ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I bought these to replace the worn standard Renault ones

iPhone5633_zps1e28c003.jpg

Got them fitted as soon as possible

IMG_3104_zpsvitsvcm8.jpg

That was everything done. So I put the wheels back on, booked a track day at Brands and took it to Abbey Motorsport the day before for a GEO setup

iPhone5693_zpsc6a4d840.jpg

I'm planning on buying a few shims for the rear, to even out the readings a bit, but nothing has been done since.

I loaded it up onto the trailer that evening ready for Brands the following day

iPhone5694_zpsb1346e22.jpg

Standard pit garage picture, looking purposeful

iPhone5695_zps0e589cf9.jpg

iPhone5696_zpsdd45f72a.jpg

My Recaro seats didn't sit as low as the previous Renault Sport ones did, and I wasn't 100% happy with the position. So I had some plans to improve it and set about making this happen by buying these.

10296703_10152057060186561_4754849162424417168_n_zpsgdrfhboe.jpg

I sent the car off for these to be welded in place and it came back looking like this

SeatMounts_zpsa8f448f6.jpg

So I made a start at removing the old seat rails, with a lot of help from the old man. He likes the angle grinder!

I also moved the battery into it's new position as there wouldn't be room for it under the seat anymore

SeatMounts1_zpsbc7915f4.jpg

The standard seat rails were finally out, so I temporarily moved my cut off switch next to the battery and wired it up

iPhone5799_zpsad879711.jpg

Gave it all a lick of satin black paint to tidy things up a bit

iPhone5810_zps82ebac89.jpg

Fitted my new Lifeline snap off boss to bring the wheel back with the seats. It wasn't cheap but it's a lovely bit of kit and will help with security when the car is parked up

iPhone5699_zpsbfabbeba.jpg

iPhone5698_zpsa1ad089b.jpg

Then booked it in for a track day at Snetterton.

iPhone5811_zpsa8710409.jpg

iPhone5812_zpsa4426723.jpg

Yet again it behaved very well. Unfortunately it was absolutely pissing down on this day though so I couldn't push on too much. I stayed on the road/wet wheels/tyres and unbolted the rear ARB to keep things softer and safer.

Last edited:
Not much happened for a few weeks as the weather was shocking, but when it dried up I nipped back out to give the inside of the car another lick of paint.

iPhone5800_zps8a5a9267.jpg

All the sound deadening patches are gone now from within the car, apart from the one shown on the floor, which I'm leaving be because I don't want to rub down or paint anymore.

Shortly after I picked these wheels up and trial fitted them. It was now my fourth set of wheels 😂

iPhone5802_zpseb73b4f9.jpg

iPhone5811_zps3a0c2589.jpg

iPhone5810_zps7b953a5e.jpg

iPhone5812_zpscc98ccb6.jpg

I was surprised how good white wheels look on a silver car. It almost looks like a cup racer

Last edited:
Almost getting up to speed. I forgot how many photos I had!

Anyway, when the weather allowed, good old Kyle came down to give the car a detail. The car looked clean enough as silver cars always do, but he couldn't believe the state of some of the panels.

iPhone6033_zps9ab0a830.jpg

iPhone6034_zps6cd64887.jpg

iPhone6035_zps2bc9ba01.jpg

iPhone6036_zps24ba89fe.jpg

iPhone6037_zps85e1ef43.jpg

iPhone6038_zps2e77dc0a.jpg

iPhone6039_zps145fe928.jpg

Big thanks to Kyle for coming down to Surrey to do this for me. It looked immaculate after he had spent the entire day on it!!

Got my third set of OZ F1s back from the powder coaters and stuck some new R888s on them. These were to be my new lairy track wheels

iPhone6047_zpsafaf47fe.jpg

New vs old

iPhone6048_zpsc2a889e5.jpg

Then I did something silly and bought two more sets of wheels. By this point I realised I had a serious problem and for a short period I owned 25 wheels for this car :fearscream::fearscream:

So I decided to sell two sets on. My original track wheels, the black F1s and my wet wheels, the anthracite F1s. Leaving me with the red F1s, the white 2118s and the two new sets of Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2s, one set in black one set in white.

