ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 F4R'd Track Car Project [2010 Winter Rebuild]

Ah, I ran the column lowered by 10mm last year, which I think was one of the main things that put more stress on the original mount. So basically I made the new mount to that height, so it should be just where it was last year. I also straightened it slightly angle wise, so its not pointing diagonally any more.

With regards to the PAS rack, I stripped one down last year. The manual and PAS variants differ by quite a bit, as fluid is pumped around the pinion and associated bearings on a PAS one, where it isnt on a manual rack. The bearing is much larger and 'open', along with having holes in the pinion for fluid to pass in and out I think...

IMG_7954.jpg

All I did was remove the pinion gear from my rack, pack the inner with grease and blanked off all the holes for the pipework. Was fine all last year and hopefully will carry on touch wood! :)

Right then... plenty done, few more bits and pieces to weld, mainly blanking plates for the strut bars etc and a strut brace across inside the scuttle area. Those will probably be finished by the end of the week and then I can get it back home...

Upper and Lower strut bars done...

IMG_9725.jpg

Steering Column and Key Barrel Moved...

IMG_9731.jpg

IMG_9743.jpg

Seat Bars + Harness Eyelets in place...

IMG_9751.jpg

IMG_9734.jpg

Windscreen Gussets Done...

IMG_9728.jpg

IMG_9732.jpg

IMG_9723.jpg

IMG_9750.jpg

More soon! :)

Shitty french tin with huge gaps between the cage and shell, lol.

Hopefully ready for paint over the weekend, depending on the weather etc as once its back here its gona be covered up due to not having a screen etc. But still, lots and lots to do.

Passenger side front wheel/hub bearing is f*cked and has collapsed, as we found out when we were struggling to push it round the yard and needed the use of the quad to move the car. Need to replace that, time the engine back up, fit the new clutch and should be good to go if the painting goes well lol.

You found out what that leak was near the sump gasket? I've got a similar leak which I thought was the cam cover seal which has now been replaced... still I see oil dripping!

/Shed.

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184

that look fooking awesome mate.

thats going to be one stiff chassis. and are you accepting bets on when you crack a windscreen. lol

I think the previous ones have only cracked due to flex in the chassis around the cage, hopefully the gussets will tie everything together enough to keep it in one piece. If I have to buy another windscreen after this one im not going to be impressed, will just have to use some clingfilm or something tbh!

I think the previous ones have only cracked due to flex in the chassis around the cage, hopefully the gussets will tie everything together enough to keep it in one piece. If I have to buy another windscreen after this one im not going to be impressed, will just have to use some clingfilm or something tbh!

Rigfilm™ IIRC.

Upto much friday early evening wilky? Im not upto much if you're free il come down with the timing tools etc...

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184

Upto much friday early evening wilky? Im not upto much if you're free il come down with the timing tools etc...

yeah mate anytime i'm off all week. just give us a bell.

also have you tried you windscreen wipers mechanism with the strut bars

Yeah, checked that before deciding to drill the bulkhead and go through with it, just fits. Plenty of room behind the motor too, around 4 inches, so enough space to put a bar between them both as a brace..

I dont know the other Marks surname, or I would have used it!

Turret gun, yeah why not! Only stuntin' 50mm swaged holes at the bottom, not that big lol.

ValverInBits

Is that epic warefare-spec sump gaurd going back on too? was it 3 or 5mm? Love it.

Cheers for the powdercoat PM, I can't find anyone that cheap down here, so I'm just going to cover the subframe in underseal. Spose I should dig out my project thread and update sometime lol.

Lol, ive been waiting for more updates!

The sump guard wont fit where the nuts have been welded on this subframe so if I want one il have to make another one - ive still got some of that metal left though so thats all good, lol.

Welding is nearly complete, both seats have been mounted in and im happy with it - just a few last bits to sort tomorrow hopefully.

In the meantime ive been collecting new parts, something which I did not really want to be having to do but ive not really got an option :( Picked up some of the bits this week, others need to be paid for over the coming week - New Cambelt, Dephaser Pulley, Clutch Kit, Oil Filter, Spark Plugs, New Alternator, New Headgasket (See below), New Thermostat, New Aux Belt, 2 x Front Bearings and the list goes on...sigh.

