ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just renewed the insurance for another year. £599 all in. Not the cheapest quote I had, but it's via a friend of a friend so I know I'm in good hands should the worst happen. They also have track day cover as an add on and full Nurburgring cover should I take the car back there.

Not yet mate no. They were having some issues with the dyno when I dropped the car off but I believe these have finally been sorted now.

I've arranged to collect it on Saturday 21st. So still two weeks to get it done properly yet. I won't be using it until Friday the 27th now anyway.

It also gives Alex W plenty of time to sort out my wiring mess.

Sitting fresh the day after Kyle had detailed it.

iPhone6%20053_zpsszpvm7ws.jpg

Couple of pictures I found from one of the Brands trackdays last summer.

14917552641_b54e53155e_o_zpsje9tqotp.jpg

14744895668_4cf14b289f_o_zpsdsyfxtfq.jpg

14930469265_c759c7c79e_o_zpsaas44s8f.jpg

14926951161_3aae833636_o_zpsf53tqnwe.jpg

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Photos are very cool mate. What you said about the rear arb made me realise why my car doesn't handle like the old one........now purchased!

Ring cover sounds like a brilliant addition. That was the biggest concern when I went.

Photos are very cool mate. What you said about the rear arb made me realise why my car doesn't handle like the old one........now purchased!

Ring cover sounds like a brilliant addition. That was the biggest concern when I went.

What did I say about it? :blush:

Ring cover is a must for me, just not worth the risk and worry. I paid up for it massively when I went before but I wouldn't have felt comfortable taking the car on there otherwise. It's not the damage to my car that worries me that much, it's the third party risk.

Right, just heard back from Engine Dynamics and could need a bit of help guys.

Basically Andy has gone to start on the map today, only to find out that there is a pin lock on the OMEX!!! I wasn't aware of this at all and have no idea why it would be on there.

I've sent a post over to Mike Woodford on the Facebook group and tagged him. So hopefully he can get back to me with an answer as soon as possible.

But in the mean time, Andy mentioned about getting some base files, just in case he needs to start from scratch.

So does anyone know anyone with the same modifications as me who might have a base map they can send over? Would be a MASSIVE help and something to fall back on. 421 cat cams, Jenvey ITBs, OMEX 600. I do remember someone mentioning this before so I'm off to try and search for that post now too.

EDIT: Just found that @mark123 offered to help me before :smile:

If anyone else has any ideas or can help then please get in touch.

Cheers

Last edited:
Not yet. The ECU has been locked with a pin. Andy at ED has confirmed this. It can only have been locked by the previous mapper. I've spoken to Woodford though and he says he 'never locks ECUs'

Woodford said he'll send me a base map though so that Andy can wipe the ECU and have a starting point rather than starting from scratch. This wouldn't have been a problem if time wasn't an issue. But when given the car I told Andy the car had been mapped and just needed optimising especially the top end and cold starts. Now he's potentially got a lot more work to get it done in the very tight time window.

@mark123 has also very kindly sent me two map files for ITB cars. So hopefully Andy will have something to work with now. Rather than starting from complete scratch. Cheers again Mark.

The car might have been fully mapped and ready by now if it wasn't for this bloody Pin issue. There's always something to set you back!!

Right, whilst I don't have the car to play around with I thought I should start to order a few small things.

I need to sort out some shims to bring my rear toe and camber more in line. This is what I'm working with at the moment... I'll also be going to 10 minutes toe out on the front axle when I have the tracking done next.

AbbeyGeo_zpsvj2tsfkf.jpg

What I'm thinking is a 3mm shim for the left rear camber. To make it -1.46 degrees. Which would bring it more inline with the right rear at -1.51 degrees.

Then ideally a 1.5mm shim for the right rear to bring the toe back out a bit. That would make it 20 minutes toe in this side and 19 minutes toe in on the left side. (which would be perfect) However I'm not sure I'll be able to find a 1.5mm shim 😞 so I may have to settle for a 1mm one (If they even do these). Which would make it 25 minutes toe in this side.

My OCD doesn't like the fact that it's never going to be perfect but it's obviously very very small differences.

Am I right in what I'm thinking @NorthloopCup or am I missing the mark somewhere here? A 3mm shim and a 1mm shim almost seems so minimal that it's not worth doing, or do I have my measurements wrong?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Get the Pure Motorsport shims, they're marked in minutes not mm, so it's easy to work out.

They do 10, 20, 30 minute shims for toe. So just stick a 20 on the right side so you end up with 19 left and 15 right.

I've just bought a 20 minute shim as mine is pretty much like yours on the rear.

Get the Pure Motorsport shims, they're marked in minutes not mm, so it's easy to work out.

They do 10, 20, 30 minute shims for toe. So just stick a 20 on the right side so you end up with 19 left and 15 right.