I got my wet tyres, the Toyo R1Rs swapped over onto the black 1.2s and got them fitted.

iPhone6180_zps265d3e68.jpg

iPhone6181_zps39918d8a.jpg

Crap iPhone pictures, but that's how the car stands now and nothing has changed since. I'll be taking it to Engine Dynamics tomorrow morning though so watch this space :cool:

I also refitted the horns wrong and destroyed one on this test run. But @Kelv has kindly agreed to let me borrow his so I can work out how to reassemble it correctly. I'm hoping that it will still work with just one horn, but yet to try it out.

Wow! Very impressive bet it gives well on track! How low have you got your asts set? Front and rear

Thanks. Yeah it goes ok on track :smile: But the map has never been finished and optimised so I've not been able to fully enjoy the ITBs yet.

I'm not sure how to answer you about the height of the ASTs as there isn't a set height, they were adjusted by Abbey Motorsport until they were happy with how it was sitting as a whole. At some point I do intend on measuring each arch to the ground though so I have a reference point to compare to.

Nice to see all the work you've done to it! Best of luck with the mapping :smile: hopefully it'll make good numbers from the sounds of things so far.

Thanks. Fingers crossed.

Although it's not the number I'm that bothered about, I just want to know it's finished and done properly. I already know it goes well :tongueclosed:

When do the big brakes go on then? ;)

Reference your AST's. Next time it needs a geo is it worth getting it corner weighted properly? Might be able to ditch the abs then without locking up the NSF (unless it's wet at bedford again and you'll lock up both fronts haha)

When do the big brakes go on then? :wink:

Reference your AST's. Next time it needs a geo is it worth getting it corner weighted properly? Might be able to ditch the abs then without locking up the NSF (unless it's wet at bedford again and you'll lock up both fronts haha)

Corner weighting will be done once I've finished taking things out :cool:

Still got all the air bag and impact sensor wires to cut out. Still got the door looms to remove and the doors to skin. Most importantly I've still got the plastic windows to fit :tongueout:

Keeping the ABS for the time being though. Purely because I've never driven a car without it and I want my braking to be as good/safe as possible.

Oh and regarding the brakes. I'd love some blingy 4 pots, but I'm not spending anymore money on the car now. Need to get the love back and use it properly for a while. Plus the standard brakes are more than up to the task and I've never had a problem with them yet. They actually feel awesome on track.

Got some new CLRC6 pads to fit in soon too.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Crikey buddy I thought you'd done a load more to it than was up yesterday. You went billet flywheel in the end!!! They've changed the design of it; there didn't used to be the holes on the edge. RC6 will be amazing, my old rc5+ were fantastic, let alone the next step up.

Spend a couple of hundred and get some EPAS, really tops off the enhancement the flywheel brings and make it rev like a nutter.

Good plans mate

Just noticed from your fly wheel pics that yours is a slightly different design to mine, and mines also from Ktec.

Weird!

I noticed that actually. The design must have changed.

LOL at 25 wheels! I shared your addiction although I only ever got up to 22 wheels for my 172 Cup.

Looks very nice, no frills, purposeful. :up:

Cheers man. Just 17 wheels now haha thank god. Was running out of places to put them.

Crikey buddy I thought you'd done a load more to it than was up yesterday. You went billet flywheel in the end!!! They've changed the design of it; there didn't used to be the holes on the edge. RC6 will be amazing, my old rc5+ were fantastic, let alone the next step up.

Spend a couple of hundred and get some EPAS, really tops off the enhancement the flywheel brings and make it rev like a nutter.

Yeah man. I thought whilst it was all out I might as well get a billet fly to go with the new clutch. To be honest I can't even notice it.