IMG_9762.jpg

I had stripped the engine down originally to check it over, as I wanted to re-seal the rocker cover anyway and swap the thermostat housing over. I also saw a bit of an oil leak to the front of the block between the head, on the flywheel end - as if it was leaking from between the headgasket. Anyway, decided to take the head off...

IMG_9755.jpg

Hmmmm yummy, no idea where that is from - wasnt anything like it the last time the head was off...

IMG_9756.jpg

Dissapointingly there were no signs of leaking on the gasket itself in the location that I thought the leak was coming from :( Cleaned up the head and block faces anyway...

IMG_9758.jpg

Checked the head over and left the old plugs in, quick leakdown test...

IMG_9760.jpg

30 mins later all fine so just left it at that. Will hopefully build it back up over the next few days once ive picked up a new headgasket and a few other bits.

Took the angle grinder to the column before and cut it off completely, as I wasnt 100% happy with the position left-to-right with the seat mounted in place - came out easy enough (ish lol).

Spent a few hours making a new set of column mounts that are now fully removable (bolt on bolt off) and just as solid, position is good too. Bringing it home tommorow so will have some proper pics then, although my hopes of interior paint before Oulton are fading away - just not got enough time I dont think :(

DCi 100

You seem down atm dude, don't let some paint and complications let everything overcome you though.

Get it running and have a play at Oulton, after all it's still a work in progress eh? I want a passenger lap or 2 anyways so you have to go on. :approve:

Mk1 F4R

The welding on the car is looking good as i was down there helping out before
column looks spot on now :approve:

Apparently the guy said its from an Espace Diesel - I had my valver one with me at the time and checked every dimension - 100% the same!

Garunteed, If you had of let me come down, let me use your vice and welded up my Rigbelt™ I would of stayed and helped you get things done...

I replied to you saying - Ive done enough Rigging today and Im stressed out to f*ck with all this car sh*te today - Did you not get it lol?

I replied to you saying - Ive done enough Rigging today and Im stressed out to f*ck with all this car sh*te today - Did you not get it lol?

Never got it lol did you get my picture message? It said message failed so I will PM you with it or post it in here for you to have a look at.

Cars back, although managed to f*ck a driveshaft in the process :(

IMG_9798.jpg

'Strut Brace' and strut bar holes/gaps plated over...

IMG_9805.jpg

IMG_9796.jpg

IMG_9797.jpg

IMG_9799.jpg

Floor plates welded over, since sealed over the top which will be sanded flat before paint...

IMG_9786.jpg

Seat bars and tabs...

IMG_9779.jpg

IMG_9773.jpg

As mentioned yesterday the steering column was removed as I wasnt happy with the position.

So - started with some inch round bar, 3mm wall. Tapped an M12 nut into the end of two pieces and TIG welded them into place - then ground the ends flush. Made up two 'tabs' which would be welded to the column itself, and drilled two 12mm holes in those.

Last job was to make another bar to stop any up/down movement, used the bender to bend it to an angle, and created a little tab for another bolt to go through which was going to be on the back of the bulkhead bar. Put it on the back so the clocks could still be mounted as they were last year.

Got the seat bolted in, column and wheel in the position I wanted and just welded the thing solid to the bulkhead bar (which is luckily 2.6mm wall CDS), along with a few 6mm gussets to stop any left/right movement. Added a small support to the back of the up/down brace too.

IMG_9781.jpg

IMG_9770.jpg

IMG_9789.jpg

Couple of M12 bolts and washers later - one removable column mount. Easily just as solid as the previous design, and the position is perfect now. May not look as pretty, but function over form TBH, and none of it is seen as the clocks are in the way :)

More soon.

Last edited:
  Charged Superleggera

foxy thats looking great mate. keep up the good work.

After days and days of sanding and hoovering, its ready for paint which is happening this weekend. Thanks to Adam and Sim for helping out over the few days, would have taken 10x longer otherwise lol.

IMG_9814.jpg

IMG_9816.jpg

Original seat bars now fully gone...

IMG_9817.jpg

IMG_9824.jpg

IMG_9819.jpg

IMG_9823.jpg

Just got to trailer it down the road later to be painted now. Can hopefully crack on with getting the engine built back up ready to go in over the weekend inbetween painting, and have it running (ish) mid-week... Oultons only 12 days away!

CLIO PH1 172

epic little car and allot of hard work by the looks of it, as above what colour though??