ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The White ph1 172 track car. Epic content!

Trafic 140dci
Wheels still look pimp as Lewis! ;)

Also about the hole saw/swagger tool, swear I saw you owned this set? If so fancy letting me borrow it for a fee? :)

Nick
Thanks mate, hate not having them on the car tbh, think they are perfect for the car :) The F1's will be going the same colour infact ;)

Yes i have a 44mm swager, the hole saw you can buy from your local screw fix for around £10, mine i use for work so can't really be lending them out. Once i get the hole saw back from dmallett i'll post it down to you :)

Trafic 140dci
Final preperation today :) So started by taking all the wheels off, having a nose behind, then making sure they are all done up tight, followed that by raising the rear suspension a little bit. I then moved onto the engine bay, first job was to fit new Jubilee clips to the coolant hoses, never trusted the standard Renault things. After this i checked all the fluids and topped up the coolant. No photo's of this as it's all pretty pointless to get photo's of!

I did notice though the O-ring on my m8 temp sensor had gone and was weeping coolant, so just done it up tight and it seems ok at the moment, also one of the bolts on the upper gearbox mount had rattled loose so done that up.

Once this was done got the car running and warm and balanced the ITB's, cheeky little picture of perfect balance :)

download-11.jpg

They are all reading the same btw ;) Then reset my throttle position sensor so that was bang on.

After that i took the car for a quick spin to make sure i'm happy with everything and i was, so once i came home had a few safety things to fit, nothing to challenging really.

download1-8.jpg

Was then about to get my 1 bucket out and give it a wash and thought, no f*ck it, i'll have done 150 miles before anyone see it so it will be filthy anyway. I'll perhaps get it washed once i get there if i'm that bothered lol.

That's it for now, next update will be when i get back from Nurburgring.

ph1 172
Great stuff Lewis.

I still have a few bits to do to mine but nothing too serious. My camber gauge turned up today so I will re do my front wheel alignment setting the camber to -2 degrees and 20mins of toe out, oh and loads of positive castor :D

Not long now and I cannot wait!

Trafic 140dci
Just back from Nurburgring and time for an update! What can i say, the car was spectacular! Perfect for the track, drove faultlessly all the way there, only problem i had was a radiatior bracket snapped on the way, but this was soon fixed in Belguim with some cable ties. It did annoy me how quickly temperature built up whilst the car was sitting in traffic so i'm now thinking about having a custom alloy rad made with some proper mounts :)

Once i got to Camping am Nurburgring i swapped to my A048's for the remainder of the weekend, and Saturday hit the track. As much as the busy atmosphere was brilliant for the pure car p**n, it did mean for a very busy track, roads, petrol stations and 3 deaths over the weekend on the track :( So i'm thinking next year i will go when it's quieter. All in all Saturday i got in 4 Brilliant laps. My First lap was 10:20 which shocked me as i was expecting in the region of 12 minutes. By my 4th lap (last of the day) i got it down to 9:36 with 3 yellow flags holding me up, and a bike who thought it would be fun to try and race me which was absolutely stupid on his part as he held me up in the bends then left me on the straits. Only got the 4 laps in due to how busy it was and being cautious and checking my car every lap.

Sunday i went to go out on the track when i got pulled up for a noise test, i was bricking it to say the least! No way would i pass at 95db!! Then he said rev to 3500 which shocked me, and i passed! So was a very close one, the Nurburgring officials then scrutineered my car. He also pointed to my throttle bodies/air filter and said that it is illegal in Germany :S but because my car was UK it was OK. He also said with having a cage i have to either have foam padding round it, or wear a helmet which wasn't a problem. But as i had left the helmet at the camp site i had to leave the track to go get it. On the way back i started to notice a knocking on my car. We had a quick look and Danny/Rhys said it could be a driveshaft, this being said i called it a day on the track as i wanted to drive my car home!

We then later investigated it to find it was actually a track rod end, and i have already today bought 2x new ones ready to fit at the weekend :)

Anyway was an amazing weekend, the write up above doesn't cover the half of it.

Also worked out my MPG is actually really good, was getting 35mpg on the motorways cruising at about 80, with the odd bit of spirited driving :) Think that may be partly due to the 421's saving all the power for after 4500 ish rpm...

Here are the photo's they say more than i could ever....