Looking forward to trying out RC6s. To see how much better than DS2500s they are.

I'm not entirely sure about EPAS yet. Was thinking a manual rack from a dci (I think) might be a bit better for me? Maybe I need to try a car with each first to decide. Don't have any problem with mine though and it sounds like a lot of work above my skill level haha.

What rough numbers you hoping for bud? It will sound brilliant!

It does sound lovely ☺️

I'm hoping it will break the magic 200. It made 188 on SRR before the ITBs were fitted. It's now on advanced 421 cam timing and has the ITBs to go with it so it should hit 200. But to be honest I could not be told and I wouldn't mind. As long as it felt good and I knew it was safe to open up etc.

LYV6, 182, R5GTT
Wheyyyy he's finally got a thread up!

It makes me want to dust the cobwebs off my build thead!

Nice progress.

I can't believe we haven't managed to get out on track together! That can be a 2015 resolution for us lol

Wheyyyy he's finally got a thread up!

It makes me want to dust the cobwebs off my build thead!

Nice progress.

I can't believe we haven't managed to get out on track together! That can be a 2015 resolution for us lol

You should mate. I'm sure people would love to see it.

A couple of mentions for you in here:tonguewink:

Get your butt booked into bedford. I really want a passenger lap in the race car.

182, 205 1.9 GTI
Well you've just inspired me to do a lot more track days! Recently bought a rear ARB. Can't wait to fit it as I've only heard positive things about them

Clio 172 cup
You should mate. You'll love it. It's addictive.

A rear ARB is a decent bit of kit. Still use mine now. Stiffest setting in the dry and unbolted in the rain.
Hi, just joined this forum and read all through your build thread, a cracking read !!
Excuse my ignorance but how exactly does the whiteline ARB improve the handling? My 172 cup is standard at present.

Mini GP2
Loving this project.... looks so purposeful on the 2118's. Nice to its receiving a lot of TLC with the DA and wax :D

Hi, just joined this forum and read all through your build thread, a cracking read !!
Excuse my ignorance but how exactly does the whiteline ARB improve the handling? My 172 cup is standard at present.

Thanks for taking the time to read it buddy.

As people have basically said already. It stiffens up the rear end which gives better turn in. Definitly worth getting one if you use it on track.

If you are planning to start modifying I'd really recommend doing things step by step so you can feel the difference and benefit each part brings.

Loving this project.... looks so purposeful on the 2118's. Nice to its receiving a lot of TLC with the DA and wax :smiley:

Cheers man. Yeah it desperately needed a good clean up!!

The 2118s are going now though unfortunately. I've swapped them for another set of TD1.2 with my good mate.

I've got a white set of 1.2s though so at least the white look will be kind of staying!

Last edited:
  Clio 172 cup
Andy said they have a lot of work to catch up on, but if the car is left with them they can spend more time on it Inbetween other things. Especially for cold starting etc.[/QUOTE]
Hope all goes well, keep us updated !

CLIO 182
iPhone5194_zpsc2210c60.jpg

@Ant_Smiggy It appears I did have the battery under those seats. :blush:

So you did haha
I know about this day. A friend has already invited me along :) however it's a bit too far for me. I was hoping to go when it was being held at Silverstone but I understand they have just recently changed the venue and date.

Your car sounds like it needs a lot more work than mine at the minute haha!!

One of my good mates has just built a lovely race car and races in the 750MC championship. So I'm intending to go along to a few of the race meets with him this year to get a better flavour for it all.

It's a small world haha me and Andrew @Apg100 are very well aquatinted haha
Damn I wanted those seats haha
Glad you got a thread up, good to see it from the start to what it's become

They've gone to a good home now though :) and will be part of an proper mint build once it's done. Aye @Ant_Smiggy

They really have! Bloody love them! Spend more time cleaning them than sitting on them haha

The 2118s are going now though unfortunately. I've swapped them for another set of TD1.2 with my good mate.

Hell yeahhhh haha