ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I thought it was my minimal NCB which was the issue for me. Only have 3 years now. But you have even less. I'm 26 though and do live in Croydon which probably adds things up a bit too.

Renewed with Keith Michaels. All mods declared and optional track day cover including 'Ring cover. No 'agreed value' though, just market value on the car and like for like on replacement modifications.

Yeah. The age and location may be more restrictive. Mine was agreed value at £7k.

Yeah. The age and location may be more restrictive. Mine was agreed value at £7k.

That's very decent if so mate. Did you not want the value any higher than that? I'd buy that car for £7k all day long if I was in the market for one!!

I've still got some 10mm spacers by the way mate, you said you were after some before. I've not used them and only want back what I paid if you do want them.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
That's very decent if so mate. Did you not want the value any higher than that? I'd buy that car for £7k all day long if i was looking!!

I've still got some 10mm spacers by the way mate, you said you were after some before. I've not used them and only wanted back what I paid if you do want them.

Wasn't sure on value - so just plumped for what I'd not cry too much over if the worst did happen!

If I do sell, you'll be first on the list then!

Brilliant timing on the 10mm spacers. I need them. Badly! Lol! Take it they'll work with stud / nut kit? If so, can you let me know price including postage and I can Paypal. PM me your paypal details. Ideally need then before Monday? Can meet to collect some point? :)

Wasn't sure on value - so just plumped for what I'd not cry too much over if the worst did happen!

If I do sell, you'll be first on the list then!

Brilliant timing on the 10mm spacers. I need them. Badly! Lol! Take it they'll work with stud / nut kit? If so, can you let me know price including postage and I can Paypal. PM me your paypal details. Ideally need then before Monday? Can meet to collect some point? :smile:

I was going to say I could bring to Bedford for you, but that's obviously no use if you need them now!

They're flat 10mm black spacers, originally from K-Tec. I trial fitted them to my car and they fitted fine with the PMS stud kit. I think the kit takes up to 13mm spacers from memory.

Are you specifically after 10mm or just anything around that size? With flat 10mm spacers you have to be careful when putting the wheels on as you don't have much of a hub lip left to rest the wheel on. I checked with Dan@SJM though and he said it's completely fine and you just need to do the wheel nuts up evenly.

Your welcome to swing by my house if you're near Croydon? Unfortunately I don't have any time at the minute though to drive any meet you anywhere.

EDIT: Better English.

Finished Mapping Update

Right, so as you all know, the car has been at Engine Dynamics for the last few weeks. It was booked in to get the map finished off once and for all. However when Andy plugged in the ECU he found out that a pin lock had been put onto it and the previous map file wasn't accessible. Which ultimately meant a lot more work for him, as he had to wipe the file and start from scratch. Thankfully I managed to source some base map files from friendly forum members, which saved a tiny bit of time.

The cold map on the car before hand was awful, the car often wouldn't start. Upon investigation ED (Engine Dynamics) found that the spark plugs were fouling so these were replaced for a fresh set.

There was also a little mishap when the car was on the dyno. There is a bung in the radiator, and the o-ring seal decided to split. Dumping about 2 litres of coolant all over the dyno. Thankfully this was noticed before any overheating occurred. But it stopped play for a couple of hours whilst Andy had to repair the rad and clean up the dyno. Although it was a pain for Andy, thankfully this happened whilst there, and not when I was on a trackday! The system was also drained, flushed and refilled with new coolant.

After a lot of work and lots of optimising the mapping was finally done. Andy managed to improve the map in most areas, including 5 BHP at the wheels at the top end. But still keeping it safe and reliable. The rev limit is only 7500 and there is a cold limiter at 4500 also.

So I set off last Saturday morning to collect the car. Had a good old chat with Andy on arrival, paid my bill and trailered the car home. It's now sitting ready for the first outing of the year at Bedford on Saturday.

Final peak numbers were 172.8 BHP at the wheels and 139.4 ft lbs. Engine Dynamics use ATW figures rather than ATF, simply because they mean more.

I'm not exactly sure what this converts to at the fly but I don't really care too much, I was never chasing numbers. Andy and Alex White have both mentioned it's a tickle over the 200 BHP mark.

So big thanks for Andy at @Engine Dynamics for all the work on the car. I can't wait to use and enjoy it properly from now on.

And a special shout out to @AlexW for sorting my dash lights (I no longer have a Christmas tree dash).

