ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What is it with 172 cup prices?

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Their not "rare". If you decided tomorrow you wanted to buy a standard Cup you could find one no problems on the usual classifieds.

Now try finding a complete unchaved ph1 with original oz's by comparison and you'd be struggling.

Was only last year Cups were priced around 1 - 1.5k.

My post was firmly tongue in cheek mate. I only ever had a £1250 shitter!

Clio 172 2003
Advertising for strong money is one thing, but selling it is another.
Top statement,I'm new here,having just bought a 172.
I've never seen a bigger difference in cars advertised price,compared to what it actually changes hands for,they are great cars for sure,hard to find more speed for the cash,but there does not seem to be an accepted benchmark on price,takes time to understand as a Renault-sport newbie.

Renault Clio 172 Cup
I love my 172 Cup, I have owned it for 2 years now and I'm considering having the wheels refurbished and other cosmetic bits done as even though I bought it to be a fun trackday car, I don't want to sell it anytime soon. Although, I have to say, the only things about the Cup I prefer over the Trophy are the colour and the reduced weight. I owned a Trophy back in 2006-2007 and the combination of the chassis and the seats made it feel like a much more resolved and stable car. You could throw the Trophy into corners at a ludicrous speed and would rarely experience understeer and it just felt completely on your side. I got a bit of a shock when I first took the Cup for a proper drive and had to do a bit of recovering after exiting a corner I know well, it actually reminds me more of the 205 GTi I used to have than the Trophy. I also found it much twitchier and with less outright grip when I took it to Brands. It definitely takes a bit more skill and bravery to drive it on the limit. I love the lack of ABS and TC though, you don't need either on a dry road/track.
I really want to keep the Cup standard but I can't help thinking with the Sachs dampers and some nice Recaro Trendlines or similar/better it would be the perfect MK2 RS Clio. The best power/weight with the best chassis, in arguably the best colour. I never loved the Capsicum (Tomato Soup) Red.

Somnambulist

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
@MiseryStreak I've just gone from a Trophy to a 172 Cup. Didn't really like the Recaros that much, useless on track. I've bought a pair of Corbeau Club Sport seats for £300, and ordered BC Racing fully adjustable coilovers (£770) which'll probably be better than the Sachs too, and won't cost £500-600 to refurb every few years. Freed up a big chunk of cash to spend elsewhere, so happy days! Don't get me wrong, I loved the Trophy to bits but I don't think they justify the premium unless the buyer is a purist that'll only ever keep a car standard.

Renault Clio 172 Cup
That's good to know. I realise that there are better options out there than the Sachs, they were developed over 10 years ago after all, but they just nailed the set up for road driving so perfectly with the Trophy. I had an ITR afterwards that was better in many respects but it just didn't replicate the grin factor of cornering in the Trophy. I actually think it's the strange combination of sitting too high and the front heavy, three wheeled cornering stance that made it so much fun, it just felt like you were cheating physics around dry roundabouts. I noticed a big drop in grip when the PE2's started to wear out. Maybe I should invest in some decent tyres before attributing too much to the Trophy's chassis.

So I would happily go for a tried and tested aftermarket spring/damper option if it can get closer to the Trophy feeling!

I remember somebody recommending the Corbeau's before. It would make a huge difference to be sitting on something that felt like it was connected to the floor pan rather than a blancmange in the next town.

I was stuck on the M25 on Tuesday when it was 34 degrees and I had a long sleeve shirt and jeans on, that was the first time I missed the air con in the Trophy too!

Somnambulist

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Tyres will make a hell of a difference – when I bought my Trophy I think it had 3 different brands on it! Needless to say a fresh set of PS3s sorted out the handling. I see you're in Brighton, if you're ever up in Kent you'll be more than welcome to have a go in mine to see how the suspension feels. The Corbeau's are brilliant, haven't used them on a long journey yet but they just hold you in and are an absolute bargain for what they are. Haha yes, the lack of aircon was the only thing that put me off the 172, but I decided I could live with it (or without it).

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
@MiseryStreak I've just gone from a Trophy to a 172 Cup. Didn't really like the Recaros that much, useless on track. I've bought a pair of Corbeau Club Sport seats for £300, and ordered BC Racing fully adjustable coilovers (£770) which'll probably be better than the Sachs too, and won't cost £500-600 to refurb every few years. Freed up a big chunk of cash to spend elsewhere, so happy days! Don't get me wrong, I loved the Trophy to bits but I don't think they justify the premium unless the buyer is a purist that'll only ever keep a car standard.
Were you driving back through Tunbridge Wells yesterday evening (Wednesday) as I spotted a Cup which matches your description. Looked nice if it was. I was in my shed daily DCI.

