ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO IV RS - Trophy from page 111

95% of road cars that were going up the hill yesterday were completely silent. If you sent a clio 200 Mk3 up there it would have been completely silent... The only things making noise were the big Audi V8's and the Ferrari's. Even Nissan's 370z sounded really quiet.

I accept that the gearbox isn't for everyone, but it's no where near 1-2 seconds for a gear change...
The main reason I'd get one is the gearbox :eek: it sounds cool as f**k.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
One thing i remember not liking about the 200T, and i dont think anyone else has mentioned it, is that the steering wheel is just too fat, but its a common problem it modern cars imo.

172, Focus
one thing I noticed, being quite tall, is that with the seat adjusted to suit I feel like I'm really really crammed up against the door trim, my knee is wedged near the window switches. feels more spacious in my 172!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I sat in and played with both at Goodwood today. I echo the comments about the steering wheel...too thick and soft.

Paddles felt good enough, wheel adjustment enabled what I think would be a comfortable driving position. I take back all previous criticisms of the standard seats, they seem more than deeply bolstered enough.

The button on the shift lever though, the one you depress to ’unlock' it to select D, N, P etc. - felt doomed to fail within a few thousand miles. Cheap toys from China have more positive and slick feeling buttons on them that the Clios gearlever!

I'll be seeing if I can get a drive in one soon, but from what i've seen today, I think I'd have been happy enough in one as was my original plan.

downside that can't be ignored and what drove me into Ford's arms is the pricing though...circa £3k extra for a comparable spec to my ST.

​It won't work Renault!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I went for a test drive in one of these the other day... Ended up having a passenger ride because not 25 yet... FFs.

anyway; I wanted to like the car, I really did. But I found the interior shockingly cheap and lacking something, the seats were supportive enough around the waist but the bolsters are a massive step down from the outgoing 200s. I hate the dash.

even as a passenger, I could see that the gear changes were lacking. The car seemed to want to stop and think what it was meant to do after the flap was pulled. It felt like it accelerated like any other clio RS, but there was an inckling of the extra torque initially, nothing special though.

One of my concerns was rev matching on the way down as I heel and toe near enough every downshift. After a couple of minutes trying to explain heel and toe to the dealer, I got him to shift down while braking. Gladly it matched the revs itself on the way down.

i still hate the looks, I saw one the other day on the road and the only way I knew it was an RS was down to the blade on the front. And I keep mistaking Leon's/ibizas for new Clio's on the road.

the engine noise function was brilliant. For all of 5 minutes. Massive **** up on Renaults part IMO.

The ride, in cup guise felt a hell of a lot softer than my r27 and surprisingly even softer than a non cupped 200. On the plus side, it seemed to hold the road well and brake well, even if the dealer wasn't driving it as hard as I'd have been.

so yeah, did not connect with the car at all, not like when I sat in a 200 in the show room and had to have a mk3 RS. I was struggling to be nice about it afterwards to the dealer who was chuffed with this new hot hatch. Then I sat in a fully specced (heated/electric leather seats rather than recaros) meg 265 and I need one. That will be my next car... Does anyone know if you can get heated leather recaro sportsters for the megs?

meg 265 > clio 200edc

any RS clio > clio 200edc

based on looks alone, fiesta st > clio 200edc

​imo

Megane 225
I went for a test drive in one of these the other day... Ended up having a passenger ride because not 25 yet... FFs.

anyway; I wanted to like the car, I really did. But I found the interior shockingly cheap and lacking something, the seats were supportive enough around the waist but the bolsters are a massive step down from the outgoing 200s. I hate the dash.

even as a passenger, I could see that the gear changes were lacking. The car seemed to want to stop and think what it was meant to do after the flap was pulled. It felt like it accelerated like any other clio RS, but there was an inckling of the extra torque initially, nothing special though.

One of my concerns was rev matching on the way down as I heel and toe near enough every downshift. After a couple of minutes trying to explain heel and toe to the dealer, I got him to shift down while braking. Gladly it matched the revs itself on the way down.

i still hate the looks, I saw one the other day on the road and the only way I knew it was an RS was down to the blade on the front. And I keep mistaking Leon's/ibizas for new Clio's on the road.

the engine noise function was brilliant. For all of 5 minutes. Massive **** up on Renaults part IMO.

The ride, in cup guise felt a hell of a lot softer than my r27 and surprisingly even softer than a non cupped 200. On the plus side, it seemed to hold the road well and brake well, even if the dealer wasn't driving it as hard as I'd have been.

so yeah, did not connect with the car at all, not like when I sat in a 200 in the show room and had to have a mk3 RS. I was struggling to be nice about it afterwards to the dealer who was chuffed with this new hot hatch. Then I sat in a fully specced (heated/electric leather seats rather than recaros) meg 265 and I need one. That will be my next car... Does anyone know if you can get heated leather recaro sportsters for the megs?

meg 265 > clio 200edc

​imo

They let me drive it and I'm 21. Unlucky mate.