Split o-ring on the radiator bung:

IMG_3825_zpscrz5moib.jpg

IMG_3824_zpsxdo2zaaf.jpg

Power graph:

Clio%20182%20Map%20Engine%20Dynamics_zpsnneh6db4.png

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
FYI Martin mine was mapped on semi slicks with the pressure a bit low so on RS Tuning rollers is made 152 at the wheels and the printout said 184 at the flywheel. So then when I had mine mapped on the ITBs (with the same wheels and tyres) it made 172 at the wheels and that worked out as 208bhp using the same ratio. Whereas running road tyres at a higher pressure would give a higher ATW figure.

You can work out what the torque is too. Have you got a graph for it, and what tyres and pressures were you running?

FYI Martin mine was mapped on semi slicks with the pressure a bit low so on RS Tuning rollers is made 152 at the wheels and the printout said 184 at the flywheel. So then when I had mine mapped on the ITBs (with the same wheels and tyres) it made 172 at the wheels and that worked out as 208bhp using the same ratio. Whereas running road tyres at a higher pressure would give a higher ATW figure.

You can work out what the torque is too. Have you got a graph for it, and what tyres and pressures were you running?

Interesting thanks Tom.

I was running 15" Toyo R1Rs. Tyre pressures are 28.5 currently. What does that mean? ☺️

The only graph I've got is the one I've posted up there. Andy did say he could re print anything out if I wanted though.

Thats a shame about the rad plug, is it a Polo Rad, iv seen a few of those fail, so make sure you use a decent one.

It is mate. It's only temporary until I sort out a bigger one. But yet to look into that, and this one hasn't caused me any issues up until now.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Very similar tyres and pressures then. So if you use the same ratio mine came out with yours works out as 209bhp and 169lbft. Which is what I'd expect tbh considering you're on 421s

I would have dynoed the car with the tyre pressures you run on track hot. I.e operating temperature, as mentioned above.

Hmmmm I reckon due to the polo rads small size and the inadequate airflow meant that the rad was hotter than normal and the weakest point gave in i.e the rad bung.

Very similar tyres and pressures then. So if you use the same ratio mine came out with yours works out as 209bhp and 169lbft. Which is what I'd expect tbh considering you're on 421s

If it's something over 200 then I'm more than happy haha.

I was always guessing between 200 and 205 anyway.

Looking forward to seeing how well it drives on Saturday.

I would have dynoed the car with the tyre pressures you run on track hot. I.e operating temperature, as mentioned above.

Hmmmm I reckon due to the polo rads small size and the inadequate airflow meant that the rad was hotter than normal and the weakest point gave in i.e the rad bung.

I run about 28-29 psi hot on track. But that's with r888s. These tyres are my roads/wets.

Many.
Hai :)
The spark plugs were fouling due to the very rich map on cold idle, so thats obviously sorted now.

Pleasure to work on, and shall look forward to seeing it ragging around Bedford Saturday.

As some of you will already know I was at Bedford on Saturday. The car felt awesome and seemed to be going very well until the gearbox decided to give in. Luckily it was at a low speed and I was just changing into third gear. I put it in third and it popped out, instant reaction was to put my foot on the clutch and as I was slowing down put it back into second. It popped straight out again. I didn't want to keep trying just in case it caused any more damage so I rolled to a stop and waited to be towed into the car park.

@AlexW and many others came straight over and had a look. Alex took the car for a test drive around the car park and confirmed the gearbox had had it so I quickly started to plan my home. I passed my booking over to @Ant_Smiggy and he managed to get a couple of sessions in his 182, so the slot wasn't completely wasted.

A bit gutted I didn't get any time to wander around and meet people/look at the other cars. I was on the phone a lot to the RAC and in between calls I was out driving both of my mates Focus RSs, trying to make the most of my money.

Big thanks to all those who came over and offered opinions and suggestions. Especially to Alex for jumping in and having a proper feel of the box himself.

Also massive thanks to @Kelv for letting me use his Berlingo as a support vehicle and lugging 8 wheels and 4 tyres home for me.

New wheels and tyres were only sorted out the day before.

iPhone6%20234_zpsdzymzxup.jpg

First ones to arrive (I think) and parked up in the garages after changing over to the new wheels.

iPhone6%20241_zpsos6ciivq.jpg

The ride home...

iPhone6%20238_zpsowknrp89.jpg

iPhone6%20239_zpsl9uu8rqs.jpg

The RAC man was a proper legend. Well into his cars and we had a good chit chat all the way home. Stopped off at Toddington services to buy him a Costa coffee and bumped into @TheEvilGiraffe.

