ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Tyres

Do you use winter tyres

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
  Swift Sport
Does Homer Simpson still do his 'Mr Plow' sideline? I might give him a call if I get in a dilly of a pickle.

2.2 bar shed.
Just done the math and for me to change from summers to winters on my Rover would cost me 800 quid. Or I can just spend the 800 quid insuring one of the hiluxs and boss everything in my path. Simple choice imo.

2.2 bar shed.
It won't really cost you £800 though unless your current tyres are going to last forever.

/broken_record

I'd save 300 quid sticking to summers though? Doesnt make a difference for me though, my car doesnt leave the barn until March.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I was thinking of just using two bags of table salt infront of the front wheels with small holes in, thus creating a salt trail for me to follow.. then my R888' with 5psi in would be fine.

Fpmsl! This thread brought the lols to the yard.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
First snow fall of the year last night today, possibly an inch maybe an inch and a half.

Hancook V12's at the front and Uniroyal Rainsports at the back, covered around 60 miles last night and 20 today.

No crashes but the engine management light did come on which is nice.

Didn't realise this had been unlocked. Search FTW.

So today I had my winter boots fitted again. Amazingly, on the way home, the weather turned from blue skies to torrential rain and hail. WTF.

As I remember, they have had a negative affect on the immediacy of the front end. Definitely a bit softer on turn-in, and the whole car seems a tiny bit more vague on the straight ahead. It does have a fair bit more grip though when I lean on it in these temperatures, and definitely more traction. It's also a much nicer ride, and massively quieter.

Bring on the snow & ice, and proper cold zub-zero temps.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Fitted mine about 2 weeks ago on both cars. Had a little bit of snow and drove a car with summers on. No I didn't get stuck, slide into things, roll over or go on fire but the closest I can compare to is the difference between good tyres in the dry and cheap budgets in the wet. Just sooo much more grip which to me has to mean its better. I guess Im lucky cos got the space to store an extra 2 sets of wheels and tyres.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
So today I had my winter boots fitted again. Amazingly, on the way home, the weather turned from blue skies to torrential rain and hail. WTF.

As I remember, they have had a negative affect on the immediacy of the front end. Definitely a bit softer on turn-in, and the whole car seems a tiny bit more vague on the straight ahead. It does have a fair bit more grip though when I lean on it in these temperatures, and definitely more traction. It's also a much nicer ride, and massively quieter.

Bring on the snow & ice, and proper cold zub-zero temps.

I noticed mine's a little softer generally but it's nice to chill (see what I did there) out for a while. Will make it feel more like a go-kart after the cold stuff does one !

Last night coming home late, cold and wet around midnight, I tried to get mine to step out around roundabouts. It just doesn't !! No obvious understeer, it just grips and grips !

Can't wait for some real winter stuff to hit.

:approve:

I noticed mine's a little softer generally but it's nice to chill (see what I did there) out for a while. Will make it feel more like a go-kart after the cold stuff does one !

Last night coming home late, cold and wet around midnight, I tried to get mine to step out around roundabouts. It just doesn't !! No obvious understeer, it just grips and grips !

Can't wait for some real winter stuff to hit.

:approve:

Indeed. They do change the car, but I'll get used to it again in a few days. Whilst not as sharp, within minutes of driving, it was clear that I could lean on it harder. Temps here were around 3-4c at the time.

Swift Sport
Like Royston I got my winter tyres fitted today, and I didn't get any wheelspin when I tried to reverse up my sleet covered driveway this afternoon. First impressions are good, and they iron out the bumps better also!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Indeed. They do change the car, but I'll get used to it again in a few days. Whilst not as sharp, within minutes of driving, it was clear that I could lean on it harder. Temps here were around 3-4c at the time.

No temp gauge (or annoying beeping!) in my car... but it was chuffing chilly.

I'm half tempted to increase my ARBs to the hardest settings, but might just leave that for spring :eek:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't be that fussed if the car "handled" poorly after fitting them.

They are there to do a job really I wouldn't even compare them to summer tyres. Safety first in the winter.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
In amongst this 22 pages of rubbish, has anyone given examples of winter wheels that'll fit on 172's? I don't want to get 16's cos I've just looked how much 16" winter shoes cost in comparison to 15"'s

So what boggo 15"'s from Renault's wonderful catalogue will clear my (standard) calipers?

I wouldn't be that fussed if the car "handled" poorly after fitting them.

They are there to do a job really I wouldn't even compare them to summer tyres. Safety first in the winter.

Indeed mate, and I knew what to expect because it's my second winter on them. Tyres are a compromise, and premium summers do not perform in cold temperatures. Mine feels quite sloppy now in comparison, but that's kind of the point. It does feel safer already even at 3-4c, and it rides better and makes less noise. Ninteeen winches of emperor-spec winter rubb0rz FTW.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
In amongst this 22 pages of rubbish, has anyone given examples of winter wheels that'll fit on 172's? I don't want to get 16's cos I've just looked how much 16" winter shoes cost in comparison to 15"'s

So what boggo 15"'s from Renault's wonderful catalogue will clear my (standard) calipers?

Any 15 inch 4 stud renault wheel will fit. Steel/alloy whatever.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I got part worns as I won't see the benefit when I sell the car.

I honestly don't know where to recomend sory my sweet.

Also, as I've said before, people often investigate winter tyres in winter. If they bought them in the summer, they would almost certainly cost less than equivalent summer tyres. My current winters were c.£180 each, and that's a fair chunk less than my summers. Also, over a whole winter, they had worn so little, that it was impossible to measure which ones had been my fronts. Quite impressive given a high powered FWD shed. I think they will last me 3 seasons, and also save my summer tyres in the process.

FTW!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Mine were £66 a corner delivered in September. Didn't pay to fit them.

I've just had a look .. I can't buy the same ones again from BlackCircles, the cheapest on offer there are £100 a corner. Same make/model as mine on MyTyres are £80 now !

Swift Sport
Winter tyres were going up £40 a week on a couple of sites I checked, or had ran out of stock.

I paid £200 for a full set of 17" winter tyres, they get good reviews too.

Yeah. You really need to buy them before the 'masses' are even considering it. It's just the nature of the market supply in the UK at the moment. Probably because only around 1% of UK motorists have the first clue about their benefits. So when they do decide to buy them, prices are silly.

White clique
Thread needs to harden up.

In most of the posts i read on this forum, people seems to want something that is exciting and risky, whether that be a track day or a cup with no ABS, or switching off traction.

This is why i am rolling in rock hard run flat summer tyres, i am a hero. I am leaving them on there on purpose so my car feels more RAW.

Honest.

Swift Sport
Actually, thinking about it... You've got these guys who 'can't afford' winter tyres on their track-spec, stripped out and coilovered beasts that only go as far as Tescos... Yet they'll pay over the odds for 888's or RS2's when in reality, ting-tong tyres will suffice given the same 'can't afford it' mentality.

The poll results are quite telling, actually. Those who I consider to be intelligent seem to have voted 'yes', and those who I think are a bit dim, have voted otherwise.