ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What are the best current tyres for a 172 Cup?

ex-Chinese Dave

ClioSport Club Member
Original spec for the 172 Cup were 195/40 r16 ContiSportContact. Mine is currently fitted with a set of Toyo T1R with plenty of thread left on. I've read that these are not the best tyre but given that we are going into warmer weather (!) should I wait until nearer winter to buy a better set? And what set you recommend for just normal driving? (ie no track or boy racer sh1t)

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
200.gif

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Can't say I noticed even with a lot of camber.
I’m a Yokohama fan boy. I literally spend thousands of pounds a year buying them. I drove my track car to Croft this morning on PS3s, I drove around the circuit on my Yokos and then drove home on my PS3s.

the OP said no track or boy racer s**t. Just go with PS3s Dave 👍

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I’m a Yokohama fan boy. I literally spend thousands of pounds a year buying them. I drove my track car to Croft this morning on PS3s, I drove around the circuit on my Yokos and then drove home on my PS3s.

the OP said no track or boy racer s**t. Just go with PS3s Dave 👍
They're literally neither. I probably did more miles in my clio than most. Most of those were motorway miles to work everyday.

I'd rather tyres that handle themselves when in a sticky situation than something which has floaty sidewalls.

All IMHO of course.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
They're literally neither. I probably did more miles in my clio than most. Most of those were motorway miles to work everyday.

I'd rather tyres that handle themselves when in a sticky situation than something which has floaty sidewalls.

All IMHO of course.
yep. Have you ran your Clio on PS3s before? I mean if you have and you prefer the AD08Rs then that‘s an opinion based on experience, and a valid one at that.

No hate fella.

I just think for an old road car, with lots of wear and tear, the smart move is to try and stay as close to factory as possible. PS3 are pretty ancient tyres, certainly by modern day standards, but the Clios are an ancient car too. They seem to work really well together. A good all year round tyre. Expensive though.