Somnambulist

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Nope wasn't me @cjgower, I haven't been driving the car much yet as I'm focusing on getting the car prepped and ready for track. Should be finished and ready end of next week. Hoping there'll be some more South East meets though soon so I can meet some more likeminded Clio owners in the area!

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
The 172 Cup has certainly faired better than the 172 FF model in terms of desirability -

If you have one under 70k with FSH & a decent belt change - in semi mint condition then its worth £3k all day long.
If your under 50k with all of the above then mid 3s is good-

Whats hard is making a mid 3s car a £5k car because it has to be stand out mint. Like dawns -
Im not sure on the other one - I didnt really look in detail- but theres no harm in aiming high -

182s are the same. To buy a mint one is still £4k ( or £4k to get it mint ) -
A RB 182 or LY 182 under 50k will still sell for £5k.....

S

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
They have to be all original though like this

image.jpg

Renault Clio 172 Cup
If you have one under 70k with FSH & a decent belt change - in semi mint condition then its worth £3k all day long.

Well mine is on 69,500ish and had a full major service inc. gearbox and all belts at Rentech 3,000 miles ago, the day after I bought it. But, it would never get £3K as it needs the front and rear bumpers respraying (no cracks just scuffs), wheels refurbishing and the bonnet looks like an extremely fat seagull has been tap dancing on it. If I got all that done then maybe, as it's been garaged its whole life, hasn't a spot of rust anywhere and the interior is pretty tidy. It's got a Snappy steering wheel too.

I wonder if in 10 or 20 years time the 172 Cup might be worth more than the Trophy, as the age difference between 2002 and 2005 will be insignificant and it's harder to lop 70kg from the weight of a Trophy and lose the ABS (impossible even if you want to pass the MOT) than it is to fit decent dampers and seats to a Cup. With the rate of attrition of Cups too, there will less on the road than the 200 or so Trophy's that'll be left. Although my beloved 298/500 went to France and was wrecked by a hit and run cockwand in a Z4:
http://www.cliotrophy.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/41714-298/page5
image-3becc71.jpg

Made me feel sick digging up that image, yuck.

RB182cup&golf gti
That's good to know Steve. My RB cup still hasn't reached 23k miles, owned from new and mint. Was going to sell last year when bought my golf, but can't bring myself to do it. Such a great car.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
The 172 cup and the 182 trophy will always be the ones to have.
The cup of course being one of the last cars with out abs etc and the trophy for its trick dampers.
Most 172 cups have been made into "track cars" by driving heroes who spend thousands on mods but don't change the Cambelt so plenty have gone pop.
I'd say a mint 172 cup in original condition is worth 4-5k all day.

Bought mine yesterday for 1700, 61k on the clock.. Decent price I reckon car is very clean but does have a few small scratches on paint work.. 😢

Hope it's not going to cost me too much to get these sorted.

RB 182 FF
To be fair it is a super mint example. So by definition quite rare and probably reasonable to want a premium for it, when selling its what a car is worth to you. The one thing I noticed which I don't get is rear de-wipering of cars..... The Clio is the worst car I've owned for rear visibility in shitty rainy conditions, no rear wiper would be a massive irritant to me......

clio 172 cup
I sold mine recently for 6k with 53k miles, it was not far off concours condition, nigh on standard and original paint,and to me it was worth every penny as examples such as the one I sold are incredibly rare and will only go up in value.

I had it for 6 years, a big shame I couldn't hold onto it, unfortunately I couldn't find anywhere to store the car.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Lol I am on here you know! Each to their own isn't it? Im keeping the cup, every time I try to sell it I just can't.

It's too good to sell. I'm a woman after all

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Lol!!! Will be back up for sale in a month :yum:

You say you want to keep it, but by lowering the price is it just that you are not getting any interest?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Looks better In pictures imo. Used to be one local to me a few years back.
I was so close to ordering mine in petrol blue. The ID Paint cost though was just too much at the time - 10% of the new car's value!
I thought there were a lot less PB's made against that list above, too? I thought it was only around a dozen?

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Lol!!! Will be back up for sale in a month :yum:

You say you want to keep it, but by lowering the price is it just that you are not getting any interest?

Ha ha! No I'm going to lay the cup up once I collect the Trophy. I did have abit of interest, but I just can't part with it. It's just too bloody good a car to let go

Ragnotti & R5 Alpine
Montenegro didnt exist as an independent Russians' holiday paradise when the Cup was a new car.
You need some classes from history ... Montenegro is independent from 2006 likenit was before 1918. Also, now it's British people then Russian here .