ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Had a great day on the car yesterday, and the sun was shining.

Good old @AlexW came down to take the gearbox out for me. He managed (with a tiny bit of help from myself) to remove the subframe and everything around it, then get the gearbox out in just two hours. That was with us faffing around and chatting too, not even going for it.

When I was looking at the pile of parts on my lawn I couldn't believe it had only been a couple of hours.

He also removed the entire steering rack and column, as well as the PAS reservoir and pipework. I've decided that now the subframe is off, I need to go for EPAS. I've never driven a car on EPAS but having read a lot about it and spoken to a few people it definitely seems the way to go. It would make no sense putting it all back together and then doing an EPAS conversion at a later date. So Alex is going to help me sort out and fit all this too.

He also made a start on cutting some of the air bag wires out and we removed everything from the scuttle panel to get rid of the old air con pipework. I was very happy upon finding the three sound deadening patches in there, so I quickly removed them too (weight saving yo).

I also have a suspicion now that Alex is not human, he does not drink or eat anything! Even when stuff is basically put under his nose 😂

I've also bought Porkies old gripper'd gearbox, collecting it this Saturday. So that adds to my excitement.

Stuff I need to sort out before Alex returns:
Pick up Gripper gearbox from Essex
Remove the decat, heat shield and the old gear stick setup (ready for the PMS one to go in)
Tidy up the tar residue from the sound deadening patches (need to buy some more tar remover)
Refit the heater box and blower
Refit all the scuttle panel plastics and wind screen wipers
Powder coat a few parts
Paint a few parts
Zinc coat a box of nuts and bolts

Only picture I took because I didn't want to get my greasy hands on my phone. It's looking very empty under there now!

iPhone6%20308_zpsptgmmmbo.jpg

Greasy hand on your iphone? stop being a tart Martin.

Good effort on the box removal, I was tempted to pop over actually, but didn't have my CBA vest for the Croydon badlands ;) So you went for the Gripper in the end, glad it went to a good home.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
You did it! Good to see it all come out so quickly. I had to throw a mars bar in Alex's car once to make sure he didn't die. Don't buy the EPAS rack I want or I'll be very very sad.

How longs it going to be like this mate? Once this coursework is out the way I'm a bit more free until April to lend an 'and. Are you reloacting the airbag ecu or keeping the gearstick surround?

edit: got beaten to it on the phone comment!

Many.
I'll never die from lack of food. TBH it is forum reputation I have.

I plan to get back down to Martins in two weeks time, to at least get some more done, probably another couple of days after that too!
You'll have to pop down sometime Graham :)

Airbag ECU (And all its wiring) is being removed enitrely, properly (obviously!), already removed the dash LED's.

Greasy hand on your iphone? stop being a tart Martin.

Good effort on the box removal, I was tempted to pop over actually, but didn't have my CBA vest for the Croydon badlands :wink: So you went for the Gripper in the end, glad it went to a good home.

Got to keep the new phone fresh for at least a while!

You should have popped over mate. Although you do have a lot to crack on with yourself I guess.

Yeah man, I thought I told you!? I thought it would be silly to turn down this opportunity!

You did it! Good to see it all come out so quickly. I had to throw a mars bar in Alex's car once to make sure he didn't die. Don't buy the EPAS rack I want or I'll be very very sad.

How longs it going to be like this mate? Once this coursework is out the way I'm a bit more free until April to lend an 'and. Are you reloacting the airbag ecu or keeping the gearstick surround?

edit: got beaten to it on the phone comment!

It'll probably be like this for a month or so. I think the biggest hold back will be trying to source and sort the ePAS setup.

I'm in no rush though. It'll be nice to do a proper job on it all now. And then be done with it all for good so I can enjoy it all summer. Rather than rush to get it together now and then go back and do bits later.

I'll give you a shout when Alex comes back down to see if you're free :up:

Gear stick surround? The plastic trim? That's long gone from the car haha!

I'll never die from lack of food. TBH it is forum reputation I have.

I plan to get back down to Martins in two weeks time, to at least get some more done, probably another couple of days after that too!
You'll have to pop down sometime Graham :smile:

Airbag ECU (And all its wiring) is being removed enitrely, properly (obviously!), already removed the dash LED's.

Getting excited thinking about it all!!