Also made him a proper coffee when we arrived at my house and gave him a note of the queens finest for drink money as a thanks.

The journey up the night before.

iPhone6%20235_zpswsp289qw.jpg

iPhone6%20236_zpsvygfspz4.jpg

If anyone has any photos or footage of any of these cars please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
As always Martin it's looking jolly good. Especially those figures at the wheels being what a standard one would put out at the fly!
Bummer about the gearbox though; could always be worse though :)

As always Martin it's looking jolly good. Especially those figures at the wheels being what a standard one would put out at the fly!
Bummer about the gearbox though; could always be worse though :smile:

Thanks bud. Yeah it could have been worse. It's just the hassle really. I've got to try and get the box out soon and also decide whether to buy another box on the side to get built up for a simple swap over, or to just get mine out and refurbish that.

Why didn't you come Bedford mate?

Many.
I'd get your box out, and rebuilt if its not too fucked, LSD at the same time.
Theres a chance of the box being screwed, it certainly doesn't make nice noises.

Is it an opportunity to diff the box, Martin?

I didn't want to spend anymore money on the car for some time (trying to save money for a house deposit). But it looks like this will be the plan now. Be silly not to whilst the box is out.

I'd get your box out, and rebuilt if its not too fucked, LSD at the same time.
Theres a chance of the box being screwed, it certainly doesn't make nice noises.

This is why I'm thinking it might be better to just sack that box off, get a second hand one built up on the side and do a straight swap over. Be much quicker that way.

Another question is, if I buy a second hand box and get it refurbished will it be as good as if I got my box refurbished? And therefore I wouldn't have to worry about losing my lower mileage one which is only on 44k... Or does that really not matter as both will be in the exact same end state anyway?

Last edited:
Gutted for you mate as mentioned before, did you find out why actually gave way in the box?

If your saving for a deposit for a house then just buy a second hand box plenty come up for less than £100, and it might last longer than the car. A refurb could cost more, renault put the price up on there selector rods think there about £150+vat each, so if their damaged then your looking at a lot of money.

Your looking at minimum £300 for a basic rebuild.

Mini GP2
Sorry to hear about the 'box matey; but at least it's going to be fully rebuilt and should last a long time....

Those FRS' look so bad boy.... love them.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Gutted for you mate as mentioned before, did you find out why actually gave way in the box?

If your saving for a deposit for a house then just buy a second hand box plenty come up for less than £100, and it might last longer than the car. A refurb could cost more, renault put the price up on there selector rods think there about £150+vat each, so if their damaged then your looking at a lot of money.

This is why I collect them. Have plenty of spares in stock that way. Lol!

I seem to have a disease where I just spend whatever I have saved, on cars. So I'm just trying to cure that a little bit haha.

There is always a car fund though. I'm a big believer of actually 'living' your life after losing my brother a year ago. I was just hoping the expenditure on the Clio had finished for a while.

I've got a late 172 non speedo drive box from Kelv. Will probably just get it rebuilt anyway for piece of mind, maybe with a LSD, in the hope that it won't cause me any problems for a long time to come, or waste any more track days.

As for what actually failed, I don't know just yet until the old box comes out.

Sorry to hear about the 'box matey; but at least it's going to be fully rebuilt and should last a long time....

Those FRS' look so bad boy.... love them.

Exactly mate, once it's done it should last a fair while without any problems.

They are both awesome cars. 400bhp each, the white one also has BC coilovers. It handled very well!

This is why I collect them. Have plenty of spares in stock that way. Lol!

Got any spares to sell should I need haha :wink:

love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cant wait to get mine and get it on the track and start messing on with it

Cheers mate. It's all good fun.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Thanks bud. Yeah it could have been worse. It's just the hassle really. I've got to try and get the box out soon and also decide whether to buy another box on the side to get built up for a simple swap over, or to just get mine out and refurbish that.

Why didn't you come Bedford mate?
I seem to have a disease where I just spend whatever I have saved, on cars.

Car is sorn at the mo until I go back to work in May/June; that's what the days start!! So stoked for the summer it's unreal.
I have the same disease. Do what I do and lock money away in p2p lending; really difficult to impulse spend it then. My student loan is not used for drinking like most students do. Car parts>hangover :D