Focus ST-2
Couldn't get heated recaro's in the Megane 250. It's a shame Renault don't do any decent offers on the RS range. 265 is an amazing motor but too expensive once specced up.

meg 265 > clio 200edc

​imo

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
Sat in the LY one at Goodwood today, I LOVED it. It's absolutely the best-looking Clio they've made in years, if not the best-ever.

Loved the black mirrors and wheels, interior was a nice place to be with great seats and I even like the way they've designed the rear doors.

I'd have one in a heartbeat .. except for the price. £19k before you start adding options. LY paint is £1300. Ouch.

I agree - I hated it at first but it's definitely got something about it.

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
6aqy6upe.jpg

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
​What Tossers! Ill have to go to a different Renault lol

My local dealer in Watford is the same, no test drives across the RS range unless you're over 25. Seems pretty pointless as 20-25 is a big market surely??

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
My local dealer in Watford is the same, no test drives across the RS range unless you're over 25. Seems pretty pointless as 20-25 is a big market surely??

Probably was in 1*2 / 197 / 200 days, now it's got a soft gearbox and 2 extra doors for the kiddies so now aimed at midlife crisis family man ;)

I'm sure if an under 25 rocked up with the deposit for one you would get a test drive

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
It's getting worse for Clio...Mountune already released upgrade for fiesta £599 for 215bhp on overboost and 6.4 to 60 mph...

M135i
It wouldn't have been annoying if I hadn't have pulled up in a renaultsport clio lol

I remember years ago, this 25 year old thing happened to me when I was looking buying a R27 at 21 years old.

A quick email to RUK, and a couple days later I had the dealer back on the phone saying that they were now able to sort me with a test drive......

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I drove the fiesta ST with the new Mountune pack on it today.

Interior I really don't like. Centre console gives me a headache. Elbow bashed into the arm rest when changing gears and breaks are tiny. Interior felt cheaper than the Clio's IMO. The one I drove was a nudge off 19k with the upgrade.

What I did like was the steering wheel, seats were supportive (no more supportive than Clio's, and if they had 'Recaro' stitched onto them no one would moan). To me the seats in the fiesta aren't 'proper' recaros. Good seats none the less. I also liked the exhaust note and it appeared to be really eager. Engine was pretty sweet. Handling was good too, as you'd expect!

Can completely understand why people buy them. They're a great car, especially at that price point. Is one better than the other? Yes, they both out trump each other in various ways. Which would I buy? Depended what I wanted to use it for and how much money I had!

Summary - They're both very great cars, in very different ways.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
I phoned the Edinburgh branch, think its only glasgow that have one at the moment. Guy on the phone was trying to sell me a GT Clio, said he just sold one and he is getting another, didnt shut up about the bloody thing.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I remember years ago, this 25 year old thing happened to me when I was looking buying a R27 at 21 years old. A quick email to RUK, and a couple days later I had the dealer back on the phone saying that they were now able to sort me with a test drive......

cheers, but I don't want them thinking I'm interested in buying one.

Ill bare that in mind for testing a 265 though

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I phoned the Edinburgh branch, think its only glasgow that have one at the moment. Guy on the phone was trying to sell me a GT Clio, said he just sold one and he is getting another, didnt shut up about the bloody thing.

Aye Pollokshaws branch it is Ben. I had the EXACT same spiel about the GT, the boy kept on and on about it! I'd have bought one to shut him up ffs!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
It's a shame to say it but it is true.

I really would have liked a new 200T, I think Renault should be commended for being brave and heading in a slightly different direction, but the introduction/launch/lead times/overall cost/dealer attitude and complete lack of knowledge meant once I'd had a chat to Ford to compare, the 200T was never going to figure.

It wouldn't have taken much for Renault to snare me either...just a little effort and they'd have had me.

And yes, part of me does still hanker after a 200T :eek:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It just seems to the most dragged out car launch in the world. The hype has long since died and the ST still increases in stature every day, every review.

Initially I thought that the Clio would appeal to the new market that Renault wanted it to, but really? Now I'm left feeling it's an inept launch of a car that required specific marketing. I honestly think they will see sales drop.

Yes I have seen it in the metal. Looked uninspiring.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Saw one in the flesh today and sat in the GT and a standard model, not for me tbh, it's just too small a car for me nowadays, AMG Merc for me next I think (albeit not a new one)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
None of my local dealers are getting demonstrators its shocking, they tell me it has launch control and does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds yet no demo car lol booking a test drive for my week off in the fiesta.

Mini Cooper S sport
None of my local dealers are getting demonstrators its shocking, they tell me it has launch control and does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds yet no demo car lol booking a test drive for my week off in the fiesta.

WELL, no point me buying that Lambo I was looking at then.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Yeh that would be good. Can't get black wheels w/out ordering cup pack though and they didn't want that fitting to it.

Luke, your parents whip looks ridiculous! In a good way... If i wasn't hell bent on an E39 MSport Tourer and RUK loved me enough to give me one for a year, I'd say yes. ;)