ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Tyres

Do you use winter tyres

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Obviously never had an uncontrollable 3mph slide on ice then..

Try it with a densely populated country. We actually have other motorists to contend with down here.

LOL. First rule of internet - never attempt to reason with Scotts. They are trolls from birth by default, owing to the lack of intelligence. Find one that's actually trying to troll, and you need some ungodly skills to successfully communicate. Better to just ignores.

Anyone else find winter tyres just plain weird when the conditions are bad?

Driving home this evening casually doing 70mph down the motorway passing traffic as I go. As I ventured off the motorway I noticed the roads had been gritted, it was only when I caught up with slow traffic that it became apparent that perhaps the roads were a little slippery. The winter tyres however didn't indicate any signs of poor traction, giving me the impression that I could carry on at normal speeds.

If you are sensible enough to be driving to the conditions, then you'll know that those conditions are affected by the tyres you are using. If your car feels secure, then you're driving sensibly. Of course, as always, you need to factor in a quite large margin of error. Basically you are comfortable with how your car is driving. No need to worry about it just because everyone else is using the wrong tyres. FYI the same people that will complain about other drivers using 'ditch finders' when summer arrives.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
LOL. First rule of internet - never attempt to reason with Scotts. They are trolls from birth by default, owing to the lack of intelligence. Find one that's actually trying to troll, and you need some ungodly skills to successfully communicate. Better to just ignores.
It was late, I took the bait.

I'll leave to the pro troll-handlers in future :)

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Pffffft. Don't know why he insisted on fitting snow tyres. Huge waste of money. Doesn't he know that driving to the conditions would get him everywhere??

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Apologies. It was obviously a poor attempt at impersonating a fully fledged troll. I thought my sarcastic 'tone' was spot on as well......:dapprove:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Comedy dog clip at the end ! Brilliant.

Are those things permo 4WD or psuedo 4WD like a quattro TT ? It didn't look too happy around and up that incline towards the end.

Apologies. It was obviously a poor attempt at impersonating a fully fledged troll. I thought my sarcastic 'tone' was spot on as well......:dapprove:

Trolling, sarcasm, or anything even remotely displeasing to anyone else is banned from the 'new and improved' CS. Did you not get the meme?

Clio 182 arctic
For people to use winter tyres in this country I think we really need some seriously bad weather this time and the next. Not because we don't need them but because to the average person winter tyres mean snow tyres. And it is going to take a whole lot of snow and accidents and tailbacks to get the average person even considering them. We need to get rid of this impression that they are for snow only. If this winter carries on mildly as it is now then I cant see anyone really investing in them next year.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
14471j5.jpg

Mission accomplished

Apologies for the poor picture, was desperate for a piss

I think the car looks better on steelies :eek:

is1

Integra Type R DC2
Silver and Matt Black, nice combo!
Are those a a 15" steel wheel/winter tyre package? If so, which tyre and a review would be good.
Thanks.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I got them through a friends dad, the wheels are just boggo 15" steelies from Renault

Tyres are Matador Nordica. Can't really give much of a review yet, as it's 11c outside

They feel alright though

Matador is something to do with Continental, or so I've heard

172 cup, Impreza P1
Never tried winter tyres on the Clio but the cup is hopeless in the snow and gets stuck on any hill over a 2% incline even using clutch control.

Just bought some winter tyres for my Impreza which was already very good in the snow (apart from the front splitter which acts as a plough in anything over 3" deep) but as said, they last longer in cold conditions, give better grip in most winter conditions and so if you have a spare set of wheels I see it as a no brainer as they go away in the spring and are out again next winter.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Winter has sort of arrived, what with all the rain and it finally getting a bit cold

Definitely more responsive than my summer tyres are in even this sort of mild winter weather

The missus notices the differences too, and she's oblivious to most things

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Well my fail of winter tyres.. not checking the wheels I got them fitted to have the right Centre Bore! ffsnake!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Yeah, only really been cold enough in the last couple of weeks to worry about it..

10degrees plus isn't really cold enough to warrant putting them on IMO..

Got winters on my MX5 mind ;)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I've had mine on since November. They're better in the wet and general crappy autumnal conditions.. But you already know that ;)

Just been out for a drive .. Main roads are clear, look like they might have been plowed or just gritted properly. Side roads are compacted snow/ice now they've been driven on but the tyres are hilarious! Press the brakes and it stops 90% as well as it does in the dry. Give the gas a squeeze and there's no spinning even when boost spools up :D

Brilliant !!

Swift Sport
I live at the top of a hill, and I had to drive up it in the snow last night. I literally drove up the hill on the wrong side of the road overtaking all the strugglers, one of them even shouter w****r at me as I drove past. Awesome.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Fake 4wd means I don't need it and can use 888's throughout? Yes?

I can also drive at normal speeds because 4wd definitely helps the brakes and will stop quicker defying all physical logic...

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I've recently got 4 Uniroyal Rainsport 2's fitted, really good in the wet. This winter will be a test for them.

Clio rs 200
Previous car was a merc cls and that wouldn't really move in the cold weather without winter tyres on. Shame they dont fit the Clio as I've a full set left over from when I sold the car. I was thinking a fwd car with a big engine over the wheels should be ok we'll see

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Previous car was a merc cls and that wouldn't really move in the cold weather without winter tyres on. Shame they dont fit the Clio as I've a full set left over from when I sold the car. I was thinking a fwd car with a big engine over the wheels should be ok we'll see
What size dude? I may take them off your hands if they fit the R32. 225/40/18

Gaz.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I'll play it by ear. Probably Novermber when its MOT time, I'll get Birchdown to swap the AD08s over on my 15's.