I'll make sure I have a supply of mini cheddars next time :tongueclosed:

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
@AlexW Stop arranging dates when my fair lady is up! Would like to see the removal of the airbag ECU as I've got only a couple of wires coming out of mine now but don't want to screw up the last little bit before I even get to drive the thing.

@Martin. Best to get everything done when it's in pieces. Yeah do mate. Glad that's gone!

Have you already got a cup alternator set up? BTW I'm going for a DCI rack now to save weight.....

Many.
Misses or Clio? Pfft.

TBF, I'd keep it on yours so you keep dash lights working correctly. With Martins it makes sense to remove it due to otherlights thanks to OMEX.
Just relocate it up behind dash.

@AlexW Stop arranging dates when my fair lady is up! Would like to see the removal of the airbag ECU as I've got only a couple of wires coming out of mine now but don't want to screw up the last little bit before I even get to drive the thing.

@Martin. Best to get everything done when it's in pieces. Yeah do mate. Glad that's gone!

Have you already got a cup alternator set up? BTW I'm going for a DCI rack now to save weight.....

I don't have a cup alt setup. This is a topic in discussion now. Whether or not to just buy the PMS PAS delete kit and leave it all be. Or whether to go for the cup setup, which is stronger and neater. Only issue is, my alternator was brand new when I fitted it, so seems a shame to remove that and get a potentially cruddy cup alternator.

I'd go cup setup, mines buller proof & simple as. Plus 5pk belt

I'm running a looped rack on mine, wouldn't mind changing it though!

That would have been ideal, but annoying I've not long bought a brand new alternator! Seems a lot of money just to change a setup over form one to another.

Planning on running a looped rack on mine too :)

Many.
You know my feelings really. I prefer the Cup setup (Not saying theres anything wrong with the PMS setup), when going EPAS.

My only slight consern is over the Alternator pulley, due to the lightweight pulley kit. I'm sure we could figure it out/speak to PMS.

You know my feelings really. I prefer the Cup setup (Not saying theres anything wrong with the PMS setup), when going EPAS.

My only slight consern is over the Alternator pulley, due to the lightweight pulley kit. I'm sure we could figure it out/speak to PMS.

Indeed.

Do mean as to whether the PMS pulley will fit and work with the cup setup as well as my setup?

172 Cup alternator brackets purchased from Ebay.
Brand new 172 Cup alternator sorted from Renault.
New genuine steering rack bushes sorted from Renault.
Gripper gearbox collected from @Porkie
EPAS wiring kit ordered from Ebay.
EPAS column sorted from a friend of @AlexW

Still need the mounting bolts for the Cup alternator brackets. Thankfully Alex thinks he has this sorted.
Still need to clean up the subframe, powdercoat a few bits and zinc coat some nuts/bolts.

Update

It's been a very busy past couple of weeks for me. When the weather has allowed, Alex has been down on three separate occasions to help me get the car back on the road. Yesterday we finally got the bulk of the work done and out of the way. There are only little bits left now so one more days work and it should be good to fire up and test. In between visits I have been doing a lot of refurbing and ordering various parts.

I've got a couple of things to sort out before Alex comes back though. Mainly the near side drive shaft. As it is still attached to the hub and coilover, trying to manoeuvre it into place was not an easy task. We just couldn't get it into the diff and at one point I was thinking 182 shafts must not be compatible with a 172 box/diff. A quick text to @BIGASH confirmed that Gripper diffs are made very tight and as expected we would have to remove the shaft from the hub to stand a chance. Not having a strong enough impact gun for the hub nut to hand meant that this would have to be left for another day. So I need to take the shaft/hub/coilover to my local mechanic to get the hub nut buzzed off.

Anyway here’s some pictures, I’ll let them do the talking.

