ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Tyres

Do you use winter tyres

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
For those that use them, when did you switch back to your normal tyres? Jan/Feb time?

Tempted to buy some.

I'm just planning on seeing what happens. If it's heat waves and BBQ weather in Jan, I'll swap back. If it's cold wet and miserable through til March, I'll leave them on.

For those that use them, when did you switch back to your normal tyres? Jan/Feb time?

Tempted to buy some.

I'll probably put my summer rubber back on around April or May time. It really depends where I am in Europe (for logistical reasons), and what the weather is like. You can use winter tyres all year round so it's not critical.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
How does it work in countries where it's law? Do the government set a date when tyres become compulsory? Then a date when you change back to summers?

Generally I will refit summer tyres as soon as practically possible. The softer sidewalls make the front-end response seem noticeably more lazy for performance driving, so as soon as the temperatures are consistently up into the tens or early teens, I will aim to swap back to regular tyres.

As an aside, my winter tyres are also a fair bit quieter than the summers, which is an added bonus for cruising.

How does it work in countries where it's law? Do the government set a date when tyres become compulsory? Then a date when you change back to summers?

Yesh. I don't believe there is legislation for refitting summer tyres, just a calendar period where winters must be fitted.

Last edited:
  M135i, 118 coupe

Germany is generally October to feb/march but I there is no snow or ice you can get away with it.

If you have an accident you aren't covered or holding up traffic due to wheels spinning is a 80euro fine

The winter tyres wear quicker above 7c don't they Roy?

They do but summers wear a lot more in temps below 7. The compound hardens up even more and is prone to chunks (I'll specify that this is relative for the idiots who will think I mean whole tread blocks) tearing off rather than them wearing progressively.

The winter tyres wear quicker above 7c don't they Roy?

Yeah in theory I guess they do mate. Stands to reason given the far softer compound.

I have already noticed reduced traction in my car as the temps are falling over the last week (remember it's 375% FWD so perhaps an ideal example). Looking forward to getting my super grippy winter rubber fitted. Confidence and security in the cold & wet FTW!

Swift Sport
I never expected the thread to turn out like this.

...Lies, actually I did.

My mate said that I should wait a bit before fitting my winter tyres, too warm atm apparently.

^^I have been putting it off for over a month due to the unseasonably warm weather we have been having here. This coming week I will swap over for sure.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
So you've bought winter tyres despite the weather being too warm?

I see.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I can't resist. I'm going on a breakdown in a minute so you'll be free of my (poor) trolling.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'm surprised you waited on an accident to change your views/ perceptions of winter tyres after working on the continent for quite a bit.

I've spoken to a few people now who have used winter tyres for years and they all got to that point after travelling/working on the cold continent.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I don't understand why this thread is 18 pages long.. surely it boils down to

1) Winter tyres are great for winter
2) The only real reason for not getting them is expense of tyres and another set of wheels, and a place to store your summer wheels

One post, IIRC, would be enough

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I don't understand why this thread is 18 pages long.. surely it boils down to

1) Winter tyres are great for winter
2) The only real reason for not getting them is expense of tyres and another set of wheels, and a place to store your summer wheels

One post, IIRC, would be enough

It's not. It's only 7.

PB Clio 172
i think a few of us have missed the point with winter tyres, they are designed to be used in lower temps. If its 6ft of snow you wouldnt drive, simple and they are not snow tyres. If we wanted that we would use chains ! :p

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I still don't understand why you would want to continually load up pages.

Max posts per page ftw!

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
My last words on the topic (unless I get sucked in again);

All season tyre users- I wish you the best of luck.
Winter tyre users- I wish you the best of luck that the aforementioned road users don't slide into you whilst they 'drive to the conditions'.