ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio GT 1.6 (128 Bhp)

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
LOL naa I was driving. One time he was coming the other way and we both looked eachother and laughed!

Oh, had a run with a J plate XR2. I backed off before it got to silly speed but also because I sensed defeat.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
The seat don't squeak no! And the engine did now It's got super unleaded in it (Tesco Powaaa) it sounds fine.

Not a 320d
Ive had mine on Vpower since i got it, quiet as a mouse at idle when its warm, vtec above 6k, its not so much the engine but the exhaust that sounds dirty when its cold.

Not a 320d
IMG00076-20100116-2057.jpg

s**t pic but it got me thinking about what colour i should have gone for :eek:

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Yeah when cold my car is soo sluggish and i can hear it sort of struggling to move LOL.

White does look good! But I love the finish on Malta.

Not a 320d
Same, was driving round town last night and there was a group of girls saying my car was fit lol.

Spacers on tonight hopefully, HR's fitted next week.

3000 Mile review and PERSONAL thoughts and issues - NB. Im not slating my car, i love it.

Fan - Speed 1 it makes a squeaking noise.
Pedals - Worn smooth from 3000 miles of use on the edges, feet now slip when breaking and when heal toe'ing.
Clutch Pedal - Noise when engaging clutch, can only be described as a loud creaking.
Steering - Seems to have become far lighter than it was origionally.
Seats - Good support but not for the legs, boulsters too weak nd too wide at the legs. Seating position is AWFUL, driving position is worse than the MK2, i now have bad back. Seats do not go down enough, i feel like im sat at a 90 degree angle.
Sterio - Good, but not loud enough.
Engine - Fuel economy is between 36 - 45mpg on long runs. Belt it and youll see 19mpg. 128Bhp is not sufficient for such a big car, torque is delieverd in the middle of the rev range, torque runs out at about 4.5k and its all revs to 7000rpm or so, No torque at low end but hey its a 1.6. Very quiet at idle. Vtec Like noise above 6000rpm. Very boomy when you boot it. I origionally thought it was quiet on a motorway having come from MK2 1.2, but i now find it has a lot of noise, engine has to be worked very hard if you want to have fun.
Gearbox and clutch - Gearbox is good actually, its not fast but it isnt exactly slow. Ratios are great fun when you want to belt it a bit and fantastic for keeping the engine revving where you wamnt it on downshifts, very hard to live with when driving normally, 1st gear seems pointless. Clutch is by far the slowest ive ever experienced and there doesnt seem to be a presice biting point.
Tyres & wheels - Pilot Primacy, 195/45. Not wide enough, poor tyres, a set of contisports or conti premium contacts wouldnt have gone a miss. 16" isnt large enough IMO.
Suspension - LOT of body roll but i need to remember this sint a renaultsport, its fairly bumpy, but push it and it doesnt feel too good.

To sum it up, its a renault, and its nothing special, but its a reet laugh and i love it.

Clio GT
Pedals - Worn smooth from 3000 miles of use on the edges, feet now slip when breaking and when heal toe'ing.
Clutch Pedal - Noise when engaging clutch, can only be described as a loud creaking.

Stereo: Not Loud enough

I've found the same on mine. Im on 4,500 Miles now.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Review and PERSONAL thoughts and issues - my go :).

Fan - Fine.
Pedals - Smoothed slightly, but not TOO bad.
Clutch Pedal - Noise when engaging clutch, can only be described as a loud creaking. But I just turn up ma bangin choons.
Steering - No problems to report.
Seats - Epic, so comfortable and supportive! They always get compliments!
Stereo - Changed anyway, but was good before (just not loud enough, brap)
Engine - Fuel economy has averaged at 29.8MPG. Mostly country roads. I use the cruise control lots which bought the MPG up! Still needs to be poked for power which drinks fuel like a mofo.
Gearbox and clutch - Makes revving the thing more tempting! Short ratio's for some good old fashioned fun
Tyres & wheels - Haven't noticed anything, but then i havent got much to compare!
Suspension - Handles nicely! My friend in a Focus ST couldnt get away on the roundabouts. Its such a giggle on the back roads where the higher ride hide and perhaps not so hard suspension means its comfy and handles well. Good compromise between ride and handling IMO.

