ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO IV RS - Trophy from page 111

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Considering the price they paid for that Getrag lump, they probably could have bought proper sequentials.

However, racing sequentials need regular rebuilds, so probably not the greatest thing to have on a road car.

CLIO 2 RS trackcar
Considering the price they paid for that Getrag lump, they probably could have bought proper sequentials.

However, racing sequentials need regular rebuilds, so probably not the greatest thing to have on a road car.

that's for sure, the reliability of a racing gearbox is not that of a commercial car gearbox.

After, in "Race" mode, the response of this gearbox is 130ms which is not bad and it's even very good for the category.

Clio 200
One of 1st video inside the CLIO 4 CUP

Look at the the very fast reactivity of its sequential gearbox ! <3

I want that on the phase 2 of CLIO 4RS !!

But it will not be the same price with this racing gearbox ^^

PLEASE NOTE – flappy paddles turn with wheel, NOT fixed to column, which is how it should be on the standard car. But isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, paddles and the gear lever are an issue. EDC is alright but the mechanics of changing gears in manual mode are "wrong".

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
Can't see the difference IMO between having to change gear with your fingers or take hand of wheel to move a gear stick.

Gear change is normally done in a straight line.

GTD, Lupo
Can't see the difference IMO between having to change gear with your fingers or take hand of wheel to move a gear stick.

Gear change is normally done in a straight line.

His first 2 gear changes on that video above are on bends! and then lots of the other changes are either coming off a bend or going into the bend. Massive difference with keeping both hands on the wheel!

On a gear stick, there is a piece of plastic (gear mode lock) at the front of it which gets in way during upshifts. Paddles are also designed weirdly - mounted on a column instead of the wheel and only pointing upwards, not downwards. It is strange that Renault Sport didn't pay attention to such important details.

hrCoinB.jpg

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
From what i've seen so far i'd say my only (on paper) gripe is the fact the paddles are mounted to the steering cloumn rather than the wheel? Odd!

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
On a gear stick, there is a piece of plastic (gear mode lock) at the front of it which gets in way during upshifts. Paddles are also designed weirdly - mounted on a column instead of the wheel and only pointing upwards, not downwards. It is strange that Renault Sport didn't pay attention to such important details.

hrCoinB.jpg
Shift levers are taken from the Nissan gt-r, can't blame renault for that must be to keep design costs down!

They are certainly not thought this "fact" is repeated throughout the Internet. This is how the paddles look in a GT-R:

nissan-gt-r_17.jpg

MarkCup: My response was to the claim that the paddles are the same as in GT-R. They are not although both two models have them mounted on the column.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I thought I needed glasses. I actually just need a moment to fpmsl.

CBR1K, F21 125D
Who REALLY NEEDS to change gear during full to half lock? Just get the gear right pre corner.

LOL at the price.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
But not everyone is becauseracedriver sadly. People do crazy things mid corner. Go in too hard or wrong gear and have to change down, oh oh oh hedge!

CBR1K, F21 125D
I know, but moving your hand say 4-6" as apposed to moving it 1ft and slurring a MK1/2/3 gearbox can't be ALL bad.

But not everyone is becauseracedriver sadly. People do crazy things mid corner. Go in too hard or wrong gear and have to change down, oh oh oh hedge!

TBH if you've got your arms all crossed up doing Ken Block style doughnuts around a half-eaten box of chicken nuggets in the Maccies car park, then you're probably not really going to find wheel mounted paddles especially easy to operate?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I just think wheel mounted paddles are just far better and easier to use. By far.

Oh and nearly £300 a month for a Clio is something that tickles me slightly. There is a reason £199 a month was so succesful last time.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not arguing that's what it costs. The fact is I find that a bit mental to buy a Clio. Some of the offers I get through leasing etc Mercs, Bmws, all round about that price. And the lease comes with great extras, servicing etc.

Maybe i'm out of touch as i've owned my cars outright but that to me is an awful lot of money to pcp a Clio.