ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thought I'd share....

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Car looked mega at Rockingham from the pics mate!.. Love the wrap you have on it and the livery!
Thinking I need a racy livery on mine!

HAHA what ya like!!

Yeah sorry I did get your email buddy been so busy didn't have chance to reply! Lindop finished my wishbones and my oh my am I glad i had him do them!! Superb job the guy is my hero!!! Did a little wee when I picked them up!!

Busy???...... your a student bum Ant ;) all you do is lounge around all day pretending to listen in lectures! haha

CLIO 182
Busy???...... your a student bum Ant :wink: all you do is lounge around all day pretending to listen in lectures! haha
you cheeky blighter haha!! 😂 I wish I had time to lounge around haha!! Dont even have time for my lectures!! My life revolves around Formula Student (but you know that) :tonguewink:, Work and lastly my Clio. Suppose I should mention my GF in there too :innocent:

Renault Clio 172
HAHA what ya like!!

Yeah sorry I did get your email buddy been so busy didn't have chance to reply! Lindop finished my wishbones and my oh my am I glad i had him do them!! Superb job the guy is my hero!!! Did a little wee when I picked them up!!
I saw the wishbones mate,mother looked spot on! I didn't wee though.

Renault Clio 172
Bit of work taken place on the Clio today. Full new suspension!

Actually a very easy job, even for me, who doesn't know what he's doing! We got a set of the Role Centre Kit's from James Ashton (thanks pal).

d6ac6527e5f5b7ff8844625e47feb49c_zpscofjyr4f.jpg

fd025fe354113310af6535e6b04e7248_zps2s2lty4b.jpg

The hubs needed a clean up and paint, but other than that, spot on!

We started by stripping the old stuff off, cleaning the inner arches of all the crap they had picked up on the track, and gave them a lick of stone chip paint. Think it looks pretty good!

9d63ff641698d2109ee616006b5cddf6_zpstwcrn9tb.jpg

Then, started building it back up. Back first, as it was the easiest

04f1982d3640492717d0a6774eedd036_zpsyxe1e0nn.jpg

Then on to the front.

c82d99fcf11838a221a705a0172acd4c_zpswlhr7vfk.jpg

595e9c936ce51c35f908149b23f30fc7_zpsvjxqewve.jpg

It took about 2 hours to fit all the new kit. Helps obviously having a ramp to work off, rather than just the floor!

We then set too, to get it lower. Took advice over the ride height, and set it up. About 45mm lower then the last time I raced!

2affa1cd1c41170527aae67f9c7ef317_zpskbj8hxzc.jpg

Took out for a spin around the car park, to get it all settled in.

0d16292c028d06d24b5bfb1059347504_zpsrk1ln8wk.jpg

f571b18ff3c579323293159bed8f26b3_zpszlwtaa2l.jpg

Can't wait to get that Novice cross off! Only one more race and I'll then be official!

Also, after the spin at Rockingham, I felt vulnerable at the side, so decided to add some more strength. It may be more weight, but I don't particularly fancy being hurt in a crash, so worth the sacrifice!

6b23bffb4d24c034a26a1565898f47b1_zpsnojhqr9j.jpg

That's it for now. Tomorrow night it's getting corner weighed and set up with @Ant_Smiggy So, hopefully it'll be ready Brands Hatch on Friday!

clio cup
Learn the car Andrew,,,,,
I'm not just saying that to be a pain, but your doing alot of upgrades when you havnt yet got a grip of the car,,,
I'm speaking from experience mate

Really might have to think about getting me a set of these now they can be made in smaller batches, I've heard nothing but good things after fitting them. Will be interesting to see how you get on with them.

CLIO 182
Hubba hubba haha looking awesome dude! No better way to learn than in a car with the correct setup! IMO! The car was all wrong before with rally style dampers and a crazy ride height! So doesn't help with the learning curve. Least the car is running how it's gonna be for a while now so no drastic set up changes! Albeit not ideal doing when the season has started but still a few rounds to go!

Hopefully tomorrow is as successful as I'd like!

Ant :)

Renault Clio 172
Really might have to think about getting me a set of these now they can be made in smaller batches, I've heard nothing but good things after fitting them. Will be interesting to see how you get on with them.
I don't think there has been a smaller batch made, I think this was the last set he had.

Looking good Andrew, I do see Dave's point about learning the car first but also see Anthony's point about learning in a car thats set up correctly will be more beneficial (again learning from experience). It doesn't help when the Clios are all different specs so hard to judge driver improvemnts, apart from improved lap times. Again hard to tell if its driver or modification related thats taken the seconds off, I suspect both make a combined effort.

Good thing that the hubs are being made but sad now as my hubs are longer "Limited Edition" :( lol

Renault Clio 172
Nice one mate.. Good to see the door crosses in!.. Interested to see how much it weighs, have you had it weighed before?
Yes, after the first batch of work I had done, it weighed in at 891KG, without me in it. I haven't made any significant changes since then (other than the engine rebuild, which i dont think would have changed the weight). We did weigh them before we fit them, and I am expecting to see an increase of 16kg.

clio cup
Dont get me wrong guys, I'm not knocking Andrew in any way.
Now that he has a decent suspension set up the learning curve begins and was just trying to make a point that throwing money at the car does not always give results,
See you Friday mate

Renault Clio 172
Dont get me wrong guys, I'm not knocking Andrew in any way.
Now that he has a decent suspension set up the learning curve begins and was just trying to make a point that throwing money at the car does not always give results,
See you Friday mate
Dave, I appreciate all the input, and din't think you were doing anything other than helping. I've only really spent on things that I felt needed doing. We didn't know anything about the engine, so just fro reliability, needed to check it. the suspension work was on advice from everyone.

Other than tires now, I think it's pretty much done. And I've run out of budget!

Renault Clio 172
Been a while since my last update.

Anyway, the car has been going fantastically. Raced with Tricolore guys at Brands, and loved it. Ended up 10th overall, which isn't that impressive, but I'm happy with it. It's only my 4th time out and I've loads to learn.

Anyway, changed the break pads last week, in preparation for Cadwell on the 18th, and as the car was all loaded up and ready to go, I thought I'd take it for a track day to Croft. So went on Monday.

Never been there before and thought it was a great circuit. Much faster than I expected. The hairpin was impossible! Don't think i got it right once!

Only went out in the morning, as we started to lose gears. Struggled to get it from 3rd to 2nd, and then completely lost reverse!

We worked out that a circlip had fallen out of the gear linkage, so didn't matter what we did with the stick, it was never going to go in gear! All sorted now though.

My best time was 1:45.4. No idea if that is any good there, but there were a few new Clio Cup cars there testing, and the best they got was a 1:41, and they were running slicks! Not sure how much difference they make?

Only got one video, as I kept forgetting to push record! And I'm going to have to alter the position of the camera. Punting, as it's too far from the screen.

We also had an issue starting it. Since the engine build, it's always been harder to get it going. Think it's because it's a high compression now? Anyway, just to make sure, I'm putting a new Alternater and Starter motor in tomorrow.

A couple of cosmetic changes. Put some white front light blanks in, and fitted the white wheels. Think it looks pretty good now:)

image.jpg1_zpsnqvtzwwo.jpg

image.jpg2_zps60v7mw8m.jpg

Other than that, the car is good to go. Not sure what the grid will end up like for Cadwell, but hope it's a good one, and I'll try to remember to record the races!

Renault Clio 172
Nice one Andrew, how long did you spend on track, and did you play about with the setting?

I think the cam looks great where it is maybe move it over to the left to cut out the seat back.
We had about 6 or 7 15/20 sessions, so loads of track time. No, I didn't play around with the set up at all. It felt spot on from the first lap, so didn't really want to change it. I need to stop doing things to the car and just get used to it. The new brake discs made a hell of a difference! I still have standard Callipers, but upgraded the pads to CL RS8's. The breaks feel at least twice as good! Wouldn't want them on a road car mind, a bit harsh!

Renault Clio 172
Sounds good Andrew :smile:

I'll try dig out my croft data but 1.35 rings a bell on a Trackday. The Clio cup cars this year were doing low 1.32's
Some work to do then! I could have found a couple of seconds on a clear track, but not that much more!

Renault Clio 172
Ages since I've updated, and as its a quiet Sunday morning, I thought I might as well!

Okay, not really changed much on the car, just been getting used to it. Didn't do too good at Cadwell last time out though, as had real trouble with fuelling. Qualified in 7th, but could have been quicker. I was struggling with the car loosing power in 4th, couldn't even get enough speed to find 5th gear!

Back in the pits, we thought it was the fuel pump. Luckily, Dave Bell had a spare, so we stopped it over.

Started the first race well, kept my spot from the start and took a place on the second corner. Then, the problem started getting worst. Started loosing power in all gears. It mainly seemed to happen around corners, so we presumed it was fuel starvation! Finished first race in 13th!

So we brimmed the tank, to test/try out if it was fuel starvation. 51litres worth of extra weight! Anyway, it wasn't that, and I didn't finish the first lap. Ended up limping back to the pits and loaded up for a irritated trip home!

If you listen, you can hear it missing on the video, and see the difference as I got paced!

Long story short, we went back to basics at RS Tuning, and looked at the things we had done. We had changed the starter motor and alternator, mainly as a precaution as I'd been struggling to start. We checked all the wiring, and one of the wires was touching the manifold, and had burned through! Problem solved!

So, the good news, while we RS, we got the car back on the dyno, and got some more power out of it

image.jpg1_zpsoxohslt7.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsppfz386o.jpg

We also had it running for over an hour, without a single misfire, so hopefully it's mended.

I'm out at Blyton on Wednesday this week, to test before we go down to Silverstone at the weekend. Fingers crossed it's all sorted!

Renault Clio 172
Also, forgot to mention that I've had it on the scales.

image.jpg3_zpso4xvfun0.jpg

Not bad, I don't think :) this was with 20 litres of fuel! We did get the corners within 3kg at the front, but couldn't get any closer than 13kg at the rear.

A couple of shot from Cadwell when it was going, and I've had the van painted, following the damage my wife caused when she borrowed it!

image.jpg1_zpsba5fvcij.jpg

image.jpg4_zpssqdu4cpp.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsbg0o42oo.jpg

So, jobs to do after Silverstone:

Cutting out the 172 spare wheel hole and welding a plate over that.
Change the fuel system to a 30l tank and re pipe the fuel lines inside the car.
Change the steering to power.
New exhaust system and one of them wild manifolds:)

Hopefully the rear end changes, and moving the fuel tank will help balance the weight a bit better, and probably reduce the overall weight. I'd imagine the steering convention will reduce it a bit as well, so could end up with an even lighter car:)

We may also update the front brake calipers too, but I'm not sure if I want to do that. The last time out they felt really good, so it may be a waste of time. I'm running standard calipers st the moment, with racing pads (can't remember what they are called) I'll make that call after Silverstone.

I binned my 4pots and went back to standard, just make sure their well maintained.

Great update thats some serious weight reduction there, cant see how you managed to get down in to the 60s, are you running perspex windcreen?

Renault Clio 172
I binned my 4pots and went back to standard, just make sure their well maintained.

Great update thats some serious weight reduction there, cant see how you managed to get down in to the 60s, are you running perspex windcreen?
Ha, no mate. If it makes you feel any batter, I also have no idea how I got down to that weight! I actually got one of the corner scales and weighed myself, and it courted I'm a fat bugger, so it must be right :)