Also bought some ultra bright bulbs to see if they are any better. Although the bulbs in there arent exactly bad!

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Took one of these for a test drive today, wasn't impressed at all tbh. Seating postition was awful, the seats weren't much better gave me back ache in the 20 minutes we were out there. Engine felt pretty gutless although it was a test drive so I couldn't exactly drive it to the limit. Moat dissapointing of all though was the way it drove, thought it was really vague and although as I said I didn't exactly thrash it, it felt like you could easy exceed the cars limits an roll the bloody thing over.

Tbh it may sound silly but I'd rather stick to the sh*t slow 1.2 as I think it's more fun to drive. I was never intending on buying one, just wanted to see what it is like. Moving away from Renault altogether though in march and going VAG. Drove a golf gt tdi 130 and loved it, everything I need from a car at the moment and will be a big step up from the 1.2!

Not a 320d
Took one of these for a test drive today, wasn't impressed at all tbh. Seating postition was awful, the seats weren't much better gave me back ache in the 20 minutes we were out there. Engine felt pretty gutless although it was a test drive so I couldn't exactly drive it to the limit. Moat dissapointing of all though was the way it drove, thought it was really vague and although as I said I didn't exactly thrash it, it felt like you could easy exceed the cars limits an roll the bloody thing over.

Tbh it may sound silly but I'd rather stick to the sh*t slow 1.2 as I think it's more fun to drive. I was never intending on buying one, just wanted to see what it is like. Moving away from Renault altogether though in march and going VAG. Drove a golf gt tdi 130 and loved it, everything I need from a car at the moment and will be a big step up from the 1.2!

Yep! Couldnt agree more.

Black Clio GT
mines done 8k now,
problems......... (more annoying than anything) squeeky pedals, squeeking fan blower, noisey brakes.
design issues........ steering too light (mrs loves it though) and drivers seat could do with going a few inches lower.
i think the engine is a little belter. yes it needs to be ragged to get the best out of it but at the end of the day its a 1.6 n/a so wouldnt expect anything less, if you keep the revs up and in the right gear then its more than able to bother more powerfull cars into and through corners.
the gearbox suits the engine very well and is easier/smoother to use the higher the engine revs, around town and from cold its quite hard to drive smoothly but at the end of the day i can live with that as it would be for more annoying if it was crap the more you pushed it.
the brakes arnt the best when pushing the car into corners and get spongy/fade quickly but im going to change them in the summer for some ds2500 and some better fluid anyway.
the suspension is a good compromise, stiff enough to get good turn in, grip and feed back through the wheel but soft enough for every day use when you arnt in lewis hamilton mode, so not to be crashy over speed hups/pot holes. just a shame it could have sat a few mm lower. bought a -40mm spring kit and 25mm spacers so that should help get a better stance and help with body roll through the twisties. im also going to add a few strut braces when funds/the mrs permits me lol
tyres show no signs of wear/scrubbing like the softer contisports and seem to suit the suspension set up, abit poor in the wet and quite easy to spin the inside wheel when getting on the power too early but thats mostly down to my lack of talent tbh.
i find the seats very comfy and the quality/feel of the carbin seems better than the mk2 i owned in 2003.

personally i have no regrets in buying it over the twingo rs or any of its competitors like corsa, fiesta ect and hope to change a few peoples opinions of it being under powered/over weight on/at varous shows/trackdays this year.

Last edited:
  Not a 320d
The brakes fade badly lol. Sometimes i wonder when im going to stop. The brakes are also noisy, rubbing sound under braking.

Mat did you not find 25mm spacers too much ? I put mine on sunday night and 20mm on the rear was fine, 20mm on the front was overkill and ive taken them off as it looked like a tractor. I think it feels a bit more planted at the rear now. Im thinking about investing in 10mm spacers if i can get rid of the spare 20mm spacers.

