ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO IV RS - Trophy from page 111

Clio 200 CUP
Re: CLIO IV RS for 2013, Last news

Why would any one buy that its not nice at all just look at the Renault badge. Why are they making the Clio bigger.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

It's not like the Clio has all of a sudden become huge. The Clio III was a larger car and I can't see this being much bigger than that. I'm not a fan of the huge front diamond but I'm sure there will be aftermarket replacements available for them but on the whole I'm loving what I've seen and actually want one.

Let's see what deals they bang out when it's ready for ordering.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It's a bit too big for my tastes but I'm sure painting it will make it look 10times better even at that scale.

I'm certain someone will create a replacement grille for it though like they do for the Vauxhalls.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

5 door doesnt bother me, the size doesnt bother me it cant be that much bigger than a clio 3 if its bassed on it, the styling doesnt bother me as im sure it will look awesome in the flesh and cool colours, im pretty sure it will drive brilliant as all RS cars do, its just the box, it could be the best box in the world, i want a manual regardless!!

hopefully the box will have a sport mode that lets it pop and bang on gearchange though if its the only option!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

It's bound to be an option Martin as there's no way they wouldn't release a manual version... TL4 is bound to be the standard unit I'd wager.

Too much piss and wind in here at the minute though and non of it based on fact.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member

If the Auto Express images are close to the final design, I personally think its a gorgeous car. Always been a fan of Leon Cupras and they're 5 door, and the hidden rear door handles help make the new Clio look very similar, and not like a 5 door at all.

As said, I hope DSG is an option, and that Xenons, or at least projectors, and Recaros are offered as standard, as they are on the Corsa VXR.

Iceberg 172

Looks like an Alfa 147 rear end and the new corsa front end in that video.

BMW 330D

The diamond looks a bit over the top but I'm sure that will grow on me. Going five door screams to me they are going to make a premium super mini, read an article a while back with the new Renault chief confirming they would really like to launch a car in the mould of the 500 and DS3 although its not certain it will be a new Reanult 5 it does seem the logical thing to do. The twingo is outclassed by its rivals so I think this will be replaced by a premium supermini rather than another model being added to the range.

When is the new clio actually launched?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

it appears though that the new clio is all about profit margin, hence dropping 3 door, and no brembos, so surely it would be cheaper to make the car with just one gearbox option?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I can't honestly see them only offering a semi-auto/auto box option and i'd be willing to bet a go on my Mum that a manual option is in the details when they finally come out. Personally, I'm glad they've dropped the Brembo units though as they're nothing special and they're an expensive nightmare to service (overly expensive pads, seized guide pins that bend or, if you're not careful see you mark the red powder coating. Then theres sticking brake pads causing steering and pedal 'feel' issues... Scrap em).

People getting hung up and speculating on what is a pre-assembly demo mules spec is gonna insight a riot at this rate LoLz

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

I'd love a dsg auto! Hopefully won't be a mega expensive option!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

I'm just getting old! I like the idea of the 5 door too. Don't like the rs badge placement but like the initial styling. Hoping for heated seats too!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

This.

Aslong as it's a good flappy paddle box, which it should be these days, then I'd definitely go for it.

Best of both worlds, gears when you think you're Sebastien Loeb on your local A road, auto for the rest of the time. Gears are s**t for town driving, which is what most people use their cars for.

dk

911 GTS Cab

all the racing drivers on here are purists, so only a manual will do, even though most racing cars these days are paddles..........

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

I like the idea of an auto and then dsg for when I get all f1.

Think my next BMW will be an auto too.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Imo they won't offer a manual. Not these days. Money is super tight these days and dsg = manual and Auto anyway.

Although it's not like the R.S. Division to move away from the purist. Turbo was a small step. Dsg is a big one.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

all the racing drivers on here are purists, so only a manual will do, even though most racing cars these days are paddles..........

LOL, I'm not a racing driver, I'm simply a driving enthusiast who places a lot of importance on the tactility of a manual gearbox. DSG may be better (very probably is in every single way) but for me it will simply ruin the driving experience.

dk

911 GTS Cab

IMO it will be an option, a very expensive option £1600? As Renault love their options these days don't they.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I just think gearbox options aren't as forthcoming as they used to be. Cost.

