ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Tyres

Do you use winter tyres

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's pretty damn lean.

I'm not the best judge; running 195/50.15, but do you think due to the tread block design they are more susceptible to block squidge/shuffle?

Yeah no doubt. The whole tyre is softer. If you used them in the summer for performance driving they would wear quite quickly I imagine. My car is definitely more of a softy with these tyres, but it has loads more grip and traction in this weather than my summer tyres had. Loads more. You need a little more steering input to get the same response, but you quickly get used to the subtle change. It's also a good deal quieter, and the ride quality is better.

This the tread pattern on mine. Not my actual tyre.

35059_1.JPG

Swift Sport
These winter tyres do give a false sense of security on slippery roads! I've found myself driving a little too quickly on the odd occasion due to the extra grip.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Just bought myself a pair of these.

quad.jpg

Kleber Quadraxers at £45 each in 195/50/15 fitment. Need to tweak the tracking on the 306 before I fit them but im interested to see how they get on. I ran super skinny 155/70/13 Hankook Icebears on the 106 and that went EVERYWHERE in the snow.
Tyre width (or a lack of it) makes a big difference which is what made the 106 so capable in the fluffy stuff.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Just ordered some 15" steels and winter tyres through my best mates dad (who owns a garage). 600 all in in the end, which is hardly a great deal of money. There was a post on the PH forums of a guy who bought new winter wheels and tyres for his V12 Vantage, for 3 grand.

Should be here early next week, hopefully the snow/really s**tty weather won't arrive before then

At least next year I won't have the expense again, hoping the tyres last at least a few winters (I do 5k a year on summer tyres, so they're probably going to get next to f**k all use)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
So my outlay of about 320 quid or so on tyres (probably would have been cheaper had I bought a month ago) will last me a fair while. All the while preserving my summer tyres whilst they're not being murdered by snow and ice for 3-4 months.

Nice.

I've grown more sensible since I got engaged tbh, I'm now contemplating getting a wagon next year.

Just bung some 15 inch steels on. Simple....unless you prefer style over substance of course. ;)

I've found a few sets of renault alloys on ebay, Just need to figure out what works out best as they're all collection only.

Could only find brand news steels that were £200+ new.

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
snow socks are brilliant - would recommend them to everyone.

just make sure you dont use them on tarmac - they get destroyed very quickly.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Found a place on ebay selling part worn winter tyres for cheap, So gonna put some winter tyres on the turini's.

Here's the shop if anyone's interested: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/save_on_tyres_direct/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Just be aware that winter tyres are at their very best when the tread is full I.e new. Part worn ones with 3-4 mm of tread left are actually pretty ineffective as the sintered sections of the tread blocks are nearly completely worn down.
Just something to bear in mind.

Yeah they do apparently lose some of that magic effectiveness in snow once worn, but you'll still benefit from the softer compound, and improved cold and wet weather grip. Yes they'll be better than rock hard (basically frozen) summer tyres.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Just ordered some 15" steels and winter tyres through my best mates dad (who owns a garage). 600 all in in the end, which is hardly a great deal of money. There was a post on the PH forums of a guy who bought new winter wheels and tyres for his V12 Vantage, for 3 grand.

Should be here early next week, hopefully the snow/really s**tty weather won't arrive before then

At least next year I won't have the expense again, hoping the tyres last at least a few winters (I do 5k a year on summer tyres, so they're probably going to get next to f**k all use)

Six hundred quid??? I can think of many better things to spend my money on!!!

You're all mental.

Whilst I'm here, anyone want to buy volcano insurance?

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I don't bother with seat belts either. Never had a crash so no real need for them IMO.

is1

Integra Type R DC2
To throw a bit of a curveball into the mix, how about an all-season tyre such as the Vred Quatrac 3.
In reality, the predominant troublesome weather in the UK is cold and wet.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Six hundred quid??? I can think of many better things to spend my money on!!!

You're all mental.

Whilst I'm here, anyone want to buy volcano insurance?

Me too, but the wheels I won't have to buy again, just the tyres

I've spent way less on xmas this year than I usually do, so I had some spare cash

Last year I did 400 odd quid on the missus alone, this year limited to 50 on her :p

Clio 172 Sport
I have got Snow Tyres "BF Goodrich AT's" look rubbish on the 172 but quite suit the Shogun ;)....When it gets a little icy/snowy there is only one choice for me.