_2654425.jpg

IMG_6218.jpg

IMG_6217.jpg

_2654426.jpg

3-2.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg

Just after the drive there:
IMG_2251.jpg

My ring card:
IMG_2252.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

IMG_2256.jpg

IMG_2268.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2353.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2329.jpg

IMG_2327.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

P1010458.jpg

P1010452.jpg

P1010448.jpg

P1010447.jpg

P1010426.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

P1010486.jpg

P1010506.jpg

P1010513.jpg

P1010518.jpg

P1010526.jpg

P1010520.jpg

And finally my 2 favorites.
IMG_2632.jpg

IMG_2631.jpg

Trafic 140dci
Some top pics there! Looks at home on the track.
Like the edit ;)

sounds like you had a great time mate,
3 deaths, thats crazy, we went when it was quite and it was so much fun,

car looks great too
It was great thanks. I know it's really sad, but you've really got to have your wits about you there with the locals going round like mad men. The bike that held me up is lucky to be alive with his riding, was riding around not letting anyone past, without a care in the world, is only a matter of time for people like that :/

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
On my first ever 'ring trip we were unfortunate enough to be following a guy on a bike who hit the armco and died instantly as a result of it. Because we were the first car on the scene we got held by the police whilst they carried out a full investigation. Luckily for us we had a camera in the car filming the lap which showed it was purely the rider running out of talent. That was way back in 1998 and I've been going every year thereafter once or twice a year.

I'm returning in September as we are off to spa for the f1 and I cannot wait!! There is no place like it for pure adrenalin rush and the challenge is what keeps me returning. I came close to moving out there I love it so much!! Lol!

8:40's are the aim for me this year or even lower if I take my 15's with track tyres on.

Clio 172
Looks like you had a good time. I haven't been for about five years or so and I'd like to go back but there are alot of other tracks I need to go and drive.

Looks awesome on track mate - well suited to it

I miss pinnochios.. really must try and get back this year

I did a 9.40 when my car was standard a few years back. Hoping for mid 8's this year when I make it back :D
That being said you have to have a special kind of stupidity to push on the 'ring - especially when you're driving your car back again lol!

Trafic 140dci
On my first ever 'ring trip we were unfortunate enough to be following a guy on a bike who hit the armco and died instantly as a result of it. Because we were the first car on the scene we got held by the police whilst they carried out a full investigation. Luckily for us we had a camera in the car filming the lap which showed it was purely the rider running out of talent. That was way back in 1998 and I've been going every year thereafter once or twice a year.

I'm returning in September as we are off to spa for the f1 and I cannot wait!! There is no place like it for pure adrenalin rush and the challenge is what keeps me returning. I came close to moving out there I love it so much!! Lol!

8:40's are the aim for me this year or even lower if I take my 15's with track tyres on.
I'd hate to have to witness that, they don't even let you film now! All our footage had to be from passenger holding the camera :(

I totally agree, i'm already planning my second trip can't wait to go! I just want to go round in less than 9 seconds, i know i could do it on a clear track, granted my car has the potential for far better times than that, i still have a lot to learn.

Looks like you had a great trip Lewis, will have to join next time!

Thanks mate, you will indeed, in your car though! ;)

Looks awesome on track mate - well suited to it

I miss pinnochios.. really must try and get back this year

I did a 9.40 when my car was standard a few years back. Hoping for mid 8's this year when I make it back :D
That being said you have to have a special kind of stupidity to push on the 'ring - especially when you're driving your car back again lol!

Thanks mate, car felt so at home there :)

Haha me too, everyone i've shown the pizza photo's too were very Jealous.

I think Rhys Beal got down to around 9 seconds exactly by the end of the weekend in his standard - ish car (Had AST's and Track tyres though) Yes and that was what was in my head the whole time, my brake pads were over half way through there life so i was braking like a girl! Even though they'd easily make it through the weekend and more track days, i just wanted to be careful :)

Also bit of an update, done the track rod ends tonight, didn't solve my clunking, we now think it's the bottom ball joints. Although when we took the track rod ends off, they were shot anyway so was worth doing. Going to my mates farm sunday, he has a 2 post lifter/ramp think in his barn, going to clean up the rust on the sils under the car, and re-paint with under-seal, also going to tidy up the jacking points where they have bent and reinforce them. So the aim for Sunday is to just make the under side of the car alot neater :)

Trafic 140dci
9 seconds. I guess ambition never hurt anyone I suppose lol

Yeah that would be good! ;) I meant 9 minutes, but i think you knew that :p

Nice report and pics, I'm gonna go next year for deffo

Thanks, defiantly well worth going, i can't wait to go back!

Bit of an update, took my car to the local Polish hand car wash for them to get rid of the 1500 miles worth of dead flies etc :) Best £6 i've ever spent as i'd of been on it hours trying to clean them off! The pictures don't do them justice, they actually cleaned the car up very well.

download2-8.jpg

download-12.jpg

Also been to my local Renault Dealership to pick up some service bits, will be doing this later today, waiting for car to cool down a bit first.

download1-9.jpg

GSXR + KDX220
The car looks great on the 2118's Lewis :)

Where were you timing your laps from and to? Shame they dont allow you to have a "flying lap" now but I guess its all in the name of saftey or something. s**t, didnt realise there were 3 deaths, I noticed it was closed for about an hour at one point, any idea of the nature of the crashes? :dapprove:

Normally I don't go over to everyone with a Clio for a conversation. I just noticed your fine cars and the 'ClioSport Stickers'.