Look at the Focus/Clio 5 door flagship models. Money saving.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

LOL, I'm not a racing driver, I'm simply a driving enthusiast who places a lot of importance on the tactility of a manual gearbox. DSG may be better (very probably is in every single way) but for me it will simply ruin the driving experience.

+1

dk

911 GTS Cab

I just think gearbox options aren't as forthcoming as they used to be. Cost.

Look at the Focus/Clio 5 door flagship models. Money saving.
I think that's more to do with the fact that they are perfecting the combination of the convenience of a 5 door with the looks of a 3 door by combining the two, hiding the rear doors and sloping the rear more.

Theres then little need to offer both choices, making manufacturing easier, as well as saving costs. They still love the options though, and if they can get an extra £1600 out of the sale when the car is already more expensive than the last model, then they will.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
True in regards to the box. Simple money saving with the body.

Flagship sport models are 3 door. Fact. ;)

The move to 5-door is a justifiable cost cutting exercise. It saves several million in design & manufacture. The simplification that the decision promises, cannot be overestimated.

One or the other had to prevail, and they'd never choose a 3-door only body. Get over it IMO. It's not like three doors makes race car. It's a hatchback.

Five years from now when they're worth 20p, every charver will be proclaiming it the best hatch ever made, and blowing them up with 1.4 bar.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

i think financially it would be a bad move to offer both a semi auto and a manual, especially after spending a s**t load developing this new box, i hope im wrong but i cant see them offering a manual. given the cost cutting move of going for 5 door only for the Clio 4 range and using the same shell for the RS4 not like the current RS3 where they used a different shell with wider rear quarters etc

Ged

PD130 Peach

Renault made DSG... Alarm bells are ringing already lol

VAG's DSG's still go wrong... French made = stay away unless your only keeping it in the warranty period, and don't mind frequent trips to the dealer and a twingo courtesy car :p

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

Buying a Dsg Renault out of warranty... Brave?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

Exactly.

Technology doesn't make it a better driver's car.

I like what I've seen so far... aside from the placement of the RS badge on the front. I hope that's just on the mule.

Sprint 172

VW's DSG isn't very reliable. In the states (where the consumer is king) they have had to extend the warranty to 10 years due to the amount of problems. I've had a brand new Grand Scenic with DSG box since last October and it's been superb so far... Time will tell.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

I just want to pretend I am an F1 driver tbh.

If I got one it would no doubt never go on a track, done them before and wouldn't want to take an expensive car on one tbh. Just my opinion.

I understand others like Mark who bought his RS for a track car as well as a normal day car.

the cost to develop the parts to fit a DSG even if they don't develop the box it would exceed any cost savings on the rest of the car its purely for emissions & mpg with deprecation on renaults a knackered box will just write the car off

its a shame the simple process of changing gear is being taken over by a computer but this seems the way cars are heading :(

i dont understand why they are so highly regarded i cant wait to get rid of mine its just illogical as anything other then a auto :dead:

the cost to develop the parts to fit a DSG even if they don't develop the box it would exceed any cost savings on the rest of the car its purely for emissions & mpg with deprecation on renaults a knackered box will just write the car off

its a shame the simple process of changing gear is being taken over by a computer but this seems the way cars are heading :(

i dont understand why they are so highly regarded i cant wait to get rid of mine its just illogical as anything other then a auto :dead:

I take it you dont get on with your new Polo mate?

I was thinking of getting one for my next car!! :(

I take it you dont get on with your new Polo mate?

I was thinking of getting one for my next car!! :(

get a good drive they are good cars its hard not to be impressed by the dsg & engine the car in my experience is twitchy & un settled on odd surfaces thats before i get to my biggest issue the dsg it winds me up in anything other then auto the manual mode & paddles are waste of time

i may be a exception though because everyone loves the gti vrs & cupra & they think the dsg is the best thing since sliced bread :S