ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thought I'd share....

Renault Clio 172
Ha, no mate. If it makes you feel any batter, I also have no idea how I got down to that weight! I actually got one of the corner scales and weighed myself, and it courted I'm a fat bugger, so it must be right :)
And I have the scales with me every race weekend, if you wanted to borrow them.

Renault Clio 172
I think the whole thing about brakes is a debate to be had. Either way, I'm going to strip them down, clean them and give them a lick of paint! They are rusty as hell!

Renault Clio 172
Okay, shocking day today!

Track day at Blyton Park (which is a great track,moor those that haven't been). Two things to check: firstly that we cured the missing issue, secondly to test the amount of fuel we use in a 15 minute race.

Failed on both accounts!

Ten minutes in to the first session, it started missing again. Not as bad as before, but still struggling. It's as though it doesn't want to rev past 5000 revs. So putting your foot down in 3rd, getting ready for 4th, it never actually gets up to speed!

So, came in again, let it cool down and tried again. This time we lasted 7 minutes before it started again. Even worse this time.

Back in, and on to the phone with Paul at RS. He suggested I go out again, and check the amount of volts I'm generating, and if it drops when it misses. Also, keep an eye on the temp, as we already know it runs a tad high, at 98/99. Back out we went, and 4 minutes in, it started again. I did two laps with it misfiring (much to the irritation of those who had to pass me) and the volts didn't drop, and the temp was constant at 99.

At that point, we decided there was no point being there, so packed up and headed off to RS Tuning, who I must say dropped everything to help, and I'm very grateful of that.

We have a few things to look at: it only happens when the car is up to temperature, and the car is running too hot. We also know that we have changed the starter motor, Alternator and changed the automatic cut off from a cable system to an electric button system. Before we did them changes, we didn't have this problem. We also know that this only happens under load,many when being thrown around!

We have also tried two different fuel pumps, so don't think it's that. Our original thought, was that it was the fuel pump when we were at Cadwell, so changed it and the fault just got worse (probably as the temp got hotter).

Anyway, back at RS and straight on the dyno. Ran it to temp without the fan on, and actually got it up to 103 degrees, so far too warm. Not a single fault! Revved perfectly and didn't miss a beat! Typical!!

So, we checked all the earths, and wiring for the things we had changed. It all seemed good, but has a small current when tested between the engine and body earth. When I say small, it was 0.4 volts(?) or whatever the thing reads. This lead us to think that it must be/could be an earthing issue. A couple of the TARC guys had also said the same.

Another thing we checked, was the Cam sensor. It didn't seem to be faulty, as it didn't show anything up on the dyno, but we got a new one anyway and changed it.

Only other thing we can think of, is to add another earth from Engine to Body, and check everything else is intact. So tomorrow, we are going to check every single earth and electrical connection, add a couple more earths, and double, double check the wiring on the electric cut off button. It's so hard to find the fault when you can't replicate it!

We are also trying to find a bigger and better radiator and maybe a double fan, that can be delivered overnight tomorrow, so we can fit it first thing Friday!

If anyone can offer any help or recommendations for us to check, I'd be very grateful. As it stands at the moment, I'll be going to Silverstone on Saturday, and expect to be using the event as testing/fault finding! Hoping that one of the much more experienced guys than me, will be able to come up with something! @sonny172cup @Russ Rallye @Tony Hunter @dinger

Renault Clio 172
Ow, and on the positive side, since we changed the Cam sensor, we tested it again and got it up to 227.9bhp! Just need to make it work now!!

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
That's why I always over 'bond' everything. Easy way to check that though. Couple of jump leads clipped on the engine/gearbox to a known good earth or even battery terminal to eliminate that. Are the factory earth cables still present, main one being the one on the front of the subframe passenger side.
Russ

Renault Clio 172
That's why I always over 'bond' everything. Easy way to check that though. Couple of jump leads clipped on the engine/gearbox to a known good earth or even battery terminal to eliminate that. Are the factory earth cables still present, main one being the one on the front of the subframe passenger side.
Russ
We did that, and that's how we found the residence. But it was intermittent. And only showed up when the engine was off. As soon as we started it, ip the reader went to 0.00. And is it amps, or volts?

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
No need. Only thing you need to measure is resistance (ohms) between the engine casing and a known good earth if it's not very close to 0 then you've got issues. It's irrelevant if engines running or not. Only other thing to check is there's no issues with your battery cut off if it breaks the connection from battery neg to chassis when switched off, mine does but can't remember what type you have.
Russ

Renault Clio 172
No need. Only thing you need to measure is resistance (ohms) between the engine casing and a known good earth if it's not very close to 0 then you've got issues. It's irrelevant if engines running or not. Only other thing to check is there's no issues with your battery cut off if it breaks the connection from battery neg to chassis when switched off, mine does but can't remember what type you have.
Russ
Can you repeat all that in a language a double glazing salesman would understand :)

