ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Tyres

Do you use winter tyres

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
  Turbos.
Just curious (can we have a poll?); a couple of winters ago i thought to myself "Must get winter tyres next time." This time, i finally have.

So, who is stubbornly going to carry on with their summar/all weather tyres, and who has forked out on a set of winters?

Just hope it snows now!

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
I have a set of winters from last year. However, laziness means I haven't fitted them on the car yet.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Normal tyres for me, forking out for 4x 235/35 19 tyres would make me cry.

Mondeo TDCI 130
Normal tyres for me, even though i have never ben stuck yet?! Rear tyres are about shagged on my power ranger, so could be going sideways soon!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
They just seem to be 'in fashion'.

I can see their worth and i'm not doubting them, but my dad (and me!) do in excess of 50,000 miles a year each and have never purchased 'winter tyres'.

Just drive to the conditions and don't be a prat. Simple.

Clio182, 88'Scirocco
I need 2 new normal front tyes first. Would never bother with winter tyres personally unless we were guaranteed 6ft of snow every month for about 4 month. My cousin has a set but he lives in Canada

Turbos.
I was like Daniel really, used to think it was all down to the driver. But 2 years back i got stranded in my Mum's Merc. It was auto, had traction control that couldn't be turned off and summer tyres. Made it most of the journey then hit a big hill with stationary traffic; ended up stuck there with about 20 other cars.

Last year was just mental, but fortunately my mum had moved to a 4x4 so i was OK. Of course, some of it has to do with where you live (i.e. in a town or out in the sticks). I also had to get into work every day, so couldn't just have a day off and not venture out.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I was like Daniel really, used to think it was all down to the driver. But 2 years back i got stranded in my Mum's Merc. It was auto, had traction control that couldn't be turned off and summer tyres. Made it most of the journey then hit a big hill with stationary traffic; ended up stuck there with about 20 other cars.

Last year was just mental, but fortunately my mum had moved to a 4x4 so i was OK. Of course, some of it has to do with where you live (i.e. in a town or out in the sticks). I also had to get into work every day, so couldn't just have a day off and not venture out.

Ha! Funnily enough the only time my Dads ever had an issue was with his Merc! Automatic and RWD = Useless! lol.

I'm not saying its down to the driver, i'm just saying i'm sensible! lol. If its 2 feet deep and the roads are chaos, I won't be going out. The general public won't miss me if I stay indoors for a day and work will not shut down if I can't get anywhere.

BMW's are as much use as a chocolate fireguard if it snows too, regardless of transmission type. It's worth pointing out that winter tyres are not just better in snow/ice they give much better traction and braking in wet, greasy and cold conditions. They also wear better when it's cold than summer tyres. Yes the initial outlay seems high but once you have them as you can only drive with one set at a time it's no different to repeatedly replacing summer tyres with new summer tyres when they wear out.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
bcdd18c6-e61a-2696.jpg

Hi

Black Gold Trophy
^LOL! Both my parents have mercs too, I still maintain the only one I'd ever buy is a 190E cosworth

I've been thinking about winter tyres as I had a few close calls last year, but tyres are so expensive for 16" wheels.

I've been thinking about winter tyres as I had a few close calls last year, but tyres are so expensive for 16" wheels.

Set of cheap 15's from eBay or the for sale section on here bang some rubber on them then tuck your 16's away until spring/summer.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
I see this discussion on car forums every year, iirc we had the same discussion on here last year, I'm not surprised to see all the usual lines such as "just drive to the conditions, simples" etc. Good luck with that, the laws of physics will always win in the end.

Only people who have actually driven on winter tyres will ever understand just how much difference they make, it is actually pretty unbelievable until you drive on them. They can often be the difference between making it up that hill and getting stuck at the bottom.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Winter tyres, but last year i was ok until i got stuck on my parents drive!! Thats with a 328 sport.

I see this discussion on car forums every year, iirc we had the same discussion on here last year, I'm not surprised to see all the usual lines such as "just drive to the conditions, simples" etc. Good luck with that, the laws of physics will always win in the end.

Only people who have actually driven on winter tyres will ever understand just how much difference they make, it is actually pretty unbelievable until you drive on them. They can often be the difference between making it up that hill and getting stuck at the bottom.

Unless it's RWD, then you're going nowhere, just ask Germany, Sweden etc.

M135i, 118 coupe
I can agree winter tyres help loads!!
German law to have winter tyres so when I came back to the uk on leave last year was funny to see 4 x 4 s getting stuck and my Clio shooting round

Unless it's RWD, then you're going nowhere, just ask Germany, Sweden etc.

Disagree, given that I've tested 4wd cars with summer tyres vs rwd shod with winters on low ice hills, kicker plates and wetted low friction tarmac. You genuinely would be impressed with the difference they make.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I'm looking forward to testing the BMW in ze ice. Winters on the back and linglongs on the front will be a laugh.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Whats your malfunction Pile?

You've obviously got some sort of issue with me so spit it out.

I just pointed out that if the conditions are too bad, I'll stay at home. The worlds economy isn't going to grind to a halt because people haven't gone to work. If people get stuck in the snow I couldn't give a fcuk. Shouldn't have gone out.

I've never got stuck. Ever. Because if the weathers too bad, I don't go out. Nothing to do with driving skills or talent, just common sense.

White clique

I just pointed out that if the conditions are too bad, I'll stay at home. The worlds economy isn't going to grind to a halt because people haven't gone to work. If people get stuck in the snow I couldn't give a fcuk. Shouldn't have gone out.

I've never got stuck. Ever. Because if the weathers too bad, I don't go out. Nothing to do with driving skills or talent, just common sense.

agree fully.

I know my car is cack in the snow, the last one was and this will be too - its just one of those things i man up and accept, i'll see if the snow socks are bearable, if not then meh i'll just whinge when the time comes.

Swift Sport
I've bought some for the simple reason that where I live is very hilly, and I NEED to get to work.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi

Flol.. do you want some salt to go on that chip on your shoulder?

Do you stay at home when its just cold and icy but no snow? Winter tyres are not specifically snow tyres.. they offer much higher levels of grip at low temperature, not just in snow.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've bought some for the simple reason that where I live is very hilly, and I NEED to get to work.

I like you, you know this. But that is b****cks nobody NEEDS to get to work. Will you die if you miss work? No.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Do you stay at home when its just cold and icy but no snow? Winter tyres are not specifically snow tyres.. they offer much higher levels of grip at low temperature, not just in snow.

I'd like a Luger and your address tbh.

Can you explain to me why in the 14 years i've been driving I have never had a weather related accident? Must be my winter tyres... Oh, wait.

White clique

thats very useful for decreasing stopping distances, as is slowing down. I've never found myself skidding all over the place when its cold.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
To be honest i only bought mine because the rears were bald anyway and they were £70 for the pair.

I would have shoved summers on and parked the car for 3 months otherwise.