ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 F4R'd Track Car Project [2010 Winter Rebuild]

Back of the garage still wrapped up from when they came back from the powdercoaters lol. They aint got any tyres on them yet, so going to be running with the williams wheels for a while!

DCi 100

Put it on axle stands while doing the engine and put the wheels on to see? :)

Put it on axle stands while doing the engine and put the wheels on to see? :)

IMG_7814.jpg

They will make an appearance as soon as they have tyres again :cool:

DCi 100

Aye! But fresh paint + them being clean for once will have to be photo'd.

Well the engines back in etc, although had to lend two driveshafts to get it built up as both of mine are f*cked it seems :(

Drivers seat and a few other bits done, windscreen in the morning then will try and run it hopefully.

Hope to have it driving by Tuesday morning, and just have odds and ends to tidy up. The big word being hope lol.

Well as im at NWperformance on tuesday i was gona pop round for a nosey :)

Cant wait to see it now its all been done :)

I might be popping down to get the tracking sorted if ive got everything else done and ready, if not il be doing it by eye for now and adjusting it on the day lol.

If not il be around most of the day I think

Discs judder much?

Well i aint drove it yet ;)

Track valver + Ibiza FR

Give me ashout if you need a hand, I'm about monday and tuesday doing bits for mine so i'll see what I can do. It'll be done by tuesday knowing your efforts, ebery last minute and by the skin of your teeth!

ValverInBits

Good luck getting it to the track day mate. Hope you make it

Started on the first turn of the key this morning - just got a million other things to sort now and I may just about make it

Well what a f*cking joke, I really have no idea why I bother with this car anymore.

A few hours ago, everything done and ready to go...

DSC00638copy.jpg

Went to start it up to take it for a little test to check the gear linkage etc, and back comes the game of lets not start and just keep cranking.

Wired the engine up this morning first thing, started first time. Started a further 15+ times after that throughout the day, on the key every time without issue. So I continued fitting everything else that was left, so it was 100% ready to drive. Then it just decides to not start? Absolutely f*cking unbelieveable.

Anyway - so checked all the fuses, all fine. Swapped all the relays, fine too. Then, I thought its just exactly what happened previously with the ECU/Emulator - So I borrowed a known working 172 ECU (From another Mk1 conversion), still nothing. Cranks and cranks and cranks and... you get the idea.

Decided to swap my emulator over to my spare, which is 100% known working after Andrew Cooke repaired it for me - still nothing. By this point quite some time has passed and its 10pm, fourth 12+ hour day in a row and Im just beginning to not give a f*ck.

Tried a brand new crank sensor, and rotated the ECUs - still nothing. Tried my spare known working coilpack, again nothing. Checked everything thats f*cking checkable, all the connectors/sensors/plugs - crank crank crank and just does not start. Oh, its getting fuel to the rail too, priming and cranking.

Gutted is a f*cking understatement - its times like this I wonder if it was acctually worth wasting 4 days trying to get the car built and ready, for it to just simply fail at the very last minute?

M

mini-valver

Are any cylinders sparking? Pulled a plug out, earth and crank etc?

Didn't bother checking, but Im pretty sure there is no spark. IIRC from when I was wiring it up the coil pack and injectors run through the injector relay which unlocks then the ECU triggers it (pending immobiliser being deactivated)...I don't think the injectors are firing and in turn nor the coilpack... I tried the second coilpack (off a working car) to no avail...

At the end of the day it could be any of the 100+ wires that have been done, even though I checked ALL the joints before heatshrinking...all 100% new wire too - and its been running fine numerous times today. I really dont get it at all.

M

mini-valver

Remember when mine did it? f**king peice of s**t.

Yeah, this has done it about 5 times before too. Standard wiring / ECU = fu*king w*nk!

Last time it was the emulator, so a different one fixed it. Time before that it was an 'unknown', I used a different loom and it worked again for a bit. Sighhhhhhhhhhhh.

M

mini-valver

I pulled the VEMS loom to bits, found a break in a wire, a stuck relay and the pin to the coilpack connector pushed upwards. All at once. Woot? LOL!

Isnt the ECU just ran from a single (black small) relay?

Fuel pump is priming and running which is controlled by the ECU...if the relay was buggered wouldn't that mean the pump wouldn't run or prime?

I dont have a UCH and the Immob is disabled/emulating on all three ECU's, two which are known working 110%, 3rd one is pretty much 100% - none of them start it

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep

Know how you feel I've had numerous issues with mine starting over the last few months. It's so frustrating been through a crank sensor and two starter motors.

ITB'd MK1

Isnt the ECU just ran from a single (black small) relay?

Fuel pump is priming and running which is controlled by the ECU...if the relay was buggered wouldn't that mean the pump wouldn't run or prime?

i think fuel pump prime is fired separately. See if it runs under cranking

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

whats the chances of the new TDC sensor being faulty? slim chance but just remembers me of fault finding on a 1.2 16v that wouldnt run right at all, stuck a new coil pack on it and it still wouldnt run right then done plugs etc etc and eventually by chance tried ANOTHER new coil pack to find the first "new" one was faulty!

TrackCar & F30 330d

Oh dear, isnt Oulton today? Hope it randomly started for you this morning

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184

did you get it working in the end and did you make it to oulton

Oh dear, isnt Oulton today? Hope it randomly started for you this morning

Believe it or not, I went out at 7am and it started first time - although it chugged to f*ck on idle and just didnt seem to want to run properly. Took it round the block and something just didnt feel right, so I didnt take it to oulton. Didnt want to get there and it not start again meaning id wasted a day...just went up as a passenger for the day instead.

did you get it working in the end and did you make it to oulton

As above it started first time, and just started again when I got home. Random as f*ck but I dont trust it at all now, I need to find out what caused it and what the problem is with the idle when initially starting up...

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184

gutting mate. did you try it with those red leads you got of me, i never tested them. they could be breaking up

Yeah, they're on - all seem fine!

Starting issue lies with wiring somewhere IMO, like it started dozens of times yesterday and then all of a sudden 10 mins later it would not start...then its fired up 3/4 times today without an issue - so so wierd.

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184

defiantly strange. if you want you can borrow my loom to see if it works with that(and test it for me lol). to see if its a problem with the loom, which it kind sounds like.

i know this is a long shot but have yo checked the interior loom to see if its a problem with that.

Could be the interior loom also yep, mine is a one off loom now (wont match up with yours or Adams loom, was going to try his last night)...ive no idea at all where to start with it though lol!