Powder coated parts.
iPhone6%20433_zpsvbohjohd.jpg

Zinc coated nuts and bolts. (A couple came out funky, so @Ant_Smiggy has sent me down a few to replace these)
iPhone6%20402_zpskz5m2eu0.jpg

I quickly removed the sound deadening in here whilst everything was out of the way.
iPhone6%20394_zpssr1oakr1.jpg

iPhone6%20395_zpsizbx8ukx.jpg

Graham also popped down one afternoon to help me remove the full dash, ready for Alex to work on the loom. We also removed the PAS pump, 182 alternator, PMS AC delete kit and then mock fitted the new 172 cup alternator brackets. After he left I also removed the standard gear stick and fitted the PMS one into place.
iPhone6%20408_zpsqod0t6du.jpg

The gearbox from @Porkie and subframe were cleaned up and painted ready for refitting.
iPhone6%20435_zps7rxqacyj.jpg

Alex sorted out the steering rack. He removed the PAS pipes and fitted some new rack bushes.
iPhone6%20436_zpsqkom0lmr.jpg

Everything went back on very smoothly, apart from one gearbox mount bolt. I've also refitted the hub, coilover and brakes since taking this photo.
iPhone6%20438_zpsru41fbuz.jpg

This side hasn't changed much, because of the drive shaft fitting issue. Once I get the hub nut buzzed off though it should all be back on in no time.
iPhone6%20439_zpsbpqy8ewr.jpg

Alex then removed interior loom and fitted the bottom half of the EPAS column.
iPhone6%20456_zps5yibuih8.jpg

He then made a start with trimming the loom down. Removing what he could easily and keeping it tidy.
iPhone6%20453_zps6dfkxavw.jpg

iPhone6%20455_zpsmkbmnm2s.jpg

The finished loom. Much tidier.
iPhone6%20458_zpszwtxzvxr.jpg

The pile of crap he removed. Yet to weigh it all but it's a huge pile.
iPhone6%20459_zpsb0nfprjr.jpg

That's it for the photos for now.

We also reffited the dash frame to hold the loom back in place. Alex then fitted the top half of the EPAS column and the EPAS ECU. Finally we fitted the PMS linkage, this just needs tweaking once we can put the circlip in place.

All that's left to do is:
Sort out a few bolts, a few for the alternator brackets and one for the steering rack.
Fit the near side drive shaft/hub/coilover.
Fit a pump to the 172 cup washer bottle.
Measure up the new aux belt length and source one.
Finish off the EPAS wiring and tidy up.
Two bungs for the steering rack.
Refit the full dash.
Tweak the PMS linkage.
Bit of tidying and a bit of painting.

I think that's it. Almost there. A massive thanks to @AlexW for all of his help. Also to @GrahamS for lending a hand one afternoon. Also to @sonny172cup @BIGASH for suggestions/advice over text.

Last edited:

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Brilliant work!

@AlexW cracks me up. Look at him happily sat on the lawn chopping loom apart like a kid at Christmas. Legend!

I managed to get him to eat once here. At the pub. He couldn't really not eat it as I just bought it and plonked it in front of him.

Brilliant work!

@AlexW cracks me up. Look at him happily sat on the lawn chopping loom apart like a kid at Christmas. Legend!

I managed to get him to eat once here. At the pub. He couldn't really not eat it as I just bought it and plonked it in front of him.

He was in his element. He got angry when I kept trying to talk to him.

I managed to feed him a bacon sandwich this time round. And a bag of mini cheddars, he likes those.

He doesn't like drinking though 😂

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Looks like you got a lot done yesterday. Summer is going to be so good. Belt should be 4/5pk847 if the lightweight pullys are the same diameter as the originals.

Did you find those sunglasses in the loom!

Looks like you got a lot done yesterday. Summer is going to be so good. Belt should be 4/5pk847 if the lightweight pullys are the same diameter as the originals.

Did you find those sunglasses in the loom!

Ah you know the length already? :smile:

Want to come and fit drive shaft and plastic windows with me on Sat lol?

Many.
Has been some properly good progress made in such a short time tbh.

Couple of bits... "Keeping it tidy", while the loom on the floor is a fooking mess.

Sideburns need to go too, I look like more of a hobo than usual.

I missed the sunglasses on that loom pic lol.

Has been some properly good progress made in such a short time tbh.

Couple of bits... "Keeping it tidy", while the loom on the floor is a fooking mess.

Sideburns need to go too, I look like more of a hobo than usual.

I missed the sunglasses on that loom pic lol.

Just chillin' haha

So close to getting it finished now......

Great progress there guys :smile:

Looking good Martin

Will defo have to blag a passenger ride next time as there is no chance at all of keeping up now a la Gripper'd box!

Getting there!

I'm at the mercy of Alex now though lol, and desperately waiting for him to come back down and finish the wiring!

I am looking forward to feeling what the Gripper can do though!