Not a 320d
For the lol, when you park it up next, rev it to about 6.5 when your stationary and watch the rev counter........bets on how much that fly wheel weighs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mines done 8k now,
problems......... (more annoying than anything) squeeky pedals, squeeking fan blower, noisey brakes.
design issues........ steering too light (mrs loves it though) and drivers seat could do with going a few inches lower.
i think the engine is a little belter. yes it needs to be ragged to get the best out of it but at the end of the day its a 1.6 n/a so wouldnt expect anything less, if you keep the revs up and in the right gear then its more than able to bother more powerfull cars into and through corners.
the gearbox suits the engine very well and is easier/smoother to use the higher the engine revs, around town and from cold its quite hard to drive smoothly but at the end of the day i can live with that as it would be for more annoying if it was crap the more you pushed it.
the brakes arnt the best when pushing the car into corners and get spongy/fade quickly but im going to change them in the summer for some ds2500 and some better fluid anyway.
the suspension is a good compromise, stiff enough to get good turn in, grip and feed back through the wheel but soft enough for every day use when you arnt in lewis hamilton mode, so not to be crashy over speed hups/pot holes. just a shame it could have sat a few mm lower. bought a -40mm spring kit and 25mm spacers so that should help get a better stance and help with body roll through the twisties. im also going to add a few strut braces when funds/the mrs permits me lol
tyres show no signs of wear/scrubbing like the softer contisports and seem to suit the suspension set up, abit poor in the wet and quite easy to spin the inside wheel when getting on the power too early but thats mostly down to my lack of talent tbh.
i find the seats very comfy and the quality/feel of the carbin seems better than the mk2 i owned in 2003.

personally i have no regrets in buying it over the twingo rs or any of its competitors like corsa, fiesta ect and hope to change a few peoples opinions of it being under powered/over weight on/at varous shows/trackdays this year.

i think this is the best summary ive seen its not ment to be hardcore its cheeky

as for complaints about steering drive a non gt model then you wont be complaing ;)

Last edited:
  Not a 320d
will the ds2500 pads actually fit?

The steering is just.....wierd. Too light, and far too unreponsive for the weight it actually has.

Black Clio GT
will the ds2500 pads actually fit?

The steering is just.....wierd. Too light, and far too unreponsive for the weight it actually has.

why wouldnt they fit, they list mk3 1.6 but not looked into it properly yet as they list the caliper make too....

steering its too light at low speeds for my liking but understand its for ease of parking/in and out of city traffic.

Black Clio GT
The brakes fade badly lol. Sometimes i wonder when im going to stop. The brakes are also noisy, rubbing sound under braking.

Mat did you not find 25mm spacers too much ? I put mine on sunday night and 20mm on the rear was fine, 20mm on the front was overkill and ive taken them off as it looked like a tractor. I think it feels a bit more planted at the rear now. Im thinking about investing in 10mm spacers if i can get rid of the spare 20mm spacers.

not fitted the spacers/springs yet, if you look at bio's old bus the front looks fine, he had 25mm all round. im not going that low and im not going to waste my money by buying coilovers as they are so overated and over the top for what im after, fair enough if your going to drive the car on track and go for spirited blasts wherever you go but this is my mrs every day car so dont want it to get annoying when we just want to get into a car park with speed humps or just want to go to asda and actually have a spine left when we get there lol
if how ever i feel the spacers are too much ill flog them on here or ebay and get some smaller ones.

Not a 320d
not fitted the spacers/springs yet, if you look at bio's old bus the front looks fine, he had 25mm all round. im not going that low and im not going to waste my money by buying coilovers as they are so overated and over the top for what im after, fair enough if your going to drive the car on track and go for spirited blasts wherever you go but this is my mrs every day car so dont want it to get annoying when we just want to get into a car park with speed humps or just want to go to asda and actually have a spine left when we get there lol
if how ever i feel the spacers are too much ill flog them on here or ebay and get some smaller ones.

