ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio v6 to buy or not to buy??? your thoughts please

An orange one
I can't understand the stigma against the v6 from some people on here, it's like you wish Renault had never made it, I think we should be glad cars like that were made as let's be honest, it's not going to happen again with the way the world is heading!

CBR1K, F21 125D
The fact that 99% of the people that give it the eye when you would "blast past" only doing so because they think you have a body kit.

:(

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
they are nice and have a part to play in a car owners garage due to them looking quite cool (except round the rear lights where it seems renault cba blending them into the body :S)........................................... but they are not a super car or even a mini exotic due to them being a renault clio with an espace engine in the back :S

dare a say it you buy one instead of a nicer Boxster S because they are cheaper!!!

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I can't understand the stigma against the v6 from some people on here, it's like you wish Renault had never made it, I think we should be glad cars like that were made as let's be honest, it's not going to happen again with the way the world is heading!

non enthusiasts thats why-
S

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol at the performance comments.

You dont buy a v6 on it's performance stats etc, if you do you have missed the point in the whole car all togther! It's all about the noise, the image, the drama, the feeling that it gives you everytime you drive it. The only people who should buy a V6 are the ones who's hairs stand up on the back of their neck once turning the key for that very first time. Proper enthusiasts.

OP - I dont think it's a car for you from even questioning the idea.

The trouble with those sort of expectations is then when you put your foot down its a bit of an anticlimax though.

Listerine & Poledo
supercharge it then, if you're afraid of being stuck in a superb looking machine that wont dust Ferrari's.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
supercharge it then, if you're afraid of being stuck in a superb looking machine that wont dust Ferrari's.

Agreed, forced induction is the way forward.

One my cars is mid engined and just a little lighter than the clio V6 and IME having it run it at lots of different power levels it feels "right" at about 400-450bhp or so, I reckon 500bhp in a V6 clio would be about where its at, maybe even a bit more.
That shouldnt be too hard to achieve from the engine itself, but heat management is likely to be a problem, so supercharger seems a better option than turbo for that reason.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I've never even driven one but would buy one in a heartbeat if it made sense for me right now. Love them, got the same kind of road presense as a Lambo!

White clique
The Renault 5 Turbo 2 had a silly bodykit and wasnt that fast... but still lives on as a classic. The V6 will do also, unlike the 172 or 182, or even the trophy.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
They have EXACTLY the same road prescence as a clio with a bodykit to most people as thats all they are too look at.

That's your opinion, people that know anything about cars know what a Clio v6 is and people that don't know anything about cars don't care anyway.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
The Renault 5 Turbo 2 had a silly bodykit and wasnt that fast... but still lives on as a classic. The V6 will do also, unlike the 172 or 182, or even the trophy.

the 5 turbo 2 had world rally heritage! where as the clio has................................a few good reviews and thats about it :S

Not a massive fan of the looks, especially up close, where the fit & finish leaves a lot to be desired. Special car though.

Lol at pwoer to weight being the same as a Toby Carvery 172. Firstly, that car doesn't have any torque. Secondly, once rolling BHP/ton means less than outright power. Thirdly, the 172 sounds like a sewing machine.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
How many V6 have you had or driven?

S

Ive driven both phase 1 and phase 2 as I was seriously considering buying one, but was really dissapointed with them so have never owned either and TBH I doubt I ever will unless its as a project to go forced induction with, The straightline performance really was nothing exciting at all in either case.

They really do need somewhere around the 500bhp mark up them IMHO to be interesting to me.

An orange one
A Vee with 500hp is just crazy talk, for starters you are probably looking circa £20k to get it to that power and then you have heat and reliability issues when you are there, then you have to consider that the car or chassis is not designed for that power and I would give it 2 corners before you are dead or the car is a Cat B write off!

It's not meant to be tuned to crazy figures, it's meant to be enjoyed and not ruined for what it is, that's why I'm glad Renault never sold many as that means there was less out there to be ruined by idiots,

If you want 500bhp buy an evo,

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
A Vee with 500hp is just crazy talk, for starters you are probably looking circa £20k to get it to that power and then you have heat and reliability issues when you are there, then you have to consider that the car or chassis is not designed for that power and I would give it 2 corners before you are dead or the car is a Cat B write off!

I agree that heat management is an issue, I dont believe it would cost me anything like 20K though, I only normally spend half that at most getting 500bhp out of a 4 pot, and I really dont see why you think I would write it off?