So, as we are reading 0.4 to 6.8, you'd say there was an issue? Even though that goes when the engine is started? We took the reading off the top of the suspension, and the head, so I'd have thought they were good places to check? And I'll get the cut off checked.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
The reason the high resistance might disapear once running is it maybe picking up a ground through the ecu once switched on or something. If the fault went away when the jump leads were clipped all over the place then just replicate that in a neater more permanent fashion. I can do it at Silverstone if you haven't sorted it by then but obviously it would be nice to be 100% sure that's the problem tbh.
Russ

Renault Clio 172
The reason the high resistance might disapear once running is it maybe picking up a ground through the ecu once switched on or something. If the fault went away when the jump leads were clipped all over the place then just replicate that in a neater more permanent fashion. I can do it at Silverstone if you haven't sorted it by then but obviously it would be nice to be 100% sure that's the problem tbh.
Russ
We will check everything before we set off! And hopefully deal with the heat issue. I was going to ask Kev if he could lend me his gadget to plug in to the ecu, to see what's going on. If he doesn't mind, can you read the info it gives?

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Standard bottom earth strap is still on mine + some 16mm2 cable from the oe earth point next to the passenger headlight to the gearbox mount cradle on to the engine block above the thermostat housing.
Russ
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439403393.040694.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439403408.756619.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439403421.193830.jpg

I had a very similar issue at one point when running an adaptronic, the cause was a broken wire is the lambda sensor loom causing a short, try checking the continuity between those wires and corresponding ecu pins (I don't have a diagram to hand so can't help on what pins those are)

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having mate. I am happy to have a look at it at Silverstone as well.

I'm sure with the combined knowledge of everyone who is going we should be able to come up with something.

Renault Clio 172
Sorry to hear about the issues you are having mate. I am happy to have a look at it at Silverstone as well.

I'm sure with the combined knowledge of everyone who is going we should be able to come up with something.
Thanks mate. Appreciated. We are currently fitting a new radiator, with 2 fans, to try an get the engine cooler! Problem is, it's a tad too big, so going to be a squeeze! we read the core size, instead of the full width! It's about 10mm to big to fit, although it will fit perfectly when we change to EPAS, after the weekend. It may be time for the hammer to come out!

Renault Clio 172
We got all the earths checked, and found a couple of suspect ones, so have sorted them and added a couple more from the engine to the body.

One thought we had, is that with the engine running so hot, would it be possible for the petrol to be evaporating? I had an issue with that on my beetle, and cured it by insulation the fuel pipes.

Renault Clio 172
race report from Silverstone:

From what I expected to be a shocker of a day, ended up been really good.

As I've mentioned, I was struggling with a fuelling problem, and loss of power. A load of scratching heads later, and no changes being made to the car, I decided to go out for race one with the data logger on, so we can try and find the fault (as it didn't work in Qualli).

But, one of the chaps suggest I clean the petrol filter out, as that could cause this problem. So I set too, to take the fuel pump out and have a look. Everything in the filter was fine! As I started to fit it back in, I noticed that 2 of the pipes that looked like they should be together weren't, so clipped them in an re fitted. Didn't really think much about it, as I presumed I'd caused them to come apart when taking the fuel pump out.

So, starting from the back of the grid, I decided to let the pack go, and do a couple of laps recording data, to take back and try to find the fault. I didn't push the car at all, as I expected it to fault straight away. Well, I didn't! In fact it was running spot on! I'd obviously mended it!

At this point, I was 29th and about quarter of a lap behind the last man! I put my foot down and started pushing the car. Within 2 laps of trying, I'd taken about 10 places! All was good until I lost it on Copse (I think that's what it's called) and all but one of the people I'd passed flew passed me!

I got them back and slowly worked my way through the pack! It was awesome! Finished in 13th!

Start per the second race were I finished the first, in 13th. I had a shocking start, I need to work on them! Anyway, got going and passed a few. I got in to eighth place and had no one in front of me! The main pack had gone. One of the regular front runners (Sonny) had had a spin earlier on, and was working his way through. I could see him chasing me down, but to no avail! He caught me and passed me with a few laps to go, so ended up in 9th! Still my best finish yet!

With Sonny catching and passing me, in a very similar spec car to mine, I realised how much more I have to learn! Both about the car and how to drive. I was 1.5 seconds off his lap time, on a short track!

I need more practice and some lessons!

Anyway, a long post, and for those that could be bothered to read it, thank you.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Congrats on a good weekend and hopefully finally fixed your issues :)

Be good to see footage of your first race of you have any :)

Renault Clio 172
A couple of bits bought for after after Castle Combe. They are off at the wrappers at the moment.

Thanks Chris from CM Composites for the Bonnet and the Spoiler (which I forgot to photo), and PMS for the boot lid. Both look good bits of kit.

I'll stick them on the scales before I fit them, to see the difference. I already have my bonnet and boot lid trimmed, so not sure on the gain ill get.

