ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 F4R'd Track Car Project [2010 Winter Rebuild]

Cheers. Yeah hopefully just getting everything covered, its one thing thats p*ssed me off over the last year with the interior, hopefully it wont have to be touched again now and the paint will stay on!

182cup & 172 racecar

Good work,it does get you down every now and then I had the same trouble with ours,Jay stopped me from burning on the M40 one night after a very stressful day.

Yeah - I was so p*ssed of with it over winter so sat around and did nothing to it for 3 months lol. Had two weeks of sun now and done more in that time than the past 3 months of snow!

12 days!! s**t ... i best get my brakes sorted!

you going to be up and running? :rasp:

Well, it went for paint yesterday evening, should have it back soon...

Engine built up today, few bits to do then its ready to drop in once I have the car back... All thats left after that is to wire the car up - still quite a lot to do lol.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.

Be one of the best mk1's on the forum once its sorted! Hope everything goes smoothly with the engine install etc, from reading your threads I know it wont lol!

Of course it will, done it too many times now!

Checked the head over before building it up, then used new headgasket, newer dephaser pulley, new cambelt, mostly new everything - nothing should be wrong with it!

Installing it is the easiest bit ;)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

when's the deadline for everything to be sorted for?

Need it running and driving by next weekend ideally. Once ive got the shell back its just bolting everything together which should go smoothly, then Oultons on Wednesday 28th

All built up near enough ready to go in - New Headgasket, Cambelt, Newer Dephaser Pulley etc. Just waiting on all the mounts/covers coming back from the powdercoaters, which does not really matter yet as the shell isnt back. Inlet manifold was re-sprayed and exhaust manifold re-sealed too.

IMG_9862.jpg

IMG_9857.jpg

IMG_9858.jpg

Mk1 Clio F4R'd

Looking good, where have you put the coil pack then?

Wish i had the ability to take mine out and give it a good going over. At NW tommorow if your there

Might try and break it at oulton, excuse to get it sorted.

Looking good as always!!!

Looking good, where have you put the coil pack then?

Made a bracket to go on the front of the head above the thermostat housing, but its off with the rest of the stuff getting powdercoated

Wish i had the ability to take mine out and give it a good going over. At NW tommorow if your there

Might try and break it at oulton, excuse to get it sorted.

Looking good as always!!!

Nah I wont be there, sold the run-a-bout today - so I need to get the clio built back up once I have the shell back lol.

Powdercoated stuff is only coming back Thursday so engine cant to back in until at least then, lol.

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184

looking good.

i really want to chop my coil bracket of but haven't got bottle to do it.lol

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184

i like angle grinders:evil: i mainly can't be arsed with sorting a another plate for coil pack.

i probably do it once i get the engine in

Nah, thats (another) new one. Took it back after comparing it too my old belt and another new belt someone else had - all the same numbers + codes, but the one I had was 15mm ish shorter, very very odd.

Took it back, swapped it...got home and it was on within 10 seconds, joke!

ValverInBits

Nah, thats (another) new one. Took it back after comparing it too my old belt and another new belt someone else had - all the same numbers + codes, but the one I had was 15mm ish shorter, very very odd.

Took it back, swapped it...got home and it was on within 10 seconds, joke!

wow. That is strange. Says something about production tollerances eh!

Cant wait to see the shell!

Unfortunately only got use of the trailer on friday evening now - The cars painted and finished, just needs bringing home.

Work starts Saturday I guess, enough time to do it before Oulton I wonder? :boring:

Unfortunately only got use of the trailer on friday evening now - The cars painted and finished, just needs bringing home.

Work starts Saturday I guess, enough time to do it before Oulton I wonder? :boring:

Doing a few late night shifts on the car then? oh and annoying the neighbours again and them complaining the area isn't a scrapyard :rasp: lol

JDM Dc2

ill be happy to help sunday and monday/tuesday night if you need a hand with anything!

Mk1 F4R

+1 but i can only do nights lol im free sat :approve: get most of it crashed off

Work starts Saturday I guess, enough time to do it before Oulton I wonder?

Ermmmmmmmmm, I doubt it now acctually.

I was supposed to be picking up all my stuff from the powdercoaters today, which were the cam side cover, ALL the engine mounts and my alternator brackets - but after having them a week already they are still not done and will only be ready on tuesday. Absolute joke!

TrackCar & F30 330d

Oh no thats no good. Sounds like the engine is going in last minuite now

Mk1 F4R

I have a spare set of side covers you can lend till when ever mate, black too :D

Trailered the shell back last night - so cracked on today. Started at 9am as the windscreen fitter was supposed to be coming, but once again (seems to be all the norm these past few days) I was let down and he didnt show up. He phoned me and said he can only make monday now.

Anyway - I had a couple of issues that needed to be sorted first, the main one being the N/S hub bearing was completely shot, and needed replacing. Because of this, my N/S disk was completely knackered, as this was all that was holding the wheel in place and rubbing against the caliper.

Luckily Bloooooooooooor came to the rescue and donated me another pair of Brembo HC's to put on :)

This is how the car came back last night...

IMG_9882.jpg

IMG_9884.jpg

IMG_9888.jpg

Started by fitting the pedalbox and master cylinder, then the gear shifter and linkage...

IMG_9906.jpg

IMG_9894.jpg

Better picture of the removable column mount now its all painted up. Two side supports and one rear support...

IMG_9885.jpg

IMG_9892.jpg

Then we carried on and fitted the doors/bootlid/rear windows...

IMG_9912.jpg

IMG_9917.jpg

IMG_9910.jpg

Also stripped the top mounts down and re-painted the strut tops...

IMG_9915.jpg

Went on to fit the other set of Gaz Adjustable Rear Shocks that I got off Whiteley earlier in the year, then loads of other little bits that had been removed.

As you will know if you have been following the thread I removed the tailpipe of my backbox earlier last year and replaced it with a piece of 2.25" straight cut pipe...

th_IMG_7612.jpg
th_IMG_7614.jpg
th_IMG_7618.jpg

th_IMG_7646.jpg
th_IMG_7721.jpg
th_IMG_7698.jpg

A few months ago I decided to trim it down slightly, but ended up f*cking up the cut and it was wonky. So the plan was to cut it off and put a fresh piece of pipe on - which is what was done. Although, I've replaced it with 2.5" this time.

Fitted the downpipe, center section and backbox so thats all ready for the engine to just be connected to. Also picked up a new exhaust gasket/downpipe kit.

IMG_9922.jpg

Last job was to remove the f*cked passenger hub as mentioned at the start of the post. Took it off and ran it down to get the bearing pressed in. Got hold of a bearing quite cheap from GSF - Cheers Maynard if you read this, I managed to get it for only £1 more than you quoted me, but I just went and picked it up to save messing with delivery etc. I still need the other bits off you, so il give you a call sometime soon.

IMG_9921.jpg

Got home around 8pm and fitted the hub back to the car, along with the two donated Brembo HC's (Cheers again Bloooooooooooor). That took me to around 12 hours, and now im well and truly knackered, lol.

Cheers to Adam for the help today and running me around getting the bearing pressed etc, just bring my bl**dy engine crane back so I can put the engine in tomorrow ;)

More soon!