ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Joah's - RB Cup Track Only - Target at least one year

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
Thought I would finally start a project thread.
I bought my RB Clio 3 years ago now and have been using it as my daily car for this time; I now have a company scheme car so this can now be my toy.

Anyway, this is what the Clio looked like for the first two years:
9728828b.jpg

Shocking photo...

Spec at this point was fairly standard, only some GAZ coilovers fitted and a panel filter.

I then decided to replace the 182 alloys with some 2118’s:
DSCF2141.jpg

DSCF2144.jpg

And also changed the wheel for this (due to melting):
1ab43f4e.jpg

I also had the belts done middle of last year, and all brakes replaced.

That then brings me up to the start of this year, where I have now spent a bit of money on it:

Firstly, I wanted to replace the crashy Gaz coilovers for something better, and at the time Danny had a good GB price on the Spax RSX coilovers, I liked the look of the combined rear damper/spring setup so opted for them, also at a similar point in time I purchased the Pure Motorsport top mounts and strut brace:

Previously had an OMP brace on there:
65cac8a5.jpg

So out with the old and in with the new.
95998957.jpg

ad76fc11.jpg

Then for the Spax:
Old vs new:
8b9c1157.jpg

4f27f413.jpg

e2fb6038.jpg

Really impressed so far with the spax, much more comfortable on the road than the Gaz, yet to test on track how they perform but I would imagine they will be good due to the level of adjustment in them.

I also picked up another set of 2118’s in black this time, with some spec2 tyres on them, so fitted these and setup the ride heights:
8e7f9e36.jpg

96baf2cc.jpg

0a7d897d.jpg

The white 2118s will have some worn RS2’s which I had in the garage soon, kept them for track days.

A few weekends ago I managed to finally get my corbeau seats in the car (have been sitting in the garage for 2 years!):
acb7f0fc.jpg

a1a30136.jpg

You can see I also replaced the dished wheel with a Sabelt one :approve:
d4461ff5.jpg

Finally to bring it up to date, I purchased Nick172Cup’s RS2 Xtra manifold last year, and this has been sitting in the garage as I have been collecting the necessary parts to be able to fit it, which I now think I have the majority, so firstly I fitted the new carbon bonnet I picked up from Chris205 on here, purchased because I needed aero catches fitted to get the manifold to fit:

390b7ee8.jpg

ffa66d1a.jpg

163fd356.jpg

That brings me up to how it stands now, hopefully this weekend I will be removing the slam panel, fitting the new rad/fan setup and the RS2 manifold, I’ll try and keep this up to date.

Thanks for looking.

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
Really like this! Different but still tasteful and most definetely purposeful!

Cheers that's hopefully how it turns out in the end.

Future plans are as follows:

1. Fit RS2 manifold and all associated parts (Rad/fan, engine mounts, manifold, new inlet gasket etc)
2. Fit pure motorsport AC delete purchased from bomber.
3. Replaced ball joints and track rod ends, then get the suspension fully setup and geo.
4. Fit some brake ducts and better pads
5. Looking into doing something slightly different with the manifold and extending the runner length further but depends on time and money, also if its possible at all. Then this will decide when I get the RS2 mapped.
6. Front bumper needs a repair/respray where I clipped a kerb (hense the mr.Bump plasters in the last photo ;)) and may get the bonnet resprayed at the same time.

Only slight issue at the moment is I think the dephaser is on its way out which is a little gutting having had the belts done last year, but hey ho.

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
This evening quickly stuck the fan on the new

ede08e73.jpg

9b428185.jpg

Showing the old against the new, rad is the polo one the itb boys fit, should give me plenty of room for the future :)

Next a cheeky shot of the rs2 just waiting to go on :

62444113.jpg

And I finally managed to clear the garage out enough now to get the clio in!

566239ae.jpg

TT QS
this is so nice.
i wondered what carbon would be like on RB and im glad it looks good.
sweet car mate

PH1 172 (Track Car)
Nice looking car- really like your seats. Are you thinking about spraying the bonnet the same colour as the car?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome :) Got some nice progress going on. Carbon bonnet and black 2118's look good but i dont think the stripes suit it now. I say keep it carbon, not painted.

RS2 is a nice addition. The more i look at them the more i want one. I also keep looking at the spax setup. Have you got a more detailed view on them and in comparison to the gaz's as i was originally looking to get the gaz's but keep looking at the spax kit too.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Looks good Joe :)

I also keep looking at the spax setup. Have you got a more detailed view on them and in comparison to the gaz's as i was originally looking to get the gaz's but keep looking at the spax kit too.

got a set on the shelf that's waiting to go back on my own car, what are you interested in seeing? I'll take some pics, or better still you're only down the road, just come and have a look

d5n

RB 182 FF
Good progress mate always wanted to no what a RB looked like with a carbon bonnet as been thinking of one for my RB and it suits it well in my opinion.

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for the comments gents.

Awesome :) Got some nice progress going on. Carbon bonnet and black 2118's look good but i dont think the stripes suit it now. I say keep it carbon, not painted.

RS2 is a nice addition. The more i look at them the more i want one. I also keep looking at the spax setup. Have you got a more detailed view on them and in comparison to the gaz's as i was originally looking to get the gaz's but keep looking at the spax kit too.

Yup the stripes are going to be removed along with the renault sport badge, the stipes are peeling badly so was always my intention to remove them. Not sure whether to paint the bonnet or not but will be staying carbon for a while as I cant afford to get them sprayed yet.

