ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio GT 1.6 (128 Bhp)

AK

M240i
Jason_E said:
THANK YOU!

That's what I've been trying to say. People get in them after driving 1*2's etc. and go oh its slow. But it will keep up with a Fiesta Zetec S all day!

And I have driven lots of cars for someone of my age tbh! 1.2 Corsa, Diesel Corsa/Laguna/Vans/Alfa, Fiesta Zetec S. But yeah I haven't got that much experience to compare I suppose :)

I'd much rather a swift tbh the Clio is just far too big IMO

t0m

Megane 225 Turbo
Just thought I'd revive this thread.

I'm taking delivery of a white GT dCi in early July brand new. My current daily driver is a Megane 225 Ph2, so a bit of a downgrade but it's for the best given the issues with the Megane.

Not exactly an inspiring thread, but at least people are referring to the dCi with good inference.

Will update you all when I get it.

Just thought I'd revive this thread.

I'm taking delivery of a white GT dCi in early July brand new. My current daily driver is a Megane 225 Ph2, so a bit of a downgrade but it's for the best given the issues with the Megane.

Not exactly an inspiring thread, but at least people are referring to the dCi with good inference.

Will update you all when I get it.

im sure me and martin will be extremely interested in your opinion on the dci gt
did you drive a petrol gt before deciding on the dci ?

i did try a dci 106 dynamique but i settled for the dci 86 i was impressed with it though

Last edited:

t0m

Megane 225 Turbo
Nope, I've got a 225 Meggy at the moment. Don't want another piss-poor MPG car.

The diesel is brisk enough, hardly comparing eggs with eggs is it though.

ClioToby: Thanks, I don't need to think for myself now. No need to report back, I can tell you all I won't like it...

daydotz: Will keep you posted mate.

ClioToby: Thanks, I don't need to think for myself now. No need to report back, I can tell you all I won't like it...

i think the dci is going to be a different animal its got the low down torque an the refinement if you wish

they are still a bit of an unkown your be the 2nd owner(ironicly the first one is a local bloke but hes become inactive here maybe i scared him off :eek:) ive come across you don't see many on autotrader an ive not found one even remotely local to test drive although the same can be said for the petrol where i am

i love my dci86 if the gt has the sharper steering an handling it claims im sure id love it even more :D

t0m

Megane 225 Turbo
Out of interest, what mods wouldn't invalidate a dealer warranty?

Don't want chavvy ones, perhaps a nice sports exhaust and lowering springs?

Where would I stand with the warranty?

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
If the modified item is found to have caused a fault then it will invalidate the warranty. So if you fit springs and a shock breaks two years down the line, chances of getting it fixed under warranty are slim. But if your electric windows stop working that will be fine, and they are not connected.

Not a 320d

:) lol

Out of interest, what mods wouldn't invalidate a dealer warranty?

Don't want chavvy ones, perhaps a nice sports exhaust and lowering springs?

Where would I stand with the warranty?

Before i had my coils fitted, i went into Renault and asked them what the score was with warranty. Told them i was fitting new suspension, and they said it wouldn't void my warranty, but they would not cover any parts relating to the suspension, brakes were included iirc.

I dont know of any exhausts available yet, but HR do offer a 45mm lowering spring kit, and a set of coilovers. Search for threads posted by me in the media section if you want a look. I am also taking mine to RS tuning sometime to have it remapped. HR also offer Spacers which you will definately need if you dont want it to look like a shopping trolley. I have 20mm on each wheel at the back.

Ill be sensible now, its pretty fun to drive, i like the car MOST of the time. As your getting a diesel car i cannot comment on fuel economy, but my 1.6 does 42mpg @ 70mph with highs of 45mpg at 40mph on long straight roads. However i am unable to drive sensibly all the time and average 28mpg with lows of 19mpg.

The brakes are an issue - not just for me either, they are poor, they squeak and sound like a warped bycicle wheel when the brakes rub against the metal when in traffic sometimes. Turn the wheel at low speeds when moving, itll squeak.

You may find the brake pedal squeaks, and the clutch pedal creaks. I have a temp solution to this, so if you have this problem ask me about it.

Sounds like im slating the car here, but the rest of it doesnt bother me anymore, ive decided to learn to love it. Should be a nice economical run about with a few toys included. If you take it for what it is, youll like it.

Hope thats of some use, its honestly not a bad car, but i hated it when i first got it.

t0m

Megane 225 Turbo
19mpg out of a 1.6? I can lash my 225 up and and around town with the aircon on and still get 21mpg.

You must be some mad driver to get 19mpg out of a 1.6 mate!

I've got no choice other than to "take it for what it is", I'll miss my Megane like crazy and in return I've got a twice-as-slow car. Just hope I don't get many open road opportunities in the next 3 years. Hopefully the MPG will balance my depression!

I like the Twingo's a lot actually, problem is I've got a large Golden Retriever dog who rides with us a lot and aftere looking at the Twingo the other day there's no bootspace at all, as you'd expect from a car that size. Such a characterful car though!

Not a 320d
Read the full post. I've not had it under 19mpg, I average 26mpg usually as the roads I drive on are twisty back roads so just can't resist pelting it. HOWEVER, if I take it easy ill get into the 40's using cruise control. General town driving is about 32 to 34mpg.

t0m

Megane 225 Turbo
Read the full post. I've not had it under 19mpg, I average 26mpg usually as the roads I drive on are twisty back roads so just can't resist pelting it. HOWEVER, if I take it easy ill get into the 40's using cruise control. General town driving is about 32 to 34mpg.

Sigh, ok,

"However i am unable to drive sensibly all the time and average 28mpg with lows of 19mpg."

You suggested that at worst your 1.6 Petrol reaches lows of 19mpg, which is terrible. Driven hard, my 225 bottoms out at slightly more than that and that's a 2.0 Turbo.

I was just picking up on something you said, I read the full post but even driving a 1.6 "hard", 19mpg is crap! Is the handbrake on? Guess I made the right call getting the Diesel version!

LOL!

If I hammer the 1.2 everywhere I would still get 30mpg!

i think thats some driving tbh id be expecting 30mpg thats being cautious on the claimed mpg id expect to get 1-3mpg better or worse depending on the weather or how its been driven if its getting these figures then id feel its doing well

a dci gt to me would do around 50mpg

this is my view based on my dci86s mpg im getting 55-51

Last edited:
  Not a 320d
LOL!

If I hammer the 1.2 everywhere I would still get 30mpg!

And your point is? My old 1.2 got 29mpg once, just once. Always averaged 32mpg.

This is a 1.6 (big wow) not a 1.2.

Tom, I got 19Mpg after revving the nuts off it for 45 mins, on a long drive. What do 172's do at worst?

t0m

Megane 225 Turbo
And your point is? My old 1.2 got 29mpg once, just once. Always averaged 32mpg.

This is a 1.6 (big wow) not a 1.2.

Tom, I got 19Mpg after revving the nuts off it for 45 mins, on a long drive. What do 172's do at worst?

I'm bored now. 19mpg out of a 1.6 engine regardless of what you're doing is poor economy.

I'm stating that I get comparable if not better by thrashing a 2.0l Turbo. For the same fuel economy I know what car I'd rather have.

Not a 320d
Middle of witer too btw. I dont see what the big deal is? Its not like ive seen that figure in the past few months.

FYI, in the past 24 hours, ive done 50 miles of mixed driving. I reset the counter saturday evening and ive not got lower than 40mpg.

Im bored too Tom.

dci reviews :(

"However, the 106 dCi engine is not exactly quick: 0-62mph takes 11.1 seconds, which feels like a lifetime, even for a supposed 'warm' hatchback. There's decent punch lower down though - maximum torque is available around 2,000rpm - which makes the GT feel sprightly around town. It will also hold its own on a motorway and its six-speed transmission is greatly appreciated here, but it's an effort building up momentum again after slowing down in traffic."

"But in diesel form, the Clio GT feels like little more than an expensive trim level, its reasonable handling suffocated by an engine that isn't up to scratch - which is a shame, as its looks suggest that the car has a lot more potential."

"
What’s it like?
The GT feels like a quality product and on the whole it offers an enjoyable driving experience. Performance is always brisk rather than outright quick and sporty probably isn’t a word you would use to describe it.
Off the line, the Clio feels sluggish but once the revs hit 2000rpm, things begin to improve. The healthy slug of torque ensures it pulls well through all six gears, but at 1200kg, this is a heavy supermini and more power overall would transform it into car into one which is sporty to drive as well as to look at.
We drove the GT for around 350 miles across an even split of motorway cruising, B-roads and city centre traffic. Its average fuel consumption always hovered around 45mpg. This is a long way down on the claimed 61.4mpg but still a respectable figure. Its 55 litre fuel tank means trips to the pumps will be infrequent.
The inclusion of sixth gear is a welcome addition on the motorway and ensures that extra bit of refinement needed to make the Clio a comfortable cruiser. Its CO2 figure of 123g/km is a bit disappointing considering a 3g/km drop would qualify it for cheaper road tax.
The ride certainly leans towards sporty without ever being too firm, although on more abrasive surfaces comfort is sacrificed. It’s certainly not at Renaultsport Clio 200 levels, however. The GT responds well to being driven hard on B-roads around and the steering, although a little artificial in feel, is well weighted and the GT can bring a smile to your face. There are no problems to report when driving the Clio in town or in traffic either.
Its interior, although not class leading, is still attractive. The GT sports seats support you well and the leather steering wheel and gearstick feel comfortable and suitably sporting. Unlike in more basic Clios, the GT’s steering wheel adjusts for reach and rake so it’s quite easy to find a decent driving position.
Should I buy one?
That depends. If you fancy sacrificing a bit of economy in exchange for a bit more poke and some sporty looks, then you can’t really go too badly wrong with the Renault. Performance isn’t exactly at Reanultsport Clio 200 levels, but it is brisk enough and is a real pleasure on the motorways."

"Car article comparing one with their long term petrol gt

"Life with our long-term Clio GT is coming to an end soon, but it's still proving to be a peach - it's not fast, but it's a joy to punt along. And its plus points were made all the more obvious when another Clio GT came to visit this month. This one was blue, rather than black, but confusingly it drank from the black pumps at petrol stations - the Clio GT is available either with our car's 126 bhp 1.6-litre petrol engine, or a 105 bhp oil-burner. And while our hatch loves to be revved and thrashed, the diesel unit is a clattery old lump. It means the blue GT demands a very different (read more relaxed) driving style, and the result is it doesn't feel anywhere near a sprightly.
It gets worse. Despite a large amount of motorway mileage during our time with the diesel GT, it averaged just 41mpg versus a claimed 61.4 - our GT is achieving 39.4mpg, almost bang on the on-paper promise of 40.9. In part that's because Sarah-Jayne drives like a saint - at least when one of us is in the passenger seat - but given the extra £971 the derv GT costs, you've got little reason to pick diesel over petrol.
Diesel superminis have never made sense, and even less so when they try to be cooking hatches - the comparison has only made our GT seem even better. Pity it goes back soon."

t0m

Megane 225 Turbo
Either one is poor in performance in terms of what I've got now.

The diesel has cheaper road tax and cheaper insurance and will average better MPG than the petrol, fact.

I get what you're saying though, but they're all going to be wallowy and poorly built, their Renault's!

I can't afford to keep throwing hundreds, nay thousands at my 225 to keep it on the road at only 4 years old. I think if I ever buy another RS. Besides, it's time for me to be sensible as I want a house more than I want a sports car, so having something that looks smart but returns good MPG for little road tax and insurance and the guarantee of no repair bills and 3 years free servicing (I couldn't get that on the petrol) it's a head over heart decision.

Here's hoping anyway!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
4571790017_4b1d7a79bc_b.jpg

Hiya. Gunna miss this bus :(

more reviews

Renault Clio GT DCI 106
Earlier this year, Renault announced a raft of improvements to its Clio small car range. Ian Robertson grabs the keys to the sportiest little number, the Clio GT.
Diesel hot hatches are all the rage now, as buyers have finally realised that they don’t actually have to forsake good looks or strong performance if they want the Holy Grail that is low emissions and great fuel economy. Renault was the latest manufacturer to a launch a driver focussed, good looking hot hatch when it revised its Clio range earlier this year. The result – the Clio GT, designed to sit half way between the cooking models and the, full-fat Renaultsport Clio 200 performance flagship.

As well as adopting all of the improvements that grace the 2009 Clio range, the new GT models are treated to sporty graphite 16-inch alloy wheels, a body kit with side skirts, rear tailgate spoiler, privacy glass and twin chrome exhaust pipes. Continuing the racing theme inside, there are sports seats emblazoned with the GT emblem, drilled aluminium pedals, a bright white rev counter, and a sports leather steering wheel. Sporty and comfortable don’t necessarily go hand-in-hand, but the Clio manages to combine the two. The sports seats are supportive, and the driving position comfortable, while there’s plenty of adjustment for both the seats and the steering wheel. The dashboard is attractively designed, with lots of squidgy, soft-touch plastics, which lends a quality, durable feel. The silver embellishments to the dashboard and centre console also lift the cabin from what could be a sea of grey. The wide opening doors allow easy access to the rear, with space for two adults in comfort. Both headroom and legroom compare well with the Clio’s peers, and boot space is generous, too. One niggle concerns the design of the interior door pull.

Due to its positioning, we found that it often needed a couple of attempts to get sufficient leverage to close the door. Most rivals get around this by offering a second door pull, within the drivers door armrest, making things considerably easier. Unusually for a supermini, the Clio GT has a six-speed gearbox as standard, whereas most of its rivals settle for just five. Its action is positive, and well matched to the smooth 105bhp 1.5-litre turbodiesel engine. Refinement is impressive and noise levels are low, both in terms of engine and road noise. On winding roads, the Clio handles well, with a poised chassis and plenty of grip. As you would expect with a car carrying the GT moniker, the suspension is tuned for sportiness, rather than outright comfort.

Price wise, the Clio is sits at around the same levels as its main rivals, and packs plenty of standard equipment. The only car to break ranks in terms of price is the SEAT Ibiza Sport, which has a £2,500 lower asking price, despite having a similar power output from its new 1.6-litre commonrail turbodiesel engine. Our Clio GT test car came equipped with a few factory fitted options, namely climate control, keyless entry, and a TomTom satellite navigation unit. The last item is new to the Clio range and operates in exactly the same way as the company’s familiar portable units. Instead of being touch screen, though, a small remote control unit is used to navigate around the screens.
Pros
Great looks, fun to drive, good quality, smooth and refined engine, five-star EuroNCAP safety rating

Cons
SEAT Ibiza costs £2.5k less, awkward design of the door pull, ride can be overly firm at times.
Engine: 1461cc, 4-cylinder, turbodiesel
Gearbox: 6-speed manual
Max power: 105bhp at 4,000rpm
Max torque: 177lb ft at 2,000 to 2,500rpm
Max towing weight: 1,200kg
Max speed: 118mph
0-62mph: 11.1secs
Combined consumption: 61.4mpg
CO2 emissions (taxband): 123g/km (D)
Loadbay: 288/1,038litres
Insurance group: 5

Another review of the GT diesel from Car magazine issue 571 (conflicting with other reviews!):

Renault Clio GT Diesel: Well Oiled (4/5 star rating)
A couple of small niggles can't disguise the fact that this is a fine car. You've got comfy seats, plenty of headroom front and rear for those six-feet plus, and it's easier to see out of than the Megane hatch. The 1.5-litre diesel serves up a juicy sweet spot from 2000 to 3000rpm that encourages you to work the chassis in an unrushed manner, and the meaty steering ensures you have faith in the pointy front end. It's a surprisingly involving drive.
Niggles? The engine's a little coarse when worked hard, and the otherwise supple chassis can become jagged over secondary jinks. There's also the fact that the similarly excellent petrol is nearly £1k cheaper, so make sure the maths add up before you overlook it.

Owners opinion having owned both

My company car is a Clio GT DCI 106 and i have also had a petrol GT before that. For me the diesel is better just because of the fuel economy but the petrol is more fun sounds good to. the ride and handeling of the gt is good, it holds the road very well and the ride is quite firm but not uncomfortable. one thing i do really like is the interior, its got the same seats as the 200 but they are half leather and you also get the renaultsport steering wheel which are really nice touches. overall its a good second choice to the 200

Clio GT 1.6
Have any of the clio gt members got an aftermarket exhaust system or induction kit?
Would be nice to know which one and from where?
Searching on this forum is a nightmare and not a lot of people with GT's to ask!
Thanks

Black Clio GT
panel filter is all you need... to hot under the bonnet for an open induction kit to work unless you go for a bmc cda or similar and run the caf to the wheel arch.
only aftermarket exhaust i kin find for the mk3 non sport is a mongoose/scorpion but theres no garentee it will fit in the rear kits recess properly and is also the same price as a custom exhaust from the likes of powerflow ect which is custom fit/better tail pipe options....

Clio GT 1.6
Thanks mat-nos appreciate the quick reply!
Ok I'll look into the panel filter any recommendations? and do these alter the sound at all of the car?
I have found Ktec have not had a clio gt so don't offer an exhaust system, got a quote from MIJ Performance for a cat back system for £300 but haven't heard any on this model.

Thanks

clio gt 2010
i've had mine about a month now, its white and sexeee! i have taken the clio badge off the back and i'm going to spray the renault badges grey like the alloys and wing mirrors. pics up soon.

Not a 320d
ps. the GT has the same airbox as a 197, ktec do an ITG pannel filter, i have one in mine. Brakes are the same as a regular 1.6 16v MK3, i have cross referenced the part numbers and they match.

Go get an exhaust custom made.

As for lowering, you have a choice of 45mm HR springs, or some HR coilovers, which IMO dont go low enough on the back. I have the Coilovers fitted too.

Part numbers for both are here;

http://www.h-r.com/de/n_produkt.php?id=1757

Renault Megane 2.0
im gettin 35mpg out my 1.2 is that good ofr s**t?

35mpg is pretty low mate... my 182 gets a better return than that if its driven nicely... if you arent killing it every time you drive i'd get it looked at...

Not a 320d
Debadge it ftw.

Check your brakes regularly. If you hear scraping when turning or in slow moving traffic you might have a seized caliper. I have this problem and ive got towed to renault this morning by RAC. I had to go with them and drive behind them as my car was too low to fit on the ramp. Jason E also had a problem with this im sure when he had his GT.