Have you ever driven anything along the lines of a 500bhp V6 clio in the first place to base that on or are you just guessing?

It's not meant to be tuned to crazy figures, it's meant to be enjoyed and not ruined for what it is, that's why I'm glad Renault never sold many as that means there was less out there to be ruined by idiots,

If you want 500bhp buy an evo,

I already have 500bhp in other cars, but I would just like it in a V6 clio as I really like the cars and how they drive but dont like their lack of performance.

MCS R56
So it's a 'look at me' car.

Given that the love/hate for the car on this forum is pretty much 50:50, it's not that desirable in the grand scheme of things and there is only a small percentage of people who buy them for the challenge.

If people like them then that's fine but the whole, 'you don't get them' if you don't is just not right. For me, it's fairly pointless, looks to kitted-up and there are plenty of better options out there. Being rare doesn't bother me.

Better options... M3, 350Z, S2000, Boxster? I'd say these are all better in most areas (performance, handling, toys) and all look better. I reckon the OP should look at the alternatives unless he wants a car for the (good or bad) attention.

An orange one
So why has a mate of mine spent over £12000 at gmc Motorsport supercharging a 106 gti to 310bhp, coupled with the fact that a sadev gearbox alone is £10000 and the standard box would last about 2 miles with that power,

No off the shelf parts are available for s/cing a Clio v6 so everything will have to be custom made like brackets etc,

There is tuning cars properly and then there is botching together on th cheap..

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So why has a mate of mine spent over £12000 at gmc Motorsport supercharging a 106 gti to 310bhp
Presumably because unlike myself he cant build it and map it with no external help so has had to pay half of that or more in labour? Either that or he just likes wasting money.

coupled with the fact that a sadev gearbox alone is £10000 and the standard box would last about 2 miles with that power
Gearbox wise you need to be looking at adapting or finding an existing box that is strong enough.
For example in my Nova I use a VX220 turbo gearbox with a Quaiffe LSD and in my Mk1 Clio im going to be using a Honda Civic s9B gearbox with LSD

No off the shelf parts are available for s/cing a Clio v6 so everything will have to be custom made like brackets etc
Indeed, that goes without saying.

There is tuning cars properly and then there is botching together on th cheap..
Tuning cars properly doesnt have to be expensive if you can do the work yourself.

Italian 3.2 V6
As said, you dont buy a v6 based on performance. It's an enthusiasts car. It's rare, special and a little bit crazy.

+1 on the retarded 500bhp comment FLOL.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
^ Don't feed the troll Colin.

Has owned multiple 500hp tuned cars but joined a Clio forum this month just for the lols.

Im sorry if you dont believe me, but it doesnt stop it being fact.

Here is my nova for example, its a well known car as it is my staff car for one of the car magazines that I write for, the lads from MWMsport will vouch for how well it goes if you ask them as I have taken Mike out in it.

DSC_1826.jpg

MF4M9621a.jpg

Likewise my sierra is pretty well known having been on the front cover of fast ford and then the back cover for a few years:
FastFordDec2005Page10.jpg

Im sorry if you feel that just cause I have faster cars I shoudlnt have joined this forum, but as we have 3 clios currently it seems an appropriate forum for me to be on, and specifically I joined up to post a graph of the MWMsport turbo clio that I helped map as Mike and Jack werent near a PC after dyno'ing it and I was.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
A short wheel base and 500bhp, you could pretty much guarantee death.

I disagree, Ive been in lots of cars with similar power and similar wheelbases and although a bit of a handful they go very well if you drive them with a little respect.

Here's my nova back when it was running similar power to weight to what a 500bhp V6 clio would be for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S8O-Eoaprw

Sure if you piss about you are going to spin out, but a mid engined layout is inherently stable.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I should have been clearer, 500bhp and a short wheel base - i'd kill myself.

As much as there slated, im pretty sure better men at Renault decided to keep it at 255bhp for a reason, it was ridicolous enough as it was and at circa 27k im sure the masses at first assumed it bound to fail.

As someone said, you either get it or you dont. I've always been a firm believer that if you want a fast car, buy a fast car. Yes i get the modifiying scene but why not buy an Impreza Turbo in some guise than throw money at an N/A car to try to make an already good car dare i say worse?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
flol that looks ace.