I've just bought a 20 minute shim as mine is pretty much like yours on the rear.

Confirms what I was thinking cheers.

I'd want a 15 minute shim ideally to keep the rear end 'safer'. Although I'm not sure the difference would even be noticeable?

I'd want a 30 minute shim for the camber on the left side then too right? To make it -1 degree and 46 minutes.

Saying that I have been trying to source the 5min metal Renault shims to bring my rear in line to the other, currently each side is slightly different, and yes it would notice (on track).

That's 0.5mm? Interesting, never would have thought that would be noticeable, cheers. Let me know if you come across a 15 minute shim :up:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Right, whilst I don't have the car to play around with I thought I should start to order a few small things.

I need to sort out some shims to bring my rear toe and camber more in line. This is what I'm working with at the moment... I'll also be going to 10 minutes toe out on the front axle when I have the tracking done next.

AbbeyGeo_zpsvj2tsfkf.jpg

What I'm thinking is a 3mm shim for the left rear camber. To make it -1.46 degrees. Which would bring it more inline with the right rear at -1.51 degrees.

Then ideally a 1.5mm shim for the right rear to bring the toe back out a bit. That would make it 20 minutes toe in this side and 19 minutes toe in on the left side. (which would be perfect) However I'm not sure I'll be able to find a 1.5mm shim 😞 so I may have to settle for a 1mm one (If they even do these). Which would make it 25 minutes toe in this side.

My OCD doesn't like the fact that it's never going to be perfect but it's obviously very very small differences.

Am I right in what I'm thinking @NorthloopCup or am I missing the mark somewhere here? A 3mm shim and a 1mm shim almost seems so minimal that it's not worth doing, or do I have my measurements wrong?
Sorry mate only just seen this. Notifications are a bit hit and miss for some reason.

Any updates on the mapping Martin?

I've not had an update for a few days.

But I spoke to Andy @Engine Dynamics on Monday about map files. I sent him over another base map file, this time for my actual car, and he said he was going to make a start on it yesterday (Thursday). I'll give him a shout on Monday to see how things are going. I pick the car up next Saturday (21st).

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Booked any brands sessions for the summer yet mate? I just got a 172 cup to take on track this year so would be good to see you up there.

Martin, reading this is making me want to spend a fortune on mine!!!
Wish I had your budget!

It's been a long and slow progress build believe it or not. Started over 3 years ago and it's still not done now :laughing: Some of the modifications took me quite a while to save up for. ITBs and Coilovers especially. I also got a decent pay out from the third party insurance for the accident which helped!

I also changed my hobby from going out and getting drunk every weekend, to doing track days. This has also saved me a lot of money surprisingly.

Mapping Update

I spoke to Andy at @Engine Dynamics last night. He said the mapping is almost complete and that the car has gained in most place, including around 5 BHP at top end. There's a little bit of tidying up to do still, but he said we are still good for collection at the weekend :grinning:

I'm really looking forward to getting the car back with a map that's finally complete, and not having to let off at over 100 MPH.

I don't know any power figures just yet, but this isn't that important to me. I was never chasing figures and we all know that N/A tuning doesn't give you much back anyway! I just wanted it to drive well and most importantly, be reliable/safe.

Sitting patiently in the workshop:
iPhone6%20224_zps6prlj3dx.jpg

On the rollers:

iPhone6%20227_zps75z5lyyo.jpg

Good stuff Martin!

Hopefully this will make all the hard times worth it :smile:

Although now I have no chance keeping up at Bedford haha

You'll be looking cooler though in the RB :tonguewink:

I've got to push a new proper rad to the top of my priority list now though. There was a slight leak on the dyno :fearscream: Luckily it happened there and not on track. More info on that to follow.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Just renewed the insurance for another year. £599 all in. Not the cheapest quote I had, but it's via a friend of a friend so I know I'm in good hands should the worst happen. They also have track day cover as an add on and full Nurburgring cover should I take the car back there.

Ouch. Who is this with, if you don't mind me asking? And is it on limited mileage?

PM me if you want, but I renewed with Greenlight (including optional daily track cover) and all mods declared to 260bhp at the fly. Two years no claims, 32 years old. 7500 miles, £329.

Glad to see it will all be sorted for Bedford :smile:

Ouch. Who is this with, if you don't mind me asking? And is it on limited mileage?

PM me if you want, but I renewed with Greenlight (including optional daily track cover) and all mods declared to 260bhp at the fly. Two years no claims, 32 years old. 7500 miles, £329.

Glad to see it will all be sorted for Bedford :smile:

I thought it was my minimal NCB which was the issue for me. Only have 3 years now. But you have even less. I'm 26 though and do live in Croydon which probably adds things up a bit too.

Renewed with Keith Michaels. All mods declared and optional track day cover including 'Ring cover. No 'agreed value' though, just market value on the car and like for like on replacement modifications.