ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Joah's - RB Cup Track Only - Target at least one year

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
Top dash back from the flockers. And some little green highlights also.

EC950CA4-BDAF-4BCD-AFB5-E404EBC6968A_zpstdol7ueq.jpg

53A5DB40-E155-43E8-AD22-208DCC3B5B57_zpsmonvojxa.jpg

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
So its been a while..

I have not progressed much on the car since the last update but thought I would bring this thread up to date.

October / November, took some time off the car due to getting married / honeymoon - so both time and money were non exisitent anyway.

December, me and 3 friends have now rented a workshop space for our project / race cars. So I have spent the last month clearing out and repairing the building, rewireing the entire shop and installing 3 phase ramp, just a few more benches and other equipment to move in now and then the cars will be moved in - this weekend should see the clio in its new home and will have much more ability to progress further - I will post up some photos of the new workspace after the weekend!

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
Sadly not mate as it's part of the race team my friend has setup. If one becomes available I'll keep you in mind as your only up the road ;-)

Sadly not mate as it's part of the race team my friend has setup. If one becomes available I'll keep you in mind as your only up the road ;-)

If you could mate, I'm dying for some indoor space for the next part of the project!

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome car mate looks very purposeful!

What paint did you use for the cage feet and did you prime it first? I need to do mine noticed them getting some surface rust today!

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
So last weekend saw the Clio make it to its new storage.
7314C3D1-C903-4378-A9A0-60A974E3C024_zpsai9wsjv1.jpg

Now the battle to get it finally finished for some track action, been collecting more and more parts recently to bring the chassis and suspension right up to date, bought ready to go on:

Vibra engine and gearbox mount
Evolve engineering dog bone
Power flex arb and steering rack bushes
PMS wishbone bearings and strengthening
PMS rear beam bearings
PMS rear spacers and front 5mm spacers
ABS Delete (full cup master cylinder setup)
Aero catches for front bumper
To start at least...

After going to the auto sport show this weekend I got some enthusiasm to make a "to do" list:
EB85EF48-DC4A-457F-B637-64513DFDA30D_zpsy58lmeu8.jpg

All that's left to do is start!

Need a hand with anything give me a holla.

Noticed on your list *check difficulty of MC change. Its pretty fiddly, but can be done with the engine in, I've done it loads of times.

And might have to bring my rear beam to yours for welding of strengthening and bearings ;)

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
I just need to borrow a welder from the lads in the unit next to us and I'll let you know how it goes, when I eventually get to that..

Managed to fit the new engine and gearbox top mounts this evening, next on the list is the wheel studs and fixing the rear cage feet. No photos as boring really!

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
An hour spent yesterday just finishing off the mounts:
BB673D44-BF39-402C-97AA-A986FF1B9A72_zpskpds1hnt.jpg

50022DD8-01C2-4E53-A35A-EE994379D2A7_zpstqu0atw1.jpg

And then test fitting of the PMS wheel studs I bought a while ago:

84DACB9E-BF74-4A1B-BAB7-5373FD5F007B_zpszruxetsh.jpg

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
So it’s been a while since I lasted posted, been busy with other things recently, had the opportunity to help support with a Porsche in the GB Porsche cup championship this year, and had the first meeting of the year a couple of weeks back @ Brands. All went well with an 8th place finish in the second race for Nathalie McGloin Racing!

3F7AB8F7-7316-4A7A-81B0-3E885BBF339A_zpsim8abglj.jpg

Also supporting a friend in the MG championship too, few issues in race 1 for him with the PAS fluid pissing out of the rack, but solved for race two and went very well with some very respectable lap times and a decent finish in class:

A3939FE5-2C56-4918-AB78-384EB4D93F60_zps6jpqfado.jpg

Anyway back to the clio, I have since been collecting a few more parts to hopefully have everything I need to at least get the car to a position that I am happy with, and have started work again as of a few evenings a week:

Exciting that this parcel arrived yesterday, no prizes for guessing who it was from..

801AC371-F3E1-4905-8DFB-E9BAD9983BCC_zpsl8v26zcb.jpg

Mark did me a great service after my hubs were lost in transit, will never use cheap services again that’s for sure!

FCA5F4BD-BDF9-4554-964E-CDEFC1FBCD15_zpsmgyxejmw.jpg

I have nearly completed my PMS front wishbone upgrades, just a lick of paint to go and press the bearings in.

2FDE1DEC-0337-4544-A1C7-5823A81853DB_zpsm3knf3i3.jpg

I have been collecting parts to sort out EPAS column and rack, I am just waiting for the PAS pulley delete from PMS and a few new spacers for the column to lower it.

More to come in the near future (I hope!)

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
I didnt realise how in depth you went with this! Be good to get it done and on track next in '21, will be fun.

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
4 years ago I did... I have had alot of change over the last 4 years (mainly kids and divorce...) unfortunately nothing to the clio.

2021 resolution is to sort the clio out, last few days I have just put a big order in for most service parts and pull this out of the storage and get it done!

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
Dragged the sorry state out from under the blanket today..

20210105_100930.jpg

Looks like something from fast n loud when they find a car that's been in a barn for 20 years...

