ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What tyre makes are best, 195/55/15 H size?

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Not purchased any tyres in years so what brands are best, in wet etc.
Car has continentals at moment but with winter want new set for daughter.
Cheers :)

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
“Best” is really difficult as it depends on your priorities. Depends on the type of driving your daughter does too.

Personally I’d find it hard to look past the Michelin CrossClimate+. They’re expensive, but they’ll grip well whatever the conditions, even in snow.

I have two 195/55/15 Toyo R1R's sat doing nothing which you can have for cheap if you can find a matching pair.
Aren't R1Rs basically track slicks? So not really winter tyres?? lol :D

Rainsport 3 are generally reported as being great in inclement conditions, albeit not a dedicated All Season or Winter tyre:

And you can get V-rated versions (so higher speed versions) for about a quid more:

It looks like there may even be a Rainsport 5 version now, which I wasn't aware of:

Other options could be Continental AllSeasonContact for All Season tyres:

which seem to be well reviewed:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/7-of-the-best-all-season-tyres-for-2018.htm

As are the Michelin CrossClimate, although they are not cheap:

or for dedicated Winter tyres, the Goodyear Ultragrip Gen1:

or the Continental Wintercontact TS860 came out at or near the top in the Winter tyres review on that review site linked to above:

The Michelin Alpin A4 also gets good reviews, it seems:

I'm running the PremiumContact2 (a Summer tyre) on the missus' car and am very impressed, so I would hope the 5 version would be even better if you want to stick with dedicated Summer tyres:

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member

Nah they're just a sport tyre for the road, just happen to be good in the wet on track.

toyo.jpg

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5

Rainsport 3 are generally reported as being great in inclement conditions, albeit not a dedicated All Season or Winter tyre:

And you can get V-rated versions (so higher speed versions) for about a quid more:

It looks like there may even be a Rainsport 5 version now, which I wasn't aware of:

Other options could be Continental AllSeasonContact for All Season tyres:

which seem to be well reviewed:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/7-of-the-best-all-season-tyres-for-2018.htm

As are the Michelin CrossClimate, although they are not cheap:

or for dedicated Winter tyres, the Goodyear Ultragrip Gen1:

or the Continental Wintercontact TS860 came out at or near the top in the Winter tyres review on that review site linked to above:

The Michelin Alpin A4 also gets good reviews, it seems:

I'm running the PremiumContact2 (a Summer tyre) on the missus' car and am very impressed, so I would hope the 5 version would be even better if you want to stick with dedicated Summer tyres:

Some good options there, cheers :)

Looking hers are H rated, older Contis, so will gem up on the one above.

Always the same issue trying to find a good all year round tyre, but then again a set of new tyres will be better than what she has :)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Some good options there, cheers :)

Looking hers are H rated, older Contis, so will gem up on the one above.

Always the same issue trying to find a good all year round tyre, but then again a set of new tyres will be better than what she has :)
H rating is for upto 130mph so as long as she keeps her speed under ~125 most of the time, I'm sure she'll be alright :LOL: