ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio GT 1.6 (128 Bhp)

Clio GT 1.6
I was under the impression it was part of the renaultsport range as it appears on the website and also due to renaultsport involved in the cars dampers and steering department?

Not a 320d
No. Definately not. Its got a gearbox and airbox from a clio 197 with different gear ratios, thats as far as it goes. Everything else is 1.6 clio or nissan micra.

Its a 1.6 clio with odd bits. Interior is not far off a 197 either.

2009-renault-clio-gt-interior.jpg

clio-renault-sport-197-interior1.jpg

Not a 320d
Same engine, different EUC and Airbox. 5 Speed box.

I think. Im sure there was another difference.

I wont be putting any badges on my car because people will flame me and badging a non-rs is immoral.

Clio GT 1.6
Thanks for the replies guys - looks like i'm not the only one lol!
I was only thinking of getting one to cover a tiny scratch caused by a garage door when the boot was open.

As the airbox is the same as a 197 does this mean that 197 induction kits and air filters will fit the car?

I'm looking towards getting an induction kit purely for the sound?

Not a 320d
Thanks for the replies guys - looks like i'm not the only one lol!
I was only thinking of getting one to cover a tiny scratch caused by a garage door when the boot was open.

As the airbox is the same as a 197 does this mean that 197 induction kits and air filters will fit the car?

I'm looking towards getting an induction kit purely for the sound?

Filters definately fit. I have a 197 ITG pannel fitted, but because of the engine layout and also because of the way the throttle body is angled on the 197 inlet manifold compared to ours, induction kits from a 197 will definately not fit.
I had an Induction kit (open cone filter) fitted on my first 1.2 and i took it off after about 2 months because i thought it sounded ridiculous but its all about personal preference.

renault-clio-rs197-engine.jpg

car_photo_307126_25.jpg

Might also be useful for you or anyone else with a GT to know that The GT uses the same Discs and Pads as a regular 1.6 16v MK3 clio.

R26
It's been a year since I bought my Clio GT 1.6 16v so I thought I write a little write up on my impressions. I've done 11 250 miles (18 000 km) in year, most of this is everyday city driving plus some spirited drives on B-roads when going on trips. The economy has improved and I averaged 33 mpg (8.5 l/100km) throughout the first year of ownership. On the mentioned spirited drives when I keep the revs between 5000 rpm and the red line, this drops down to 28 mpg.

Overall I can say I'm pretty happy with my Clio GT! It's smooth and comfortable for everyday driving, yet when you pick up the pace and keep it above 4500 rpms, it can definitely bring a smile to your face. The handling is pretty sharp, the steering fairly direct, the gearbox is precise and the engine sounds and feels sporty if you keep it in the other half of rev dial. The only thing that slightly spoils the driving dynamics for me is the clutch, as it lacks precision and bite and is more spongy that I would have liked. My Clio seems to be getting faster with more miles and the engine sounds better as well. The handling is an excellent compromise between comfortable yet sporty.

For ultimate performance, it's not Clio Sport and will never be, but it does offer the sporty dynamics and sufficient fun at a lower cost and lower running costs.

The only thing I'm thinking about is the re-map (particularly to improve low-down torque) so I would be interested in experiences if anyone has tried it.

R26
I also had an opportunity recently to try the Renault Wind, which packs a similar engine to the Clio GT - the one from Twingo RS.

Although being more expensive, the Wind has much poorer interior than the Clio GT (the Twingo RS is even worse in that regard). Wind handles better when pushed hard as the suspension is much firmer. However, it's also much more stiff and frankly annoying for city driving after a while (if the roads are like here in Croatia and in the UK - lived in UK for a while, so I can compare). I don't know how much Wind weighs compared to Clio GT, but probably the engine as well adds to the feeling of more progressive and more eager progress than the Clio GT at lower revs. At high revs I think they are about the same, however the Wind sounds like a coffee grinder while the Clio GT has a nice sporty tone to the engine. The gearbox in Wind is a huge let down in regards to Clio's excellent 6-speed gearbox. The gear change is noticeably notchy while the gear lever itself feels spongy. Plus, it lacks 6th gear. The ride is much more comfortable in Clio GT, while the Wind is almost as stiff as the Twingo RS with cup chassis. Wind also has more direct steering and does offer more grip.

Having driven both I've concluded I would definitely not pick the Wind over the Clio GT. That was my conclusion between Twingo RS (only driven the one with cup chassis) and the Clio GT as well. It will ultimately depend on what do you want/need from a car. You have to trash the Twingo everyday as nothing else makes sense - it's too firm and too hard for normal driving. The drive is harsh for anything else than sprints from traffic light to traffic light and corner to corner. The Wind is very similar.

The Clio GT is a much different animal. It's a much more usable everyday car with bags of equipment, seems better built, has much better interior yet it offers the sport feel, sound and handling when you switch to that mode.

Not a 320d
a usable everyday car with bags of equipment.

This.

Agree about the clutch, it is bullshit. Engine is all revs, little bit or torque and no sudden burst of power. Sometimes it feels as though it has a very linier power curve. It does move if you ring its b****cks.

Steering is a sack of s**t i think, the rack could be a bit quicker, and more firm.

Its fine........ as long as you dont want a renaultsport......

Moonlight Blue 225
Has anyone removed their resonator box yet, thinking about taking mine off, but dont know how it will sound/ perform?

Not a 320d
The extra box thing on the intake?

Ive removed mine and taped up the hole, seems to pull better at high revs but might just be me, at the same time there seems to be less pull low down, my fuel economy seems worse, averaging 27mpg at the moment. No sound difference.

Moonlight Blue 225
The extra box thing on the intake?

Ive removed mine and taped up the hole, seems to pull better at high revs but might just be me, at the same time there seems to be less pull low down, my fuel economy seems worse, averaging 27mpg at the moment. No sound difference.

Hmm i might take it off for a week and see how it goes, what does it even do?

Clio GT
Hello I 've take off all the original air intake pipes, resonators, etc since Summer this Year.

I've orderd a new cold intake pipes and a K&N changefilter. The Engine is now a lilbit louder from 3500 - 4000 tours to the end !! My mind is, that the engine runaway faster a lil bit !!

A Picture can I make tommorw for you !!

Greetings from Germany

Jens

Clio GT
Now, the pictures ...

Defitted the resonators :) und fit in a 63mm intake pipe :)

imag0163bgbt.jpg
imag0164je08.jpg
imag01656dhp.jpg
imag0166ze06.jpg

Greetings from Germany and a happy new Year 2011 :)

Jens

Clio GT
K-Tec search a development car for a new exhaust system back cat with or without centre silencer !! The need the car for only one week, and they offered a surrogate-car for this time.

If you are interested, mail me please!!

Greetings from Germany

after reading a few pages i got the impression that fuel consumption was a big problem, so i ask why did you not get the 1.5DCI 106 gt plenty of pull in that and will chip up to 140+ and still do better MPG than the 1.6 or 1.2TCE, tax is a bargin and the turbo spool sounds spot on, seems daft why anyone would get a petrol unless you were going to spend a bit of money tuning it but then that would be daft as you may aswell get a sport 182/197/200, i am a diesel fan as my first car was a Clio 1.5 DCI dymanique S 86 and that still had plenty of pull, and now im getting the GT 1.5 DCI 106 in silver which i intend to chip, lower, Powder Coat alloys black, and 20mm spacers on back.

Clio GT 1.6
after reading a few pages i got the impression that fuel consumption was a big problem, so i ask why did you not get the 1.5DCI 106 gt plenty of pull in that and will chip up to 140+ and still do better MPG than the 1.6 or 1.2TCE, tax is a bargin and the turbo spool sounds spot on, seems daft why anyone would get a petrol unless you were going to spend a bit of money tuning it but then that would be daft as you may aswell get a sport 182/197/200, i am a diesel fan as my first car was a Clio 1.5 DCI dymanique S 86 and that still had plenty of pull, and now im getting the GT 1.5 DCI 106 in silver which i intend to chip, lower, Powder Coat alloys black, and 20mm spacers on back.

I've owned my GT(1.6) since November last year and have covered over 5800 miles so far.
In terms of fuel consumption I don't think its too bad and neither do my family to be honest.
I can achieve at least 38 mpg + on motorways with cruise control on 75mph.

Recently on the last tank I averaged 32-33 and that was doing 390 miles on the tank before the light came on. And on this run this was motorway driving and local driving.
The mpg seems to decline a lot on local driving (stop/start) or short journeys but that is probably expected.

A diesel is only worth it if you are doing very high mileage, if not consider the extra cost of diesel however small it may seem and also if there is any difference in price.

Clio GT
Has anyone had there GT remapped yet? If so, whats it like? what was increases in power/torque, MPG etc Im tempted to, but dont know any good firms, or its its worth it. About the clio gt, i love the whine in 2nd gear when you floor it sometimes :) Petrol is not brilliant, but i do just town driving, and im averaged 30.7 MPG atm, thats with a mixture of sensible, and the occasssional http://www.cliosport.net/forum/images/smilies/smiley9.gif revvy drive :) Admit ive only had it around 18months and already looking for a new pwerfuler car

Clio GT 1.6
Has anyone had there GT remapped yet? If so, whats it like? what was increases in power/torque, MPG etc Im tempted to, but dont know any good firms, or its its worth it. About the clio gt, i love the whine in 2nd gear when you floor it sometimes :) Petrol is not brilliant, but i do just town driving, and im averaged 30.7 MPG atm, thats with a mixture of sensible, and the occasssional http://www.cliosport.net/forum/images/smilies/smiley9.gif revvy drive :) Admit ive only had it around 18months and already looking for a new pwerfuler car

I just had the center silencer removed and a straight pipe put in two days ago.
Sounds much better I will try and upload a clip.

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
I've owned my GT(1.6) since November last year and have covered over 5800 miles so far.
In terms of fuel consumption I don't think its too bad and neither do my family to be honest.

Recently on the last tank I averaged 32-33 and that was doing 390 miles on the tank before the light came on. And on this run this was motorway driving and local driving.
The mpg seems to decline a lot on local driving (stop/start) or short journeys but that is probably expected.

A diesel is only worth it if you are doing very high mileage, if not consider the extra cost of diesel however small it may seem and also if there is any difference in price.

sounds the same as my Audi A4, but i get 55mpg at 70ish on the motorway.

except that the A4 is a big estate with a 1.8 Turbo petrol engine lol.

No the diesel is great around town not just high milage, the torque in it feeds in so smoothly and pushes you into the seat, the 1.6 seems to be abit jerky but doesn't really have the same pull or excitement okay so the engine screams at you when you give it abit of aggro which just makes you think it's sporty but tbh it's still not like the diesel, in the way its not smooth and it doesn't have the noise from the turbo spooling, it feels like a much more refined engine, something you would expect Audi or VW to have, not trolling mate just think the diesel is the better option considering it isn't that much more expensive realistically and you save money on it everywhere else such as the with out trying 60 mpg okay so diesel Is 5p more per litre not a problem when I only have to go half as much as the petrol equivilent would have to, also the chip in the diesel is well worth the money, will give some other little hatches on the road a good run for Thier money.

Clio GT 1.6
sounds the same as my Audi A4, but i get 55mpg at 70ish on the motorway.

except that the A4 is a big estate with a 1.8 Turbo petrol engine lol.

Wow, what year is your Audi a4 if you don't mind me asking? I think that's more than even Audi's figures?

They are both 1.5 diesels, well they do come standard with half leather seats any way, yeah it has got the Tom Tom, electronic climate control, traction control switch, sunroof, iPod connectivity, folding wingmirrors, start stop button. The full leather option is abit pricey and you dont really get that much more leather to be honest. The blue one is pretty much basic as it doenst have Tom Tom or iPod connectivity just a line in jack, my brother likes to think it's the stripped out tracked version cause it doesn't have all toys in, yeah I really like the silver it's hard to find pictures for them so they can't be that many kicking around, I like the Malta blue just too popular for me, had it for 24 hours now and I'm completely in love with it, We both went to a cruise tonight in memorial for a drag racer who recently died in a race, and even though they didn't really fit in the scene we got plenty of questions and looks, so overall I'm really pleased, thanks for the nice comments