As danny said, best to go take a look at them, but so far they ride much better than the Gaz ones on the road, and I would imagine they would be far greater on the track. The Gaz were good for lowz y0 but not much else...

Looks good mate.

Nice wheels ;)

lol thanks, easy to keep clean tho! ;)

Looks good Joe :)

Cheers Danny, once I have replaced the ball joints/track rod ends I'll be giving you a call. :)

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
The Gordini stripes need removed or replaced with black ones.

Its a cracking looking motor!

182 track, Mk7 ST
I love the look of this and the plans sound great, didn't think too much of RB with black previously but with the 2118's and the other little details I think you've really pulled it off!

If I were you I'd leave the stripes off completely once removed tbh, a mate of mine removed them on his and had anthracite 2118's and looked perfect IMO.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Looking good. Get some vids and pictures up when you fit the rs2.

Bonnet looks good as it is. I wouldn't spray it. :-/

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
I love the look of this and the plans sound great, didn't think too much of RB with black previously but with the 2118's and the other little details I think you've really pulled it off!

If I were you I'd leave the stripes off completely once removed tbh, a mate of mine removed them on his and had anthracite 2118's and looked perfect IMO.

Cheers, I think I know the one you mean and yes it looked great, stripes will be coming off :)

Got the car prepped ready to fit the manifold today hopefully.

Last night I removed the bumper/slam panel, along with the aircon rad and pipework. also drained the coolant and removed the old rad. I dont work friday afternoons so got this time to get the new rad and RS2 on, cutting it fine as the MOT is booked in for tomorrow morning! oops.

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
So Friday I started with this:
501a898e.jpg

Firstly I set about fitting the new polo rad and fan, had to just create one new bottom mount:
2b66ad03.jpg

f4c1b792.jpg

Then created a top mount for the left hand side:
1f3e001d.jpg

And attached the right hand side to the chassis but used a rubber washer:
c7a53e7b.jpg

And rad fitted.
0a3e631c.jpg

So with that I then started the RS2 manifold, after cutting every knuckle I finally got it fitted:
05cc6f56.jpg

Fitted the rest of the parts:
bdcc3258.jpg

Started her up and it just revved to 3k and sounded like there was a leak, couldn't figure it out, spoke to James from stone automotive (thanks mate!), straight away he said I had missed the brake servo hose! Doh! Attached that and whey hey!

Refitted the bumper and other parts ready for it's mot this morning:
eba55d55.jpg
4f97b1c3.jpg

b30560db.jpg

Oh and it passed the mot no problems!

Having only driven a few miles it sounds awesome and seems to pull much better pre 5k, power feels really smooth. Will have to test even more soon!

Cracking update.
Carbon bonnet looks a bit out of place though. Guess it'll look better once you remove the white stripes.
Just remember with black wheels, use loads of tyre shine! Otherwise tyres look dirty and lets it down a bit.

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
Good update matey, make sure to use the silicon pipe between the throttle body and filter as that extra bit of length on the induction setup will make a difference! ;)

Nick

Yeah I need to do this, but comes off at a funny angle and fouls the front chassis, will have a look at your photos and see what you have done?

Cracking update.
Carbon bonnet looks a bit out of place though. Guess it'll look better once you remove the white stripes.
Just remember with black wheels, use loads of tyre shine! Otherwise tyres look dirty and lets it down a bit.

Next on the list is to remove the stripes, I ain't really in to all this cleaning stuff so ain't really bothered about the tyre shine!

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
Having a look at clearance between the RS2 and the alternator I was not happy with the amount of space between the two as they were pretty much touching as you can see here:

7fbac54a.jpg

aa1c7f6d.jpg

So I decided to fit my pure motorsport AC delete now rather than later, and so off comes the manifold again...then the alternator:

41b5429a.jpg

Removed AC compressor:

39c0ddf3.jpg

Only issue I have run into was I couldnt get the old pully off the water pump due to the amount of space between the block and the body, after alot of swearing and bashing I gave in and out came the grinder....

cec9cd0f.jpg

No issues getting the new one on as its much thinner:

6844d1cf.jpg

This is where I got to last night, need to take the alternator to the garage to get the old pulley impact gunned off, and the new pulley on, then its a reassemble job.

Hopefully get some better pictures once back together over the weekend.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Joah,

Glad you got it all fitted okay in the end! :)

As Nick has mentioned, running with out the silicone pipe causes a loss in torque & horse power so worth getting it on, when the office is running next week I'll upload some pictures of mine when it has the extra fitted,

As you have found out, the extra does not work with the standard aircon set-up this was one of the reason we decided to stop developing the kit!

James

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
Joah,

Glad you got it all fitted okay in the end! :)

As Nick has mentioned, running with out the silicone pipe causes a loss in torque & horse power so worth getting it on, when the office is running next week I'll upload some pictures of mine when it has the extra fitted,

As you have found out, the extra does not work with the standard aircon set-up this was one of the reason we decided to stop developing the kit!

James

That will be a great help, as the silicone pipe is kinked if I try and fit it at the moment, I could get a bend to go round the bit of body that it fouls (where the orignal airbox feed pipe clips in) but that defeats the point really.

Yeah I was planning to ditch the aircon anyway and have had the pure motorsport kit sat in the garage for a while so about time I fitted it!

Oh when you get all sorted in your new premises you need to send me a new sticker ;)