PM me with a link to the ds2500's pplz :eek:

Not a 320d
looks PAP

I have resolved the squeaky clutch.

Get some white lithium grease. Spray the spring and all the other moving parts down there, obviously avoiding the electrics. Then apply some pressure to the pedal on one side and engage the clutch a few hundred times, do it on the opposite side.

I have no squeaking clutch this morning.

R26
My impressions after 3625 miles

Cons:

• clutch doesn't have a well defined biting point and is a bit spongy
  • perhaps would have expected better mpg (I'm averaging 28-30 mpg, city driving)
  • not enough low-down torque
  • would like firmer suspension
  • would like bigger wheels with wider track
  • would like more stopping power
Pros:

• lots of equipment as standard (automatic air conditioning, bluetooth, cruise control, electric everything incl. folding mirrors, cornering lights, etc)
  • handling and chukablility
  • surprising amounts of grip through the corners
  • gearbox - fast, short, quick ratios
  • power delivery and engine sound over 4500 rpms
  • excellent seats, very supportive, yet comfortable
  • nice steering wheel
  • looks good
  • seems to be well built

Last edited:
  Cupra 300 ST 4drive
Looked/drove at the 1.6 Gt as a replacement for the wifes now 3 year old 2.0 138 Dyn S , i am going for the twingo 133 with cup package, climate and a few other toys, they should have made the 2.0 138 engine available in the GT guise.

MCS R56
My impressions after 3625 miles

Cons:

• clutch doesn't have a well defined biting point and is a bit spongy
  • perhaps would have expected better mpg (I'm averaging 28-30 mpg, city driving)
  • not enough low-down torque
  • would like firmer suspension
  • would like bigger wheels with wider track
  • would like more stopping power
Pros:

• lots of equipment as standard (automatic air conditioning, bluetooth, cruise control, electric everything incl. folding mirrors, cornering lights, etc)
  • handling and chukablility
  • surprising amounts of grip through the corners
  • gearbox - fast, short, quick ratios
  • power delivery and engine sound over 4500 rpms
  • excellent seats, very supportive, yet comfortable
  • nice steering wheel
  • looks good
  • seems to be well built

Sounds like you need a Sport!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Mine stops well, corners well and is comfortable. Plus if you rev it hard it goes well! Have I got a different car or something?

Black Clio GT
no, you just havnt owned any others to compare it too!!!

i think because the car is similar price to what people seem to be getting 200 cup/twingo rs's for i think people test drive them expecting them to compete with it but its not meant to, its meant to compete with corsa sxi, fiesta zetec s swift sport, 207 sport ect which imo it does very well, hense why i bought one over the ford/suzuki....

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
THANK YOU!

That's what I've been trying to say. People get in them after driving 1*2's etc. and go oh its slow. But it will keep up with a Fiesta Zetec S all day!

And I have driven lots of cars for someone of my age tbh! 1.2 Corsa, Diesel Corsa/Laguna/Vans/Alfa, Fiesta Zetec S. But yeah I haven't got that much experience to compare I suppose :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Looked/drove at the 1.6 Gt as a replacement for the wifes now 3 year old 2.0 138 Dyn S , i am going for the twingo 133 with cup package, climate and a few other toys, they should have made the 2.0 138 engine available in the GT guise.

Exactly my thoughts. RS Twingo is a MUCH better car for similar money

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Okay so recent problems.

The breaks have that screech/squeek which sounds like worn pads tbh.

The insert on the gear nob came out tonight. It turns out its just a rubbish clip and some sub standard glue holding it in :(. Oh and driving it in the cold is much like it is in the 197 / Twingay RS. KANGAROOO MUDDAf**kARR.

How does it handle with coils toby? much better I should expect! Post pics in this thread boyo ;)

Oh and the engine is getting better and better as the miles go on! Really has some good pace when you need it.