Italian 3.2 V6
Is there such a tyre which is mainly for summer but still decent in cold/winter conditions? Or is simply one or the other?

is1

Integra Type R DC2
Is there such a tyre which is mainly for summer but still decent in cold/winter conditions? Or is simply one or the other?

Yes, there are all season tyres such as the Vredestein Quatrac 3 or the Goodyear 4 Season (I think that's what it is called) which have a dual tread surface and claim to be perfectly useable in ice and snow as well as normal summer temperatures.
I assume they won't work to the extremes such as ultra high performance tyres in the summer (say, Michelin/Conti sports tyres) but that said I have rarely heard of a poor Vredestein tyre.
I'm not sure on sizing either but the point is there are all season tyres available.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My truck on normal tyres (2.15 tonnes) still feels perfect today. No need to retire it for the winter tyred Pajero.

Men need to man up.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Despite my looks, I actually haven't.

OT, Not even close to being cold here, been a crap winter so far. :(

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Have had the Klebers on the 306 for a couple of days now and although we've only had one pathetic flurry of wet sleet, in the wet the front feel much more happy with life.
Immediately you feel how much softer and compliant these tyres are (im cheap, I only put on fronts....the rear can do what it wants).

In comparison, I thawed out the Cup this morning after a week of not turning a wheel.....a rather foolish notion I thought considering the road I live on that was wet last night is frozen this morning. Anway, im not one for driving like a zero when the temps are low and the road surfaces are grit glossy but even at sedate speeds it isn't at all confidence inspiring.

Maybe its a British thing simply 'coping' with crappy cold and wet weather on rock hard summer tyres or maybe, more likely, its just pure ignorance.

Ironically, there are people in the snow socks thread talking about ditch finders in general, when they appear to be using summer tyres in winter. The difference between a summer premium and summer ditch finder, in summer, is a lot less than the difference between a premium summer and cheap winter, in winter.

That doesn't matter though. In the summer everyone must have hero-spec tyres for breaking the lap record to the shops, but in the winter, everyone has to drive to the conditions, and create grip where there is none by using their extreme driving skills that they've mastered since they passed their test in July.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
'Drive to the conditions'.This saying in particular makes me chortle as its used widely on here. It is of course common sense to drive more sensibly when the conditions are a bit grim but how does one 'drive to the conditions' when the equipment being used isn't fit for the conditions?
Is slithering along at 5mph, with next to no traction to do anything, perfectly ok because you are 'driving to the conditions'?

Surely it can be argued that driving in the snow on untreated roads on next to useless 'summer' tyres is the equivalant of driving in a moonson like downpour with bald tyres on.
As we know, in certain countries on the continent, Germany in particular, its ILLEGAL to NOT have winter tyres on in the winter months.....but of course that probably won't stop the forum users of www.zecliosport.de claiming they can defy the laws of physics on summer rubber.....just drive to the conditions..yo;)

Indeed, but as long as the law allows them to do so, people will continue to justify their choice not to use winter tyres.

Swift Sport
Anyone else find winter tyres just plain weird when the conditions are bad?

Driving home this evening casually doing 70mph down the motorway passing traffic as I go. As I ventured off the motorway I noticed the roads had been gritted, it was only when I caught up with slow traffic that it became apparent that perhaps the roads were a little slippery. The winter tyres however didn't indicate any signs of poor traction, giving me the impression that I could carry on at normal speeds.

clio 182 sexy blue
Learn to drive slow in snow and ice you fkin retards !!! We can do it in Scotland.. so can you with your 1 inch of snow a year :)

Red
Anyone else find winter tyres just plain weird when the conditions are bad?

Driving home this evening casually doing 70mph down the motorway passing traffic as I go. As I ventured off the motorway I noticed the roads had been gritted, it was only when I caught up with slow traffic that it became apparent that perhaps the roads were a little slippery. The winter tyres however didn't indicate any signs of poor traction, giving me the impression that I could carry on at normal speeds.

Yep. It's weird looking at white roads yet having traction. f**k you winter.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Learn to drive slow in snow and ice you fkin retards !!! We can do it in Scotland.. so can you with your 1 inch of snow a year :)

Obviously never had an uncontrollable 3mph slide on ice then..

Try it with a densely populated country. We actually have other motorists to contend with down here.