ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Tyres

Do you use winter tyres

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Settings > General Settings > Scroll down > Number of posts per page > Scroll down and save.

You can even change back to the Blue forum colour if you are a loser and dont like Christmas.

172, Tiguan
All go in here isn't it? Talking of which, my 255/35's didn't 'go' very well this morning, so tomorrow it'll be rocking 195/65's!

image_84076.jpg

What happens if you get to destination save in your car step out and break your neck. Does anyone own these Geniune question.

My work have given them out to help prevent near misses & incidents.

It would be interesting to see some real independent scientific research showing whether they're worth while or not for UK conditions.

Personally I doubt it is cold enough for long enough for them to be worth it statistically, especially in the South.

It would be interesting to see some real independent scientific research showing whether they're worth while or not for UK conditions.

SRS?

Firstly, the evidence is readily available all over the internet. Secondly, do you think tyre manufacturers design winter variants for a laugh?

LOL at that video. Anyone still not convinced after seeing that needs their head read.

172, Tiguan
My thorough scientific test will be thus:

If I can get off the drive this year they work.

SRS?

Firstly, the evidence is readily available all over the internet. Secondly, do you think tyre manufacturers design winter variants for a laugh?

LOL at that video. Anyone still not convinced after seeing that needs their head read.

I'm talking about not whether the tyres are better in the right conditions but whether those conditions are present for long enough in this country to make it worthwhile.

Tyre manufacturers make tyres to make money, not because they want to save the world. There is a lot of hype about winter tyres but very little evidence about reductions in accident numbers.

There is evidence everywhere that they are far safer. Plus it's wet and/or less than 7 degrees here for quite a while. Also, they develop winter tyres because they are needed. If they weren't needed, they would just sell summer tyres. It's not like a marketing conspiracy.

There is evidence everywhere that they are far safer. Plus it's wet and/or less than 7 degrees here for quite a while. Also, they develop winter tyres because they are needed. If they weren't needed, they would just sell summer tyres. It's not like a marketing conspiracy.

Them being safer doesn't necessarily mean there are less accidents or serious injuries. With things like this you can get weird effects statistically like people don't slow down as much in bad whether because they know have winter tyres.

Is it really wet and/or less than 7 degrees often enough? That's what I'd like to see an analysis of?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Them being safer doesn't necessarily mean there are less accidents or serious injuries. With things like this you can get weird effects statistically like people don't slow down as much in bad whether because they know have winter tyres.

Is it really wet and/or less than 7 degrees often enough? That's what I'd like to see an analysis of?

You can't allow for retardedness mate if they drive quicker in the conditions they deserve to crash. Same with 4x4 drivers. They seem to think their 4x4 system helps brake better in 6 inches of snow.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It is more complicated than that though. You would need to look at temperatures during rush hour (or whenever most driving is done) rather than over the whole day. You would also probably want to look at the modal average rather than the mean.

It doesn't matter what temperature it is. In the morning it's cold and frosty in the depths of winter even without snow, therefore winter tyre > summer tyres.

Far south you might never need them. I stay in Scotland. It's been frosty since the middle of November. I also mwork in the Body Repair Industry and I can tell you winter tyres are always a better option.

Red
Yep I'm with Gally it's frosty up her for nigh on 4 months. Anything that's a little to stop me ending up in hedges I'm all for.

£400 for a set of winters that last 3-4 years or £400 a year more on insurance after a claim? I know where my coin is going.

You can analyse statistics all day long, it won't change the fact that they are designed for winter. They work. I have first hand experience, and they appear to defy the laws of physics. Who cares if there are less accidents or more accidents due to the use of winter tyres? Such numbers would be impossible to quantify anyway.

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
I'll be running PS3 and have snow socks in boot. But was very close to buying a set of winter tyres

Winter tyres, but last year i was ok until i got stuck on my parents drive!! Thats with a 328 sport.

Same happened to me on Christmas morning in parents farm yard lol. Made all way there through snow no problem then that happened xD

It is more complicated than that though. You would need to look at temperatures during rush hour (or whenever most driving is done) rather than over the whole day. You would also probably want to look at the modal average rather than the mean.

Are you on crack? Lol. Do you own a jacket or are you holding off pending a detailed report from the met office and then comparing it with a chart plotting when you're likely to leave the house?

Students basically need to learn how to differentiate between their study and RL. Lol at discussing the types of mathematics which must be used to calculate statistics, which can then be used to determine if winter tyres work.

Are you on crack? Lol. Do you own a jacket or are you holding off pending a detailed report from the met office and then comparing it with a chart plotting when you're likely to leave the house?

The point is you don't really know whether your winter tyres are really worthwhile or not. You just think you know.

You don't have any evidence other than winter tyres work better in cold temps, standing water, snow etc. You don't know whether you encounter enough of those conditions to make your tyres worthwhile or whether you're really actually putting yourselves and others at risk, except when we have extreme weather.

But I can see you and Roy have now moved to abuse rather than discussion.

Set of used but still 5mm + tread for around £100 vs wingin' it.

Wing it? Right?

They might not be super effective on snow, but you'll at least still be benefitting from the softer compound. Definitely better than any premium summer tyre.

CBR1K, F21 125D
I was thinking of just using two bags of table salt infront of the front wheels with small holes in, thus creating a salt trail for me to follow.. then my R888' with 5psi in would be fine.

I was thinking of just using two bags of table salt infront of the front wheels with small holes in, thus creating a salt trail for me to follow.. then my R888' with 5psi in would be fine.

When you think about it, you don't actually know if the R888s would cause anymore accidents during the winter. I mean where are the statistics showing deaths related to using slick tyres on snow?