IMG_6742_zpsk83rtpas.jpg

IMG_6741_zps8ywj80x2.jpg

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Good purchases!...Id be interested to see what they weigh compared to what they quote.. I worked out savings the other week based on quotes weights and then weighing the steel standard parts:

Standard:
Door - 25kg (with glass)
Bonnet- 12kg
Boot - 15kg (with glass)
Total = 77kg

Fibreglass:
Door - 5kg + 2kg (poly window) = 7kg
Bonnet - 4kg
Boot - 5kg +3kg (poly screen) = 8kg
Total = 26kg

Overall weight save is impressive = 51kg!

Renault Clio 172
Good purchases!...Id be interested to see what they weigh compared to what they quote.. I worked out savings the other week based on quotes weights and then weighing the steel standard parts:

Standard:
Door - 25kg (with glass)
Bonnet- 12kg
Boot - 15kg (with glass)
Total = 77kg

Fibreglass:
Door - 5kg + 2kg (poly window) = 7kg
Bonnet - 4kg
Boot - 5kg +3kg (poly screen) = 8kg
Total = 26kg

Overall weight save is impressive = 51kg!
I'm sure my door weighed more than that. I still had all the electrics in, etc. I'll stick them on the scales, before I fit them.

the spoiler is a big weight saving too! I think they quote it at about 3kg, but it felt light as a feather!

Once they are all fitted, with the wrap and hinges, etc, i'll weigh the whole car, and see the difference.

That will def help mate all that weight saving, I did a comprehensive list in my build thread with everything listed, also keep a secondary list on my phone. My doors are Kevlar, slight different internal design as they use alloy reinforcement brackets for the door handles but theres not that much in it.

a73d2cdc636b468619a3e3acdab0169b.jpg

Renault Clio 172
That will def help mate all that weight saving, I did a comprehensive list in my build thread with everything listed, also keep a secondary list on my phone. My doors are Kevlar, slight different internal design as they use alloy reinforcement brackets for the door handles but theres not that much in it.

a73d2cdc636b468619a3e3acdab0169b.jpg
Do you know what your's weighs Sonny? I think I got mine wrong when i did it, as I weighed mine and Russ's at Silverstone, and it came in a touch over 900kg. It did have 3/4 tank of petrol, so probably 15kg over starting race weight. Can't remember what Russ's was, but it was a lot lighter!

10ltrs of fuel weighs 9kg iirc )1ltr = 900gr

Mine weighs 872 dry (no fuel) 888kg with fuel (set for mid race)

Those pit garage floors wasn't truly flat, they was running out to the left, I set the digi gauge on them as was gonna check camber. Hope you shimmed/measured your scales before (unless you didn't corner wight)

Renault Clio 172
10ltrs of fuel weighs 9kg iirc )1ltr = 900gr

Mine weighs 872 dry (no fuel) 888kg with fuel (set for mid race)

Those pit garage floors wasn't truly flat, they was running out to the left, I set the digi gauge on them as was gonna check camber. Hope you shimmed/measured your scales before (unless you didn't corner wight)
We didn't corner weigh, just weighed the vehicle out of interest - to be fair on the floor, it was only 3mm out when I checked it (I forgot to bring my packers to level it.

With the boot and bonnet done, we should be the same weight then, I'd have thought.

Renault Clio 172
All set up and ready for a days racing at Castle Combe, with the friendly bunch at Tricolore Trophy. Good to see a few newbies with us this weekend, good luck to you all

af12f5fd28bf6c976dde4c5928ab90b0.jpg

I've brought helpers this weekend, and passed on the responsibility of pushing record to then, so hopefully have video to show later

Renault Clio 172
Castle Combe race weekend:

Had a great time! I'm starting to get the feel of the car now. It was my first time to Castle Combe, so didn't have anything to compare my time to, other than TARC from last year.

I qualified in 10th, which I was quite happy with, with a time of 1.23 ish. The faster guys were running at 1.19 I think, so a fair amount off the pace. I knew I had some more in it, but just needed to get out there and do more laps.

Had a good enough start. Didn't gain anything, or lose anything, which I always class as a success :). Had a good race with a chap in a 206. He had a bit less power than me, but is a really good driver with loads of experience. I finished in 9th.

Race 2 started where I finished, in 9th. Had an awesome start, and passed 3 or 4 cars! Best start I've had! Ended up having a close race right to the end, with the same 206 and an older 205! I got passed them both, and started chasing down 6th place! Car was running brilliantly. Unfortunately, I asked too much of the car, and my ability and skidded off and only just missed the tyre wall! (See video at 5 mins). Got back on track, after the two guys I'd passed, passed me back! Probably lost 6/7 seconds! Spend the next 10 mins catching them back, which I did, and passed them both again! Unfortunately the 7th place didn't stand, as there was a red flag out, and I passed him just after the start finish line! Still quite happy with 8th! Got my lap time down to 1:20.12

So, overall, the best weekend I've had. Improved my time massively, and gave me something to work on.

No more development on the car for a while now, as I'm just going to spend time getting used to it.

Next race for me, is the Autumn Trophy, at Snetterton, on the 1st of November.