It handles a lot better now, there were some fundamental flaws with the rear suspension geometry that meant that during compression it was introducing toe out, but I have altered all the mounting points and control arm lengths etc and we have knocked up some new rose jointed toe control arms now to mean that it doesnt happen anymore.

DSC_1807.jpg

An orange one
All fine and impressive looking cars, but the difference as far as enthusiasts are concerned is that a mainstream manufacturer actually put a 3.0 v6 engine in the back of its humble hatchback and sold it officially through dealers, with a full 3 year warranty and sensible servicing intervals!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Im sorry if you dont believe me, but it doesnt stop it being fact.

Here is my nova for example, its a well known car as it is my staff car for one of the car magazines that I write for, the lads from MWMsport will vouch for how well it goes if you ask them as I have taken Mike out in it.

DSC_1826.jpg

MF4M9621a.jpg

Likewise my sierra is pretty well known having been on the front cover of fast ford and then the back cover for a few years:
FastFordDec2005Page10.jpg

Im sorry if you feel that just cause I have faster cars I shoudlnt have joined this forum, but as we have 3 clios currently it seems an appropriate forum for me to be on, and specifically I joined up to post a graph of the MWMsport turbo clio that I helped map as Mike and Jack werent near a PC after dyno'ing it and I was.

I honestly don't care one way or the other. You're either telling the truth, and seem to have some sort of chip on your shoulder that someone likes a car, for very valid reasons, that you do not. OR: you're just spouting crap.

Either way I wouldn't be in the slightest bit interested in reading anything you have to write in a magazine for this fact alone.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I should have been clearer, 500bhp and a short wheel base - i'd kill myself.

I think you would be surprised how well the mid engined layout suits big power.
Ive been in quite a few similar cars and none of the owners are dead, most recently a 500bhp VX220 for example.

As much as there slated, im pretty sure better men at Renault decided to keep it at 255bhp for a reason, it was ridicolous enough as it was and at circa 27k im sure the masses at first assumed it bound to fail.
Renault originally planned more power and less weight for the V6, I think that the people that decided otherwise were engineers not accountants and I think it was a crap decision!

As someone said, you either get it or you dont. I've always been a firm believer that if you want a fast car, buy a fast car. Yes i get the modifiying scene but why not buy an Impreza Turbo in some guise than throw money at an N/A car to try to make an already good car dare i say worse?

Some people actually ENJOY working on cars to modify them though, wether they are better or worse after is subjective of course so not going to argue with you if a 500bhp V6 clio would be better than a 255bhp one, I think it would if done correctly, you think it wouldnt, we'll just agree to differ on that one :)

Evo 5 RS
Re: clio v6 to buy or not to buy??? youre thoughts please

Nice car but it's renault engineering, would never get a renault again

Would you like some facts to go with your blanket sandwich?

Personally, I'd love one. Don't think I'll ever own one though

55 Clio 182, C2 VTS
I think this has gone a lil off topic so:I'd happily buy ANY car based on a few, personal, considerations:1. Do I like the way it looks and how I see myself in it?2. Do I like the way it drives and is it practical for what I see myself using it for?3. Am I satisfied with the value for money, performance wise and in general: i.e Am I happy paying £10k+ for what might be available elsewhere for ££3k less?I think if the OP can ask himself those questions and is happy saying yes to them then: Buy one. If its a No or there is doubt, then dont. Personally, I like the look of the V6, I havent driven one so cant comment on the performance etc, would I be happy paying £10k+? probably not? And as thats a No, then no, I wouldnt buy one.I'm perfectly happy observing a V6 and its owner from a-far with envy, jealousy and admiration. I like thinking about how I could justify owning one, though always reach the same conclusion: For what I would need to use it for by necessity, I can't.Still....

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
All fine and impressive looking cars, but the difference as far as enthusiasts are concerned is that a mainstream manufacturer actually put a 3.0 v6 engine in the back of its humble hatchback and sold it officially through dealers, with a full 3 year warranty and sensible servicing intervals!

Its a fantastic thing that renault did doing that IMHO, very brave decision, and it now means that if someone wants to build a real animal of a clio they have the perfect base to start from :)
Or if someone wants to just enjoy them for what they are they can do that too, everyone has their own opinion, mine is that the V6 would be a lot more interesting to myself if it wasnt so slow, but on the other hand I know my girlfriend would probably like to own a stanard one and just enjoy polishing it etc as she likes that sort of thing more than I do.