I really think the 3 deads are a rumor instead of being a fact.

Maybe we meet next year (Look for this RS in your mirrors!)

18.jpgIMG_0218.jpg

Thats not actuallly me in the picture but a friend of mine.

Search here for more pictures: http://www.ringportal.nl/en/calendar

GSXR + KDX220
Joepster, I have a couple of pictures of your friend's RS on track! I will dig them out later ;)

Trafic 140dci
Normally I don't go over to everyone with a Clio for a conversation. I just noticed your fine cars and the 'ClioSport Stickers'.

I really think the 3 deads are a rumor instead of being a fact.

Maybe we meet next year (Look for this RS in your mirrors!)

View attachment 78922View attachment 78923

Thats not actuallly me in the picture but a friend of mine.

Search here for more pictures: http://www.ringportal.nl/en/calendar
I can understand that i'm the same tbh!

I hope they are, but i'm just going on what i've been told by other people.

Hopefully see you there again :)

PB172,dci100,dci65
Hi Lewis and CS members, I just read through the whole topic, started yesterday :) .....what a story of a clio!

Keep up the good work, maybe we met on some track days after I get used to my 172 (since i own it just for a while).

Trafic 140dci
Little bit of an update since the Ring...

Well over there i developed a clunking noise, it was very random, and very different noises each time, we first thought it was the drive shaft on the way out, but soon came to the conclusion it was the track rod ends as there was some play.

Got back the Monday and picked up the new track rod ends Tuesday night and fitted them then, we then found that wasn't the problem, as guttering as it was, my old track rod ends were both shot so wasn't a bad thing that i changed them anyway!

We then had the idea it may be the lower ball joint, so bought them and changed them Sunday, but done it at my mates farm so i could get my car up on the ramp and have a good nose around. Cut a long story short it wasn't them causing the clunking. BUT after changing the track rod ends it got quieter/happened less often and more so once the ball joints were done too and is only very slight now...

While the car was up on the ramp me and my mate tackled THE most embarrassing part of my car... The sils, throughout my cars life its time on ramps/jacked up/axel stands could probably be measured in years... so has taken its toll on the sils, they were very bent (pushing the side skirts out/off infact) very rusty and in a general bad state, most embarrassing part of them all is to the front of the drivers side where it has bent round from jacking up then when Paul fitted the roll cage as he drilled through the floor to bolt it in he'd also gone through the sil and bolted strait through it! Wouldn't of took 5 minutes to bend the sil back and then the bolt from the cage wouldn't of gone through it! Anyway me and my mate straighten it all up, sanded back all the rust and re painted in Under-seal. To say it looked 100% better was an understatement. No longer is the bottom of my car embarrassing :)

Also whilst at the Ring i had the ABS light come on briefly but soon disappeared so thought nothing of it. But then yesterday it's come on again and hasn't gone out, brakes seem to be working fine, but I'm also wondering if it could be related to my clunking noise...?

Also got no photos as the work on the track rod ends was done in an evening, and Sunday i was hanging after a good night out :eek:

Any other ideas on my clunking noise would be appreciated :)

GSXR + KDX220
Hey Lewis, that was me in the red polo in st faiths.....I thought there can only be one white ph1 with a cage in it round here lol ;.)

Trafic 140dci
Hey Lewis, that was me in the red polo in st faiths.....I thought there can only be one white ph1 with a cage in it round here lol ;.)

Haha! Kelly goes to me "Who was that!?" I said "What do you mean" (hadn't even noticed you waved) and then she said you waved lol!

I also think the last part of your comment is valid anywhere in the UK ;)

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
They are all Powerflex bushes and about 18 months old, so as you can imagine in very good condition.

I had this problem, changed everything and it turned out the Bilsteins needed refurbing! Hopefully be getting them back tomorrow after sending them away since early Feb!! lol

Trafic 140dci
I had this problem, changed everything and it turned out the Bilsteins needed refurbing! Hopefully be getting them back tomorrow after sending them away since early Feb!! lol

How could i diagnose it's my coilies without testing another set on my car? Rhys Beal also had this happen with his AST's.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
How could i diagnose it's my coilies without testing another set on my car? Rhys Beal also had this happen with his AST's.

Well Danny 519 checked mine, all he did was check if the damper had play in it. He just pushed it back and forward when the car was on the lift, and he said that they had play in them.

Trafic 140dci
Well Danny 519 checked mine, all he did was check if the damper had play in it. He just pushed it back and forward when the car was on the lift, and he said that they had play in them.

I see, think i'll get the car up on the axle stands tomorrow night and have a butchers, thanks for the help.