocking about, as renault will bum u for any part that it needs thats bespoke to that car. look to pay between 20 to 25 k and thatl get you a phase 2 with fsh, and all work done. i think, given time, these things wil become a bluechip investment, like the r5 gordinis, just give it another 10 years....
:rasp:

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
give it another 10 years and they will be high miles and cheap 20 years then maybe you will get your money back on a PH2 ;)

best time to buy a minter but dont be looking for a 5-10 year investment as they dont have the rally herritage like the R5 turbo 2 :S

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
People seem to forget that they were actually heavily based on the trophy cars which were far from road cars. True they may have never won wrc events or gt/fia championships but neither has a megane trophy v6. Does that mean if there were ever road going megane v6's they would lack track/motorsport history? . . . I think not. The fact of the matter is, a standard ph1 v6 shares as many trophy parts as a standard T2 or road going RS200 does with its group B counter parts. For that fact alone it should have a little motorsport recognition in my opinion.

PH1 V6
20 - 25k for a decent one... I think you are talking about the wrong car lol I have seen plenty of "mint" phase 2 V6's with FSH, HPI clear and relatively low mileage for between 14 - 18k at the very most. Only one I have seen over 20k has been one with silly low miles.

Great cars, I loved mine! and they are not as expensive to run as everyone makes out. Sure some of the parts are a little more expensive but in the grand scheme of things they do not cost a fortune.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I put my say in ealier on in this discusion that in my opinion, it is pointless to have 500+bhp in the back of a v6 clio to enjoy it fully. HOWEVER, I wouldn't tell anyone not to do it! The fact of the matter is a few of us here are indeed used to exremely quick cars. You'll find me in the summer months in road legal Pro ET drag cars so 500bhp is childs play in my grand scheme of things. But that doesn't mean I haven't had moments in my 230bhp clio with fraction of the power/weight where I have thought "s**te that was close!".

I've argueed with people on cliov6.net that ITS NOT impossible to tune our cars to a much higher power level at a reasonable costs. I too agree that basic tuning methods and solutions will work well. Hell, I've even got a Holset HX40 Turbo, Trophy inlet manifold and a few other things sitting on the bench. Thats for when I get bored of flinging mine around. Truth be told, its took me a couple of years to get very confident in driving it as hard as I can, as sideways as I can without worrying I'm going to write it off. I'm sure you will appriciate the v6 is not a car you can jump into and extract the most from first time. This is why test pilots and people who have drove one around the block have pretty invalid opinions about their handling as standard. Because of that, I can confidently say that with out significant chassis upgrades and even a decent aero package (bigger than any engine upgrade), 500bhp would be crap in a clio v6. It would simply be a dyno queen or youtube warrior than track day hero. Thats just my opinion, so if you feel otherwise thats fair enough.

Porkies 800bhp per tonne westfield:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvZtFUJHFV0&feature=youtu.be

If that works so well on track and is 500bhp, why would a 500bhp clio (DOUBLE the weight of his 700kg westy) not be any good?

I really do think that you people slagging off big power cars have just never been in one!

Italian 3.2 V6

If that works so well on track and is 500bhp, why would a 500bhp clio (DOUBLE the weight of his 700kg westy) not be any good?

I really do think that you people slagging off big power cars have just never been in one!

I would imagin the V6 to be very hard to drive fast with 500bhp, simply due to the chasis - very short wheel base and very wide track, plus a very heavy engine in the back. Westie on the other hand will be alot easier to drive in comparison.

It would be a very unsafe car to drive fast, very risky to push with 500bhp behind you. So in summary it would be abit pointless and abit daft IMO. Ok for the banta and 1/4miles but that would be it I'd of thought?

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172

Are you for real mate?? Blowing smoke up your own ass gets you know where fella. As already said, many on here do also work around some pretty damn fast machinery, myself Pro ET drag cars so the lousy video of an 400bhp westie doesn't exactly show or prove anything to myself or a few others here. Nobody in the same breath has said an 800 bhp per ton car would be s**t. Just that the v6 platform would be a handfull with 400bhp let alone 500.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I would imagin the V6 to be very hard to drive fast with 500bhp, simply due to the chasis - very short wheel base and very wide track, plus a very heavy engine in the back. Westie on the other hand will be alot easier to drive in comparison.

It would be a very unsafe car to drive fast, very risky to push with 500bhp behind you. So in summary it would be abit pointless and abit daft IMO. Ok for the banta and 1/4miles but that would be it I'd of thought?

Its longer wheelbase than my mid engined nova, and thats fun on track with the same power and less weight.

I just dont see why people who havent driven anything similar are arguing the toss against people who have. Its a pretty hard thing to convince someone that somethng they have experienced first hand working wont work, but feel free to keep trying, lol

All the N/A westy boys all say that you can have much over 200bhp in a westy or you cant ever use it, I think they are wrong too.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Are you for real mate?? Blowing smoke up your own ass gets you know where fella. As already said, many on here do also work around some pretty damn fast machinery, myself Pro ET drag cars so the lousy video of an 400bhp westie doesn't exactly show or prove anything to myself or a few others here. Nobody in the same breath has said an 800 bhp per ton car would be s**t. Just that the v6 platform would be a handfull with 400bhp let alone 500.

Ive been in vx220 with similar power, and that coped ok, as does my car, as do lots of audi tt powered elises, I just dont see how you can say something wont work when there are so many examples of similar that do!

A car "being a handful" is something that lots of us enjoy, if you want a car that isnt a handful then a 1.2 clio is perfect.