ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

225 Coupe/ RS Megane DCI
Re: Mk1 F4R'd Track Car Project [2010 Winter Rebuild]

I feel your pain, it always is a simple fix, but at least you found the problem and didn't just put it down to the loom.

All sorted! Fully re-wired from fresh, everything is now working and its fully driving :)

IMG_0295.jpg

Re-located fusebox behind the clocks, nice and tidy now when the dash top is back on - cant see any of it :)

IMG_0297.jpg

Engine back back to normal...

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

Better photos and proper update soon!

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member

Mint!! Can't wait to see it with the seats etc back in!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

nice one, glad you've sorted it :)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

I really do love this car, even with all the probs you've faced I reckon you do too! ;)

Cro

Meg'd r27

Yeoooooooooooooooo, well done Jord. Just don't f*ck it up again :rasp:

R26

Love this car alot dude, all the hard work youve put into it really shows :)

Your own fault for buying a sh*t one that was split before I even fitted it

TrackCar & F30 330d

Well done mate, good its all up and running, Its a good feeling to eventually fix an annoying problem :)

Mint!! Can't wait to see it with the seats etc back in!

Will post a few pics in the next couple of days, pretty much has everything bolted back on now.

nice one, glad you've sorted it :)

looks spot on ron

I really do love this car, even with all the probs you've faced I reckon you do too! ;)

Yeoooooooooooooooo, well done Jord. Just don't f*ck it up again :rasp:

Love this car alot dude, all the hard work youve put into it really shows :)

Well done mate, good its all up and running, Its a good feeling to eventually fix an annoying problem :)

Just been having a read through the thread; very impressive :)

Cheers for the comments!

Onto the next problem... lol.

My N/S driveshaft thread (that the hub nut goes onto) has always been f*cked, and its always been a pain to get the nut on/off it. I considered cutting a few threads off the end of the shaft to make a fresh and hope it would be OK, but instead managed to get a scrap driveshaft from Whiteley that had a decent thread on the end...

Great I thought, il just swap the CV onto my shaft and all will be well. After speaking to Matteh, he showed me a picture of a Williams Driveshaft Outer CV Joint, and the circlip that holds it together...

DSC00027.jpg

To which I assumed a 172 shaft would be the same, so I got most of the grease off the 172 shaft but could not see a circlip in sight. By this point I was covered in grease and gave up...anyone removed the outer CV from a 172 shaft before?

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

All that work and your gearknob's still loose! ;)

Looks awesome mate.

Only original thing still left on the car really, special feature :rasp:

Got a new shifter mechanism to fit when I get around to it, just need to source the right size rose-joint for the underside yet!

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184

glad its all sort now, i was worrying for a bit that it was those leads.

alien green rs133

172 cv joint iirc. it has an internal clip, just brae it with a copper lump hammer :D

Apparently some of them had a circlip that was the same, but ive not had chance to have another look yet...

Few proper pics from earlier now its mostly rebuilt...

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

Nearly hidden most of the wiring/boxes - fusebox gone from the passenger underside as mentioned earlier. One or two small boxes left to hide then its all tidy :)

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

More updates soon!

'92 172, Lotus Elise

very odd about that cv joint!

I can't imagine renault would make you replace the entire shaft if the cv joint goes!!... then again...

Well I had a PM from Andrew Cooke and hes bought a replacement 172 CV, and he said it didnt seem to come with a circlip I think, and it was just possibly a push fitment?!

Well I had a PM from Andrew Cooke and hes bought a replacement 172 CV, and he said it didnt seem to come with a circlip I think, and it was just possibly a push fitment?!

indeed, unfortunately it's the wrong CV... however the machining detail looks similar to yours and I still think it's a case of selecting the correct sized hammer....

Focus ST-2

I do like this car a lot, seems strange not seeing it much at meets anymore!

CLIO PH1 172

looks stunning i love this car so much works gone in and it really does show!!!!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

Amazing pics. Can't believe how much it's changed.

Just awesome mate, a credit to you. It's come a long way since Bricktek kicked in.

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti

looking good, tho cant believe your still using the awful standard steering wheel, that was the 1st thing to go in the bin when i got mine

looking good, tho cant believe your still using the awful standard steering wheel, that was the 1st thing to go in the bin when i got mine

Had a new one here for the past 6 months with a weld on-pop off boss, but just not had chance to get it tigged onto the column yet!

Does look awesome, still been following this from day 1, and followed the 1.2 before that!

Not tempted by some protection for the footwells? When I had mine stripped I went straight through the paint and it looked s**t after a short while!

172 Race Car

Fire extinguiser, battery cutout, Numbers, ARDS test and RACE!

Looks great mate, well done

Does look awesome, still been following this from day 1, and followed the 1.2 before that!

Not tempted by some protection for the footwells? When I had mine stripped I went straight through the paint and it looked s**t after a short while!

Grip-tape on the way at some point! Also still got to add padding to the cage and a few other things to tidy up etc.

Gorgeous. What have you done fan/de-mist wise?

Was taken out end of 2008, never had anything really - any bad bad rain and its not driven. Light rain isnt bad if the windows are open, hasnt steamed up really - only one session in late november at Oulton. I keep meaning to sort something but just have not got round to it yet!

Fire extinguiser, battery cutout, Numbers, ARDS test and RACE!

Looks great mate, well done

+ More money lol, not just yet...

Have you still got that Cup master cylinder by any chance?

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172

truely epic project! well worth all the effort you've put in!