Thought before I started anything else should check that she still lives. After putting in a new battery, checking everything was plugged in (fuel pump caught me out) I gave it a try.

Quite happy really considering not been fired in 5 years!

Sorted out the rest of the parts and stuff that had been slung in the car and finished off the roll cage which I started all that time ago.

Something I was worried about was the sills... having seen some disasters on here recently and wondered how 5 years of storage would impact. Looks not too bad!
20210105_130051.jpg
20210105_132542.jpg

More to come.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
hope you get it done finally matey and on track! :) here's mine at Cadwell for inspiriaton!

did you ever get the RS2 mapped before you sold it all those years ago?

And jealous of those sills, they are immaculate!

14.jpeg

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
Never got it mapped mate, just ran it as is, there was always plans... never came off. The usual thing.

Thanks for the inspiration! Looks great!

Awaiting parts to arrive this week (mainly service ones) to kick start. Few other bits then to tidy up and its not far away from an MOT at least.

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
List of parts that I have collected over the last weeks:

• Genuine timing belt kit, dephaser, water pump, dampened crank pulley.
• Oil and filter.
• Plugs.
• PMS new style alternator bracket and new belt.
• PMS PAS delete.
• New radiator, electric fan, thermostat, type d coolant.
• ARP rod bolts.
• New sump gasket, bolts, plug.
• New tie rods and boots.
• New Abs front sensors.
• x4 team dynamics 1.2 for the road tyres.

Ready to kick on.
Got some exciting parts to pick up this week too!

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
Picked up the exciting parts from @Hyperhatch few weeks ago! Nice to meet you and thanks very much!

20210117_120358.jpg

Spent a few hours this morning getting the engine ready to come out, all that's left is to pop the drive shifts and hoist it out.
20210130_124557.jpg

Hope to get out and on the stand in the next week, work permitting...

Ordered a few more part this week:
• MTC hoses & jubilee clips
• New Genuine Flywheel bolts
• Crankshaft seal
• MT90 gearbox oil
• New inlet gaskets

I have lost track of what parts I have now 😂

Once the engine is out I can clean up the engine bay, fit the new rack and rip out the rest of the pas ready for epas.
More progress soon.

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
Bit of progress this evening, hoisted the engine out and on to the stand.

The usual empty bay shot..
20210216_184529.jpg

Engine out
20210216_184509.jpg

Removed clutch and flywheel both of which looked in good condition, but these will be kept as spares with the new bits going on.

I checked the seal and looks to be weeping a little, what are peoples thoughts should I replace?
20210216_191612.jpg

Ideally need to be out of the unit come end of March so need to get on with it!!

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
Progess in recent weeks..

Started the cambelt with the help of the genuine tools borrowed from @colesy, was all going OK until an inevitable disaster.. pulleys back on, all locked in place, tightening and torque up the exhaust cam pulley and snap!

20210301_173832.jpg

Seen this has happened a few times on here, they do seem very high torque settings, at this point I sighed, put everything away and took a break for a few days.

Tonight's job.. remove said stud.
20210301_181852.jpg

Managed to get enough weld on the end of the stud to then weld a nut on (this was after a few attempts). With slow and steady progess finally removed.
20210301_183011.jpg

Hadn't considered this when ordering all the parts, but have a new stud arriving tomorrow so can move on and get it timed up.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Nice save, in same situation I binned the original cams and fitted 197 ones, lol

sam_w88

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Clio 172 Cup
This happened to me last year as well! luckily had some standard cams on the shelf to nick the stud from.

Annoying though, as like you, had just about finished, but no access to a welder so had to pull the cam out and get tome heat on it with mole grips. Then all back together again:mad:

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
So now after the stud snapping I fitted the new one and got it all timed up. Hopefully it's correct all seemed OK just fiddley as everyone is aware.

I spent a few hours today sorting the sump and arp rod bolts.
20210314_142118.jpg

20210314_120431.jpg

All tightened using the lube and torqued to 42ft lbs. All looked good in there too, nothing in the oil pump filter and nothing metallic in the bottom of the sump so happy days. Torqued the sump in the pattern in the book... or pdf in this case.

All back together, started wire wheeling the block just to give it a freshen up with some vht paint.
20210314_153518.jpg

Needs another coat or two which I'll complete Tuesday.

Slowly getting there but doesn't feel to far away from getting the engine back in the hole now which is good.

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
Tonight job was to remove the steering rack and all associated pipework.

20210316_172243.jpg

Job done.
Checked the fitment od the new dci manual rack and looks good.

Also had a quick look at the brake servo, little bit of surface rust so will give that a sand over and bang some paint on it.

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
Haven't updated for a while..
Test fit of the new version of the pure motorsport brackets.

20210330_201704.jpg

Made some proper progress this evening.
20210427_200936.jpg

Feels nice to be putting things back in, rather than apart!

Some nicely new painted bits and a few treats with the flywheel, sachs clutch and gripper diff box. 😈

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
Few more bits done tonight.
Hoses fitted back in along with the cleaned expansion tank (not perfect but fine all the same).

20210518_195802.jpg

Test fit of the new radiator.
20210518_200841.jpg

Slow progress is still progress.